Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

First Camino - Sleeping bag/liner/mat for July (in case no b

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi All,
I have been reading lots of advice about whether or not to bring a light sleeping bag and/or mat.
Given that it is warm in July, I would say that a liner is sufficient but...it is Holy Year and it is going to be VERY BUSY so would it not be wise to take a liner and mat in case I need to sleep on the floor?

Just thinking that I should be prepared for the worst...but would like to limit bagage.

Cheers,
LTfit

Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Year of past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Almost always, if you have to sleep on the floor, a mat will be provided.
You can pick up a cheap blue foam mat in Spain for FREE in most of the Free Boxes in refugios, because it's one of the first items people dump when they are lightening their loads!

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi Annie,
Do you mean then that taking a sleeping bag and mat is unnecessary when traveling in July?
Would a bed liner be sufficient?
Tks for advice.
Cheers,
LTfit

BPS

I see a lot of posts advising leaving mats and sleeping bags at home during the late may-aug period - i am wondering if this advice holds for all routes or only the frances where there seem to be accommodations every 10km or so?

I'm planning to do the VdlP and given the distance between places to sleep i suspect that there may be no option but curling up with my bag and mat in some quiet spot from time to ttime.

Unique engravings about the Camino de Santiago from Gabriel and other art objects.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
There are places on the VDLP you can sleep outdoors and depending on the time of year you're going, a lightweight sleeping bag will be a good thing. Many of the alburgues along the way were only a bed with a bottom sheet, at least the first 8 etapas.

I also think I"d take a sleeping bag on the Norte.. the coast can be cool.

I think the advice about only a liner seems to be for the Frances?

Chev.Jerry

September 2006
August - September 2017
LT,

I went in September on the "French" route, and took a fleece sleeping bag liner and a silk sleep sheet. I never stayed outdoors, but this was plenty. Remeber each albuge will have a bed, usually blankets and other people to keep you warm.

Buen Camino
Jerry

Nandy61

2010 CF StJPP to Santiago
2014 CF Leon to Santiago
2015 Primitivo
Anniesantiago said:
I think all you need is a liner.
I'd leave the mat home also.

Oh dear, now I'm all confused! (Not really :wink: ) But I have read some conflicting info. I was under the impression that I might need a sleeping bag, esp during the crowded Holy Year. My daughter and I will be starting June 14th from SJPP, hopefully finishing by the 17th of July. I didn't think I'd need one in the latter half of the walk, but I thought I may the first week or two. Any thoughts?
Tanks a lot!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings