• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino First meal in Spain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, so I'm a slow learner. Or, maybe I haven't made the effort in the past to step beyond ordering a bocadillo, or by pointing to pictures. That said, bars are likely to allow creativity in your order, where restaurants have a set menu and, except for deleting an item say pan or ensalada, your getting what's there.

Attachments

• 91C4B4DA-08C9-414B-AB2A-C30EDEAA4EA1.jpeg
    91C4B4DA-08C9-414B-AB2A-C30EDEAA4EA1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK, so I'm a slow learner. Or, maybe I haven't made the effort in the past to step beyond ordering a bocadillo, or by pointing to pictures. That said, bars are likely to allow creativity in your order, where restaurants have a set menu and, except for deleting an item say pan or ensalada, your getting what's there
Arn,
You are hardly a slow learner! That plate and beer look great. Just finished mon déjeuner here along the Marne River and I trust this is your mid day snack.
Bon appétit/Buen provecho!

Last edited:
OK, so I'm a slow learner. Or, maybe I haven't made the effort in the past to step beyond ordering a bocadillo, or by pointing to pictures. That said, bars are likely to allow creativity in your order, where restaurants have a set menu and, except for deleting an item say pan or ensalada, your getting what's there.
Arn, I love your photos of meat and cheese, but I miss seeing the pan!😋

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's something for you semi-wonks out there. When I walk, I usually have something running in my head. I could be counting steps:
4 left steps = 1
160 = 1 km
1 km = 15 minutes
4 km per hour

Here's a brain worm for you. As I walk, if I am not counting steps, I play ENYA in my head. A favorite has the best cadence “Anywhere Is.”

As you watch my video of my approach to Carrion de Los Condes, turn up the sound and listen to my boots hit the ground. Enjoy!
View attachment IMG_5001.MOV

Taking a two day break staying with Rebekah and Paddy at the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. It's a restful location and perfect for my tired feet.
Saying that, Paddy and I walked up Hobbit Hill and their bodega where we rescued three bottles of vino.

Attachments

• C115E2E1-AF8D-4805-A1A9-9E8BE1210C85.jpeg
    C115E2E1-AF8D-4805-A1A9-9E8BE1210C85.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 08152507-63B2-4A6D-A032-451509DF4B25.jpeg
    08152507-63B2-4A6D-A032-451509DF4B25.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 92AB2EFC-33EB-476C-A1AA-4A7851CA929D.jpeg
    92AB2EFC-33EB-476C-A1AA-4A7851CA929D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 212E9C51-E191-4333-9C8B-AF2872ED232F.jpeg
    212E9C51-E191-4333-9C8B-AF2872ED232F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 119ADC3C-6524-4A51-9EB8-83F0E6A94D87.jpeg
    119ADC3C-6524-4A51-9EB8-83F0E6A94D87.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Taking a two day break staying with Rebekah and Paddy at the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. It's a restful location and perfect for my tired feet.
Saying that, Paddy and I walked up Hobbit Hill and their bodega where we rescued three bottles of vino.
Arn,
Lucky you! Enjoy their special place and wonderful company.
Carpe diem!

Arn, I stopped in at Peaceable Kingdom hoping to meet Rebekah in the Spring of 2017. I'd read an outstanding post she had written on the forum and was looking forward to meeting her. Paddy greeted me at the front entry with their two dogs they had at the time, but unfortunately Rebekah was away in Madrid. Lucky you to find them home.
I loved the Hobbit hill as I entered the village.

Now consider this, when faced by adversity, I'm sent to St Michael, located on my Saint name street.
I don't believe in coincidence.
Buen Camino all!
My Italian Camino friend in 2011 (my first Camino) used to say "Coincidences are God's way of staying Anonymous" ... maybe
I hope you have a great journey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is in one of those bodegas that we slept on my 1993, my first time in Moratinos, and I think 12th-17th August 1993 or so and meteorite night. One of my friends had chosen army boots not big enough, and she was suffering from terrible blisters, so we could go no further.

We planned in response to sleep out.

