• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino

Dax

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello!

I'll arrive to Bordeaux on November 13th and'll be in SJPDP the next day. First option to depart from Bordeaux is the morning train at 5:24 and arrival at SJPDP at 8:40. After that the office, and then my Camino officially starts ;)
Second option is the train from Bordeaux 10:02 and arrival at SJPDP at 12:59, which would mean that I'll have to find a place to sleep in SJPDP and postpone the start for one day. Would you recomend the pre-booking in second option or there is any other option?

First or the second option? :cool:

Looking forward to see you on the road!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It won't be busy, so I don't think you need to reserve. Days are short, so an early arrival in SJPdP is probably best. There has been snow already, so be prepared for the weather. The Route Napolean is closed starting on November 1, so the Valcarlos route is recommended. You have a midpoint stopping opportunity in Valcarlos.

Have fun!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Personally I'd say stay the night in SJPdP, rushing into what is a tough first day just doesn't seem ideal, though with the sun setting at around 6pm you would technically have time to do it. I've not done the Valcarlos so can't compare it with the Napoleon, though given the forecast for tomorrow views going that way may not be great anyway.

Accomodation won't be a problem I'm sure and St Jean is a nice enough little town. But the joy at this time of year is that you can probably stay pretty much wherever you like, so maybe just get there and see how you feel.

Buen camino,

Rob.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am one of those always champing at the bit to get going. I arrived to a bad weather warning for the next day when I originally planned to leave SJdP so I decided to head out after a quick look round town and then walk to Valcarlos. Lovely afternoon walk that was a nice short warm up day and then in the bad weather the following day I had a shorter walk in stormy conditions. To be honest after that on any camino (as I tend to walk in sections) I love to get started the day I arrive

buen camino! You're about to have the best month of your life:)) if you got time get to st jean earlier. it's a beautiful town and you can spend the day getting supplies, checking weather for your walk over the mountain:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not just recommended, but your only choice.
Not to recommend being a scofflaw, but no one is there to prevent pilgrims from taking the Route Napolean, so there is a choice. One choice can be dangerous, and those who need to be rescued can expect a hefty cost. Snow has hit early, so I am expecting the first rescue in the near future. Not all foreign pilgrims respect the route closure, and Koreans have needed more rescues than any other nationality (in the last few years).:)

Bordeaux is lovely and worth a visit. Plenty of accommodation options and very easy to get round using the trams. Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back