• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First day

Leemac40

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan - September 2nd
I walked the central route from Porto last year and began my journey with a very short love affair with Porto which spread through Portugal as I walked! I am returning to Porto in March to do the tourist thing with a friend and hope to give him a gentle introduction to the wonders of the Camino with 1 or 2 days walking on the coastal route (I would also like to see what I missed!). I know the first day wasn't a great example of what was to come on the central, is this the same on the coastal? Any suggestions on the best place to start?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having done the Central route myself a few years ago I wanted to try a section of the Coastal while we were in Porto in November just gone.

We got on a Metro to Matosinhos and walked back into Porto. Very pleasant walk it was too. No reason why you cant do it the other way round and walk out to Matosinhos and get the Metro back into Porto.

Matosinhos is nice where you would be able to get something to eat before heading back to Porto. Lovely day out. Its only about a 10k walk from memory.

Enjoy Porto! I love it there too.

I walked the central route from Porto last year and began my journey with a very short love affair with Porto which spread through Portugal as I walked! I am returning to Porto in March to do the tourist thing with a friend and hope to give him a gentle introduction to the wonders of the Camino with 1 or 2 days walking on the coastal route (I would also like to see what I missed!). I know the first day wasn't a great example of what was to come on the central, is this the same on the coastal? Any suggestions on the best place to start?
From the cathedral in Porto, the Camino coastal route takes you down the hill to the waterfront area (Cais da Ribeira) and then along the Douro River to the river's mouth (Foz do Douro), where you then walk north along the Atlantic coast, mostly on boardwalk, to Matosinhos. As Chris T indicates, you can get a lunch in Matosinhos and then take no. 500 bus back into Porto. Makes a scenic 13-km walk, with nice river and ocean views and past some 16th-17th century forts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having done the Central route myself a few years ago I wanted to try a section of the Coastal while we were in Porto in November just gone.

We got on a Metro to Matosinhos and walked back into Porto. Very pleasant walk it was too. No reason why you cant do it the other way round and walk out to Matosinhos and get the Metro back into Porto.

Matosinhos is nice where you would be able to get something to eat before heading back to Porto. Lovely day out. Its only about a 10k walk from memory.

Enjoy Porto! I love it there too.
Thanks Chris, hoping to maybe do a full day and stay over to give my friend a taste of the joy of the experience, although the first few days are not always a joy as the body acclimatises!

Another option for a day trip out of Porto is to take a train from San Benito headed east up the Douro Valley. Lush vines on either side of the river valley and some towns where you can stop for lunch, wine or port tastings.

Another option for a day trip out of Porto is to take a train from San Benito headed east up the Douro Valley. Lush vines on either side of the river valley and some towns where you can stop for lunch, wine or port tastings.
Planning on doing this as well, lots to see and do, can't wait and love planning! The fear of starting a Camino is having the self control to stop 🤣

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Depending on the distances you want to do, you could easily follow the river east from Porto centre as described above, and continue north. I stayed in Villa Cha for the first night (there's a albergue there). Then onwards to Esposende. But there's accomodation in Labruge too. It's lovely here!

This part of the coast is very easily and regularly reached by public transport (bus).

Depending on the distances you want to do, you could easily follow the river east from Porto centre as described above, and continue north. I stayed in Villa Cha for the first night (there's a albergue there). Then onwards to Esposende. But there's accomodation in Labruge too. It's lovely here!

This part of the coast is very easily and regularly reached by public transport (bus).
That's what I was thinking of doing, just wasn't sure if the first few km are worth skipping but sounds like it will be fine 😁 thanks 😘

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can take the metro from the airport to Povoa de Varzim ... Porto is a fantastic town but sometimes you just want to be on the trail with just the sea and the silence

I think the best first day out of Porto is not the Coastal, which heads north through the city, but rather the Senda Litoral which goes along the river and then up the coast right by the shore. Of course, it isn't a very informed opinion because that's the only route I walked. I didn't take the Central or Coastal out of Porto but followed the Senda until Vila do Conde before cutting across to the Central. But it seemed a fine way to start. There were nice river views walking under the big bridges to start, then you pass by some nice fortresses and churches and beaches and little fishing towns along the coast, along with some nice boardwalks.

Of course, I might have blessedly forgotten all the bad parts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the best first day out of Porto is not the Coastal, which heads north through the city, but rather the Senda Litoral which goes along the river and then up the coast right by the shore. Of course, it isn't a very informed opinion because that's the only route I walked. I didn't take the Central or Coastal out of Porto but followed the Senda until Vila do Conde before cutting across to the Central. But it seemed a fine way to start. There were nice river views walking under the big bridges to start, then you pass by some nice fortresses and churches and beaches and little fishing towns along the coast, along with some nice boardwalks.

Sounds lovely, might give that a go, thanks David 👍

Question about crossing to Central at Vila do Conde….is it easy, well marked directions?
All the guide books I’ve read are very vague. I can’t seem to find exact directions.
I’m not an experienced traveler, so just makes me a little nervous.

Question about crossing to Central at Vila do Conde….is it easy, well marked directions?
All the guide books I’ve read are very vague. I can’t seem to find exact directions.
I’m not an experienced traveler, so just makes me a little nervous.
I didn't find it difficult. I think there are a couple of route options. The one I took, you turn right and walk along the river right after you cross the bridge into Vila do Conde. It isn't long at all before signs and yellow arrows appear. I did have an app with a map and tracks, but I don't recall using it much, if at all. In terms of how well marked it was, it seemed as well or as poorly as the rest of my Camino Portugues.

I had no problems with the route. Some people I've read since have expressed concern with the road walking, where there wasn't much or any shoulder at times. The crossover didn't strike me as any more dangerous than the rest of my walk, when I walked it. Perhaps it was a low traffic day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back