• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First camino - which route to take?

miriame

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino July 2018
Hi everyone!

My friends and I are embarking on our first pilgrimage for a week (unfortunately this is the longest we can take) at the beginning of July. We are currently considering walking the last 100 km of the Camino Portugués, although I am nervous that this route may be too road-based. We are hoping to go on a route that has beautiful scenery and isn't too crowded. We're hoping to end in Santiago, and walk over 100 km to obtain our Compostela, although as first-timers, we don't want to be on a route that is too isolated or with facilities that are hard to find or a starting point that is challenging to get to. We are also considering the last 100 km of the Camino del Norte or the last 100 km of the Camino Primivito. Does anyone have experience or advice to share about how to decide which route to take?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am on the last 100km of the Primitivo as we speak. Doing that would allow you to start in Lugo, which should be easy to get to and also allows you to visit its Roman walls and other attractions. But the Primitivo shares its last 53km with the Francés, so you’d have to bear that in mind (the last 100km of the Francés is packed).

Personally, I found the first half of the Primitivo to be the most enjoyable part, and the whole thing is short enough that you could potentially do it all on a future trip. So maybe it’s not the best choice after all.

Have you thought about the Inglés?

The Camino Inglés and Camino Primitivo are good options. The Camino Portuguese has attracted me. Another option might be the last part of the Camino Sanabrés from Ourense to Santiago de Compostela. This is a common route to Santiago de Compostela from the Via de la Plata. More easily accessible than starting at Sarria - fly into Santiago, then easy train ride to Ourense.

Buen Camino!
--jim geier--

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would walk from Lugo and do the Camino Verde through from and then to the monastery in sobrado,and then to Lavacola and santiago,completely avoiding the France's. The way is well marked and very pretty,and quite easy in contrast to what was said years ago. It is much easier walking than the first part of the Primitivo. If you have any questions,feel free to ask,and most important, BUEN CAMINO

Having walked both the CF and CP, I prefer the last 100km of the CP.

Hi everyone!

My friends and I are embarking on our first pilgrimage for a week (unfortunately this is the longest we can take) at the beginning of July. We are currently considering walking the last 100 km of the Camino Portugués, although I am nervous that this route may be too road-based. We are hoping to go on a route that has beautiful scenery and isn't too crowded. We're hoping to end in Santiago, and walk over 100 km to obtain our Compostela, although as first-timers, we don't want to be on a route that is too isolated or with facilities that are hard to find or a starting point that is challenging to get to. We are also considering the last 100 km of the Camino del Norte or the last 100 km of the Camino Primivito. Does anyone have experience or advice to share about how to decide which route to take?

Thanks!

The last 100km of all paths are road based .
The secret is the diversity of commencing in another country or area and taking in the villages , culture , scenery etc , not the tourists.
Forget the holiday walk , accrue your leave and have at least three weeks on a Camino Path.
Sorry if direct but doing only the 100 km will either satisfy you or make you more determined .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having walked both the CF and CP, I prefer the last 100km of the CP.
Could you comment on how industrial & busy the last 100 km of the CP is?

Thank you all for your comments! We are currently trying to decide between CP from Tui or Via de La Plata from Ourense. If anyone has done either and could comment I would really appreciate! Thank you!

Could you comment on how industrial & busy the last 100 km of the CP is?

Thank you all for your comments! We are currently trying to decide between CP from Tui or Via de La Plata from Ourense. If anyone has done either and could comment I would really appreciate! Thank you!

Not at all industrial, as I remember it from last September. I did find the CP between Porto and SDC more urban, at least in comparison to the CF. The number of pilgrims on the CP is certainly less, but you can never guarantee that you can avoid a crowd.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back