• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino, throw some advice my way

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think in a way it's good to be underprepared. You've got a whole month to get the hang of this camino thing. I loved the feeling of getting fitter each day I walked, at least that's my excuse for not training ;) . I feel I'd have lost something of the experience if it was easy from the start.

Spain has shops (though not so many big ones until you hit Pamplona), so any kit you decide you need is only three days away.

Get your boots, socks and pack worked out, everything else can be fixed along the way. Just one practical note- cash is king on the camino so make sure you always have some, it's easy to go three or four days without seeing an ATM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think in a way it's good to be underprepared. You've got a whole month to get the hang of this camino thing. I loved the feeling of getting fitter each day I walked, at least that's my excuse for not training ;) . I feel I'd have lost something of the experience if it was easy from the start.

Spain has shops (though not so many big ones until you hit Pamplona), so any kit you decide you need is only three days away.

Get your boots, socks and pack worked out, everything else can be fixed along the way. Just one practical note- cash is king on the camino so make sure you always have some, it's easy to go three or four days without seeing an ATM.
Dorpie, that's great advice for the person,

I feel rather unprepared
Then get prepared!!!

Do some extensive training with your footwear and pack. There should be no surprises on the Camino except the people, the scenery, and the food. It is the wrong place to first discover a tight spot in your boots, a backpack that does not fit, or rain gear that does not protect you. Unless you have watched the passengers boarding the morning train out of SJPdP to Bayonne, you do not understand the number who are defeated by the first day! They all were unprepared for the difficulty of your undertaking. Be one of the successful ones by being prepared.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm starting the Camino Frances on April 4th (2018) and I feel rather unprepared. If any of you have some tips, warnings, words of wisdom- about literally anything- please share!
Relax! it is not a race, listen to your body, if you are tired - stop and rest!! enjoy the walk, don't get so focused that you miss all the things which make the Camino so special, namely the people! Buen Camino

I'm starting the Camino Frances on April 4th (2018) and I feel rather unprepared. If any of you have some tips, warnings, words of wisdom- about literally anything- please share!
My comment isn’t advice but I am starting 2 April from SJPP. The forums have been heartwarming, reassuring and practical. I continue to read all the advice. For us ‘newbies’ we’ll learn a lot quickly and we too will become the new Pilgrims. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Lots of good information on this site for starters on all aspects of walking a Camino.

When my wife and I walked our first one in 2014, it was the first time we had ever back packed. There was a learning curve over the first few days, but we quickly got into our own 'Camino Grove.'

Really, it is not rocket science. Get a guide book, I know you can download things and maps, but I still prefer an actual printed guide book like John Brierley's.

If you have not purchased your gear yet, make sure you see a decent outfitter to get properly fitted for a pack. Fit of the pack is the most important thing. Personally I love trekking poles and would not consider walking without them, but as you will find opinions on poles varies greatly.

Footwear is probably the most important thing to get right. Well broken in boots or trail shoes are essential. I prefer trail shoes myself as after two different brands of boots in Year 1 and 2 and blister issues with both, halfway through year 2, I bought a pair of trail shoes and have never gone back to boots.

Next to boots, sock choice is the second most important thing. I have had great success with the 'Wrightsock' brand. They have lined socks which have worked well my wife and I.

Early April is a great time to start as it has been the time of year my wife and I have walked all four times so far.

Keep in mind if you are starting your walk from St. Jean in France, the Napoleon route probably will not be open as it is officially closed to April 1st each year and is weather dependent after that. We started in year 3 on April 8th from St. Jean in 2016 and it was closed, so we walked via Val Carlos. No big deal, the alternate route is interesting as well.

Have a great walk!

Buen Camino

Great, well fitting boots/shoes and high quality socks. Take care of your feet. Almost everything else you can make up or buy. Use books and this forum to educate yourself, but do it your way. Relax, no reason to stress. John Brierleys book is good, but you dont have to do everything his way. Find your pace and enjoy. You will need less than you think. Fewer high quality clothes are better than more. Listen to your body. Go out of your comfort zone to meet people. They will be one of the best parts of the Camino. Enjoy!

