• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First night arriving for the Camino in albergue

Samarkand

Time of past OR future Camino
January 2019, French Camino
I'm super excited to be able to start my first CF in exactly 1 month from Pamplona. I'll be arriving in the city in the evening and plan on getting a credential on the spot because I can't get it any time earlier (I fly in in Spain at noon that same day and catch a train right away). Would the albergue that give me the passport let me in for the night (e.g. Albergue Jesus et Maria)? I assume there won't be too many pilgrims in mid-January, but the only walking I would've done by that point would be from the train station to the albergue.

Thanks for all the help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Usually if an albergue issues pilgrim passports they will also allow you to spend the first night in their house, if beds are available. So you have to check three things: Is the albergue open mid-january, do they issue pilgrim-passports and is it possible to do a reservation? Some hostels also issue pilgrim-passports als they are popular with pilgrims. If you arrive late, you better go for that.

BC
Alexandra

Last time I started in Pamplona I stayed in Casa Ibarola (open all year round according to sources). Its a private albergue. I arrived late-ish, they let me in. The gentleman was very friendly and the next day he set me up with a credential and I was on my way. Easy peasy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why not bring it with you from home?
You can order a Credencial right here at Ivars shop = Forum Store. You find the link at the top of the page. ☺

The postal service where I live is remarkably slow and unreliable.

I'm super excited to be able to start my first CF in exactly 1 month from Pamplona. I'll be arriving in the city in the evening and plan on getting a credential on the spot because I can't get it any time earlier (I fly in in Spain at noon that same day and catch a train right away). Would the albergue that give me the passport let me in for the night (e.g. Albergue Jesus et Maria)? I assume there won't be too many pilgrims in mid-January, but the only walking I would've done by that point would be from the train station to the albergue.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi there @Samarkand
It may be a good idea to get a list of accommodation for the camino Francés.
Here is a link to the gronze site which shows all the stages etc and you can drill down for info on each stage (etapa)..
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances
I’ve just had a look at the albergue Jesus et Maria and depending exactly what date you will get there. It could be closed. Gronze says whilst open all year; it is closed for short period in July and another period closed from 22 dec to 13 January.
( Copied under from the link re Jesus y Maria )
Exclusivo para peregrinos:

No, pero orientado a los peregrinos

Admite reserva:

No

Disponibilidad (meses inclusives):

Todo el año, excepto del 5 al 14 de julio y del 22 de diciembre al 13 de enero.

Hora de apertura:

12:00

Hora de cierre:

23:00

Samarkand, will you be arriving after 13th? If so, you should be fine. It indicates that it doesn’t take reservations either. Just roll up. !

Lots of alternative accommodation listed on gronze regardless.

Lucky you.
Buen Camino
Annie.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It won't be a problem to get your credential and stay that same night. Nice facility with a major grocery store close by and when I stayed in January there were still a few others there so it will be nice to share a meal with that night and start your first day in the company of others! Dress warm and dry and above all, be safe.

Hi there @Samarkand
It may be a good idea to get a list of accommodation for the camino Francés.
Here is a link to the gronze site which shows all the stages etc and you can drill down for info on each stage (etapa)..
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances
I’ve just had a look at the albergue Jesus et Maria and depending exactly what date you will get there. It could be closed. Gronze says whilst open all year; it is closed for short period in July and another period closed from 22 dec to 13 January.
( Copied under from the link re Jesus y Maria )
Exclusivo para peregrinos:

No, pero orientado a los peregrinos

Admite reserva:

No

Disponibilidad (meses inclusives):

Todo el año, excepto del 5 al 14 de julio y del 22 de diciembre al 13 de enero.

Hora de apertura:

12:00

Hora de cierre:

23:00

Samarkand, will you be arriving after 13th? If so, you should be fine. It indicates that it doesn’t take reservations either. Just roll up. !

Lots of alternative accommodation listed on gronze regardless.

Lucky you.
Buen Camino
Annie.

I use the Wise Pilgrim app, which has a list of albergues, but it was aaying this one is open year-round. I wrote them an e-mail, but if it's closed I'll just go elsewhere. It's the 1st night that bothers me a bit since I arrive in Pamplona around 7pm on a Sunday. After night 1 it should be much easier.