But due to local meteorite excitement, we followed the locals up to the top of "hobbit hill", and it was BTW an exceptionally clear night and so one of my own personal top 5 best views of the Milky Way ever, so that all together, the spectacle of the Perseid meteorites against that spectacle, and in an unusually pleasant mid-August on the Meseta, and one of the pueblo locals offered us space on the floor of his bodega ; oh, full of hundreds of bottles of vino, and well -- drink as much as you like -- that Camino experience was rather memorable.

IIRC we chose the Rosado, not the Tinto ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Leon, it was cold all day and the wind chill pushed into the mid-50s. Really down a bit the last two days and the dark interior of the Cathedral didn’t help. I love the stained glass.
Found a nice spot in the sun for a late lunch. Just when I was warming up they opened the umbrellas. Drat!!
And my beard is coming along nicely!

Attachments

• 1A8C1FFD-40D8-414A-8578-5B9FF42FFAC5.jpeg
    1A8C1FFD-40D8-414A-8578-5B9FF42FFAC5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • 5729945C-935D-49EC-9977-E106DE812719.jpeg
    5729945C-935D-49EC-9977-E106DE812719.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • 1498B5E9-8659-4A2C-8118-DF500D6BFE40.jpeg
    1498B5E9-8659-4A2C-8118-DF500D6BFE40.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 35946173-6CD4-4B0F-945B-4F56B57A67B5.jpeg
    35946173-6CD4-4B0F-945B-4F56B57A67B5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Leon, it was cold all day and the wind chill pushed into the mid-50s. Really down a bit the last two days and the dark interior of the Cathedral didn’t help. I love the stained glass.
Found a nice spot in the sun for a late lunch. Just when I was warming up they opened the umbrellas. Drat!!
Arn,
Your beard does look promising especially contrasted to that blue sky!
Keep on keeping on and posting. Your Forum pals are eager to read your current news.

Here is an earlier post
re what you might see leaving Leon.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are a bit down, Arn. Keep walking and remind yourself how much you looked forward to GOing all year.
I too, love Leon's cathedral's and stained glass; beautiful picture btw. I have mentioned before that due to some serious structural damage a few centuries ago, all of the stained glass pieces were removed, marked piece by piece and stored in boxes for fifty years, then finally reassembled as we see them today...amazing!

Sorry to hear you are a bit down, Arn. Keep walking and remind yourself how much you looked forward to GOing all year.
I too, love Leon's cathedral's and stained glass; beautiful picture btw. I have mentioned before that due to some serious structural damage a few centuries ago, all of the stained glass pieces were removed, marked piece by piece and stored in boxes for fifty years, then finally reassembled as we see them today...amazing!
Camino Chrissy,
Storage of invaluable stained glass for protection during WW2 was quite common in France for example at Chartres cathedral. Read more here.

Camino Chrissy,
Storage of invaluable stained glass for protection during WW2 was quite common in France for example at Chartres cathedral. Read more here.
What a fascinating article and a beautiful cathedral! Thank you for providing the link. It's a similar story of preserving the stained glass until reassembled much later, and in the case of the Chartres cathedral, some of it was even shipped elsewhere for safe keeping.

As I entered Astorga, a railroad crossing is now traversed by a steel walkway. Must have been exciting in the past for pilgrims to cross safely. I could see the Cathedral in the distance. Getting closer, the Camino veered left and I started a very steep climb. Not all that happy, I reached the top and was faced with a church square. To my immediate right was a museum of sorts that served to display very unusual sacred art and history from the Confraternity.
I have also been saving a ton by shopping at supermercados instead of eating out. Two bottles of quality vino, jamon and queso for less than 12 €.

