• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First (ish) time biking, 4th Camino

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
Hey, All.

I’m about to do my 4th Camino, this time by bike, due to ongoing tendon issues in my feet. This year will be unique because I will be biking the shorter walking stages while a friend walks, but the idea of transitioning from a walking pilgrimage to a biking pilgrimage has me a little nervous.

In 2016, I biked the Meseta because of my stupid tendons, so I have a teensy-tiny bit of experience, but this time around, I am taking my own bike rather than renting and could use some advice on what to pack/not pack, figuring out routing, etc.

I’m not really a long distance biker normally, but when your dr. Says you should do this…. I do, however commute by bike to and from work but 4 miles a day isn’t the same. I’m working on further distances, though.

Right now, these are my main questions:

1. Is it better to buy a new helmet when I get to Spain or pack my own?
2. Can I carry on my saddle bags on the plane?
3. How important are bike lights?
4. On some of the more hilly parts, is is feasible to send my bike on and just walk those sections? (Right after Castrojeriz, getting up to the Cruz de Ferro, and climbing to O Cebreiro come to mind).
5. What are some alternatives to bike shorts that might be similar to Skorts?—I highly doubt ANYONE wants to see an overweight middle aged woman in bike shorts, and personally, I’d kind of like to preserve my own dignity and everyone else’s vision from such a sight. But skorts are dang uncomfortable to bike in.
6. What about bike bags for packing your bike on the plane? What have you used, and how do you deal with it while on the Camino?
7.Has anyone ever prayed the rosary while biking? Whenever I’ve walked, I have started my day with one while walking. How feasible is that on a bike?
8. How do you keep from pack expansion? My backpack is right at 12 lbs when I’m walking, but I keep thinking of all the things I could add to my saddlebags….

Any help is appreciated!

Ruth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few comments but others will be along

I use a rucksack cover/bag which means the two panniers become one piece of luggage (12kg and not 12lbs). Goes into the hold and not carry on

Depends if you intend to do road. I'm hypersensitive to this so use two; one of which is is a Garmin Varia. Picks up the MAMILS who race up behind you on the trail.

4. On some of the more hilly parts, is is feasible to send my bike on and just walk those sections? (Right after Castrojeriz, getting up to the Cruz de Ferro, and climbing to O Cebreiro come to mind).

Not sure if there would be a suitable taxi available just when you want it. You could get off and push. Check your descents as well as your climbs.

5. What are some alternatives to bike shorts that might be similar to Skorts?—I highly doubt ANYONE wants to see an overweight middle aged woman in bike shorts, and personally, I’d kind of like to preserve my own dignity and everyone else’s vision from such a sight. But skorts are dang uncomfortable to bike in.

Wouldn't worry. You'll see plenty of MAMILS (middle-aged men in lycra). Just wear what you feel is best for you. It's your camino.

6. What about bike bags for packing your bike on the plane? What have you used, and how do you deal with it while on the Camino?

Bike bags/boxes are acceptable on flights. You can even get it shrinkwrapped at the airport if you make sure there are no parts projecting out. The question though is if you take a bag, what do you do with it when you arrive? Boxes/shrinkwrap can be discarded. Mailing the bag forward works.

8. How do you keep from pack expansion? My backpack is right at 12 lbs when I’m walking, but I keep thinking of all the things I could add to my saddlebags….

You can carry more weight when on a bike especially since you'll need tools and spares. But you could use one of the luggage transfer services such as Correos each day.

Alternatively, you could hire a bike as hiring in Spain is cheap relative to the cost of getting yours there. Does away with the hassle of packing/unpacking. I have hired where the cost of getting my kit there is not cost effective/too much hassle. The MTB's provided are perfectly up to the job.

Last edited:
A few comments but others will be along
A great response from @Corned Beef.
I will add that the last time I was in Vega de Valcarse, I had a crisis of confidence that I would ever reach O Cebreiro - which is in my opinion the only scary climb. The local barman called me a taxi who drove me to Pedrafita de Cebreiro for 25€. There is always an option.
Your idea of biking while a friend walks is great: you can scout out the best bars in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey, All.

I’m about to do my 4th Camino, this time by bike, due to ongoing tendon issues in my feet. This year will be unique because I will be biking the shorter walking stages while a friend walks, but the idea of transitioning from a walking pilgrimage to a biking pilgrimage has me a little nervous.