Is there a particular way in which you feel unprepared? Physically? Mentally? Emotionally? As others have said, there is a lot of great advice on here, so use the search function and check in periodically to see what's new and what others are talking about. Also remember that there is no "right" way to do the Camino. In many ways it's very personal, and no two people have the same journey.

That said, my one bit of advice would be to be strict with yourself when deciding what to take. Remember it will be on your back while you walk for a month. However, allow yourself a luxury item: a piece of jewelry you like to wear, a book (some people thought I was nuts for carrying a 400ish page paperback, but it was great to read after lunch and I left it behind at an albergue when I finished it), or any other item that you enjoy having with you. Also, think about how things in your pack can be multifunctional. I had a wrap that served as a shoulder wrap most of the time in the afternoon, but also could be a pillow case, a scarf on the morning it was 3*C, a back-up towel, and many other things.

Enjoy the experience!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great, well fitting boots/shoes and high quality socks. Take care of your feet. Almost everything else you can make up or buy. Use books and this forum to educate yourself, but do it your way. Relax, no reason to stress. John Brierleys book is good, but you dont have to do everything his way. Find your pace and enjoy. You will need less than you think. Fewer high quality clothes are better than more. Listen to your body. Go out of your comfort zone to meet people. They will be one of the best parts of the Camino. Enjoy!
Yes, this is great advice. Relax, get your gear broken in, take less and just wash it as you go. Also, start early out of SJPP, so you won’t be stressing out getting to Roncevalles. After that, you will have made new friends and the journey unfolds

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm 68 and I did my first Camino when I was 65. I did NO preparation at all. I struggled to get to Roncevaux (French spelling for 'Valley of Thorns') on day 1 but managed. Got tired often but as time went on I got fitter and things ended up really well.

Stupidly carried a 17 kg backpack and a 7 kg front pack and didn't realise that you can get your bag shipped forward every day but once I realise that I shipped the heavy backpack forward every day. Made things a lot easier.
On subsequence Caminos lightened my pack dramatically and then would often simply carry it myself if the days section was flatish.

Can I suggest you check out the 'Resources' section and have a read of anything that appears to be of interest to you.

Have a wonderful time. Buen Camino.

The camino gives you the opportunity living day by day with just a few nice simple obligations: eating, drinking,sleeping,visiting the restroom,and listening to what your body tells you. Don't think of the miles to go when you get tired. Fatigue is part of the camino which makes you aware of muscles you never knew having them:D,and maybe is a rare and feel good experience when having a non fysical job. And last but not least, there 'll be many days peregrinos will ask you joining them,some just for a day and the persisting types will look for you the day after. Be aware what's your need because it's your camino, which is more than just walking from A to B . The camino, when walked realy concious will go on after finishing the pilger mass in Santiago. Buen camino.