Attachments

• 5180742A-76E4-4CDA-8632-1901049F2E4A.jpeg
    5180742A-76E4-4CDA-8632-1901049F2E4A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 35AA7A08-1472-46C6-A204-17BFE1DF9DD4.jpeg
    35AA7A08-1472-46C6-A204-17BFE1DF9DD4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • D7CF8ECB-DC05-4567-810A-A8F6D5191222.jpeg
    D7CF8ECB-DC05-4567-810A-A8F6D5191222.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
As I entered Astorga, a railroad crossing is now traversed by a steel walkway. Must have been exciting in the past for pilgrims to cross safely. I could see the Cathedral in the distance. Getting closer, the Camino veered left and I started a very steep climb. Not all that happy, I reached the top and was faced with a church square. To my immediate right was a museum of sorts that served to display very unusual sacred art and history from the Confraternity.
I have also been saving a ton by shopping at supermercados instead of eating out. Two bottles of quality vino, jamon and queso for less than 12 €.
Arn,
Glad that you made it to Astorga. That railroad bridge is certainly unforgetable. Whenever I entered Astorga on the CF that muti ramped structure hardly seemed a fitting entrance for such an ancient historic city.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A wonderful day. Long but interesting. Departed Astorga early, passed the Cathedral and the Bishop’s palace. Apparently he has never lived there. Outside town is a small chapel. Perfect to start the day. At about the 2 km mark to enter Rabanal you enter a very rocky incline. It’s tough but short. Press on and you will shortly arrive. The Posada el Tesin is fantastic. Staff wants to make your Camino memorable. Tonight, Gregorian Chant in the Church. Tomorrow starts the climb to la Cruz de Ferro where I’ll leave Our Stone.

Arn, Ann and I are enjoying your postings, and to "watch" your progress. We remember Astorga well! Have a great walk to the Cruz de Ferro. Quite cold and blustery on our camino - seemed suiting for the emotional visit there. You are on our daily rosary! Stay well - Buen Camino!

Thank you both. Temps dropping in late afternoon. Just did vespers in Latin with the Benedictines. Chant!
Arn, Ann and I are enjoying your postings, and to "watch" your progress. We remember Astorga well! Have a great walk to the Cruz de Ferro. Quite cold and blustery on our camino - seemed suiting for the emotional visit there. You are on our daily rosary! Stay well - Buen Cami

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A wonderful day. Long but interesting. Departed Astorga early, passed the Cathedral and the Bishop’s palace. Apparently he has never lived there. Outside town is a small chapel. Perfect to start the day. At about the 2 km mark to enter Rabanal you enter a very rocky incline. It’s tough but short. Press on and you will shortly arrive. The Posada el Tesin is fantastic. Staff wants to make your Camino memorable. Tonight, Gregorian Chant in the Church. Tomorrow starts the climb to la Cruz de Ferro where I’ll leave Our Stone.
I am so envious! I am very much enjoying your posts. I remember so well the day my husband and I reached the Cruz de Ferro where we left a stone from my mum's garden and said prayers in memory of our parents.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am so envious! I am very much enjoying your posts. I remember so well the day my husband and I reached the Cruz de Ferro where we left a stone from my mum's garden and said prayers in memory of our parents.
I left a stone for my two sons, praying and hoping their lives "go well".

passed the Cathedral and the Bishop’s palace. Apparently he has never lived there
The current Roman Pontiff, Bergoglio, was once titular Bishop of Villafranca Montes de Oca -- I seriously doubt that he has ever set foot into the village, let alone the church.

As I entered Astorga, a railroad crossing is now traversed by a steel walkway. Must have been exciting in the past for pilgrims to cross safely.
No ; if anything, that new arrangement has made things more annoying and boring for little real gain. Trains are very, VERY few and far between.

For past pilgrim excitement, one has to look back at the time when at a certain point some K after León, you had to cross over a motorway on foot. Fun and games. Can't remember how many dead pilgrims were sufficient to get the authorities to fix the problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like a healthy lunch. And the meat and cheese slices were surely also welcome!

Cold wet windy foggy. That about describes to assent to the Crux de Ferro. As miserable as that was, about two hours later began the descent into El Acebo. The down hill is treacherous with rocks, slick mud and a continuous flow of water. If I didn’t know better I’d think I’d crossed over into Galicia.

Attachments

• 76FFD5B0-3FC3-4FF6-9EF5-21D95C5AF0B6.jpeg
    76FFD5B0-3FC3-4FF6-9EF5-21D95C5AF0B6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 612113B8-8D46-433D-BDF5-5B766EE1CDCE.jpeg
    612113B8-8D46-433D-BDF5-5B766EE1CDCE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 09CFF853-3ADA-40B3-926A-835C8FF07F24.jpeg
    09CFF853-3ADA-40B3-926A-835C8FF07F24.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At least it does not look like there were a lot of tour buses as is sometimes the case at Cruz de Ferro. I remember being bothered by a lot of flies on the stretch after so hopefully the cooler, wet weather also kept them at bay.

