• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First few days on the Way of St James

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

I am planning a mountain bike trip from St Jean and wondering with this first day I am reasonably fit but wondering how hard is the first day? and which route shall i take?

Should I go on Napoleans way?

or Varicales? way

Which is more scenic?

Also on way to Pamplona what is the trails like please?

Is 40 kilometres a day good enough or should I aim for 30-35 kiliometres?

Thanks all Muchas Gracias mi amigas and mi amigos

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Check at the SJPdP pilgrims office for a weather report. The high route could be in the fog the day you want to go. I have not done the high route so I can't give very good advice on which route to take but a good portion between Valcarlos and the Puerto de Ibaneta is on a fairly steep road with twists and turns and traffic. Not the type of road I would like to bicycle with traffic.

Click the profile below for a better picture and additional comments.

Just wrote this on your other thread!

From St. Jean you have two options in good weather. The Napoleon is hardest for the first 8km or so to Orisson. Very steep but on a road. From there I don't think it is too bad. But do take the road route from the summit. Valcarlos route is your other option. Mixture of roads (can be very busy main roads) and secluded forest. Mostly uphill, but the hardest bit is the end part nearing Roncesvalles. Very steep on a forest logging trail or small path. Both uneven. In bad weather always take Valcarlos. Also, Valcarlos you can do in two days as there is an albergue in the wonderful village of Valcarlos (about halfway). Always check in at the pilgrims office in St. Jean for latest weather/info of the routes.

Both are beautiful. Valcarlos is not easier in my opinion. I love both.

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just wrote this on your other thread!

From St. Jean you have two options in good weather. The Napoleon is hardest for the first 8km or so to Orisson. Very steep but on a road. From there I don't think it is too bad. But do take the road route from the summit. Valcarlos route is your other option. Mixture of roads (can be very busy main roads) and secluded forest. Mostly uphill, but the hardest bit is the end part nearing Roncesvalles. Very steep on a forest logging trail or small path. Both uneven. In bad weather always take Valcarlos. Also, Valcarlos you can do in two days as there is an albergue in the wonderful village of Valcarlos (about halfway). Always check in at the pilgrims office in St. Jean for latest weather/info of the routes.

Both are beautiful. Valcarlos is not easier in my opinion. I love both.

Davey
muchas gracias mate and many thanks again :)

Why is it called napoleans way? is this because of something to do with Napolean Bonaparte?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check at the SJPdP pilgrims office for a weather report. The high route could be in the fog the day you want to go. I have not done the high route so I can't give very good advice on which route to take but a good portion between Valcarlos and the Puerto de Ibaneta is on a fairly steep road with twists and turns and traffic. Not the type of road I would like to bicycle with traffic.

Click the profile below for a better picture and additional comments.

muchas gracias and many thanks Rick of Rick and Peg :)

Which camino have you done?

I been to Boston a few times and loved it :)

muchas gracias mate and many thanks again :)

Why is it called napoleans way? is this because of something to do with Napolean Bonaparte?

Short history is yes. Napoleon never actually went there but his army did use that route to Roncesvalles. It is also known as the 'Artillery Route', because his armies took their artillery that way.

Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
muchas gracias and many thanks Rick of Rick and Peg :)

Which camino have you done?

I been to Boston a few times and loved it :)
My signature has the following but depending on the browser it may not be visible in my posts:

From a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (66 days, May-July 2015)

We walked the Valcarlos route because of threats of lightening on the ridge.

I'm not a big fan of big cities but Boston is alright.

I've been to Oz a few times; once pre-Peg for months and then again with Peg for a couple of weeks. We love it and wish it were closer. 48 hours of airports/airplanes are not fun (but Ozzies here on the forum already know that.)

Last edited:
Short history is yes. Napoleon never actually went there but his army did use that route to Roncesvalles. It is also known as the 'Artillery Route', because his armies took their artillery that way.

Davey
thanks mate :) i know a little about him but i know more of his general berthier who arrested the pope in rome in february 1798

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My signature has the following but depending on the browser it may not be visible in my posts:

From a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (66 days, May-July 2015)

We walked the Valcarlos route because of threats of lightening on the ridge.

I'm not a big fan of big cities but Boston is alright.

I've been to Oz a few times; once pre-Peg for months and then again with Peg for a couple of weeks. We love it and wish it were closer. 48 hours of airports/airplanes are not fun (but Ozzies here on the forum already know that.)
yes all i could read was suburb of boston mate :) i plan to do same trip with rest days but back to santiago in 35 days by mountain bike

i dont like cities at all but the history on the freedom trail i only went to the old north church though :) and statue of paul revere out the back :) my friend wanted to see the aquarium more and the uss constitution battle ship. ( i wanted to see the battleship she wanted the aquariaum) that was in 2006

Yes i have driven from inbetween orlando florida to portland maine and more before but that trip i caught the train from jacksonville to bosotn via washington dc on 2 amtrak trains :)

glad u enjoyd my country and hope u come back mate :)

u planning any more caminos?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back