• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Overwhelmed!!!

elbosterix

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 23 (French)
Feb/March 24 (Portugues)
Dear community,

First of all, thanks for reading! 😊

I've been dreaming of doing El Camino for years... and I feel our planets have finally aligned for me to be able to do it.

I am planning to do the French Camino, and thinking of starting from SJPDP around the first week of April 2023.

I'm not concerned about the walking itself, as I'm used to walk long distances and I feel to be reasonable fit.

I'm more concerned about the weather, and the fact that I'm a complete illiterate with regards to gear, backpacks, thermals, sleeping bags and similar technical related terms (not a fan of camping or mountain trekking, etc.)

I'm more of a summer person (lived in Australia for more than 15 years) and dislike cold temperatures, but I only have this chance of doing el Camino in April/May so I don't have a choice to wait for warmer weather.

Also, I've been living in Qatar for the last 2 years, and I noticed that I have unfortunately acclimatised to the local weather (around 50 degrees Celsius in Summer and minimum of 20 degrees in winter). I feel it's currently freezing and temperatures are between 16-19 at the moment, so I'm getting concerned about what to expect weather wise and what to pack.

For these reasons I would probably take the alternative route of Valcarlos, as I know my limitations and I rather stay away from the snow/mountain etc. After reading about the sort of temperatures to expect, I'm wondering if I should start from Pamplona instead....

I'm still uncertain on whether to pack a sleeping bag, on what sort of pants to use, layers, etc. and so many questions...

I've been overwhelmed by the amount of information on socks, on cotton vs synthetic, on thermals and the likes!!! hahah I just want to walk the Camino...

Anyway this is me venting and sharing... this forum is fantastic...appreciate everyone's contributions.

Cheers,

Mariano

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
elbosterix,

Welcome to the forum.
You are planning quite an adventure!

April is usually considered the beginning of the tourist season so many other forum readers will also be starting off.
For more information/tips on walking the historic Valcarlos route see
this earlier post. That is the route I always followed whatever the season. Do be aware that there are no services or supply stops between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. Be sure to carry trail snacks and water.

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!

It's a bit early to plan either the Napoleon or Valcarlos routes, as the weather this Winter is unusually warm. In good weather, the higher route is not chilly at all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear elbosterix,

welcome to the community.

Remember that both routes are crossing an alpine region. Everything wheaterwise can happen.
It can be sunny at 15°C or it can be snowing by -5°C! Be prepared! If the Route Napolean is closed, don't try it. That can happen till end of May.
Even in the time I walked (1st July), it was not recommended to walk the Route Napolean due to forecasted strong winds and rain.

Layers are a good way to keep packing light and to mix the clothes to feel well and protected. Bring sleepingbag, many albergues don't have proper heating.
If you are shopping for walking stuff: trust your guts and your feelings! Only good fitting clothes and shoes (better boots in April) will lead to a comfortable walk. Every $ spent on good shoes and socks are well spent!

I will walk the Camino Portugues coastal from end of March to mid of April and will reach SdC on April, 5th and try to reach Finisterre this time.

Here in the forum you'll find all information you need! Just use the search-function.

Have fun planning and walking!

Buen Camino!

Dear community,

I've been dreaming of doing El Camino for years... and I feel our planets have finally aligned for me to be able to do it.

I am planning to do the French Camino, and thinking of starting from SJPDP around the first week of April 2023.

I'm not concerned about the walking itself, as I'm used to walk long distances and I feel to be reasonable fit.

I'm more concerned about the weather, and the fact that I'm a complete illiterate with regards to gear, backpacks, thermals, sleeping bags and similar technical related terms (not a fan of camping or mountain trekking, etc.)

It is very common to feel overwhelmed as you get closer to starting.

It is possible that like many of us, you are overthinking things.

It is "just" a longish series of daily walks.

I hesitate to add further advice that will only add to the background cacophony, but as you have said that you don't have much experience walking in the mountains or in cold conditions then:
- your need a jacket that is warm, windproof and resists moisture, a warm hat (wool), possibly gloves, wool socks, comfortable trail shoes and "layers" of clothes.
- while walking in the mountains in Spring can get dangerously cold it can also be hot, depending on the weather on the day and at the moment. The layers of clothing allows you to adjust the amount of warmth to match the conditions.
- the less weight in your pack and on your back the better for you and so you need to balance the amount and type of clothes that you bring with the utility that they provide. Generally, the modern hiking clothes from hiking shops will be best as they use modern fabrics designed to be light and matched to energetic activities. Do NOT wear jeans in the mountains unless you have a death wish.
- as @mspath has advised, carry some water and high energy food at all times.