In 2016, I biked the Meseta because of my stupid tendons, so I have a teensy-tiny bit of experience, but this time around, I am taking my own bike rather than renting and could use some advice on what to pack/not pack, figuring out routing, etc.

I’m not really a long distance biker normally, but when your dr. Says you should do this…. I do, however commute by bike to and from work but 4 miles a day isn’t the same. I’m working on further distances, though.

7.Has anyone ever prayed the rosary while biking? Whenever I’ve walked, I have started my day with one while walking. How feasible is that on a bike?

Any help is appreciated!

Ruth
1. Your choice, consider one with a visor. If renting a bike, bring a known comfortable seat as many might not be.

2. Check airline's size/weight/quantity restrictions for carry-on and checked luggage. Bag or box checked panniers. Lash or bag several together to reduce luggage count.

3. Lights have two purposes, to make you seen (day and night) and to illuminate the road. Any headlight will satisfy the former but get the brightest that's practical for night. Use a taillight sufficient for daytime. Flashing lights (and anything unusual) can lure sleepy or drunk drivers to steer into you, and there might be European rules agains them.

Many, maybe all, European countries require bike headlights to to focus on the road (like automotive low beams) not into oncoming driver's eyes, which rules out most or all North American brands. Busch and Muller lights are excellent and there are more choices in Europe. Power source (dynamo, rechargeable or primary cells) is up to you.

Use reflectors or reflecting tape - they're visible at great distance at night. Wear bright clothing, maybe a reflective vest.

5. Padded shorts/tights/pants are vital, especially on multi-day rides. There are non-stretch, looser bike shorts styled like regular shorts. Full length bike tights are available or you can sew a bike shorts pad into a suitable pair of slacks, be mindful of seams.

Reduce weight on your seat by packing everything on the bike, no backpack while riding.

6. The boxes bikes are shipped to stores in (and then discarded) work for shipping, and will accept some extra luggage.

7. Riding requires full attention.

8. Ship stuff home as accumulated weight becomes excessive.

Last edited:
I use "shy shorts" at home, they are like bike shorts underneath but have an attached outer layer like normal shorts with pockets and usually a stretchy panel under the crotch instead of a seam. Suitable for all genders.

I’m planning on renting bikes next month, the package includes panniers. I plan to board my plane just using disposable shopping bags. I am also out of shape a bit, and older than middle age, but I think we’ll be ok. If I have to push it up some hills, so be it. When are you on your Camino. My husband and I leave in one month from Burgos. Ultreia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

I put panniers in my bike box on the plane and take one as carry on when I tour although i try hard to use ferries where possible

I wear padded cycling shorts and I bought a quick dry tennis dress to wear over them. Otherwise I feel like I am wearing a giant nappy! This tennis dress was my best buy ever I take it on every cycling tour and it has the added bonus of providing a bit of modesty when peeing outdoors

Maybe see if there is an app or download so you can hear the rosary whilst cycling? I love pray as you go as a prayer app.

I box my bike. If I am flying out of the same place I flew into, I make friends with hostel owners and have been able to store my bike box. If different places you can ask in local bike shops if they can give you bike boxes. That might work for you on the way to spain from where you are (especially if you go to indy bike shops) but given the numbers finishing in Santiago I can't imagine spare bike boxes are in abundance!

Hope that helps

Buen Camino bicigrina!!

Last edited:
but given the numbers finishing in Santiago I can't imagine spare bike boxes are in abundance!

Correos just down from the Cathedral have bike boxes and will ship with EU +

I’m planning on renting bikes next month, the package includes panniers. I plan to board my plane just using disposable shopping bags. I am also out of shape a bit, and older than middle age, but I think we’ll be ok. If I have to push it up some hills, so be it. When are you on your Camino. My husband and I leave in one month from Burgos. Ultreia
Hola Se
Hola Señora1. I am planning on doing el Camino Frances on a bike. Wondering how it went for you, I am also not in the best shape and older than middle age. We are planning to rent, which company did you use? And Do you recommend it? Thank you for your input!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bike's are shipped to dealers in boxes of a variety of sizes, try to find the largest the air carrier will allow. We were able to pack about half our luggage into surplus space.

If not already in cycling shape, try using the time prior to your trip for training, starting gradually and adding miles as you're able - this also will help to surface potential issues with cycling clothing, etc. If planning on renting when you arrive, suggest bringing a saddle you're used to.

