• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino next week!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Susanne, don't worry, you have decided to go - that's the brave bit done! All you need to do now, is relax and enjoy. My mantra for the first days is: Walk. Breathe. Enjoy! And that really is all. You will meet lots of nice people, walk with them a while, lose some, find some others, sleep badly, sleep well, walk in sun and rain and probably get wet, cold, happy, amazed and tearful for some reason at some point. Try not to walk in anyone else's tempo, go where you want to go and stop when you need to. Look after yourself as you would your kids and you'll have a great time! I start from Astorga on the 17th so depending on where you start from we might meet or not. Have a buen camino though!

(Walk, breathe, enjoy - walk, breathe, enjoy - walk, breathe, enjoy ...)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You will have such a great time Susanne. I'm very envious.

Don't worry about trying to connect with people before you get there.

Within hours of arrival you will have found great friends, many of whom you might walk with for days...........

My first night in St Jean I had dinner with two lovely ladies from Australia whom I met up with quite by chance off and on over the next 5 weeks. The Camino is like that :)

In fact, as I think about it........... I walked very slowly due to injury, but even so, of those people I met in the first 24 hours, after arriving in St Jean, most I kept meeting.

A young couple from England I met on and off for about a month.
A couple from Australia I dinned with, walked with for 2 - 3 weeks.
A wonderful Priest from the USA I met up with over about 4 weeks.
A German guy I saw a dozen times more.
Of course the two Ozzie ladies above, whom I last saw in Portomarin.

And that was just the people I met in the first 24 hours.

Others I met later I walked with, dined with, laughed with, helped. and was helped by.....

I almost put all their names in the credits of my amateur 'movie' but didn't because I knew I would forget someone and possibly offend them.

Someone asked me how many people I met, and my very rough answer was............

Well over a hundred, maybe two hundred, I would 'recognise' on the road.
Probably close to a hundred, I would get to know by name.
And maybe 50 I would regularly join at breaks along the way for coffee, lunch, dinner, a glass of wine.

And given that I mostly walked alone, and stayed in private accommodation............. most Pilgrims probably get to know a lot more people!

So.......

Don't worry about arriving alone.............you won't be for long! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try not to walk in anyone else's tempo, go where you want to go and stop when you need to.

Probably the best Camino advice that can be given IMHO.

I recall just outside Leon being caught up by a friend, and I tried to keep pace with him. Just for about 15 minutes.
But that small over extension in my stride to keep up with him was enough.........

It gave me shin splints on top of other injuries that I had to carry for the next 2 weeks to Santiago...........

You'll generally see people again. At the next stop.

I walked very slowly, but kept up with my 'Camino families' overall, because I was just walking an extra hour or two after they had stopped.

I probably went through two or three Camino 'Families', as people eventually pulled away from me due to my slow walking speed.
But that just gave me a chance to meet even more incredible people :)

Within hours of arrival you will have found great friends, many of whom you might walk with for days...........

My first night in St Jean I had dinner with two lovely ladies from Australia whom I met up with quite by chance off and on over the next 5 weeks. The Camino is like that :)

In fact, as I think about it........... I walked very slowly due to injury, but even so, of those people I met in the first 24 hours, after arriving in St Jean, most I kept meeting.

Others I met later I walked with, dined with, laughed with, helped. and was helped by.....

I almost put all their names in the credits of my amateur 'movie' but didn't because I knew I would forget someone and possibly offend them.

Someone asked me how many people I met, and my very rough answer was............

And maybe 50 I would regularly join at breaks along the way for coffee, lunch, dinner, a glass of wine.

And given that I mostly walked alone, and stayed in private accommodation............. most Pilgrims probably get to know a lot more people!

So.......