I'm more of a summer person (lived in Australia for more than 15 years) and dislike cold temperatures, but I only have this chance of doing el Camino in April/May so I don't have a choice to wait for warmer weather.

Also, I've been living in Qatar for the last 2 years, and I noticed that I have unfortunately acclimatised to the local weather (around 50 degrees Celsius in Summer and minimum of 20 degrees in winter). I feel it's currently freezing and temperatures are between 16-19 at the moment, so I'm getting concerned about what to expect weather wise and what to pack.

For these reasons I would probably take the alternative route of Valcarlos, as I know my limitations and I rather stay away from the snow/mountain etc. After reading about the sort of temperatures to expect, I'm wondering if I should start from Pamplona instead....

I'm still uncertain on whether to pack a sleeping bag, on what sort of pants to use, layers, etc. and so many questions...

As @Roland49 has said, take a sleeping bag. He also suggests that you wear boots. If you were only going to walk in the mountains, potentially in snow, mud and water then I would agree but out of some thirty plus walking days you really only need boots on perhaps five of those days and so (again) on balance I would suggest trail shoes instead as they are, for me, the best compromise, more comfortable and the lightest weight.

I've been overwhelmed by the amount of information on socks, on cotton vs synthetic, on thermals and the likes!!! hahah I just want to walk the Camino...

Anyway this is me venting and sharing... this forum is fantastic...appreciate everyone's contributions.

Cheers,

Mariano
Buen Camino

Last edited:
April is when I usually walk. Yep, its been cold at times, but also pretty warm at times. Over a month, you will get a bit of everything. As others have pointed out, packing is about LAYERS. You will need a light rain jacket/wind shell, a fleece, and a couple of long sleeve shirts. Some take a puffy down vest as well. What you need to imagine is that on the coldest day you might have (0C in a wind), you are wearing everything in your pack all at once. You peel them off as the day warms up - which it will. That might sound impossibly cold to a desert dweller, but for many of us, that's just a Tuesday in winter time. I walk at home all winter in temperatures like that with a merino t-shirt, a long sleeve merino, a polyester long sleeve, a fleece hoodie, and a rain shell. You'll be fine. It's a great time of year to walk the Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Before rushing out to buy stuff, take a look at what you already have. Even in April, a good pair of training shoes might be enough.

A well fitted backpack and well fitting shoes/boots are your two bigger ticket items. Use the forum’s search function to find threads on how to fit a backpack; davebugg has posted good advice on that. There are opinions galore about which brand, what size pack you need - just make sure it fits comfortably.

The lighter the weight you carry, the easier time you will have carrying it all; but don’t sacrifice what you really need. There are pilgrims wearing the highest tech clothing and others wearing jeans (although jeans are a bugger to clean).

Read a few threads were people have posted their packing lists and that may give you a sense of what’s essential. For many of us, we have only two sets of clothing: one on the body, one in the bag.

Your starting point can be decided when you get there, based on the weather.

Welcome.

Welcome elbosterix. April/May is a good time for the Camino. The weather is usually good and there will be plenty of others around you. As mentioned above, there is plenty of information to be found on this forum and feeling anxious is perfectly normal. Have look around and work out any specific questions you may have and someone will be glad to answer them for you. Buen Camino!

Why not start in Pamplona then?
There is no obligation whatsoever to start in StJPdP.
It is simply a thing that a lot of people do because a lot of other people do.
There is no need to follow the crowds.

Why not fly to Madrid, travel to Pamplona and take a day or two in that lovely town to get used to the climate and the weather? To each their challenge, and IMO, from your description, the weather will be a big part of yours. On your way, you may be able to escape from fellow pilgrims that irritate you, you may get rid of a tiny pebble in your shoe, but the weather will accompany you 24 / 7 no matter what.

Whatever you decide, ¡buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear community,

Cheers,

Mariano
Hi Mariano!
I started from SJPDP on the 6th of April 2018. You will experience both rain and sunshine. I walked the Napoleon route in lovely weather, two days later they got 40 cm of snow there. You really never know before you are walking out of the gates in SJPDP. Do Napoleon if the weather is nice. It is hard, but worth it.
Clothing: As a norwegian I recommend thin wool on the inside, from socks to the top. it isolates both cold and warm weather, and it does not stink like most syntetic materials!
Shoes: Use trails runners, you dont need hiking boots. I used Salomon Speedcross without GTX, loved it! Buy shoes that are a bit oversixed, your feed will get bigger during the weeks.
As you get futher and further west, the hotter it will get. The coldest day was -3 at Cruz de Ferro, the last week in Galicia we had +30.
More tips:
1) Stay away from cotton.
2) Dont bring cargo pants/shorts with big side pocket that you stuff full of shit :-D
3) See tip no. 1 regarding cotton.

Buen Camino!

Personally, I disagree with the comment about cargo trousers/shorts. I use them for the pockets so what I need, or need to keep secure, is at hand.

A significant advantage of SJPP for a starting point (although April weather is variable) is that so many people start there that there is a real sense of excitement in the air.
When I arrived in SJPP I had already been on the road for several weeks and it was something that was very noticeable to me. While I met new Pilgrims in Pamplona, the atmosphere was nowhere near the same.

Every new thing can seem overwhelming at the start. The more you read and learn the more things will seem less overwhelming.

At the end of the day there is a huge difference between sitting at home, contemplating a walk of several weeks and actually doing it. The reality is usually different to the scary perception. If you have the wrong clothes you can always get more. Sleeping bag too cold? Wear a sweater. Too cold & wet? Get a taxi. You can always return and do it tomorrow.
The one really important thing to have well sorted is the footwear but it seems like you already have that under control.

Remember, people have being doing this walk for hundreds of years, often with just the clothes on their back.

Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OOOHH!!!! Can you tell I am a noob by panicking that my cargopant plan would be a fail! HAAHHAH!!! I did appreciate the other joke, though! I would add cotton or "man-man without technical attributes" as there is nothing worse than a "sport shirt" that seems to cling to odor as if can promise the shirt life itself.

Welcome and Buen Camino!

I envy your excitement mixed with dread as you get ready for your first Camino. I've done 3 now and, although I look forward to each one, the anticipation of that first one is incomparable.

You've come to the right place for information and advice. Even experienced pilgrims will disagree on some fundamentals (sleeping bag/blanket; boots/trainers/sandals, blister prevention, etc.) so you will have to go with your gut for most of your decisions.

Useful advice I was given here before my first Camino:
1. The Camino breaks you down before it builds you up.
2. Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man.

Use common sense, listen to your body, have a good guidebook, use hiking poles.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask for advice here anytime.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear community,

Cheers,

Mariano
Mariano, please feel free to join my Facebook Group, Camino Santiago Planning 2023.
it is NOT a discussion group, just so you know.
It is a guidebook based on my own experience of walking the Camino over 20 times.
Maybe you might get some information that will help you without being overwhelmed.
I also have a YouTube Channel called Anniesantiago13

Welcome and Buen Camino!

I envy your excitement mixed with dread as you get ready for your first Camino. I've done 3 now and, although I look forward to each one, the anticipation of that first one is incomparable.

You've come to the right place for information and advice. Even experienced pilgrims will disagree on some fundamentals (sleeping bag/blanket; boots/trainers/sandals, blister prevention, etc.) so you will have to go with your gut for most of your decisions.

Useful advice I was given here before my first Camino:
1. The Camino breaks you down before it builds you up.
2. Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man.

Use common sense, listen to your body, have a good guidebook, use hiking poles.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask for advice here anytime.
Thanks for your kind message.

Could you explain the benefit of the hiking poles? I've never understood why they are needed.

Could you explain the benefit of the hiking poles? I've never understood why they are needed.
I can not explain it, but I can tell you that it helps. I used one pole the last to weeks, my walking partned used the other.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mariano, please feel free to join my Facebook Group, Camino Santiago Planning 2023.
It is a guidebook based on my own experience of walking the Camino over 20 times.
Maybe you might get some information that will help you without being overwhelmed.
I've just joined!

For me, the big benefit was that they took weight off my knees. I really resisted them at first. They didn't fit my image of "my" pilgrimage at all. This wasn't my first Camino or first backpacking trip and I had never needed them. My son suggested I buy a pair in Roncesvalles (where we started) and I said no. I still resisted when he suggested again in Zubiri. But by Puenta la Reina, after the challenging descents into Zubiri and from the Alto de Perdon, my knees were in bad shape. I bought those supportive knee sleeves and took ibuprofen. It wasn't enough. I bought knee braces and took larger doses of ibuprofen. It wasn't enough. I bought one of those big wooden hiking staffs, along with the knee brace and ibuprofen combo. It wasn't quite enough. Finally, in Viana, I gave in and bought hiking poles. I'm convinced they saved my Camino.

