• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino Panic attack

sweetlee213

It wasn't really a panic attack, but today I am 13 days away from getting on a plane and touching down in Paris to begin the biggest adventure of my life.
I'm a worrier by nature, but every couple of years I say "Screw it. Life is too short," and I do something that scares me.
Trips I take don't usually sink in until a week or a few days before I leave. When I first decided to walk the Camino my mind kept me awake at night going through all the things that could possibly go wrong between Paris and Madrid(where I'll be flying home from). Now, I am oscillating between excitement and asking myself "What the h-ll are you doing?"

Anyone else have the same feelings before your Caminos?

Laura-Lee

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I went through numerous scenarios. Lost luggage. Tendinitis. Not enough training. By the time I got on my flight to Madrid I was convinced I wouldn't make it past day three.

What happen? I lost my luggage. I missed my train to Hendaya. (You can check out my ordeal on the way to SJPP here: http://homerstravels.com/2011/08/camino-de-santiago-getting-to-saint.html) I developed tendinitis in my right ankle on day four. I made it all the way to SDC and continued on to Fisterra.

Life threw me some curve balls and I made it and had one of the best times of my life.

I won't ask you to not worry. People told me not to worry and I still did. Just sit back and let the Camino wash over you and have a great time.

Hi Laura-Lee!

Yes, I think that's pretty normal. Most people on their first Camino have never done anything like it before. You can see on this forum that many pilgrims are not experienced long-distance hikers, which is one of the great things about it.

It won't help you much now, but by the time you finish your Camino you'll wonder why you were concerned. The simplicity is why people find it so liberating - wake, eat, walk, eat, walk, eat, sleep. As long as you can do all these things there's not much to go wrong really. Just do these things at your pace and comfortably.

If God forbid you had equipment problems etc it could get a little more complicated - wake, eat, walk, taxi, shop, eat.... :D

You might not want to go home. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Homer-Dog said:
Just sit back and let the Camino wash over you and have a great time.

This is what I want most of all. In my past travels there have been moments that went wrong, moments that made me cry as I am quite sensitive, but when it is all said and done, all I have is beautiful memories of places, feelings, food, and people. Thank you for the words of advice. I'm back to being excited! :mrgreen:

Shalom Laura-Lee and Greetings from Jerusalm

This is no real comfort but just a consideration; in 2011 almost 150,000 people successfully completed the Camino. Thousands more walked particular sections most of them in order to enjoy the experience. You are joining the ranks of millions who went before you and who, despite all, walked into Santiago. The many different branches of the European Camino look like a large river with many tributaries, you are just another drop, an important one, but just a drop in the mighty stream flowing across the continent and into the cathedral. Don't worry but enjoy the ride, there is so much to do to see to experience, prepare to be overwhelmed by the art, the architecture, the natural beauty along the way, the spirituality which will occur, and the instant camaraderie generated among friends who five minutes ago were total strangers. You are so close to seeing your life change- should you allow it to happen. Fantastic

Scruffy

Anxiety and panic affect many of us a great deal. Learning to get around and bypass issues can mitigate situations as can rehearsing mentally for what may occur. Sometimes it can be best if it all actually does happen - one can be left saying so was it so awful after all? was it worth the dread and worry?
Anticipatory dread can be all consuming.
On a personal level, years of depression, anxiety and O.C.D. have lead to withdrawl and avoidance on my part - hence my admiraton for those who manage to get on with it, just do it, take up the reins and charge instead of just jousting at windmills in the mind. It has taken me a decade to inch forward and back towards stretching the edges of comfort zones so as to enale me to coexist with anxiety and panic.
So, I wish you every kind thought and care on your Camino and that iy will be the fantastic opportunity, catalyst and conduit for change you wish to be for your ongoing wellbeing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
sweetlee213 said:
I'm a worrier by nature, but every couple of years I say "Screw it. Life is too short," and I do something that scares me ...
Now, I am oscillating between excitement and asking myself "What the h-ll are you doing?"
Hi Laura-Lee, I have been away by myself a number of times now and each time I ask myself that very same question. Then I take a deep breath and set off.

It takes a very short time to feel like you're just where you're meant to be. The feeling of isolation/strangeness/concern etc usually only lasts till you start talking to other pilgrims and realise they feel just like you do. For some reason, it's very comforting when everyone's in the same boat.

I also recognise that "life is too short" thought. How delicious it is to feel the fear and do it anyway! :)

I just finish the Portuguese Camino and don't know if it is true of everyone, in my case I found a positive attitude in all things and a child like wonder at everything that comes that made it for me. No thought of injuries or anything that would spoil the Camino. Enjoy every minute as it comes, good things will come to you, you will meet interesting and diverse people.
Buen Camino.
Cote. 8) :arrow:

Laura-Lee,

the short answer to your question is "oh yes". Had a minor panic attack, just heart bumps and a sense of distraction, when I re-packed for the third time, and a major one at London Paddington when it sunk in that planning had morphed into action. Needed my inhaler for that one.

I have been home for 4 weeks now having enjoyed so much of what the camino has to offer and have noted for next time "no need to panic".

As my teacher used to say - " Breathe deeply - unless you are under water."

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
sweetlee213 said:
... today I am 13 days away from getting on a plane and touching down in Paris to begin the biggest adventure of my life. ..... Now, I am oscillating between excitement and asking myself "What the h-ll are you doing?" Anyone else have the same feelings before your Caminos?
Excitement? Yes. Second thoughts? No.
It's your next biggest adventure. The first one being alive and coping well!
Do your Camino one step at the time and look where you put your feet. Thus you will not stumble and have a great experience.
Ultreya :)

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and for sharing some of your more personal stories. If i even half the peregrinos I meet are as kind as the people on this forum are I am in for an amazing camino. :mrgreen:

First camino , worried about everything
That was 6 years ago and after longer. harder and more expensive $$ camino 's each year i have finally relaxed.
Enjoty Sweetie something if done right will change you very much indeed.
Have a great camino, take your time [ watch people running ] and enjoy.
**Your life will be lived as you did your camino.
Safe travels and Buen Camino,
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nerves are your worst enemy. But they are also your best friend out there. They assure you will not be afflicted with a case of 'the lazies'. They will give you impetus to get up and on with it, each and every day. Knock 'em dead!

