• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Sleeping bag/liner/mat for July (in case no b

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi All,
I have been reading lots of advice about whether or not to bring a light sleeping bag and/or mat.
Given that it is warm in July, I would say that a liner is sufficient but...it is Holy Year and it is going to be VERY BUSY so would it not be wise to take a liner and mat in case I need to sleep on the floor?

Just thinking that I should be prepared for the worst...but would like to limit bagage.

Cheers,
LTfit

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Almost always, if you have to sleep on the floor, a mat will be provided.
You can pick up a cheap blue foam mat in Spain for FREE in most of the Free Boxes in refugios, because it's one of the first items people dump when they are lightening their loads!

Hi Annie,
Do you mean then that taking a sleeping bag and mat is unnecessary when traveling in July?
Would a bed liner be sufficient?
Tks for advice.
Cheers,
LTfit

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see a lot of posts advising leaving mats and sleeping bags at home during the late may-aug period - i am wondering if this advice holds for all routes or only the frances where there seem to be accommodations every 10km or so?

I'm planning to do the VdlP and given the distance between places to sleep i suspect that there may be no option but curling up with my bag and mat in some quiet spot from time to ttime.

There are places on the VDLP you can sleep outdoors and depending on the time of year you're going, a lightweight sleeping bag will be a good thing. Many of the alburgues along the way were only a bed with a bottom sheet, at least the first 8 etapas.

I also think I"d take a sleeping bag on the Norte.. the coast can be cool.

I think the advice about only a liner seems to be for the Frances?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
LT,

I went in September on the "French" route, and took a fleece sleeping bag liner and a silk sleep sheet. I never stayed outdoors, but this was plenty. Remeber each albuge will have a bed, usually blankets and other people to keep you warm.

Buen Camino
Jerry

Anniesantiago said:
I think all you need is a liner.
I'd leave the mat home also.

Oh dear, now I'm all confused! (Not really :wink: ) But I have read some conflicting info. I was under the impression that I might need a sleeping bag, esp during the crowded Holy Year. My daughter and I will be starting June 14th from SJPP, hopefully finishing by the 17th of July. I didn't think I'd need one in the latter half of the walk, but I thought I may the first week or two. Any thoughts?
Tanks a lot!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.