In addition to taking weight off the knees, we found they added a km or two to our average walking speed without making us more tired. They helped push us up hills. And they helped provide balance on tricky ground.

From the moment I bought them I've always used them on Caminos and long walks, although I seem to have left my knee issues behind (knock wood). I know they aren't for everyone. Some are fine without them. Some bring them and use them sparingly. I use them all the time. Better they carry me than I carry them.

This is very good advice. Probably the best ‘Camino 101’ I’ve seen and written by someone who has walked more caminos that many could imagine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I was a pole-sceptic when I was young, but then found all the alpine guides in the mid 80s were starting to use them. They universally said that they would extend their guiding career by a few years and since then I’m a convert.

Last edited:

The theory is quite simple. Hiking poles provide additional stability to the user when walking on uneven ground, AND, when used properly they relieve some percentage of pressure off the user's feet and knees by sharing it with the arms and poles.

In practice, the ground is not uneven over 98% of the Frances, although it can be quite uneven for the other 2%, and many people feel more confident when using them. As to taking pressure off the feet and knees, this part is where you must use them properly. Your arms need to push down on the poles with some level of force to achieve this benefit.

In practice, a huge majority of pilgrims carry hiking poles. The benefits to improving stability are undeniable. As for taking force off the knees, all I can say is that I have seen thousands of pilgrims using poles over thousands of miles on the Camino. The vast majority place them ever so gingerly, not putting any force on them at all. For these pilgrims, there is a negative benefit because they are a pound heavier than they would be if they didn't have them at all.

Try them. If used properly, they will help. If not used properly they may be considered a security blanket. Full disclosure, I carry one pole. I tried to learn the technique, and found it was not helpful to me. The one pole finds my right hand on the descents from Zubiri, Alto del Perdon, and Acebo, as well as anywhere else where the trail gets slippery. Other than that, it is fashionably strapped to my pack on sunny days, wherein other pilgrims sometimes tell me I'm not using it properly.

Dear community,

Cheers,

Mariano
Dear Mariano
DoughnutANZ has a good summation of ideas.
While I do not wish to add to the cacophony, here's my 2 cents. I will say I always use waterproof shoes/boots. Others will say they never use them because their feet sweat, but I have never had a problem with this, and I delight in having dry feet. As to socks, I cannot wear merino wool because of mild allergy. I get good hiking socks that have padding where I need it. Layering is the best for variable temps. Elsewhere you will find the recommendation about gathering all your equipment, clothing and what-nots, laying them out, getting rid of half of it, and then getting rid of half of that again. I always carry water with me as well as some kind of energy bars. Good idea to keep a copy of your passport/visa, insurance info and credit card on your phone or in the Cloud. Go through Gronze to learn about the route(s) and places to stay and where you can get groceries or eat in restaurants. That way you can plan ahead. Beware of Sundays--many places are closed. Wash your clothes once you are in the albergue so they can be dry by morning (I use Zote, a Mexican laundry soap bar, but periodically you will come across machines that have soap automatically dispensed--if you have clothing that can't take fabric softener or overpowering scent, you can stick with hand laundering). Take your shower and fix your dinner or find a good place to eat. Talk with pilgrims and locals, write in your journal, edit your photos, read a book. Review your walk for the following day.
Mainly let the Camino show you its lessons, and know that when you need something, the Camino will provide.
Be blessed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thank you for asking this question! Im another noob and Ive asked this ? to myself while reading these boards many times. And you've elicited some very good answers here re. poles. I still think I'll hold off and buy them on Camino if I have a problem with my knees which I have not had in the past.

I also totally understand your overwhelmed-ness! I was, too, when I first found this site. The amount of information is overwhelming and opinions can be absolute ("no cargo shorts") or a little fuzzy ("just find what works for you!" Thanks but I can't afford to buy multiple options to try out before I leave!) I've had sleepless nights agonizing over Camino decisions even though Im not going until the fall. Im starting to relax now after reading obsessively for a few weeks. Kathy F.s's advice above is where Im starting to settle out: gather information and advice here but, in the end, follow your gut.