Bill 'Skywalker'

I'm right there with you Laura-Lee. We're leaving the states in 6 days. The thought of being homeless for 5 weeks is a bit intimidating. Having some second thoughts about our travel plans, particularly promising my son that we would see the running of the bulls. However, I trust that in the end it will be a trip we'll never forget.

Paul

Me to, very nervous and leaving in, what's the date today?, 11 days. I have fussed and fretted over everything connected with this trip and packed and repacked. I have walked so much in the last two months, it feels like I am trying to prewalk it. :roll:

Now I see rain showers on the 14 day weather forecast for Roncessvalles on July 1, 2 and wonder if I should throw rain pants into my pack :shock:

Honestly, enough already, time to just get walking!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yosemite Paul: From the San Fermin website, information on the running of the bulls:
From the street
The run can be watched from behind the wooden fence which lines the most part of the route. The longest stretch of fencing is at the Town Hall square, and at the end of Mercaderes Street, as well as all along the most part of Estafeta Street and the stretch which goes from the end of that street on into the bull ring.

The fencing is double-lined and the spectators must remain behind the second line of fencing. The first line of fencing is kept clear for runners who need to make a quick exit from the path of the bulls. And in the spacing between the two rows of fencing only the medical teams, the police and perhaps some press photographers are allowed to stand.

To find a good spot behind the fence means taking up position at about 6.30 in the morning. Inevitably, this means waiting round, bored to tears and out of sorts until eight o'clock when the run begins. There is no way you can "book a place in advance". Anyone who wants to see the run must take up their position and hold it. And in the end the view is not so great as the fencing in front tends to block the view quite a bit. The locals don´t tend to watch from behind the fencing. However, if you are a stranger in town and have no way of getting a balcony "seat", and maybe this is going to be your first and last chance to see the run, it could be worth your while to suffer the boredom of the wait. Make sure you go looking for a position at least by 6.30 in the morning and take some warm clothing for the wait in the chilly dawn. Any later than that, it´s going to be very difficult to get even a half-decent view of the run.

One possible place, and somewhat better, is to go down to the starting post. There is a small sloping square just near where the local Museum is and which is looking over the starting place in Santo Domingo. Here, there is no wooden fencing and you look down at the runners gathered round the nitch where they sing their simple paen to the small figure of San Fermin to implore his protection. The stretch which leads down to the pen from where the bulls will be released in just below and the view of the stretch leading up to the Town Hall is quite clear. It´s certainly one of the best spots and of course, for that reason is heavily populated. Get there about 5.30 or 6 o´clock at the latest, in order to get a good position.

How to run the Running of the bulls

If you´re still reading this then it means you are probably a potential runner, hooked on the excitment of the idea of doing a run
This totally chaotic event has its particular norms and rules of behaviour despite the fact that it seems something wild and out of control. There are certain facts to keep in mind before you go in at the deep end on your first run.

The daunting step of entering the Arena is not just a question of jumping over the fence at any old place along the route. You should look for an official "gate" either in the square at the Town Hall or in the square of the Mercado. The streets where the running takes place are cleared of people during the final hour before the start of the run. The local municipal police are responsible for this task and they won´t have much tolerance for anyone climbing over the fence any old way. Look for a proper entrance point. (A piece of useful information: be careful, by this time the local police is not in the mood for jokes).
Making the run on a drunken spree is totally out of order: It´s just plain stupid and a danger both to yourself as well as to others.

Running of the bulls
Maybe because it is shown in the most important channels of TV of different countries it has become one of the most attractive event for the thousand and thousand of people who come to enjoy the festivals.

It is not what it seems
Having watched it on the TV, some of them can have the idea that to run in front of the bulls is quite easy, but, of course, it is not; ask the runners who have been running for years. You have to be very careful and keep an eye all the time, if you don't want to be badly injured; to run in front of bulls of 500 and 600 kgs of weight it's not a joke. Be sure that you will never feel the same sensation, but think twice before you run. If it's your first time, be aware of some details.

Advice
First of all, be sure that you really want to take part in the running of the bulls, don't do it just for fun or to appear in the TV. You will be thinking all the time about how will you appear on the News, or if your friends can see you, more than in the run.

If you have been drinking all the night and you are totally drunk, quite normal, don't run; it will be dangerous not only for you, but also for the rest of the people. You will think that you have all under control, but you won't; it is not that easy. If you have any problem you won't be able to react in the best way, because your reflexes won't be the same. So take it easy.

Usually the runners choose the same section to run and after been running for a while, they try to get out of the route without disturbing other runners or the bulls (which is quite difficult). You have to watch out for the run, it lasts only about 2 minutes.

Possible injuries
Most of the people who are injured during the running of the bulls, are because of falls while they are running or the blows they received trying to be as near as possible from the horns of the bulls. To nudge or beat the other runners is quite normal during the run. Some people say that most of the times it is because of the "divinos" (the people who prepare the run during the year), but other people say it is for the big quantity of people and the inexperience of most of them. It is true that there is a lot of people running, so is easy to understand that there will be fights, specially in some parts of the route; in Mercaderes and Estafeta, for example.

Sometimes, unfortunately, people die, nearly always because they don't know what to do, they don't know which are the rules of the run (that is what happened to the young American Mathew Peter Tassio, who died the 13th of July in 1995 ).

