• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino (with kids)- wondering best route...?

David and Co

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning a trip in (2015)
Hi All,
My family and I, including kids aged 11 and 9 are wanting to walk for a week in April. We are wondering is Sarria to Santiago a good section to do or perhaps the Pyrenees St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona? We are hoping for about a week's walking and really want to feel the spirit of the journey.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thank you :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sarria to SDC is good, but there are other routes that might be just as good, depending upon your criteria. Other routes like the Camino Ingles, Portuguese, Norte, etc, etc will all provide a week or so of walking. Although the Frances from Sarria is the busiest section of the busiest route, in Apr it is not likely to be a problem finding accommodation in albergues. Many here don't like the bustle of the stretch from Sarria, but after the first day, I found it was just as fulfilling, albeit busier, than the earlier parts of the CF.

Sarria to SDC is good, but there are other routes that might be just as good, depending upon your criteria. Other routes like the Camino Ingles, Portuguese, Norte, etc, etc will all provide a week or so of walking. Although the Frances from Sarria is the busiest section of the busiest route, in Apr it is not likely to be a problem finding accommodation in albergues. Many here don't like the bustle of the stretch from Sarria, but after the first day, I found it was just as fulfilling, albeit busier, than the earlier parts of the CF.

Many thanks for sharing the information :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lovely walking from Sarria to Santiago, plenty of good infrastructure, and in April unlikely to be excessively busy but with plenty of companionship. And of course it finishes at the tomb of the Apostle, so the most iconic stretch. It would be my choice for a first Camino with children.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, walking from Sarria sounds fine. Actually GETTING THERE was very important to our son at 8 1/2, and meeting lots of other people on the way was a big plus. Cut down on the complaints...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On balance, and respectful of all the other posts here, I strongly recommend the section from Sarria to Santiago as a first-time route with kids of the age you indicated. It has more of everything you will need to get there sane. There are enough distractions for the kids. Enough beautiful scenery, people, and old villages to satisfy all.

You did not indicate whether you planned to stay in hostals (inexpensive B&Bs or family run inns) or the pilgrim albergues. In April, you will likely have no problem finding space at albergues, but they typically are not heated, or not very well.

Also, expect daily rain, especially in April. We have a saying..."The rain in Spain falls mainly...on Galicia!" Your entire walk will be in Galicia. Point made, bring ponchos for all.

So, in combination, being wet and cold makes a strong case for a relatively warmer private lodging. Plus, having your own bathroom and a locked door is a luxury on Camino.

If it were me with my nieces and nephews (no kids of my own) I would try to book hostals in advance using booking.com for each night. If you are following the Brierley guide book stages, every stop has multiple choices. You can book singles, doubles or even triples (in some places). I use a smart phone. Free Wi-Fi is common in most cafes along the way, so you can research and book ahead. However, I recommend booking Sarria first.

If you want specific suggestions, send me a PM, start a private conversation and I will be happy to share my personal preferences from having covered this route twice recently, 2013 and 2014. Or,m you can simply search here for recommended lodgings at each of the standard Brierley stages.

Also, as regards starting at Sarria, know that this is where 50 percent of all pilgrims start their Camino. I work in the Pilgrim Office as a volunteer and see the stats. On Friday and Saturday nights in the large town / small city (Sarria) hotels fill up fast. So book early.

This is because the largest tranche of starting pilgrims are Spaniards who take a train or bus to arrive on Friday or Saturday, so they can start walking the next day (Saturday or Sunday). This allows them to better manage their holiday / vacation time. To avoid this "wave," simply slide your arrival at Sarria, and beginning your Camino a day earlier or later. This also has an affect on the trail, as this "wave" of people start out form Sarria and can be distracting. Starting out a day earlier (Friday morning) is better than starting out a day later (Monday)

I hope this helps.

If it were me with my nieces and nephews (no kids of my own) I would try to book hostals in advance using booking.com for each night.

I'd try to stay in albergues as often as possible, actually. Our son still remembers the lovely Austrian schoolgirls who taught him a new card game, and the Swedish priest who made up a crossword puzzle for him. (He also remembers the wild Alaskan guys who lifted him upside down by his heels, but with considerably less enthusiasm.)

Of course, I wouldn't let him bother pilgrims who just want to be left alone - but a lot of pilgrims seemed to LIKE chatting to a kid. The relaxed mood around the fire/communal table was something we all appreciated.

If your time budget is only week I would consider hiking the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago or hike the loop trail from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia back to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walked from Sarria last June with my son and grandsons 8 and 11. We had a great time although hot in the afternoons and the whining was quickly forgotten when we reached our days end.
I booked our first 4 nights in private Albergues and pensions and we had no trouble finding beds on our last 2 nights. We left cases for onward travel at the wonderful San Martin Pinario and stayed 3 nights in Santiago. Our fellow pilgrims seemed to enjoy having the boys along.
Sarria--Durmiento
Portomarin--Pension Portosantiago
Eirexe--Pension Eirexe
Melide--Albergue San Anton
Arzua--Albergue Via Lactea
Arca--Pension on left up main street

I would also support the idea of albergues, rather than hotels and pensions - much more interaction with other people and fun. Share the parenting!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back