• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Day

kogga

Time of past OR future Camino
Aept 2012
My advice to Pilgrims starting in St Jean,is not to walk to far on the first day - Orisson 8km is far enough and on your next day go for the 20 - 25 km's per day.Johann Pretorius from South Africa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or Hounto, 6 km from SJPDPD.
I strongly recommend to take it easy on your first day and it'll be easier on the next

The advice is sound, specially if weather is not cooperating. However, it may not be that relevant to many. Honestly, I had never walked more than 5 miles at a time in my life and thought that first day was nowhere near as tough as many said. I started early, walked slowly, took breaks, took the longer descent route into Roncesvalles and still made it on 8 hours and felt fine. I wake up the next day ready to go. I think the cold night at the Albergue was a tougher challenge than the actual crossing :D

Seriously, what I believe is critical is that people pack light and to realize it is NOT A RACE. You will be amazed how many people go wheezing by on that first day. You can later see many of them at the Albergue barely able to stand up as they would not even stopped to nursed an incipient blister! :| . HUGE mistake. On that first day, I would advise to use a baggage transfer if only for that first day. You will have plenty time to carry your pack. Usually these services will let you borrow a small backpack that you can return at the Albergue for them to later pick up. I used Express Bouricott.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olivares said:
The advice is sound, specially if weather is not cooperating. However, it may not be that relevant to many. Honestly, I had never walked more than 5 miles at a time in my life and thought that first day was nowhere near as tough as many said. I started early, walked slowly, took breaks, took the longer descent route into Roncesvalles and still made it on 8 hours and felt fine. I wake up the next day ready to go. I think the cold night at the Albergue was a tougher challenge than the actual crossing :D

Seriously, what I believe is critical is that people pack light and to realize it is NOT A RACE. You will be amazed how many people go wheezing by on that first day. You can later see many of them at the Albergue barely able to stand up as they would not even stopped to nursed an incipient blister! :| . HUGE mistake. On that first day, I would advise to use a baggage transfer if only for that first day. You will have plenty time to carry your pack. Usually these services will let you borrow a small backpack that you can return at the Albergue for them to later pick up. I used Express Bouricott.

Do you know how much is the service for baggage transfer?

I highly recommend stopping at Refuge d'Orisson for the first night out of Saint Jean Pied de Port. Breaking the walk into two parts is only one reason - the evening meal at Orisson is a fantastic start to your Camino experience.

The food is a standard pilgrim's menu, but the shared meal experience is a great opportunity to meet other pilgrims who are also just getting started on the Way.

The accommodations are comfortable and the view is stellar - quite literally so on a clear night.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jacotrans charges about €6 per bag. If there are more than 4 people the price comes down.

We didn't stay in Orisson but knew people who did and they enjoyed it. Definitely lets you ease into things a bit more. But I agree with Diegomartine in that going all the way to Roncesvalles should be manageable for anyone as long as they go at their own pace. Take lots of breaks and take the opportunity to meet people along the way. Everyone is so excited that first day in comparison to a few weeks down the road. And on the bright side, that first day may be the only time you are hiking blister, ache and pain free for the next month (at least for the first hour or two).

started last year on 1st august...this was my first day
train into town all shops closed,grabbed credential and booked into hotel(80 euro)
started early before town woke up, grabbed baguette and water as i left.
five miles in i was on my knees weeping,sure i had made a mistake coming on the camino
just round the bend i saw Orison....3 coffees ans a sandwich later i strode on for the next 800 kms
the next 20 kms was breath taking , then the desent to Roncesvalles made my kneess change to jelly
the welcome at ronscevalles was warm and i saw many of the same faces over then next month
i;m 46, unfit and did it slowly in one day...i felt baptised by the camino
in essense the first day is when you cross into spain....no matter whether from SJDPP or Orrison

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stacy08 said:
But I agree with Diegomartine in that going all the way to Roncesvalles should be manageable for anyone as long as they go at their own pace.
Always do what's right for YOU on the Camino. Listen to your body and respect its wishes. I've met many people who were seriously injured because they pushed too hard in the first few days of their Camino.

I have noticed over the years that very many pilgrims who have stayed in Orrison recommend it and are so very glad that they themselves stayed there. I have stayed there and would also recommend it.

I don't remember ever seeing a post from someone who stayed there not recommending it.

For me, the trip from my own hall door to the door of the albergue or pension or hostal that I stay in the first night away from home is the most stressful part of the whole Camino. Once I go in that door I relax, The rucksack comes off and a similar weight of stress. Therefore I would advise first time pilgrims to prepare for that trip carefully and if necessary pay a little extra to make it as stress free as possible.

Buen Camino to all who are preparing for Caminos this year. In a world that has war in so many places isn't it wonderful to have have the opportunity to walk this blessed path.

I don't remember ever seeing a post from someone who stayed there not recommending it.

For me, the trip from my own hall door to the door of the albergue or pension or hostal that I stay in the first night away from home is the most stressful part of the whole Camino. Once I go in that door I relax, The rucksack comes off and a similar weight of stress. Therefore I would advise first time pilgrims to prepare for that trip carefully and if necessary pay a little extra to make it as stress free as possible.

Buen Camino to all who are preparing for Caminos this year. In a world that has war in so many places isn't it wonderful to have have the opportunity to walk this blessed path.[/quote]

Amen to all of that, Lydia!
Re: the first day....I much appreciated that I didn't have to slog through any more rain and high winds. It was a hard climb for me, but I made it all the way to SdC in 36 days. I am glad I started in SJPP in hindsight, for at the time, I thought I'd made a big mistake. To all n ew pilgrims: Just remember that you take the mountain one step at a time, just like life...:) If you haven't trained in the mountains, it will be necessary to go slow, stop to breathe and keep going knowing you will make it. I trained on flat land as we don't have hills or mountains where I live, and my first few days were difficult at times. But I got stronger, partly because of the Camino, and partly by discovering why I was there.
Blessings to you all, wherever you decide to start your Camino.
Bozzie
(Dee Anne)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bozzie said:
To all n ew pilgrims: Just remember that you take the mountain one step at a time, just like life...
Great advice! And one thing to add, something I learned on my first Camino that is especially true when crossing the Pyrenees - always stop and look behind you. On the Camino and in life - to see the view, to see how much you've accomplished, and to see if anyone behind you needs anything.
Nancy

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Olivares wrote "Usually these services will let you borrow a small backpack that you can return at the Albergue for them to later pick up." What a brilliant idea! Although we intend to ride the route, as we will have already ridden to St John Pie de Port from St Malo (in France), we would certainly welcome a chance to hand our panniers over for a bit! Thank you for the information, Olivares.

Would you need to book your stay at Orisson in advance. I am going on my first Camino in April/May 2019. ANy advise would be greatly appreciated

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Would you need to book your stay at Orisson in advance. I am going on my first Camino in April/May 2019. ANy advise would be greatly appreciated

Yes you definitely need to book at Orisson and a fair bit in advance for popular times like September and May. They shut for the winter. I am not sure when they will start taking bookings for next year

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.