It is very important to know these rules to avoid these tragic accidents, as well as the route where the bulls run. If you have time, it would be a good idea to have a look in the section about the running of the bulls of this guide. You will find there the route of the run and the most dangerous parts of it. Be aware, you can be in danger anywhere, even if there are parts of the route more dangerous than others; Santo Domingo slope, Plaza del Ayuntamiento (there is no place to take refuge), Telefonica street and the Callejón (the narrow corral leading down to the entrance to the bullring), where there is a risk with the pile-up (not very frequently, the last one was in 1977- one person died and 35 were injured-)

Conclusion
Anyway, if you have decided that you will take part in the run, you could have a look in our "how to do the run" section, where you will find the basic rules of the running of the bulls. If you don't have time to read them, keep in mind, at least, this one: if you fall down don't get up, don't move and cover your head with your arms.

It will be better for you to run during the week, at the weekend there is a big quantity of people and it's more difficult to find a good place to run, and it is more dangerous as well.
Good luck!!!

Hi LauraLee¡
Just saw your post, and I feel it is my duty to reply. DONT PANIC (and also read past my spelling mistakes, I am typing this from a computer in Triacastela, Spain, and its hard finding all the letters and symbols :)
I am typing this live from the Camino, and I understand what you are going through. I am like you, and started to panic about a month before I left. If it was socially accepted then, I would have stayed at home out of fear. But I have been walking for three weeks now, and in one week I will be in Santiago, and it has been the best experience of my entire life. After about 2 days, I let go of my anxiety and started to enjoy the trip. And now I dont want to go home :) I hope this helps a bit, coming from me, probably one of the most nervous and anxious people on the camino.
Have fun, you will have a wonderful time, I am sure¡¡
BUEN CAMINO¡

innedevos said:
Hi LauraLee¡
Just saw your post, and I feel it is my duty to reply. DONT PANIC (and also read past my spelling mistakes, I am typing this from a computer in Triacastela, Spain, and its hard finding all the letters and symbols :)
I am typing this live from the Camino, and I understand what you are going through. I am like you, and started to panic about a month before I left. If it was socially accepted then, I would have stayed at home out of fear. But I have been walking for three weeks now, and in one week I will be in Santiago, and it has been the best experience of my entire life. After about 2 days, I let go of my anxiety and started to enjoy the trip. And now I dont want to go home :) I hope this helps a bit, coming from me, probably one of the most nervous and anxious people on the camino.
BUEN CAMINO¡
One of the nicest posts I've seen for ages! Buen Camino both of you! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a panicked pre-pilgrim lurker following this post I also benefitted from innedevos "live from the camino" anxiety busting report and encouragement..and yes..Buen, blessed Camino to you both!..Surfing those waves of doubt, excitement, fear & hope for a few more months..ay yi yi its probably better to just make a decision and hop on the plane-then your mind is made up!!

Still have to buy that plane ticket! Plan is on for late Aug now...having commitment issues & cold feet...Laura Lee,thank you for the courage to post your fears and Innedevos for the courage & generosity to reach out from the way!! :wink: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Laura Lee I returned last Sunday from one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I walked the Camino Frances starting from Roncesvalles. If you check my previous postings you will see that I too was very apprehensive about my planned Camino. I arrived in Paris on the 24th of April, toured that city for a few days and then took the train down to Bayonne and bus to St. Jean and then a taxi over the mountain. From the moment I started my walk, I forgot all about home. It was the most freeing experience of my life. All one does is get up, grab your knapsack, banana and yogurt and water and then proceed to walk to the next bar for the wonderful cafe con leche. Chat with Pilgrims at the bar, get up, walk again for another couple of hours, stop for some more refreshment and so on and so on . All the while, looking at the beautiful scenary, meeting amazing,interesting people on the way and having a life experience that one will never forget. Remember, it is your Camino, so no need to rush, just experience life. Now that I have finished I cannot believe I had the doubts I did. Go for it Laura Lee, I guarantee you that you will not regret it. Julie

I started the Camino on April 20th. Before I left I posted about my own anxieties and worries.

My pack was way too heavy. My leggings weren't great for walking in the wet weather. 2 pairs of panties were not enough. I had terrible blisters on the Meseta. My knees and ankles were killing me the whole first week - I hadn't trained enough and was overweight. It rained every day for the first three weeks and I was sick and tired of my neon orange rain coat. BUT - I bought some walking sticks and ibuprophen cream and my knees made it through, the sun finally came out and I could take off the ugly coat. My son became expert at dealing with blisters and I spent a few nights in hotels where I could soak my feet in a tub. I started sending my pack ahead around Burgos and bought a day pack. I started getting into shape and losing weight. I bought some good hiking pants and another pair of panties. I relaxed and just let it come.

The thing is - it is all so much fun...so interesting, so beautiful, so different, so GREAT that it will all fall away as you start. You're going to have issues with this or that - no one just strolls along tra-la-laing for 5 weeks. But dealing with them and finding friends who will help and need your help and sympathies are all part of it. You'll be fine and you'll have an amazing time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
innedevos said:
Hi LauraLee¡
BUEN CAMINO¡

Thank you so much! I'm so glad I started this conversation. I leave in 4 days and in moments of nervousness(which is now rare as it has been replaced with excitement) I come on her and read all the kind words of wisdom.

Buen Camino!

Juliec55 said:
It was the most freeing experience of my life. All one does is get up, grab your knapsack, banana and yogurt and water and then proceed to walk to the next bar for the wonderful cafe con leche. Chat with Pilgrims at the bar, get up, walk again for another couple of hours, stop for some more refreshment and so on and so on . All the while, looking at the beautiful scenary, meeting amazing,interesting people on the way and having a life experience that one will never forget. Remember, it is your Camino, so no need to rush, just experience life. Now that I have finished I cannot believe I had the doubts I did. Go for it Laura Lee, I guarantee you that you will not regret it. Julie

Hi LauraLee,
Julie describes it perfectly. Hi, Julie! (She was one of the lovely pilgrims I met on the Camino.)