At least it does not look like there were a lot of tour buses as is sometimes the case at Cruz de Ferro. I remember being bothered by a lot of flies on the stretch after so hopefully the cooler, wet weather also kept them at bay.
Actually, there was one large tour bus and several mini-buses. I didn’t see anyone get out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a warm up, I was thinking a triple Johnnie Walker Black neat!
I can see that I need to convert you over to a decent Scotch, try a decent single malt like Glenlivet Founders Reserve rather than that blended malt stuff that they wack a dark label on 🥃

This thread begins with my first meal. I’ve gotten through most menus minus the pan and fries. Lunch is always the easiest if I am at a bar, but restaurants continue to pose the most challenge and they are expensive
Enter the supermercado!
In one visit I can purchase jamon, queso, olives and chorizo. Add to that a good bottle of wine, or two and I’m set for several days. Whether in a shared kitchen, or my room, I can easily remain on task eating meat and skipping the carbs. Lastly, it’s cheap!
This grab: 22€

Attachments

• E5200BEF-0B32-4B07-A9F5-F0EF47606EEB.jpeg
    E5200BEF-0B32-4B07-A9F5-F0EF47606EEB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In one visit I can purchase jamon, queso, olives and chorizo. Add to that a good bottle of wine, or two and I’m set
Arn, you are only now just figuring this out? 😉 Those self-bought items have been my lunch staples many a day on the Camino...often purchased even in small tiendas, although I substitute fresh squeezed OJ for the wine, add pan to make a bocadilla, and usually saved the hot meal of the day and wine for dinner.

Last edited:
This thread begins with my first meal. I’ve gotten through most menus minus the pan and fries. Lunch is always the easiest if I am at a bar, but restaurants continue to pose the most challenge and they are expensive
Enter the supermercado!
In one visit I can purchase jamon, queso, olives and chorizo. Add to that a good bottle of wine, or two and I’m set for several days. Whether in a shared kitchen, or my room, I can easily remain on task eating meat and skipping the carbs. Lastly, it’s cheap!
This grab: 22€
Looks like extra weight to carry ;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We try to buy the grocery store olives in the packets to avoid having to carry a can or jar. LOVE 😍 Spanish olives!!! I expecially like variety of the ones you can get at the fruteria out of big buckets!
I always buy the olives in the little bags too. They are the only "sin" I admit to.🙂

Arn, you are only now figuring this out now? 😉 Those items have been my lunch staples many a day on the Camino...often purchased even in small tiendas, although I substitute fresh squeezed OJ for the wine, and usually saved the hot meal of the day and wine for dinner.
We eat out one good meal a day…..usually a late lunch. Otherwise, it is breakfast and dinner in our room. We brought some oatmeal packets protein bars, and granola bars. We try and shop n a town, upon arrval, but, alas, not every town has a supermercado..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know I’ve posted several Cathedrals and they do stir the senses. That said, I find I spend more quiet time in the small chapels. Here is one that is consecrated to St Sebastian. Look closely at the altar where the Saint graphically displays the arrow wounds.
Here’s my thought, the wounds of St Sebastian while grievous and alarming, pale against those we often carry inside and can damage us both physically and mentally. Saint Sebastian chose to offer himself for what he believed. Never give up! Choose life…always!

Attachments

• 2324CD76-277E-4B8F-A532-F864864D0B41.jpeg
    2324CD76-277E-4B8F-A532-F864864D0B41.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 7DEA5B31-125B-42E0-B06B-473BBBD7E821.jpeg
    7DEA5B31-125B-42E0-B06B-473BBBD7E821.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brandies yes, fine single malt no!
Brewed or distilled cereals have close to 0% fibres and 0% lectins, and so on -- they're not carbs, as alcohol is not strictly speaking sugar.

