Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino ... Only 127km over 5/6days

kjgeraci

Time of past OR future Camino
first
Having only a short period of time to make this pilgrimage, I plan to arrive O Cádavo Sept 11 in the afternoon and begin my Camino on the Wednesday the 12th, with the hope of arriving in Santiago on Sunday the 16th ... Monday at the latest.

As a new pilgrim, I was curious if 25-30km per day on this last stretch was pushing it too hard? I was looking at Gronze.com and my break down seems similar to theirs. I am in pretty good shape and have been walking locally, but I want to make sure that I am not biting off more than I can chew.

My reasons for making this Camino are spiritual ones. I am a Catholic Priest and but worked in business for several years previous to this. I have a very, very strong will and have the desire to surrender. My concern is if I start just out side of Lugo (100km) and walk this route, it will be too easy and my body & mind will not have hit that yield/surrender point (it takes me a few days to settle into a silent retreat). But on the other hand, will starting in O Cádavo be too much to do in 5 days?

Thanks for your advice.

Stages.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.31.29 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.15.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.15.40 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.31.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.31.53 PM.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You have set yourself up to start with a very hard day, but as long as your knees can take it, it's by no means impossible.

It might be smart to ensure you're not planning to leave Santiago on the 17th, in case you find that you need an extra day.

Bring poles, and learn to walk with them before you go! You will thank me on the downhill stretches...

@kjgeraci
Welcome
You sound like you’re fit enough (to me).,to tackle your 127klms. The final 4 days will be a breeze.
Lugo is worth a look and walk around the top of the wall too. You’ll be able to manage it all with a smile.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I think it is doable.

I finished the Primitivo last June. Due to an injury, I did not do much training before, so the first days on the Camino Primitivo were very hard for me. The last 5 days I walked O Cadavo - Lugo - Ferreira - Melide - Salceda - Santiago. I know other pilgrims who did it in 4 days. So if you walk frequently it should not be a problem.

BC Alexandra

Ultimately, you are the one who must answer this question? :)Always have a plan B that you will not likely need.

Thank you all for the responses. I have found an 9 mile loop with some "hills" here work up and down with trekking poles. Thanks for the advice. Buen Camino!

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 12.17.53 AM.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That should be doable. It’s pretty much the standard for what people do (my wife and I included, and we’re in our late ‘60’s). The first day will be the tough one, over 30 kilometers with a steep uphill to start. But since you’re arriving in O Cadaveo on Tuesday afternoon, you might choose to make it a little bit easier on yourself by walking that afternoon approx. 7-8 k to Castroverde, which would leave you a level stroll of 22-23 k. to Lugo on Wednesday. O Cadevo is nothing special as a town, and Castroverde is small and cute, with both an albergue and a pension. The short walk on Tuesday will help shake out the travel stiffness, and you’ll arrive more refreshed in Lugo the next day, which will give you more time and energy to explore that fantastic and gorgeous city.

you might choose to make it a little bit easier on yourself by walking that afternoon approx. 7-8 k to Castroverde,

Great idea! Thanks you for this insight.

I think I should arrive in O Cadaveo by around 3pm; If I take it easy I should be able to do (this specific) 8k in 2.5hrs? It should put me in Castroverde around 5/6pm. I assume you can get an albergue at that time?

Shouldn’t be a problem doing the distance in 2.5 hours. It’s uphill right out of O Cadavo, but easy walking, and after the first kilometer or so, it’s mostly downhill. I don’t imagine you’d have a problem getting a place in the albergue late in the afternoon. According to Gronze.com (the Bible of the Camino), there’s 34 spaces there, and since almost everyone on the Primitivo will choose to stop at O Cadavo (as we and everyone we knew did), it’s very unlikely that there’s going to be much competition for beds at a town only 7-8 kilometers further on. By the way, that albergue in Castroverde gets very good reviews on Gronze. When we could, we’ve always broken up tough first days this way — by doing 5-10 k right after we arrived at the starting point — and it takes the edge off what’s always going to be the hardest day. And I don’t think you’ll regret arriving in Lugo a bit fresher the next day, with most of an afternoon to explore it.

Buen camino, whatever you choose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shouldn’t be a problem doing the distance in 2.5 hours. It’s uphill right out of O Cadavo, but easy walking, and after the first kilometer or so, it’s mostly downhill. I don’t imagine you’d have a problem getting a place in the albergue late in the afternoon. According to Gronze.com (the Bible of the Camino), there’s 34 spaces there, and since almost everyone on the Primitivo will choose to stop at O Cadavo (as we and everyone we knew did), it’s very unlikely that there’s going to be much competition for beds at a town only 7-8 kilometers further on. By the way, that albergue in Castroverde gets very good reviews on Gronze.

This info helps creates options, Thank You. I'll look through Gronze and, assuming all goes well with my arrival, I will plan to spend my first night in Castroverde.

Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back