I flew into Paris and took the train to St Jean. Little apprehensive but kept that at bay with last minute details (finding a place to stay, getting my credential stamped, buying an Altus rain poncho, etc). But eventually I had to face what I was going to do. Holy moly!! What was I thinking? Can I possibly back out? Maybe hide out in Paris for the 6 weeks I told everybody I'd be away? But in the morning, I just started walking. One step at a time. Despite the rain, I felt great! Sure, some "bad" things happened -- aching feet, blisters, sore legs, someone taking my poles, the interminable heat -- but I had the best time of my life! I can hardly wait to go back and experience it all again.

Worry if you must but it will turn out fine. You'll see.
Helen

I'm starting my Camino on September 4th 2012. I'm getting the national express to London, staying with some good friends there for the night and then I should be arriving in Paris sometime in the afternoon of the 5th. From there, I'm walking to SJPDP and beginning the Camino Frances.
I did worry about it for a few weeks but I now feel almost ready.
Probably my pack will be too heavy and most likely I will be camping a lot to save money for food.
I realise this is going to be an epic, life changing journey but, thanks to this forum and the previous Pilgrims, I just can't bring myself to worry about it at all. I'm 40, and whilst not the oldest person to have ever walked it, I'm no spring chicken either. No doubt there will be trials along the way - I'm hoping so actually as it will be a test of mettle.
All I can say is relax and have faith in yourself and that everything will be ok.

Buen Camino!

Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino, Paul! I was approaching 41 on my first Camino last year and totally unfit. I'm still alive. Enjoy it. :D

I walked the Camino del Norte this Sept. 2012. My nervousness/concerns were on two frontsl. One the logistics of getting to Bilbao our starting point (through JFK & Paris) with all our stuff. And then my desire to walk the walk I had been preparing for both physically & mentally.
I 'd have to say getting there may have been the bigger challenge with security, strange airports, language changes, and basic travel concerns that wear you down.
Once I was in Bilbao nothing much bothered me. I was in a "go with the flow" mind set and knew I would make it to Santiago. And I did.
Think positive & go for your goal. You will be greatly rewarded & so happy you did.

I would be more concerned if you weren't nervous. I just returned two weeks ago. If you are starting in St. Jean, looking up at the Pyrenees is intimidating. Nervous excitement will provide you with the energy to move ahead. A couple of words of caution. Make sure you eat well. Load calories and include protein in your diet. Even if you're not hungry, make sure you eat regularly. Take food with you on the trail. Second, it's important that you get adequate sleep. If you are having trouble, take sleep aids. The key is to stay healthy. I did see a number of pilgrims get sick along the way so pay close attention to how you feel and respond accordingly. Buen Camino. You made the right decision.

Vasque

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from SJPP to Santiago last fall and did it again this fall. As I was waiting to board the plane at Dulles Airport at the start this year's trek, I had a sudden attack of the "what the heck are you doing -- are you CRAZY" questions and texted (in jest) for my daughters to come back and pick me up. Going through my head was that I'd done this before and had "proved" that I was capable of handling this journey. AND I'd done this before and was very aware of all the hard stuff. So, suddenly, I was overwhelmed with thoughts about the hard stuff and thinking that I'd also seen it all last year. Well, 500km later, I can tell you, that I had NOT seen it all last year and, yes, the hard stuff got even harder this year. At the same time, it's working with that hard stuff that made this year an amazing pilgrimage -- so much so that I'm planning to walk the Via Francigena (Vercelli to Rome) next fall for my 60th birthday.

Buen Camino!

Ann

aloarb53 said:
I walked from SJPP to Santiago last fall and did it again this fall. As I was waiting to board the plane at Dulles Airport at the start this year's trek, I had a sudden attack of the "what the heck are you doing -- are you CRAZY" questions and texted (in jest) for my daughters to come back and pick me up. Going through my head was that I'd done this before and had "proved" that I was capable of handling this journey. AND I'd done this before and was very aware of all the hard stuff. So, suddenly, I was overwhelmed with thoughts about the hard stuff and thinking that I'd also seen it all last year. Well, 500km later, I can tell you, that I had NOT seen it all last year and, yes, the hard stuff got even harder this year. At the same time, it's working with that hard stuff that made this year an amazing pilgrimage -- so much so that I'm planning to walk the Via Francigena (Vercelli to Rome) next fall for my 60th birthday.

Buen Camino!

Ann

I am so impressed and pleased for you! "You go girl"

Kelly

The morning I was to start walking the Camino Frances, I sat on my bed at St. Jean Pied de Port and started sobbing uncontrollably. I was so nervous and anxious. I was a solo female, about to turn 50, have never (ever!) walked more than 5 miles at a time in my entire life. Sitting on a strange bed, thousands of miles away from home, I let it all out. After a little while, I took a deep breath, grabbed my bag and away I went. The second I stood at the door and felt the early morning air all fears melted away. Within 15 minutes of walking the Camino I was chatting with a Mother-Daughter team from Denver and admiring the small vegetable gardens we were walking by. Later on, I shared fruits and energy bars with a nice young man from Belgium. I made it to Roncesvalles in 7-8 hours and it felt amazing. That day, which started with me crying, remains one of the best days of my life.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you;
they're supposed to help you discover who you are."
-Bernice Johnson Reagon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad to see that there is nervousness before the hike. I am 5 months out and worrying a bit, can I do this? am I nuts? but I really liked your end quote--it gives me a push!!