Asking a question on a hiking forum about bike touring issues is a bit like asking a rocket scientist about child rearing; he knows what a child is but possibly has little experience of raising one(?) Fortunately there is a sprinkling of bikers on this hikers’ forum. So try a bike touring forum for more advice – Crazyguyonabike (CGOAB) is one, Google will introduce you to 100s more, but don’t worry, “riding a bike is like riding a bike, once learned is never forgotten” haha.

First off travelling with a bike is a PITA, travelling by bike is sublime. So if you have not experienced travelling with a bike maybe rethink. OK so you can get a lift to the airport but once in Spain that bike box has to be lugged / dragged out of the terminal…. and further, you get my drift? However using your own bike that fits, has all the necessary accessories, the saddle, the pedals, the bars you find comfortable wins over a rental bike. I often debate with myself but always bring my own. Use a cardboard box from your LBS (they’ll even pack your bike), source one from Correos in Santiago for your return.

What to pack; as little as possible, take the basics and if you find there is some essential missing buy it locally. If you’re packing your own bike just add your helmet to the box – write a packing list then remove half the stuff on the list. Saddle bags / panniers can be considered hand-baggage if within the airlines weight limits. Bike lights are not essential but I like to use a rear LED light when on the road; Spanish drivers are generally bike friendly, Portuguese drivers less so. Bike shorts, do you mean lycra niks / padded bike shorts? Endura make great bike shorts for MTB / touring riders – wear niks underneath if you need them.

Don’t stress about climbing hills, that’s what gears are for. Just choose a low gear, get in the zone and keep spinning. Music helps, get a Bluetooth speaker and use your phone to play some inspiring tunes; Bruce Springsteen has got me up a few hills. Also set targets, I use an altimeter and might stop for a rest after climbing say 250m but you could stop every Km or two, every 15 minutes, every lamp-post or every black cat; whatever gets you up the hill.

Routing is easy, follow the peregrinos or use the Buen Camino app, don’t bother with Google Maps in Europe for bike routing, it sucks. Fit a loud bell to the bike – surprised that hasn’t been mentioned.
Finally “pack expansion” (I like the terminology) just don’t go there!! Every Kg you load on that bike has to be ridden up the hills against the force of gravity. One solution is to only use two small panniers, nothing more or use a bike-packing set up; those guys travel super light.

All of this has been covered above by others, I’ve just put it in to a different format. Final, final advice; don’t over plan, don’t over think, don’t over pack and KISS. Buen Camino, Richard

Asking a question on a hiking forum about bike touring issues is a bit like asking a rocket scientist about child rearing; he knows what a child is but possibly has little experience of raising one(?) Fortunately there is a sprinkling of bikers on this hikers’ forum. So try a bike touring forum for more advice – Crazyguyonabike (CGOAB) is one, Google will introduce you to 100s more, but don’t worry, “riding a bike is like riding a bike, once learned is never forgotten” haha.

First off travelling with a bike is a PITA, travelling by bike is sublime. So if you have not experienced travelling with a bike maybe rethink. OK so you can get a lift to the airport but once in Spain that bike box has to be lugged / dragged out of the terminal…. and further, you get my drift? However using your own bike that fits, has all the necessary accessories, the saddle, the pedals, the bars you find comfortable wins over a rental bike. I often debate with myself but always bring my own. Use a cardboard box from your LBS (they’ll even pack your bike), source one from Correos in Santiago for your return.

What to pack; as little as possible, take the basics and if you find there is some essential missing buy it locally. If you’re packing your own bike just add your helmet to the box – write a packing list then remove half the stuff on the list. Saddle bags / panniers can be considered hand-baggage if within the airlines weight limits. Bike lights are not essential but I like to use a rear LED light when on the road; Spanish drivers are generally bike friendly, Portuguese drivers less so. Bike shorts, do you mean lycra niks / padded bike shorts? Endura make great bike shorts for MTB / touring riders – wear niks underneath if you need them.

Don’t stress about climbing hills, that’s what gears are for. Just choose a low gear, get in the zone and keep spinning. Music helps, get a Bluetooth speaker and use your phone to play some inspiring tunes; Bruce Springsteen has got me up a few hills. Also set targets, I use an altimeter and might stop for a rest after climbing say 250m but you could stop every Km or two, every 15 minutes, every lamp-post or every black cat; whatever gets you up the hill.