Also, Rick M.'s advice jibes with what my gut was telling me:

"What you need to imagine is that on the coldest day you might have (0C in a wind), you are wearing everything in your pack all at once. You peel them off as the day warms up - which it will."

I think you also need to plan for warmth when you stop walking and the sun goes down. There's no central heating in Europe in my experience. Canada, where I'm from, never gets as cold as a damp stone building at 5 to 10C. Chilled to the bone!

Buon Camino!

In addition to taking weight off the knees, we found they added a km or two to our average walking speed without making us more tired. They helped push us up hills. And they helped provide balance on tricky ground

Although I was a bit of a pole skeptic before my first Camino I use them for the reasons that @David Tallan mentioned and more.

They help improve my posture when my center of gravity is altered because I'm carrying my Camino backpack. I noticed when I walked without poles for a hour or so my upper back was sore.

They also keep my arms toned. I might think that I can do some push-ups at the end of the day's walk, but as you can imagine that's one of the last things I want to do when I'd rather be sipping a tinto de verano and relaxing with other pilgrims.

Although I was a bit of a pole skeptic before my first Camino I use them for the reasons that @David Tallan mentioned and more.

They help improve my posture when my center of gravity is altered because I'm carrying my Camino backpack. I noticed when I walked without poles for a hour or so my upper back was sore.

They also keep my arms toned. I might think that I can do some push-ups at the end of the day's walk, but as you can imagine that's one of the last things I want to do when I'd rather be sipping a tinto de verano and relaxiApparently ng with other pilgrims.
One more benefit that I forgot to mention. When I started my 2016 Camino, I noticed something weird that I had never experienced: my hands would swell up. Apparently that's a thing. You can stop the swelling in various ways. But it disappeared when I started using the poles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yes, I understand. They always seemed clumsy, unnecessary, noisy (click, clack, click, clack . . . ), extra weight I wouldn't need.

On the advice of members on this forum whose opinions I respected, I bought a pair for my first Camino and brought them, planning to fold them and pack them away in a pocket of my backpack. Boy, was I wrong.

Hiking poles change you from a two-footed animal into a four-footed animal.

One example, in which I early on was grateful I had poles:

I was walking that infamous patch at Zubiri on my first Camino. It was raining, the trail was not as nice as it is now. I had my poles out and was crossing a small stone bridge over a very temporary stream. I didn't see the barbed wire off the side of the bridge until it was too late.

Since I was still new at the Camino and the weight distribution of my backpack (which was balanced), I was cautious crossing the wet and possibly slippery stones on this unbanistered, rocky and uneven, bridge.

I hit a slippery patch and skidded. But, like I said, I had my poles out and was able to balance back easily and quickly, with no harm done. The people behind didn't notice that I slipped and righted myself, it happened so quickly.

At that moment, spotting the barbed wire off to the side, I thanked my guardian angels who compelled me to use those poles that morning. My Camino would have been very short otherwise - what, 3 days??

The minor inconvenience of carrying those poles was made up by the benefit of having them if needed.

I guess, the thing about hiking poles is that you don't need them until you need them, no matter your age or physical ability.

Hello @elbosterix and All,

I am a new pilgrim but hopefully I can offer a little insight - I walked from SJPDP last year starting at the end of April finishing in Santiago and Muxia at the beginning of June. I then returned and walked from Sarria to Santiago in December.

There is a remarkable difference - in the weather and in the amenities. April is a good time. It is getting busy so most places will be opening, but it is not so busy that you feel crowded. A week or two after I started the numbers starting each day increased significantly.

Having also lived in hot climates, how each person deals with the cold will vary greatly and so advice must be tailored to you. I acclimatize quite quickly, and when I'm walking it seems my body is a radiator. Others feel every second of cold.

The advice offered by a number of members is to pack in Layers and this is the best way. Each thin layer adds more heat and protection than just packing a ski jacket. Try a fast wicking base layer - one that you can wash easily each day and will be the one that gets sweaty. Add a shirt. A down jacket is a godsend. They warm you up significantly, but also crush down to pack well when you aren't wearing it. The debate of Poncho vs Rain jacket is a big one here - I prefer the poncho, but as i say i am warm blooded - if you feel the cold perhaps the rain jacket is the better option. If the weather forecast is looking bleak when you are about to start then take both. Unfortunately we cant predict what it will be like this april until we get there.