-Bernice Johnson Reagon

Its natural to be a bit nervous, I have been hiking since my teens and I always feel nervous before a long hike, did I forget something, will it go all right and so on, but once you take the first few steps from St Jean all that will dissappear and you won't give it a second thought. By the time you have reached your third day you will be like a seasoned traveller.
A little bit of nerves keep you sharp.
Enjoy your camino Joni. :arrow:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have them every nite and I am not leaving till late February .....they aren't truly anxiety / Panic attacks.....but I find my self falling asleep thinking of WHAT AM I DOING?????? I mean REALLY?....and you second guess everything....the time of year.....the route...can you make it?....but still deep in my heart I know I will have all the answers after I start my Camino in February ..... So I figure why worry ....I am going with the FULL SPEED AHEAD I felt when I first got he idea of doing the pilgramage .....what will be will be ....just live it.

thank you, thank you, thank you. I am just under 3 months off going, and once I pressed "purchase" on the final leg of my airflights, I have been inundated with doubts. I have no money. I have my 10 year old daughter with me. I'm sick (Lupus). Was this all my idea, or did God actually have anything to do with it? I know I'll be alright. I know I'll be alright. I know I'll be alright.
It was wonderful to know I'm not the only one having anxiety attacks. this too shall pass.
Would I renig? Not after 3 years planning. No way. God is good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
reg2450 said:
I know I'll be alright. I know I'll be alright. I know I'll be alright.
You'll be more than alright. It's an enjoyment not an endurance for most of us! Think of the food, the friendships, the countryside, the sharing, the adversity.... :D

Buen Camino. You'll be alright.

p.s. Speak to St James before you start. I think he's quite an active saint and will lead you to where you should be.

Hi Laura-Lee,

I am curious on how it all went?

I am planning my first Camino at the end of May and I am excited and nervous and everything in between. I only heard about the Camino last Spring and somehow have decided that this is what I need to do. Not for religious reasons but for the biggest challenge so far in my life. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I have been telling all of friends and even strangers of my plans so that I can't and won't chicken out. I have a backpack, a new sleeping bag and some cloths but have already run out of room. :? I have been reading the forum advice and comments since I stumbled upon it in December. My biggest fear is that I am travelling alone. Well, starting out alone. I have high hopes and expectations of meeting great people along the way.

Well back to more training. I'll just do my best to prepare and the rest will just have to fall into place!

Thanks for reading my rambling...I am sure there will be more to come. :shock: :roll:

DragonLily said:
My biggest fear is that I am travelling alone. Well, starting out alone. I have high hopes and expectations of meeting great people along the way.

He, he. You will probably walk alone only until lunch the 1st day. If you want company, you will get it. If you want solitude, you can have it. What will most likely happen is that you see the same faces, more or less, each day (same walking frequency). You will team up with some of them, have lunch, cook dinner together in the albergues, sharing red wine, reflecting/talking together, etc.

Sometimes, you may do shorter or longer distances, in order to get rid of some old friends and find some new ones coming up from behind. You will not travel alone unless you want to.

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Dragonlily!
Don't worry - we all get these panic attacks first time!
As Alex says, you won't be alone after lunch the first day! This is assuming you're walking the French Camino. Some of the other caminos have few pilgrims. I'm walking the southern part of the Portuguese in May/June and expect to be alone most of the time. That doesn't worry me.
So ... your 'panic' attack is normal, but all will be well. And you'll probably come home afterwards wondering why you were so concerned [and planning your next camino!]
God bless and "Buen Camino".

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hey DragonLilly
Its natural to be nervous about beginning your first Camino.. Before i began mine i had never heard about this forum and although i had read a few books etc i really didnt know a great deal about the day to day nitty gritty stuff..Now looking back i am glad of that.. Much of what i experienced on the Camino came as a total and utter surprise for me... This happened daily, even hourly! I love that part of it...the mystery, the magic, the wonder of it all... The Camino will take care of you, thats for sure, you dont walk it, The Camino walks you...You will not be alone and yet you will have an experience totally unique to you..Have no doubt about that.
i wish you a wondeful and magical Camino! Rob.

Laura Lee has not been to the Forum since October 2012, so she may not reply.

You are not alone.l I am leaving on MArch 9th and walking from Le puy to El Northe on to Sanitago. I hope. But many Am I shaking in my shoes........ I have an added issue that i am in Mainland CHina and can not run to your nearest REI. SO as my riends have told me. deep breath ..... Good air in. Bad air out. Have fun. Enjoy and I will be with you in Spirt.

Hi DragonLily,
Assuming nervousness loves company, just as much as misery loves it, I am here to tell you that you are not alone. In fact, if it helps, I too plan on starting in SJPP the end of May, and have nothing in line at the moment! So at least you are a backpack, sleeping bag, and some clothes ahead of a fellow “peregrino to be”! I too have found this forum to be very valuable, and I appreciate the time and energy that many of the veterans have taken to aid in this. Perhaps we will meet on the path!

I am little nervous too even though I will start my 3rd Camino in two weeks. Am I fit enough? Will it rain a lot? Will my equipment be OK? Last time I walked (Sep-Oct 2011), I did not have a single day of rain. Nervous but very excited.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DragonLily said:
Hi Laura-Lee,

I am planning my first Camino at the end of May and I am excited and nervous and everything in between. I only heard about the Camino last Spring and somehow have decided that this is what I need to do. Not for religious reasons but for the biggest challenge so far in my life. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I have been telling all of friends and even strangers of my plans so that I can't and won't chicken out. I have a backpack, a new sleeping bag and some cloths but have already run out of room. :? I have been reading the forum advice and comments since I stumbled upon it in December. My biggest fear is that I am travelling alone. Well, starting out alone. I have high hopes and expectations of meeting great people along the way.

Well back to more training. I'll just do my best to prepare and the rest will just have to fall into place!