Would the albergue that give me the passport let me in for the night (e.g. Albergue Jesus et Maria)?
First of all, buen camino! Secondly, don't worry, Pamplona is a popular place to start walking, so it's not unusual to arrive without a pilgrim's passport or with a pilgrim's passport without any stamps. They will give you a place. Furthermore, I checked two popular Spanish websites, Eroski and Gronze, and they both say that - especially during the winter season - they will also accept non-pilgrims. More important is what it says on the website run by their management https://www.aspacenavarra.org/albergues-juveniles-y-peregrinos/albergue-jesus-y-maria/tarifas : they sell credentials (pilgrim's passport) for the standard price of 2 EUR.

And Jesus and Maria will be open from 9 January 2019 according to the updated list of winter albergues: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

If you still have worries, contact them directly jesusymaria@aspacenavarra.org. But I feel that you are all set for your first camino day! Enjoy.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use the Wise Pilgrim app, which has a list of albergues, but it was aaying this one is open year-round. I wrote them an e-mail, but if it's closed I'll just go elsewhere. It's the 1st night that bothers me a bit since I arrive in Pamplona around 7pm on a Sunday. After night 1 it should be much easier.
Oh you’re fine then if you have the wise pilgrim app.
Plus Pamplona has lots of places. 7pm isn’t so late

Good luck
Annie

in case you want something different,
Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 15.43.29.png. However, I think the albergue you are considering should fit the bill perfectly well. Have a wonderful camino! If I could just take off and walk! ¡Ojala!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thanks for all the help!
Hi Sam the albergue is quite nice and lots of bars and cafes around it . Re your walking I have a saying. " If you do all the training you can do for the camino you will hurt for seven days the you will be right. If you do no training you will hurt for seven days and then you will be right ".;):);)

I can confirm what others have stated. When you arrive at the albergue Jesus and Maria, they will provide you with a credential for 2 euro and you can stay there for the first night. I did exactly this in 2015

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Double check places on Wise Pilgrim and the Gronze with a phone call. My husband is on the CF right now and some places that are supposed to be open per Wise Pilgrim or Gronze are not. the Winter Camino link has been accurate though.
http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Thanks! I'll be doing that. I wrote the albergue yesterday and asked them. They said they'll be open and will have a credential. I planned my stops for the day to be the places with multiple albergues, so I think I'll be alright. I hope there are other pilgrims along the way at that time of the year.

Phil has only met three pilgrims in the last 3 days. Yes, just check ahead if you know where you might want to stop for the night so you are not trudging all over town looking for an open place at the end of a cold day. Today it rained the entire day and Phil was glad to have rain pants/rain coat to cut the wind although he said he was soaked clear through by the end of the day. The hospitalero met him at the door, helped him out of his wet clothes, put them in the centrifuge, and then hung them all up for him. He brought out a heater for Phil to warm himself, too. Buen Camino to you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Phil has only met three pilgrims in the last 3 days. Yes, just check ahead if you know where you might want to stop for the night so you are not trudging all over town looking for an open place at the end of a cold day. Today it rained the entire day and Phil was glad to have rain pants/rain coat to cut the wind although he said he was soaked clear through by the end of the day. The hospitalero met him at the door, helped him out of his wet clothes, put them in the centrifuge, and then hung them all up for him. He brought out a heater for Phil to warm himself, too. Buen Camino to you!

I'll be bringing a rain paints, rain jacket, gaiters AND a poncho for backup. I expect it to be rainy, snowy and lonely on occasions. It seems the hospitaliero compensated for the lack of pilgrims by showing the Camino spirit! Thank you!

I'll be bringing a rain paints, rain jacket, gaiters AND a poncho for backup. I expect it to be rainy, snowy and lonely on occasions. It seems the hospitaliero compensated for the lack of pilgrims by showing the Camino spirit! Thank you!
Hola Samarkand
I sugget that you do a thorough check of your rain pants and jacket and compare it with the ponchoo.
And then you decide on one of the two.
Backup is in general a not so good idea on the Camino.
When you approximately walk a half marathon each day for a month, anything "backup" find itself in the recycle bin very fast.
Better to make a decision now and if it turns out to be a bad decision, you can alway buy gear in Spain.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Oh yes... first night in the albergue :)
Bring earplugs and compassion!

Despite good rain pants, a pack cover, a good raincoat, Phil said he was wet everywhere except his feet after 4-5 hours in the rain. When you walk all day in the rain, it is tough to stay dry. It was very windy so he felt like a poncho might not have been all that much better today. Pack was wet due to the wicking from the straps as well. Consider carrying your clothes and sleeping bag in ultralight dry bags. He was fortunate to have done that so he did not have to sleep in wet clothes or a wet sleeping bag. We have both served in the Army so we know we won't melt in the rain, but it feels good to have something dry to put on when you are able.

