• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Day in SJPP -- Time to Explore

Man in Black

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Finisterre (2017)
Chemin St Jacques (2018)
Rota Vicentina (2019)
This is our first camino and we will be staying at SJPP on September 9, 2017 and commence our pilgrimage on Sunday September 10, 2017. We are booked to stay at the hostel in Orisson on the Sunday and given the distance (even accounting for the elevation gain) we will be hiking 3 hours or so with many more hours in the day free to roam. Any suggestions on activities in SJPP and area in the morning or is it best to strike off to Orisson first thing and get acclimated to alpine air?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found that a good walking tour took about two hours. Everything else was food and store visits.;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would say if you are booked take them morning in SJPP and have a leisurely lunch and then miss the early morning stampede up the hill. you will also have less of a crush at the pilgrim office as well..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any suggestions on activities in SJPP and area in the morning or is it best to strike off to Orisson first thing and get acclimated to alpine air?

If you are walking the Route Napoleon you will be reaching a maximum elevation of a little over 1400m. Most people will notice no real difference between the air at that height and sea level and it is nowhere near high enough to need acclimatisation! I wouldn't let that factor determine your plans.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I arrived in SJPP for the first time in 2015, I had been viewing photos of it, reading about it, and planning for it for about a year. I was in NO hurry to leave it! I spent the first part of the morning helping my friend get going, and walked her to the base of the hill. Then, I had coffee, walked around, got some walking sticks...and wandered around more. Then I visited the church, where I had an emotional moment!

Such a dream had finally come to fruition.

In hindsight, I should have marched up that hill, as the next day the weather was abysmal!

This is our first camino and we will be staying at SJPP on September 9, 2017 and commence our pilgrimage on Sunday September 10, 2017. We are booked to stay at the hostel in Orisson on the Sunday and given the distance (even accounting for the elevation gain) we will be hiking 3 hours or so with many more hours in the day free to roam. Any suggestions on activities in SJPP and area in the morning or is it best to strike off to Orisson first thing and get acclimated to alpine air?
We start in Roncesvalles on the 10th. Hope to meet you on the Way. Buen Camino!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and good wishes.

I just wanted to add that I love your photo of yourselves in Fort William. My husband and I walked the W. Highland Way last year, and enjoyed it!

A hike up to the Citadel was well worth the minor effort for us. Beautiful structure and the view from up there is stunning! It only takes and hour or less and could be a nice warm-up for the legs for the elevation to come. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back