Thanks for reading my rambling...I am sure there will be more to come. :shock: :roll:

Hi, this is a follow up to my earlier post. I apologize for not responding earlier. :oops: I had my email address wrong so I was not notified of updates to this thread. Thanks ever so much for your encouragements: AlexWalker, Stephen Nicholls, robhay60 and krp10.

My trip is set. Ticket purchased. Will be starting in SJPdP on May 23! Hope to meet the wonderful supporters from this Forum. :D

Oh I have one of these almost every day and I'm five months away from the first step! But, I think this is part of it and one of the reasons I am doing this - to get out of my comfort zone. But some days it is just so hard!

Hi docbb!

You're walking at a lovely time of year, still with plenty of friends to make and enjoy, albergues open, wonderful food and drink....I could go on! If the worst came to the worst and you suffered an injury etc Spain has plenty of other things to enjoy. You'll have a great time. :D Buen Camino!

p.s. I don't know exactly where and when you're walking, but watch the seasons change from summer to autumn as you walk. The crops in the field, the birds, things falling off trees onto your head. All good.

I am glad to have read this post as will be leaving in less than 48 hours. Just one(hopefully) last mad day at work to get through. Over the last couple of days I have been thinking about how I have never been away from my family with no commitments. I have had a wee fantasy that when I get to Madrid airport, i could just get my credit card out and book a flight to somewhere else entirely so long as I am back in time for my return flight , who would know?
In short I can do or not do as I like, so i am choosing to walk the camino ,it is possible that i might choose to stop before the end but I have a choice and that feels great. :p :p

I'm not having any camino panic attacks. Rather, when thinking of my trip, I'm having camino happy attacks.
Maybe something's wrong with me? :D

Laughing. Or maybe it's called happiness attacks? :mrgreen:

amykate62 said:
I have had a wee fantasy that when I get to Madrid airport, i could just get my credit card out and book a flight to somewhere else entirely so long as I am back in time for my return flight , who would know? :p :p
Ha ha! Once you're into your stride there will be no stopping you! Buen Camino! :D

hi Laura-lee
i leave for SJPD in 22 days! and i spent last night weighing EVERY THING that's going in my pack and swapping it for lighter versions. I think I've given myself O.C.D. ;)

Having read every book I could find on the Camino instead of writing my dissertation, I have just booked flights, for May/June. Had a moment of panic when doing so, but remembered reading something by Ted Simon who wrote "Jupiters Travels" about a four year motor cycle trip around the globe, something along the lines of "the hardest part of the whole trip was actually making the decision to do it, once I was actually underway everything everything became easy".

LOL!! Laura-lee!! I had to check to make sure I hadn't written your post. My husband and I thought we were immune to the "nerves". But no, sixteen days from departure I can say we've joined the Panic Attack group. Everyone asks if we're excited about leaving and our first reactions is YES!! Then there is a sudden jolt and we feel sick. :eek: I keep trying to "cross bridges before I get to them" to dispel the nerves, but it just can't be done. Part of my Camino is learning how to let go and let God take care of me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
***LAURA LEE WILL BE SOMEWHERE AROUND BURGOS BY NOW :arrow:
I hope she writes and tells about her previous nervous bugs and when she felt comfortable.

Max from MO,
Susan from Sweden is spot on mate, relax, be happy that you have taken the big step [ ignore and don't worry about others and any comments ] as when the blisters start arriving just or after Pamplona ...... SMILE :wink:
If you take care of the little things Max, God will take care :D
Take your time regardless of the company and the urge to run,you will miss SO much if you hurry, h20 often,wine and tapas often but not as much , take in the surrounds , the people , the cities and enjoy.
If you don't you will be like us mugs that go back every year to recapture these wonderful routes to Santiago.
Have a great walk,
Buen Camino,Buen Courage
David

I see no one has posted to this for awhile--I will start my Camino in SJPdP Oct 8 and I am getting a bit nervous. I have been training since January and am still a bit overweight--I am 61 and will turn 62 while on the Camino. I have some back problems, I snore, only speak a few sentences of French and less of Spanish--I tend to be an introvert--I feel like I am definitely pushing the envelope of my comfort zone. I wanted to do a pilgrimage many years ago after reading a book titled The Ramsey Scallop and so I am. I have my plane and rail ticket--my passport is on its way...I guess I am worried that I won't make it and I will only have one chance to do the Camino and want to finish and only have about 35 days to walk. I am not having a panic attack per se--but wondering if I might starve to death because I don't know who to order food in Spanish--at any rate I will soon be on my way.

James,

Relax; what will be will be. We all begin with a mixture of excitement and trepidation wondering how the Camino might be. As most pilgrims do you too will discover this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. With time walking while hearing only the distinctive crunch of your boots will become a solitary pleasure.

Remember this is your camino! Your path is made by your feet; there is no single way. We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

Take a deep breath and enjoy !

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

(PS For the commonality of language problems/menu translations see this earlier Forum thread >> el-camino-frances/topic19368.html )

Hi Laura-Lee! I leave on August 14th and have had my fair share of pre-departure jitters and panic attacks. I am facing my fear head-on, determined that I will no longer allow my depression and anxiety govern my life!! Most of my friends and family have been wonderfully supportive, even my psychiatrist: :D :D I do have a few questions that I would appreciate advice on. First, if you checked your backpack, what condition was it in on arrival? I have a direct flight from Montreal to Paris so am not too concerned that my pack will be lost. Maybe I'm being a bit over-confident on that one! Next, I'll be carrying a three month supply of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication. Would it be imprudent to leave these in my backpack at hostels when I go out for supper?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I can hardly wait to set out and live my Camino experience!!
Buen Camino!
Sueque

your backpack, what condition was it in on arrival
Baggage handlers and equipment can play havoc with your backpack. Put it in a plastic garbage bag or other sack, or shrink-wrap it on one of the airport machines. Any loose straps or buckles can hang up on the automated equipment.

Buen camino!

The morning I was to start walking the Camino Frances, I sat on my bed at St. Jean Pied de Port and started sobbing uncontrollably. I was so nervous and anxious. I was a solo female, about to turn 50, have never (ever!) walked more than 5 miles at a time in my entire life. Sitting on a strange bed, thousands of miles away from home, I let it all out. After a little while, I took a deep breath, grabbed my bag and away I went. The second I stood at the door and felt the early morning air all fears melted away. Within 15 minutes of walking the Camino I was chatting with a Mother-Daughter team from Denver and admiring the small vegetable gardens we were walking by. Later on, I shared fruits and energy bars with a nice young man from Belgium. I made it to Roncesvalles in 7-8 hours and it felt amazing. That day, which started with me crying, remains one of the best days of my life.

-Bernice Johnson Reagon
Olivares, your post made me feel a little more "calm" today - I set off for my first Camino on 12 May... 16 days to go - I'm 51 and doing this solo, I live in South Africa, it's been a serious challenge getting equipment together (limited shoe & backpack brands and don't get me started on shoes: the only ones I can get my very broad, collapsed arch feet into are new balance entry level 2E's, over the last 7 months have tested Merrells, Keens, Solomons and 3 other New Balances); physically I haven't trained enough (working 16-17hr days) my knees aren't in the best of shape - my friends and family think I am totally insane and that I should just cancel. Yesterday after re-weighing, re-packing, re-weighing and re-packing, my backpack (Osprey Sirrus 36lt) and all contents weighs 4,7kg (10% of my body weight would be 7,4kg) - I put my NB shoes and pack on and took myself for a 3km walk ... the pack felt like 15kgs...and ended up sobbing uncontrollably, asking myself what the heck I was going to do if I couldn't even make it that far out of my front door; I travel extensively on my own, so no jitters about doing the Camino on my own, it's my physical fitness, backpack and shoes that are causing my panic - being a planner and always being in control, it's becoming very clear that I need to 'let go' , work with what I've got and just get on with it...C

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Olivares, your post made me feel a little more "calm" today - I set off for my first Camino on 12 May... 16 days to go - I'm 51 and doing this solo, I live in South Africa, it's been a serious challenge getting equipment together (limited shoe & backpack brands and don't get me started on shoes: the only ones I can get my very broad, collapsed arch feet into are new balance entry level 2E's, over the last 7 months have tested Merrells, Keens, Solomons and 3 other New Balances); physically I haven't trained enough (working 16-17hr days) my knees aren't in the best of shape - my friends and family think I am totally insane and that I should just cancel. Yesterday after re-weighing, re-packing, re-weighing and re-packing, my backpack (Osprey Sirrus 36lt) and all contents weighs 4,7kg (10% of my body weight would be 7,4kg) - I put my NB shoes and pack on and took myself for a 3km walk ... the pack felt like 15kgs...and ended up sobbing uncontrollably, asking myself what the heck I was going to do if I couldn't even make it that far out of my front door; I travel extensively on my own, so no jitters about doing the Camino on my own, it's my physical fitness, backpack and shoes that are causing my panic - being a planner and always being in control, it's becoming very clear that I need to 'let go' , work with what I've got and just get on with it...C
ps... on the upside, I've taken 3 months off work to doddle my way through a very slow Camino

Everyone starts the Camino with "plan A", few follow it though. There comes a point where you let go and stop planning, just get on with it. This is life changing for many of us, we are never quite the same again and are definitely much more relaxed. 4.7 kilos is amazing! Especially (and I am not being sexist here) as women have concerns men don't have. Does that include water or food? Is that with you carrying fleece/waterproofs or wearing them?

-Bernice Johnson Reagon
On reading this the tears welled up in my eyes, my heart pumped so fast and I identified with you. But hey you stepped outside your comfort zone, you stepped outside of yourself and you really had faith in yourself and you put one foot in front of the other and then you were on your way following the footsteps of the many, many, many pilgrims who have gone before you. AND you met wonderful people so quickly. God bless you, travel well you are an inspiration for others who will read about you on this forum.
Buen camino my fellow pilgrim.

€60,-
ps... on the upside, I've taken 3 months off work to doddle my way through a very slow Camino

Carla, one step at a time. On my first Camino 14 years ago I was in bad physical shape - very overweight, terrible knees, bad feet. On the third night (I'd made it to Zubriri) I stiffened up eating at the local restaurant and could not get out of the chair after diner. Simply could not stand. I literally fell sideways and fell on the floor (no smart comments from the peanut gallery who know me - I'd only had one glass). A few people hauled me to my feet. The patron very, very kindly offered to drive me to the albergue at the other end of the village. He left his customers in charge to do so. That car ride was my first Camino miracle.
Now I know that I could have stopped between Roncesvalles and Zubriri - I was following a guide book - and so can you. You have plenty of time. You may only manage ten kilometres a day and there us nothing wrong with that - it is far more than most people do in "normal" life. And you will get fitter as you walk, so that by the time you reach the meseta where accommodation is further apart, you will be fine. Enjoy!
I still have terrible knees and bad feet but nowadays I have a much better base fitness level. And I love walking.

Hi Laura-Lee,

I'm leaving late May as a solo walker as well. Maybe we'll see each other! I leave from SJPP on May 31.

Carla,

Hiking 20 k up the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass via the Valcarlos route the first time in 2004 at 65 to the monastery at Roncevalles was one of the most difficult days on the Camino and certainly the most physically exhausting day of my adult life then to date. I was pooped! Although I had hiked throughout the summer in preparation for the trip, nothing had prepared me for such an effort. Beneath a deep blue sky and brilliant sun I gasped and ached while my pack weighed like bricks. But eventually I made it to Santiago walking all the way. You can too!

