• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First camino starting in two days!

Amy33

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Another classic pre-camino jitters post. I start my camino from Leon on Monday, the 25th and boy am I nervous! Have it trained enough? Are my boots too tight? Am I being naive thiking I can do this alone? Also a little nervous to walk to Astorga section, as news of past incidences involving solo female hikers have surfaced - should I be worried?

Hopefully the magic of the camino will qualm my fears, but any advice/encouragement for a movie would be so appreciated :)

Amy (24, from Calidornia)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a female and walked from May 3-June 6 this year with my 20 and 21 year old daughters. The Camino is safe but only as safe as anywhere. You still have to make wise decisions and watch your surroundings. As a female, responsible for 2 other young females I have to be honest and tell you that on leaving one town I did feel uncomfortable because there were 2 paths to choose from and we took the "contemplative path" when most of the other pilgrims took the "traditional path". So, we were the only 3 on this path for about 5 miles and it spooked me a bit. Then, it joined back around the the traditional path and all was good because we rejoined all the other pilgrims. I would stay on the traditional paths and near other pilgrims. The pilgrims look out for one another. My daughters walked at a much faster pace than me and I was alone a number of times...but, I almost always saw a pilgrim up the road or behind me a bit. Here's some more advice: Take your time...take pictures, talk to people, enjoy yourself. And, on the Camino, you are never really alone...if you don't see a fellow pilgrim, it's because they are right around the corner. It's going to be great! Buen Camino.

No worries, @Amy33 - You can do it! As for alone, well, not too likely in July but if you're lucky you will find a few quiet moments. Join other Pilgrims until you are confident, there will be many who have similar thoughts. That may be the basis of your first Camino Family! Buen Camino, Jordon.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Amy33 you have a classic case of pre-camino jitters! All will be well as soon as you start walking. You will find plenty of people to keep you company on the road. You refer to matters that occurred after Astorga, between Murias de Rechivaldo and Santa Catalina de Somoza, but the person is now safely in gaol. In any event by Astorga you will probably have a little "Camino family" and people to walk with. It is actually a lovely part of the walk with very pretty villages not far apart.

Enjoy the challenges! The Camino unfolds one step at a time, so there is plenty of time to conquer them. Worry won't help. :) If particular issues are bothering you, break them down into small components and ponder what you will do. It is easy to find solutions to small problems. Didn't train enough? Start slowly and use the Camino for the training. Behind schedule? Take a bus or taxi. Blisters? Stop and treat hotspots and they won't become blisters. Too late to treat a hotspot? Treat the blister. Snoring keeping you awake? Wear earplugs or get a private room. Having belabored the point, have fun and Buen Camino. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Amy!

I've just finished day 18 out of St Jean Pied de Port and walk into Leon tomorrow (Monday 25th). I've got a rest day scheduled there so our paths may not cross, but I can sure vouch for the many pilgrims I've been walking with so far. They really have been an extra special bunch of people - you'll love spending time with them.

Go well.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Lots of good advice there. All I can add is enjoy the journey and Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Another classic pre-camino jitters post. I start my camino from Leon on Monday, the 25th and boy am I nervous! Have it trained enough? Are my boots too tight? Am I being naive thiking I can do this alone? Also a little nervous to walk to Astorga section, as news of past incidences involving solo female hikers have surfaced - should I be worried?

Hopefully the magic of the camino will qualm my fears, but any advice/encouragement for a movie would be so appreciated :)

Thanks for your post Amy you summed up my own feelings too, and I'm 40 years older than you. I met an elderly man well into his 80's yesterday on a walking trail who said "there is no better motivation than something you really want to do". I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Walked it alone last year. Never walked that far before and was equally worried. Don't worry and most importantly, listen to what your feet and body are telling you. If tired stop. If hungry eat. If lonely, just talk to the first pilgrim you meet. If you think it's tough, just reflect on some pilgrim 400 years ago or so who didn't have your shoes, money, or health but walked the trail anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Amy It's probably normal but I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm not doing it for a month but I've met a lot of people who have. Not only do they say great things about it. Most can't wait to back. You won't really be alone. Sometimes when I walk in cities at night I walk close behind a group of people so I don't stand out. You can always try that. Buen Camino!

I am a female and walked from May 3-June 6 this year with my 20 and 21 year old daughters. The Camino is safe but only as safe as anywhere. You still have to make wise decisions and watch your surroundings. As a female, responsible for 2 other young females I have to be honest and tell you that on leaving one town I did feel uncomfortable because there were 2 paths to choose from and we took the "contemplative path" when most of the other pilgrims took the "traditional path". So, we were the only 3 on this path for about 5 miles and it spooked me a bit. Then, it joined back around the the traditional path and all was good because we rejoined all the other pilgrims. I would stay on the traditional paths and near other pilgrims. The pilgrims look out for one another. My daughters walked at a much faster pace than me and I was alone a number of times...but, I almost always saw a pilgrim up the road or behind me a bit. Here's some more advice: Take your time...take pictures, talk to people, enjoy yourself. And, on the Camino, you are never really alone...if you don't see a fellow pilgrim, it's because they are right around the corner. It's going to be great! Buen Camino.
Hi there. I am an older single female walking the Arles route at the moment and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences all along the way. I've never once felt uncomfortable, and I haven't met another pilgrim since I left. I've been walking on my own for a week now so I suppose it will continue his way until I leave France, unless there are pilgrims starting in Montpiellier. People are very kind and I've been so impressed with the lengths they go to to speak to me...I speak NO French at all. So be aware but don't be paranoid. It will all work itself out along the way. Good on you for giving it a go

Comforting words, thank you. Bravo to you, so admirable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoy the challenges! The Camino unfolds one step at a time, so there is plenty of time to conquer them. Worry won't help. :) If particular issues are bothering you, break them down into small components and ponder what you will do. It is easy to find solutions to small problems. Didn't train enough? Start slowly and use the Camino for the training. Behind schedule? Take a bus or taxi. Blisters? Stop and treat hotspots and they won't become blisters. Too late to treat a hotspot? Treat the blister. Snoring keeping you awake? Wear earplugs or get a private room. Having belabored the point, have fun and Buen Camino. ;)

I love this! You're so right and this helped me along the way. I will take this advice into my normal life as well, thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.

I just finished my camino 2 days ago and of course you are all right - it was amazing. I miss it dearly already and can't wait to come back and do the full Camino. Thanks to all who encouraged me and shared your words of wisdom. <3

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back