When you get a nagging feeling you’re wrong, check and recheck. I thought I was booked, by Booking.com into a Hostal as far outside Pomferrada as possible to get a good start to Valcarce tomorrow. When I went to register, it was pointed out I was about six km from my intended Hostal and it was well off the Camino. Plan #2 Taxied to correct Hostal and will suck up the cost to resume in the morning. My dad often told me of Murphy’s Law…”If anything can go wrong it will!” I’d forgotten Murphy’s Law #2…”If everything is going right…you’ve missed something!”

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cold wet windy foggy. That about describes to assent to the Crux de Ferro. As miserable as that was, about two hours later began the descent into El Acebo. The down hill is treacherous with rocks, slick mud and a continuous flow of water. If I didn’t know better I’d think I’d crossed over into Galicia.
Arn - catching up on your postings. The weather during your visit at the Crux de Ferro somehow seems very appropriate. I loved the rock you left. If you can, what do all the slash marks signify? Keep up the good news and progress! Buen Camino!

Arn - catching up on your postings. The weather during your visit at the Crux de Ferro somehow seems very appropriate. I loved the rock you left. If you can, what do all the slash marks signify? Keep up the good news and progress! Buen Camino!
John, each “/“ represents an intention, prayer, hurt, etc that folks have sent me to include on Our Stone. Go back and review some of their requests.

When you get a nagging feeling you’re wrong, check and recheck. I thought I was booked, by Booking.com into a Hostal as far outside Pomferrada as possible to get a good start to Valcarce tomorrow. When I went to register, it was pointed out I was about six km from my intended Hostal and it was well off the Camino. Plan #2 Taxied to correct Hostal and will suck up the cost to resume in the morning. My dad often told me of Murphy’s Law…”If anything can go wrong it will!” I’d forgotten Murphy’s Law #2…”If everything is going right…you’ve missed something!”
Murphy's 3rd law: If something that can go wrong does not go wrong, it will in the long run prove that it would have been best if it went wrong...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As expected the Way up to O Cebreiro begins in a dusky dawn, progresses into bright sunshine and ends in a fog shrouded welcome. Many pilgrims working their Way up to join with car loads of tourists. All in all, will be happy to leave and head toward Sarria.
Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 2A1EB67F-4C12-4B18-A937-0E899AB1B7A6.jpeg
    2A1EB67F-4C12-4B18-A937-0E899AB1B7A6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 8FFCABB9-ABFD-4FEA-BA7F-3C0A30902AA5.jpeg
    8FFCABB9-ABFD-4FEA-BA7F-3C0A30902AA5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Arn,
Thanks for your update. Hopefully the fog will clear and the journey ahead will be easier.
Carpe diem.

Often, once a pilgrim first enters Santiago there maybe a sense of relief, or even disappointment, that the Way has ended. Some may go on to Finisterre, or Muxia, but the realization you’ve arrived can almost be anticlimactic.
Not so for me. Sarria is where my journey begins to unravel. I know each place I will stop. My favorite Church, bar and cafe. There’s little left to the imagination. Each step is…well, another step.
I’ll set off tomorrow expecting the normal, yet…hoping for the Camino to work it’s magic and dish up a surprise, or two.
Stranger things have happened.

So...you are both there today?
Buen caminos peregrinos!
I pushed on from O Cebreiro yesterday (Monday) around 12 or 1 pm, after a badly seasoned bowl of Caldo Gallego at the Venta Celta. Arn and I didn't cross paths, which is a pity. Probably our our only chance.

I pushed on from O Cebreiro yesterday (Monday) around 12 or 1 pm, after a badly seasoned bowl of Caldo Gallego at the Venta Celta. Arn and I didn't cross paths, which is a pity. Probably our our only chance.
I did, however, share that mediocre lunch at O Cebreiro with another Forum member, whose "handle" I simply can't recall. Decent chap from North Carolina, USA.... Somehow we Forum members do manage to run into each other!