The killer is when you have cold feet! So make sure you have clean, dry socks and a change of footwear (most people seem to favor sandals as the second pair, I however like a pair of lightweight slip on shoes as they are warmer, but you need to keep them dry).

As for sleeping. I used my sleeping bag every day. Some days it was warm so I left it unzipped, others it was zipped up. I would 100% recommend you take one if you are prone to feeling cold. You can, when calling to book your albergue ask if they have blankets, a lot of them do and if you feel the cold it may help.

I spent a lot of time and thought "Over planning" and "Over Worrying". See all my previous posts!!
In hindsight I would recommend two things:
1 - Pack Light. Take only what you must, but try and leave yourself a little extra "in case fund". If you walk from SJPDP to Pamplona and are really struggling with the cold you can nip in decathlon or another store. There are so many along the way. It will be cheaper to buy a new down Jacket / Fleece / Layer if you need it, than to package up 5kg of stuff you don't need and send it home. And your feet, ankles and knees will thank you for it!
2 - Try not to overthink or worry. Enjoy the prep and consider what is best for you, but see point one. Walking the Frances in April there are TONNES of services and support where you can get stuff you need.

Hope this helps.

p.s. as the conversation has veered to walking poles - I rarely used mine, mostly on treacherous downhills, and occasionally when I was feeling it at the end of a long day, but my dad that I walked with used them the whole time as they helped take some of the weight of the pain in his ankle. If you are taking them PLEASE buy pole tips for when you are walking on concrete to dull the noise of the metal points on the road :)

Hi everyone,

It's been almost a week since my post.

I've been spending hours every day: reading, pondering, and more reading!

I just wanted to thank all of you for your amazing support.

There is still a lot for me to read and decide, but for starters, I feel much more comfortable with my first decision. I will be starting my camino from Roncesvalles, and that in itself has brought some peace of mind.

I will be tentatively starting on 5th April, so he good thing is that I still have some time :)

Thanks again for your comments, suggestions and ideas.

Cheers,

Mariano

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is still a lot for me to read and decide, but for starters, I feel much more comfortable with my first decision. I will be starting my camino from Roncesvalles, and that in itself has brought some peace of mind.
I started both my Caminos Frances from Roncesvalles, so I'm not going to say it is a bad place to start. And when you get to the "Halfway Point" marker, just before Sahagun, it will be the halfway point for you, because it is measured from Roncesvalles. For those walking from further away, the halfway point actually comes a little sooner.

Hi everyone,

It's been almost a week since my post.

I've been spending hours every day: reading, pondering, and more reading!

I just wanted to thank all of you for your amazing support.

I will be tentatively starting on 5th April, so he good thing is that I still have some time :)

Thanks again for your comments, suggestions and ideas.

Cheers,

Mariano
Hi Mariano!
This means that you will start five years (on the day) after the day I started my Camino from SJPDP. One last advise (I was given the same from a friend before my Camino)
He said; "Just walk and enjoy, everything will fall into it´s place"
Buen Camino!

Hi Mariano!
This means that you will start five years (on the day) after the day I started my Camino from SJPDP. One last advise (I was given the same from a friend before my Camino)
He said; "Just walk and enjoy, everything will fall into it´s place"
Buen Camino!
I'll wish you a happy anniversary! :)
I haven't started el camino but I already feel the love of this community and feel inspired by it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I feel much more comfortable with my first decision. I will be starting my camino from Roncesvalles, and that in itself has brought some peace of mind.
That seems like a good decision. It eliminates the uncertainties around the conditions between SJPP and Roncesvalles. Besides, Spaniards tend to think of Roncesvalles as the start of the Camino Frances. There is a great sense of excitement - people are really getting started on their trip across Spain. The prior day was a bit of an initiation rite for many, but you will soon get to know others, especially if you join a table of pilgrims for dinner in Roncesvalles. The albergue is big, but I found it to be very comfortable and a good way to interact with others but still retain a sense of independence.

On other matters - I recommend taking a lightweight sleeping bag. For clothes, remember that two light layers are better than one heavier one for example, you do not need a winter jacket - rather you need a couple of merino long sleeve shirts and a lighter shell jacket to wear over them. However, I do enjoy a puffy down jacket or sleeveless vest to wear on chilly evenings or even while I'm sleeping. It makes more sense to carry the separate wearable item than to have a warmer sleeping bag. I also take merino long underwear to wear for sleeping. A merino wool buff is good to keep warm first thing in the morning, and then can easily be removed while walking, once you warm up.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.