Honestly, the biggest deals are your boots and pack. You have to walk, for hours, a couple days (at least) in a row to know if you're going to have issues or if you will want/need sticks. But you'll also find out in time if your pack doesn't fit or your gear isn't protecting you enough from wind and rain. But if you're in good shape you can handle the walking without massive training. I did, at 48. It was tough the first 3 days but certainly not impossible.
Sure, you know you can walk 4-5 miles in an hour of walking - but how fast are you moving at hour 3? Four? Five? Are your feet swollen when you still have 3 hours of walking to do? If so, this is when blisters can be a problem. Do you drink enough water while walking that a bladder is a better idea than bottles? (It definitely is for me.) So find all that out and be prepared.
Otherwise, you're not headed into the wilderness. There are stores. You can buy what you need, even if it isn't what you prefer or are used to having.
Keep it simple. You don't need a stove or dinnerware or emergency food packs. One or two changes of clothes. 3 pairs of good socks - I use Smartwool. Don't take anything that won't dry fast. A Buff and a ball cap and sticks are essential for me.
I read. A lot. I carry my Kindle so I don't run the battery down on my phone. I also have a little iPod Shuffle for days when the walking feels tedious or I just want to go off into my own world.
I asked my son what he missed most about the Camino and he said it was the simple goal of every day - to walk to the next albuergue. That every day, he accomplished his goal. I really liked that answer. But for me, what makes me keep going back - being outside all day every day in a different place. New sights, new faces, new challenges, new conversations.
it is FUN. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My partner and I have 3 Camino between us with no blisters. I credit using a very thin polypro sock inside a wool sock, the inner sock takes the abrasion. Take some duct tape for blisters, I wrap some around a lighter or pole, apply the minute your feel a hot spot and leave it on until it falls off. Use sticks, keep the load light and listen to your body. I'm starting at Pamplona on Apr 8 or 9 so we may se each other, look for the old guy with a flute.

Echoing what others have said, but more explicitly, on your training walks I recommend you work up to:

1) 30 km (or more) each time
2) 15 km before stopping for breakfast
3) a cumulative 700 metres of elevation most trips
4) carrying all your gear each trip
5) a two day trip, preferably away from home
6) keep a log of your training trips

The purpose is to train your mind as well as your body. When training near your home you will know the routes and not much will pique an interest causing a wish to stop. So the focus of these trips is almost soley on preparation.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Five things:
  1. Shoes: Make sure they fit and are broken in. Walk a long distance in them (7 miles/12km) and see how your feet are fairing.
  2. Socks: Get 3 pair of good Merino wool socks (I use Smartwool PhD Socks with a medium cushion). Try out liner socks as well. I use Smartwool liners. Whatever else, remember that cotton is your enemy when hiking. Avoid cotton socks and clothing at all costs.
  3. Backpack: From your profile photo I'm guessing you're not a big person like me. I'd look for a max 32L backpack. Make sure it fits well...get it fitted at a good outdoors store.
  4. Pack light: <10 kilos/22 pounds total backpack weight, including water.
  5. Trekking poles: Get them and learn how to use them (YouTube videos are good for this).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's not just your footwear you want to break in, it's your feet as well. I recommend wearing your choice of footwear a lot. Every day for a couple of weeks would not be too much. Don't worry, you'll do fine. The camino provides.
Buen Camino

Just take your time enjoy the scenery it is not a race. Some tips I have picked up on CF and CdN . Shoes/hiking boots always 11/2 2 sizes big . Poncho 2.5x1.5 (400g) ,keep yr pak lite 6-7kg. Enjoy

€46,-

Hi if u take day off in city stay in cheap hotel first day next day in Hostel ..this is because Albergue expect u to leave at 7 ish in morning....also on meseta have face net for black flies n plenty of water ....good luck Jim Camino st James April 2017

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hiking the Camino really began to be fun when I realized the exciting & liberating feeling of having only just a few things to do each day while I was exsisting as a carefree vagabond!

Do the best you can to prepare. You've gotten plenty of great advice from some incredible people here, and the resources available to are endless. Trust yourself and your Camino friends, all will be well.

Buen Camino

Echoing what others have said, but more explicitly, on your training walks I recommend you work up to:

1) 30 km (or more) each time
2) 15 km before stopping for breakfast
3) a cumulative 700 metres of elevation most trips
4) carrying all your gear each trip
5) a two day trip, preferably away from home
6) keep a log of your training trips

And if you can't train this hard - don't worry. You can still do a Camino if you only walk 10 to 15km in training because you don't have time for more. You'd be surprised what your body can do if you give it time.

My comment isn’t advice but I am starting 2 April from SJPP. The forums have been heartwarming, reassuring and practical. I continue to read all the advice. For us ‘newbies’ we’ll learn a lot quickly and we too will become the new Pilgrims. Buen Camino
Maybe we will bump into each other :) Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back