Last edited:
Just when I think I’ve got this Camino thing worked out, I wake up in Sarria, as I’ve done several times and find I’m so excited to get going, I start out at 07:00. Well before first light. I know the Way out of town, so as I turn up familiar streets toward the Monastery Magdalene, I find I’ve picked up a following of the unsure. Off we go, down the steep hill, across the small bridge, over the RR tracks and up the hill. Still predawn as we top the hill, we are moving smartly. In the group is a couple from the US I first met at dinner in Orisson. We’ve crossed paths several times. I’m disappointed the Monastery Church at Barbadelo isn’t open. It’s a favorite stop to reflect. There’s a lot of path maintenance going on along this stretch. Path is now graded, expanded and way more pleasant than in the past. Portomarin looms in the distance.

Attachments

• 41F46DB7-881F-42E9-A50F-268C4E1270B3.jpeg
    41F46DB7-881F-42E9-A50F-268C4E1270B3.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m disappointed the Monastery Church at Barbadelo isn’t open. It’s a favorite stop to reflect.
Arn, I always stop at every church/cathedral I pass. I walk up to the door and pull on the handle. The many times I find them locked it is always a disappointment and I trudge on.

Arn,
Take care as you cross that (in)-famous bridge into Portomarin. Perhaps you will see some ruins in the water if all is clear.

Unfortunately to enter Portomarin the bridge over the water must be crossed. In the past I have always walked facing traffic on the left side but on the traffic lane and not the walkers sidewalk. This "feels" a little easier.

The stone arch with high steps at the entrance to the village need not be climbed. Walk up the avenue de Sarria which is on the right as you face those steps and you will arrive at the remade Potemkin-like village.

Last edited:
Potemkin-like village.
I had to google this interesting word as I'd not heard of it. Although originally having a more political meaning, it also reminds me of Hollywood's attempt at reconstructing 19th century cowboy towns, and facades in architecture to give a false illusion of grandeur. The main street of Portomarin has certainly been given a perfect look of newness.

Arn,
Take care as you cross that (in)-famous bridge into Portomarin. Perhaps you will see some ruins in the water if all is clear.

Unfortunately to enter Portomarin the bridge over the water must be crossed. In the past I have always walked facing traffic on the left side but on the traffic lane and not the walkers sidewalk. This "feels" a little easier.

The stone arch with high steps at the entrance to the village need not be climbed. Walk up the avenue de Sarria which is on the right as you face those steps and you will arrive at the remade Potemkin-like village.
Pictures save words

Attachments

• ADE7C7E0-3579-4E09-9774-80C017961A4E.jpeg
    ADE7C7E0-3579-4E09-9774-80C017961A4E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • 1C8DC7E2-2E95-4623-A26B-21AB9E62BC46.jpeg
    1C8DC7E2-2E95-4623-A26B-21AB9E62BC46.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 7DC5D7E3-2A45-42C9-8958-ECE89021DC98.jpeg
    7DC5D7E3-2A45-42C9-8958-ECE89021DC98.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 45
I did, however, share that mediocre lunch at O Cebreiro with another Forum member, whose "handle" I simply can't recall. Decent chap from North Carolina, USA.... Somehow we Forum members do manage to run into each other!
It was I @FRM . I also had the pleasure of walking an hour or so with @BombayBill up the hill to Foncebadon. I enjoyed every minute with both of you. Best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arn,
The walk is long but not difficult.
You will pass through Ribadixo da Baxio which is just 2.8 km east of Arzua. It is a very picturesque albergue site on the river Iso.

A detour might be to Sobrado dos Monxes monastery. March 2007 I walked there from Arzua. Stayed at the pilgrim albergue within the Cistercian monastery; silence reigned. The complex is a Baroque masterpiece. The albergue has been upgraded and a comfortable hospederia is on site. Attended Vespers with one other 'outsider'.
...Carpe diem

Last edited:
Getting to my 7-10 day point where I need some carbs again.

Annoying.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The numbers of pilgrims since Sarria continue to grow as does the number of packs being transported and taxis taken.
My initial take is these pilgrims started their Camino high on the hoped experience but sorely ill prepared for the journey. I’ve engaged some individually and as a group and most had no experience with the resources of the Forum, CSJ, etc.
It appears the bulk of the injuries are among the younger pilgrims and the more seasoned are adjusting quiet well.
Two days out and rain is forecast. Must be in Galicia!

