• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First credencial stamp in Irun

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
I am starting in Irun in March this year and since the albergue will not be open I would like to know if there is a church where I can get my first stamp in the credencial.
Any tips from others who have previously walked in March would be much appreciated.
I imagine there will be lots of rain and mud !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am starting in Irun in March this year and since the albergue will not be open I would like to know if there is a church where I can get my first stamp in the credencial.
Any tips from others who have previously walked in March would be much appreciated.
I was thinking of getting it at the cathedral . I read someplace here on the forum where other pilgrims did that. I start in march also. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-go-in-irún-to-get-started.54833/post-613687 Post#7 states you can get the stamp from the cathedral but the hours are erratic. Also I think you can get a stamp from any local bar or even your hotel or hostel/pension, the local tourist office also usually has a stamp. I plan to get there a day ahead so I will seek my first stamp and look around before my actual start day . The start begins at the train station as I understand it the arrows start from here. Buen camino

Last edited:
I got a stamp at the albergue..but you say it will not be open. I also have a stamp from a bar in Irun if nothing else turns up.

You could consider asking in your home town (parish or Cathedral) if they have a stamp. Many pilgrims now get their first stamp in their home town....your camino really starts from there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was thinking of getting it at the cathedral . I read someplace here on the forum where other pilgrims did that. I start in march also. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-go-in-irún-to-get-started.54833/post-613687 Post#7 states you can get the stamp from the cathedral but the hours are erratic. Also I think you can get a stamp from any local bar or even your hotel or hostel/pension, the local tourist office also usually has a stamp. I plan to get there a day ahead so I will seek my first stamp and look around before my actual start day . The start begins at the train station as I understand it the arrows start from here. Buen camino
Thanks. I am arriving at night after a long flight so thought I would stay in Irun and slowly start the next morning and only walk to Hondarribia and have a relaxing afternoon there. The following day walk to San Sebastián. I don’t want to overplan the journey but would like to be organised for the first few days. Buen Camino

well, I contacted the municipal and that is open from march ...

There is no cathedral in Irún (or San Sebastián), since neither is a diocese. But there are several parish churches in each.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is no cathedral in Irún (or San Sebastián), since neither is a diocese. But there are several parish churches in each.

There is a diocese of San Sebastián/Donostia, and the cathedral's web-page can be found here: www.elizagipuzkoa.org/santa-iglesia-catedral. In 2009, they were confused over who had the sello for credenciales and shuttled me back and forth from the cathedral shop to the Obispado, where after some further confusion, I had the departing bishop's personal sello applied to my credencial.

Individual parishes are often a better idea, with fewer (or no) staff to be confused. Going to the sacristy after the evening mass is best (as I did in Irún), but often the rosary leader or even one of the volunteer cleaners will have access to the sello.

In San Sebastián there is a beautiful big church in the main area of the town. They have a stamp in the office that is thru the door on the left of the front of the alter. There is also another church with a stamp that is in the area where all the tapas bars are locat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the info. I am pleased that the albergue will be open. The guidebook suggested that it wouldn’t open until Easter and I was beginning to worry that accomodation might become difficult.

Thanks for all the info. I am pleased that the albergue will be open. The guidebook suggested that it wouldn’t open until Easter and I was beginning to worry that accomodation might become difficult.
Yes agreed. Thanks but sadly I actually booked a pension. Would love to cancel my reservations having careful thoughts about my last night in a Nice comfy bed vs. bunk but I already paid..non refundable

I imagine there will be lots of
I just checked. Albergue Irun-Hospital de peregrinos de Irun is open from March 1.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got my first credential stamp at Parroquia de los Pasionistas en IRÚN (S. Gabriel y Sta. Gema), very close to de Albergue. Yoy have an private albergue at Hondarribia (Albergue turístico Goikoerrota - Barrio Jaizubia, 14).

I'm looking for a mate to beginning at Hendaya-Irún in over 8th-11h march, so that I ofer you coordinate our meeting at the begining. I did lonely the Northen Camino 3 years ago until Santiago. Have a look mi posts in this forum, and wite me through e-mail.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm looking for a mate to beginning at Hendaya-Irún in over 8th-11h march, so that I ofer you coordinate our meeting at the begining. I did lonely the Northen Camino 3 years ago until Santiago. Have a look mi posts in this forum, and wite me through e-mail.
I will be starting towards the end of March and walking with my husband but wish you well with your Camino. Hopefully there will be a few more pilgrims on the way this year. Buen Camino.

There is a tourist office near the train station . It is on the corner of Colon Ibilbidea and Gipuzkoa Hiribidea. From the station it is about 600m.

I have not used this Tourist office but found it through my research.

There is a tourist office near the train station . It is on the corner of Colon Ibilbidea and Gipuzkoa Hiribidea. From the station it is about 600m.

I have not used this Tourist office but found it through my research.
Please go to this tourist office, very friendly and helpfull people, they gave us a pocket guide of the route as well as a pocket guide with names and Addresses of all albergues on the Camino del Norte.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please go to this tourist office, very friendly and helpfull people, they gave us a pocket guide of the route as well as a pocket guide with names and Addresses of all albergues on the Camino del Norte.
Buen Camino
Would you be interested in selling that pocket guide? I will gladly cover postage/handling.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.