• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First credencial stamp in Sarria?

lalla

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ongoing
St Jean Pied de Port - Leon ( 2014-2017)
Leon - Sarria (planned 2018)
For my previous Camino, I got my credencial at SJPdP, where it was filled in and stamped at the time.

This year I have got my credencial in advance from the Confraternity of St James website, because of issues with arrival times at Sarria. How do I get my first stamp? Do I simply present it in my hostel for the first night? I know it's silly, but I have a weird fear that it won't be accepted because I will have filled it in myself!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first albergue you stay in will stamp it. As will almost any bar or restaurant you visit. Or many churches. You do not need to find an "official" stamp to begin with. Just remember to have your credencial stamped at least twice per day if you want a Compostela at the end. That should be no problem.

To extend @Bradypus' explanation, my experience is that almost any place of accommodation will stamp your credential, both on your first night and later. I stayed in hotels, hostels, B&Bs, etc. The only place that didn't have a stamp was when my wife and I rented a private flat for the night through Booking.com, and it was easy enough to get a stamp from one of the bars in town.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And there is no problem at all if you filled the info in the credential yourself (name address, etc).
I did it with my last credential and it was perfectly fine. My first hotel looked at the credential, at my passport and stamped it with no issues.

Thank you! One more slightly stupid thing - if I get my first stamp late at night, is it ok just to have one stamp for that day? I have awful thoughts of trying to find two places to stamp it at 11pm...

(Was much easier starting last time!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you show a continuous chronological progression from your starting point to Santiago, and TRY to get two or more stamps / sellos daily, you will NOT have a problem with the odd (as in maybe once from Sarria in) lapse of only having one stamp / sello.

They really are available just about everywhere. Even closed churches will have a table and a stamp on the portico sometimes... Start with one from where you slept. Then pick up another in whatever cafe / bar you will stop at for refreshment during the day.

It is easy, if you think about it. No need to obsess...

Hope this helps.

You could carry a potato and a craft knife to make a backup stamp in the event that you don't come across any bars, shops, hostels, offices, or churches. On the other hand, if you don't come across any of those, you've probably landed in the wrong country.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So many places between Sarria and Santiago to self stamp your credentials that if by some chance you forget or are unable to for some reason to get two stamps one day, simply get three the next day, the first one you get date it from the day before. Makes no difference. Saint James won't mind.

I know it's silly, but I have a weird fear that it won't be accepted because I will have filled it in myself!
I've always ordered my credentials from Ivar and filled them out myself before starting the Camino.

Hi,
Similar question as the OP. I’m starting my Camino in Irun in mid May. Arriving by bus from Bilbao in the afternoon. I want to get going straight away, so can’t wait for the albergue to open at 16:00. I would like to get my 1st stamp in Irun. Can members advise where in Irun the 1st stamp could be obtained which is likely to be open early afternoon?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
Similar question as the OP. I’m starting my Camino in Irun in mid May. Arriving by bus from Bilbao in the afternoon. I want to get going straight away, so can’t wait for the albergue to open at 16:00. I would like to get my 1st stamp in Irun. Can members advise where in Irun the 1st stamp could be obtained which is likely to be open early afternoon?
There's a tourist information booth in the center right near the Camino. I'm sure that they have a stamp, though I forgot to get one there.😔

Hi,
Train or bus station

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Post offices offer stamps to pilgrims. This seems very "official" to me.
The offices have a very bright yellow announcement over the door, with a stylized horn and crown, and the word "Correos", in blue.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back