And Robo your amateur movie was GREAT by the way! It got me all excited, I leave SJPDP on Sept.16 :)

Hello!
Is there anyone starting the Camino on September 9th or around that date?
41 year mother of 3 trying to be brave!! On my own from England would love to hear from anyone who is starting it at a similar time.
Thank you!
Hi Susanne, the alone part don't take long. You will meet lots of other pilgrims and mabe more than you want.
That's the best part meeting people from all over the world.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met people from over 36 countries and at least a couple dozen States! It is truly an amazing experience. Buen Camino!

Hello!
41 year mother of 3 trying to be brave!! On my own from England would love to hear from anyone who is starting it at a similar time.
Thank you!

Hi Susanne, Welcome to the forum and the camino! If you look at the thread you will see the names of some of the forum members that are starting on your date. You can contact any of them there by replying to their post or using the 'start a conversation' function.
There will be many, many pilgrims starting at the same time as you, you won't be on your own for long.:)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/2015-september-pilgrims.34666/

Buen camino Susanne
Sarah

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Probably the best Camino advice that can be given IMHO.

I recall just outside Leon being caught up by a friend, and I tried to keep pace with him. Just for about 15 minutes.
But that small over extension in my stride to keep up with him was enough.........

It gave me shin splints on top of other injuries that I had to carry for the next 2 weeks to Santiago...........

You'll generally see people again. At the next stop.

I walked very slowly, but kept up with my 'Camino families' overall, because I was just walking an extra hour or two after they had stopped.

I probably went through two or three Camino 'Families', as people eventually pulled away from me due to my slow walking speed.
But that just gave me a chance to meet even more incredible people :)

Thank you!!

Thank you everyone!! Feel more confident. Really looking forward to it. It's all new and exciting. I am sure I will bump into lots of people, but have really never done anything on my own! But hey! Life begins at 40!!

Thank you everyone!! Feel more confident. Really looking forward to it. It's all new and exciting. I am sure I will bump into lots of people, but have really never done anything on my own! But hey! Life begins at 40!!

You'll have the time of your life! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And Robo your amateur movie was GREAT by the way! It got me all excited, I leave SJPDP on Sept.16 :)
Julie H, me and my son will also be leaving SJPDP ON THE 16TH, we arrive on the 15th and will spend the day there,leave for first stage on the 16th,we have booked to stay at orrison but may go on depending on how we feel, hope to meet you some time on the way Pat

Hello!
Thank you!
Hi Susanne. I am starting on the 10th and hope to be in SJPP at noon on the 9th and staying there overnight. I am guessing that it should be teaming with pilgrims. See you then. Bob

Hi Suzanne.
You won'the be on your own for long. On the train down to London I sat next to a
lovely lady called Jane......who it turned out had also been to Santiago. This was
before I'd got 50 miles from home ! I remembered Jane throughout my walk and
prayed for her as I'm sure Jane did for me.
As an obsessive worrier I can say that once I'd got started I was as relaxed and as carefree
as I've ever been. Cold, wet, tired, hungry at times. But stress free.
I'm starting again on the 26th September, from Porto this time. Again the nerves and jitters
are kicking in. I guess we all get nervous before big events. If we didn't they wouldn't be big
events. I can't bring myself to use the phrase "feel the fear, but do it anyway" but it does neatly
Sum things up.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

So.......

I really appreciated reading your reply and curious about staying in private accomodations. We are starting our first camino next week and my wife would like to stay in private accomodations when available. Wondering - did you reserve those in advance (we are likely too late for that) or was there any difficulty finding private hotels/hostels when you arrived in towns?
Thanks,

I really appreciated reading your reply and curious about staying in private accomodations. We are starting our first camino next week and my wife would like to stay in private accomodations when available. Wondering - did you reserve those in advance (we are likely too late for that) or was there any difficulty finding private hotels/hostels when you arrived in towns?
Thanks,

I tended to book one day ahead. Never really had a problem.

Hi Susanne, you are not alone don't worry about that. There are more people than you mabe want. Wish you all the best and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!
Thank you!

Hi, Susanne, I'll be arriving in SJPP on the 10th! If our paths cross, I'd be happy to have a coffee and a chat :)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back