On that first Camino I learned the hard way that this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus for all the my other Caminos I started walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

What matters most is to DO IT!

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Anxiety and panic affect many of us a great deal. Learning to get around and bypass issues can mitigate situations as can rehearsing mentally for what may occur. Sometimes it can be best if it all actually does happen - one can be left saying so was it so awful after all? was it worth the dread and worry?
Anticipatory dread can be all consuming.
On a personal level, years of depression, anxiety and O.C.D. have lead to withdrawl and avoidance on my part - hence my admiraton for those who manage to get on with it, just do it, take up the reins and charge instead of just jousting at windmills in the mind. It has taken me a decade to inch forward and back towards stretching the edges of comfort zones so as to enale me to coexist with anxiety and panic.
So, I wish you every kind thought and care on your Camino and that iy will be the fantastic opportunity, catalyst and conduit for change you wish to be for your ongoing wellbeing.

I absolutely love how you described it as jousting at the windmills in the mind. What a beautiful and eloquent way to describe the element of worrying. This is what I am hoping to accomplish on my camino. To simply go and be, instead of jousting with my mind. A sense of peace is all I pray for.

I am flying to Paris April 30th and I wanted to say you all give me so much peace. I have been so nervous but I know that every little thing is going to be alright :) I know that walking alone is scary I am actually looking forward to it. What frightens me is my body and how much it can take. Time will tell!

I am flying to Paris April 30th and I wanted to say you all give me so much peace. I have been so nervous but I know that every little thing is going to be alright :) I know that walking alone is scary I am actually looking forward to it. What frightens me is my body and how much it can take. Time will tell!
Aileen, your body will adjust if you take it at your own pace and your body will tell you how much it can take. I was so scared the first time as I had never been alone in my life and as an oldie I wondered could I do it. Well I did I just told myself to put one foot in front of the other. I met many pilgrims older than me and I took heart from them. I admire Margaret who seems to walk every year and in the very cold time of the year. I would suggest you read her blogs. They are indeed inspirational.
Buen camino and be not afraid for you never walk alone. Check out your shadow and have a talk to it! Cheers and blessings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone starts the Camino with "plan A", few follow it though. There comes a point where you let go and stop planning, just get on with it. This is life changing for many of us, we are never quite the same again and are definitely much more relaxed. 4.7 kilos is amazing! Especially (and I am not being sexist here) as women have concerns men don't have. Does that include water or food? Is that with you carrying fleece/waterproofs or wearing them?
... the 4.7kg includes fleece, base layers but excludes food / water and wearing the waterproof ... have bought another backpack which seems to be working better than the first one...as for the shoes, if I have to do this in flip flops, then that's what I'll do :) after a emotional weekend, I've decided to follow your advise to let you, stop planning and just get on with it ...thanks :)

Carla, one step at a time. On my first Camino 14 years ago I was in bad physical shape - very overweight, terrible knees, bad feet. On the third night (I'd made it to Zubriri) I stiffened up eating at the local restaurant and could not get out of the chair after diner. Simply could not stand. I literally fell sideways and fell on the floor (no smart comments from the peanut gallery who know me - I'd only had one glass). A few people hauled me to my feet. The patron very, very kindly offered to drive me to the albergue at the other end of the village. He left his customers in charge to do so. That car ride was my first Camino miracle.
Now I know that I could have stopped between Roncesvalles and Zubriri - I was following a guide book - and so can you. You have plenty of time. You may only manage ten kilometres a day and there us nothing wrong with that - it is far more than most people do in "normal" life. And you will get fitter as you walk, so that by the time you reach the meseta where accommodation is further apart, you will be fine. Enjoy!
I still have terrible knees and bad feet but nowadays I have a much better base fitness level. And I love walking.
Hi Kanga...am definitely doing this the slow way ie less km's a day than the guidebooks and as I have time if I do 10 a day it's seriously okay by me :)

Carla,

Hiking 20 k up the 1060 meter Ibaneta pass via the Valcarlos route the first time in 2004 at 65 to the monastery at Roncevalles was one of the most difficult days on the Camino and certainly the most physically exhausting day of my adult life then to date. I was pooped! Although I had hiked throughout the summer in preparation for the trip, nothing had prepared me for such an effort. Beneath a deep blue sky and brilliant sun I gasped and ached while my pack weighed like bricks. But eventually I made it to Santiago walking all the way. You can too!

On that first Camino I learned the hard way that this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus for all the my other Caminos I started walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

What matters most is to DO IT!

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret - thanks so much for your valued input - I had always planned to do my camino the slow way as I have the luxury of time and your post has just confirmed that this is the way to go :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It
Hi Laura-Lee,

it was phenomenal *sigh*

Hi LauraLee¡
BUEN CAMINO¡

Hi all,
Post heartening, PANIC is what has just happened to us.Leaving in 6 days and our transport from Bilboa to Fromista has fallen through, my heart wants to go my head is saying not possible Help!!!!!

It wasn't really a panic attack, but today I am 13 days away from getting on a plane and touching down in Paris to begin the biggest adventure of my life.
I'm a worrier by nature, but every couple of years I say "Screw it. Life is too short," and I do something that scares me.
Trips I take don't usually sink in until a week or a few days before I leave. When I first decided to walk the Camino my mind kept me awake at night going through all the things that could possibly go wrong between Paris and Madrid(where I'll be flying home from). Now, I am oscillating between excitement and asking myself "What the h-ll are you doing?"

Laura-Lee
I am not leaving till first of July but already pouring over the forums, hiking every day and generally stressing about everything. I think this is pretty natural; and while I'm a bit OCD, my three companions, my sons, are like meh, what ever. What you said is true, life is short, and this trip for me it to release some stress, not add to it, I have to learn to let go.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back