€149,-
Treat yourself to a taxi from the railway station in Pamplona: It is outside the city, you have travelled far, and it will bring you directly to your first night's stay. You deserve it.

Edit: Drying your shoes: Put them in an (open) plastic bag and let them stay in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight with you. They will be dry, soft and warm the next morning. Goes for other wet items as well (without plastic bag). Norwegian Army trick... ;)

Last edited:
Hola Samarkand
I sugget that you do a thorough check of your rain pants and jacket and compare it with the ponchoo.
And then you decide on one of the two.
Backup is in general a not so good idea on the Camino.
When you approximately walk a half marathon each day for a month, anything "backup" find itself in the recycle bin very fast.
Better to make a decision now and if it turns out to be a bad decision, you can alway buy gear in Spain.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Oh yes... first night in the albergue :)
Bring earplugs and compassion!

My rain jacket is also my winter jacket and my rain pants double as a second layer of pants if it's too cold. My main pants are relatively thin hiking pants. Altogether, my entire pack (without snacks and water), which includes a handful of earplugs, weights about 5.5kg/12kg.

Despite good rain pants, a pack cover, a good raincoat, Phil said he was wet everywhere except his feet after 4-5 hours in the rain. When you walk all day in the rain, it is tough to stay dry. It was very windy so he felt like a poncho might not have been all that much better today. Pack was wet due to the wicking from the straps as well. Consider carrying your clothes and sleeping bag in ultralight dry bags. He was fortunate to have done that so he did not have to sleep in wet clothes or a wet sleeping bag. We have both served in the Army so we know we won't melt in the rain, but it feels good to have something dry to put on when you are able.

Probably will have a big trash bag to line the inside of the backpack. It weights literally nothing and drying a down sleeping bag doesn't sound like much fun. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Treat yourself to a taxi from the railway station in Pamplona: It is outside the city, you have travelled far, and it will bring you directly to your first night's stay. You deserve it.

Edit: Drying your shoes: Put them in an (open) plastic bag and let them stay in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight with you. They will be dry, soft and warm the next morning. Goes for other wet items as well (without plastic bag). Norwegian Army trick... ;)

Thanks for the trick! For really nasty rain I plan on wearing gaiters on top of my Gore-Tex shoes, but underneath the rain pants. Hopefully, that will minimize water coming in the shoes. I made an effort to pick all my clothes to be quick-drying (stuff I hiked before with) and I know most of it dries within a few hours when taken out of the laundry machine.

Isn't the train station in Pamplona just 2km from the albergue? That's like 25 minutes walk.

Thanks for the trick! For really nasty rain I plan on wearing gaiters on top of my Gore-Tex shoes, but underneath the rain pants. Hopefully, that will minimize water coming in the shoes. I made an effort to pick all my clothes to be quick-drying (stuff I hiked before with) and I know most of it dries within a few hours when taken out of the laundry machine.

Isn't the train station in Pamplona just 2km from the albergue? That's like 25 minutes walk.
Yes.

As with everything in Spain, you will be walking uphill. (Is it just me, or is everything in Spain on top of a hill?) It will have been a long day of travel and you might feel like treating yourself. It will also be dark, but do what feels best at the time and try not feel guilty if that means taking a cab.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I cannot offer yellow arrows but can give precise directions for a safe, level walk which leads you to...the Ascensor Urbano de Descalzos which will transfer you to the heights of the old city in a closed cabin.
Exit the station, turn left along C. del Muelle, around a traffic circle (clockwise) exiting on Av. Marcelo Celayeta whence 2 blocks east-north-east then right turn onto C. Bernardino Tirapu. This leads more or less in a straight line to the Ascensor which is just over the river bridge : look for the small, fast-moving queue at the base of the hill. And it is free ; no ticketing, simply walk on.
Buen Camino.

Thanks for all the help!

You are going via Valcarlos i hope

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why not bring it with you from home?
You can order a Credencial right here at Ivars shop = Forum Store. You find the link at the top of the page. ☺
That's what I was going to suggest. Then you'll have it in hand already. Buen camino!

Not every albergue has credenciales.

Having said that, you'd undoubtedly be able to get one in Pamplona, and if they don't have them available themselves, they'll surely be able to tell you where to go to get one.

If that fails, and you have to start walking without a credencial, make yourself a simple booklet from some folded white paper to put stamps in, to show you're walking, 'til you do get to a place where you can get one.

Last edited:

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back