It appears the bulk of the injuries are among the younger pilgrims and the more seasoned are adjusting quiet well.
I have often noticed on the forum that pilgrims with the most blisters seem to be the younger ones (they assume they are invincible)...I was one of them once myself...a long time ago in my youth.😅

I have often noticed on the forum that pilgrims with the most blisters seem to be the younger ones (they assume they are invincible)...I was one of them once myself...a long time ago in my youth.😅
My blister healed a long way back. Never another problem. I have had a problem with bike riders: silently speed by, jump the path even into walking pilgrims and basically hog the path if they are many.
Today was different. As I departed Arzua just prior to dawn, it was sprinkling. Up ahead I could hear excited voices and see many flashing bike lights. Fine, I thought to myself, even in crappy weather they’re out in force.
As I weaved through them, they were blocking the walkway, I noticed all the bikes were trikes. The peddler had the back seat and the excited rider the front.
The riders were all disabled with one malady or another. Even in the rain they were so into the excitement of it all.
I am so humbled.
View attachment IMG_5127.MOV

Just hit Galicia today (O'Cebreiro) and four days of rain forecast, not just the food and scenary changing.

Also, as mentioned by @Arn above, we have also seen some people I'll prepared for the heat and the cold.

Saw one guy with a homemade straw hat on the Meseta (very inventive) but he soon bought a better hat at the next town - Learning on the job 🤭.

Cyclist's, don't they ever invest in bells!! (BTW, I have nothing against cyclists (

Just hit Galicia today (O'Cebreiro) and four days of rain forecast, not just the food and scenary changing.

Also, as mentioned by @Arn above, we have also seen some people I'll prepared for the heat and the cold.

Saw one guy with a homemade straw hat on the Meseta (very inventive) but he soon bought a better hat at the next town - Learning on the job 🤭.

Cyclist's, don't they ever invest in bells!! (BTW, I have nothing against cyclists (
Till you’ve been hit by one!

My blister healed a long way back. Never another problem. I have had a problem with bike riders: silently speed by, jump the path even into walking pilgrims and basically hog the path if they are many.
Today was different. As I departed Arzua just prior to dawn, it was sprinkling. Up ahead I could hear excited voices and see many flashing bike lights. Fine, I thought to myself, even in crappy weather they’re out in force.
As I weaved through them, they were blocking the walkway, I noticed all the bikes were trikes. The peddler had the back seat and the excited rider the front.
The riders were all disabled with one malady or another. Even in the rain they were so into the excitement of it all.
I am so humbled.
View attachment 110260
Wonderful to see so many young people out getting exercise with the help of their friends.

OK, I gave in just prior to Lavacola. I was walking with a fantastic French lady who mentioned she needed to stop for a protein hit. The first two “restaurants” didn’t have what we both needed “eggs and bacon.” Finally, at Casa Porta in San Paio, we hit the mother load. Power to the next 12 km and SDC.

Attachments

• 105C6582-8A0D-437F-906E-D5F0EA50867E.jpeg
    105C6582-8A0D-437F-906E-D5F0EA50867E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
OK, I gave in just prior to Lavacola. I was walking with a fantastic French lady who mentioned she needed to stop for a protein hit. The first two “restaurants” didn’t have what we both needed “eggs and bacon.” Finally, at Casa Porta in San Paio, we hit the mother load. Power to the next 12 km and SDC.
Yum!

Wow, Arn! That fabulous feast on a single plate will get you out to Finisterre! 😉

Cheers From Oz -
Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Early on I mentioned I've changed my eating habits and the results are better than hoped. Then you asked, what will you eat since most cereals, sugars, carbs are out.
Well, the picture says it all. Although I ordered only meat, wine and water, the cook tempted me with fine looking fries. They remained on my plate.
The steak was great and just shy of a pound.
I'm in Pamplona after an eight hour flight from DFW, COVID scan of that SpHC thingie, short train ride to Atocha and transfer to 3-hour ride to Pamplona. All low cost beds are sold out. Consider reservations. Off to SJPDP tomorrow.
Burn Camino
Arn
Better get used to seeing fries on your plate... They are everywhere...

That said, the chef at Salceda Albergue Turistico does a mean potato mash - worth staying there just for that!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back