Routing is easy, follow the peregrinos or use the Buen Camino app, don’t bother with Google Maps in Europe for bike routing, it sucks. Fit a loud bell to the bike – surprised that hasn’t been mentioned.
Finally “pack expansion” (I like the terminology) just don’t go there!! Every Kg you load on that bike has to be ridden up the hills against the force of gravity. One solution is to only use two small panniers, nothing more or use a bike-packing set up; those guys travel super light.

All of this has been covered above by others, I’ve just put it in to a different format. Final, final advice; don’t over plan, don’t over think, don’t over pack and KISS. Buen Camino, Richard
This is a "Camino de Santiago" forum, not a hiking forum and plenty of the members have cycled the Camino so there is plenty of information to be had on here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For your clothing, I can highly recommend Terry bike skorts and shorts. I have been wearing them for many years. I find the skorts comfortable even on long rides. They make both traditional and looser fitting padded bike shorts. If you want to wear traditional lycra shorts, they also sell wrap skirts that you can put over them on or off the bike.

There is already lots of good advice here. I love the idea of biking whilst your friend is walking and great tip from Perigrinopaul above that you can use the time searching out the best places to eat whilst they catch up.

Last October I biked the VDLP, I used two 20 litre rear panniers and a handlebar top bag for easy to access essentials. I took pretty much the same kit I used when I walked the Francis previously and applied the same minimalist approach to packing plus essential bike tools and spare inner-tube. Even then I ended up posting a few unnecessary things back and saved another 2 kgs which seemed to make a difference especially on the hills.

Lights are essential (they may even be obligatory in Spain) especially a bright red rear light and I bought a yellow fluorescent cover for my panniers for added visibility. I wouldn´t worry about the shorts, just wear what is most comfortable.

As others have posted, check with your airline on packing requirements, I have used a strong cardboard bike box but watch the weight allowance. Usually you have to dismantle parts of the bike, pedals, handlebars and front wheel.

Good luck with your planning

Do consider bringing essential tools that remote local shops might not have, especially if you will be riding your own bike that is anything "exotic". Example, we took a tandem with cotterless cranks to Ireland in the '70's. After about a week of constant rain the grease washed out of the (unsealed) crank bearings while were were near a remote village. The local bike shop hadn't seen cotterless cranks and didn't have the tools, but we'd brought them, purchased grease and new loose bearings from the shop and installed them while they watched. Later a child on a bike ran into our front wheel, breaking about 8 spokes - we'd brought the proper length and repaired the wheel on the spot (the kid rode off unfazed), As our tires were an uncommon size in that country, we'd brought a spare but wore out two and ended up relining one of them with canvas and barge cement, purchased locally. We needed our chain tool once, too.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a "Camino de Santiago" forum, not a hiking forum and plenty of the members have cycled the Camino so there is plenty of information to be had on here.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be derogatory but the OP was asking mainly bike touring questions (except the rosary question which I didn't fully understand) so the answers might be better sourced on bike touring forums. However there is plenty of bike expertise on this forum. The reply about cotterless cranks and broken spokes is one of those "very unlikely to happen" outlier events; in Europe few tools are required as bike shops are never far away to fix major problems. The one spare I would advocate though is replacement hanger - you never know. Also the OP was May 2022 so guess the ride is done & dusted, wonder how it went? More rides in 2023 - claro. Buen camino.

Hey, All.

Any help is appreciated!

Ruth
I would definitely rent a bike there, unless the cost is prohibitive. I used cycling rentals. Be sure to get a bicycle trail map (roads adjacent to the trail) (trying to ride in sand and gravel is a nightmare). You MUST look for a local biking area, with hills, to practice--and work up to at least 15 miles. You might want to consider capri biking pants. For me, I can't imagine biking except in the flatter areas (meseta). Ideally an electrical bike that kicks in when you give out, would be ideal but I'm not sure these are available--and doubt you could count on regular electrical recharging at nmight.
You are in a very tough positio. I wish you luck.

Try to get in a reasonable amount of cycling prior to your trip, both for conditioning and to identify potential problems and their solutions. Some (not all) bike shops have experienced fitters who can help you work through problems that arise. Bike seat comfort can be an issue, especially when ridden day after day - chaffing, sore bones - if you have a seat that works for you consider using it, perhaps shipping it ahead to where you'll start the riding portion of your trip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey, All.

Any help is appreciated!

Ruth
Hi Ruth, I always use my 10 fingers to say the rosary when on a bike.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.