Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First night in Oviedo - full albergue in August?

Mettchen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (sep 2017), Primitivo (aug 2018)
Dear all,
I walked Camino Frances last year in September and have decided to walk Primitivo this year. Unlike last year, I now have a job to return to and can't be as flexible with my. This means I have to go in August when it's hot and potentially crowded - though hopefully not too crowded on Primitivo compared to CF.

I know that none of you can predict whether an albergue will be full or not. I know. I know. I know. But it looks like Albergue de peregrinos de El Salvador has better reviews than the others in Oviedo (https://www.gronze.com/asturias/oviedo/albergue-peregrinos-salvador) but they do not accept reservations :eek:. I do not need to plan my entire camino - but I also don't like the idea of not having a place to stay for my first night - or having to spend all night finding affordable accommodation when I should be buying snacks and hiking poles ;).

So - have any of you stayed at Albergue de peregrinos de El Salvador in mid-August (or maybe even now, in July?)? Did it get full and if so, how early? I should be able to bethere when they open - so I am hoping it should be ok. I realise that there are no guarantees, but it would still ease my mind if 10 people were to tell me they all stayed there in high-season and it wasn't full :D:D:D;)

Or if anyone has heard of a new albergues that haven't made it "to the lists" yet - then I am also very open for that.
Thank you in advance.

Best,
Mette

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Mette,

Welcome to the forum!

Gronze is very up to date with albergue listings, so I doubt there are others. And you are right, the Salvador is by far the most highly rated. I know forum members have stayed in both La Peregrina and Villa Cecilia and gave them bad reviews. El Salvador is the albergue of the association and like all the other public albergues, they don’t take reservations.

I wouldn’t worry, there are 50 spaces, and you say you will get there when they open. Worst case scenario is that you will have to walk for 15 or 20 minutes to find one of MANY decent cheap pensiones all over town, particularly in the area near the train and bus stations. Unless there is a festival or some special event, there will be plenty of choices. I have walked into Oviedo four times now from the Salvador, and I have never had a problem finding a place. I think you will find that many people choose a pension or hotel for their stay in Oviedo, so as to better take advantage of all that it has to see and do. You will love the city and the Primitivo!

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks - I needed that kind of reassurance.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the very first night and will arrive without a reservation :)eek::eek::eek:). I'll have faith in the camino and in the fact that the camino usually provides :D. Just like it did last year ;).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mette, I'll second Laurie's view. I stayed there last year after a very long last day on the Salvador, it was late July rather than August, but 6 of us arrived there at about 8pm, and had no problems with beds. I can't imagine you having a problem.
Enjoy the Primitivo - it's a wonderful route.

Phil.

And the Decathlon store is about a 15 min drive by taxi.
We stayed at the AC Marriott at the train station and it was pretty inexpensive by hotel standards. The Camino goes right past the front door so it's convenient.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stayed at the AC Marriott at the train station and it was pretty inexpensive by hotel standards. The Camino goes right past the front door so it's convenient.

Thank you - I do very much hope to find some poles in a shop in town though - I think 2x 15 min is a pretty far ride in a taxi ;-) (I am used to shorter distances).

I looked up the hotel you mentioned and prices seem to start at almost €100 ...which might be cheap for a Marriott hotel but that is about a 10-nights-on-the-camino-budget for me :)

But thanks again. In Burgos last year I did manage to find a bus out of town to visit Decathlon - but it was on a day off so had more time :). The poles I bought in SJPP last year werent from a fancy outdoor or sports shop but they still served their purpose and supported me up and down the mountains :-D

Ooh this decathlon is only 650 metres from the cathedral. Thats more like it

But wasnt really worried about not finding poles. More to find a full albergue Screenshot_20180720-204612_Maps.jpg

I went to the Decathlon when I was there and it wasn't near the Cathedral. It was well outside the city. But I guess you can figure all that out once you get there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you - I do very much hope to find some poles in a shop in town though - I think 2x 15 min is a pretty far ride in a taxi ;-) (I am used to shorter distances).

I looked up the hotel you mentioned and prices seem to start at almost €100 ...which might be cheap for a Marriott hotel but that is about a 10-nights-on-the-camino-budget for me :)

But thanks again. In Burgos last year I did manage to find a bus out of town to visit Decathlon - but it was on a day off so had more time :). The poles I bought in SJPP last year weren't from a fancy outdoor or sports shop but they still served their purpose and supported me up and down the mountains :-D
I paid that much for 2 nights. Must have been because I made an advanced reservation and paid months ahead of time. If you are on a tight budget then it obviously won't work for you.
Buen Camino!!

It looks like there are two shops in Oviedo... but for sure I am not combatting the mountains before I have (new) poles. It will all work out Im sure. The camino provides

I paid that much for 2 nights. Must have been because I made an advanced reservation and paid months ahead of time. If you are on a tight budget then it obviously won't work for you.
Buen Camino!!

I might consider paying that much for two nights - in Santiago to celebrate :) ...I prebooked something nice(r) there for €40 a night that can be cancelled. Last year I was stuck in a dorm in Santiago after 32+ days because I waited too long to book. This time I will go for dorms untill Santiago and then privacy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First,
I hope you are happy with the restriction of having a job to go back to...you have been reassured about the best albergue. In the event that it should be full, the hotel Gran Regente is central and yet only about ten or fifteen minutes walk from train station. I found a rate online, and when I went in to enquire, whatever their rate was, they honoured the one I had seen, and we booked in there and then. I can’t remember offhand but I think it was €60 for a room for two nights, buffet breakfast included.

First,
I hope you are happy with the restriction of having a job to go back to...you have been reassured about the best albergue. In the event that it should be full, the hotel Gran Regente is central and yet only about ten or fifteen minutes walk from train station. I found a rate online, and when I went in to enquire, whatever their rate was, they honoured the one I had seen, and we booked in there and then. I can’t remember offhand but I think it was €60 for a room for two nights, buffet breakfast included.

I prefer no restrictions and not having to work (in general) - but since I have expenses to cover and bills to pay, that is unfortunately not an option ;)

But thanks for tip with the hotel :D.
I'm no longer concerned about the first night in Oviedo - more about the mountains that follow :eek:;)

Hi Mette,

I stayed at Albergue de peregrinos de El Salvador on 12 July and there were probably 15-20 pilgrims there. Some of them were bicigrinos. :) It's a huge albergue, I don't think there will be a problem to get a bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mette,

I stayed at Albergue de peregrinos de El Salvador on 12 July and there were probably 15-20 pilgrims there. Some of them were bicigrinos. :) It's a huge albergue, I don't think there will be a problem to get a bed.

Thank you for letting me know

I went to the Decathlon when I was there and it wasn't near the Cathedral. It was well outside the city. But I guess you can figure all that out once you get there.

Maybe there are 2 Decathlons? I came across one (not a big one) at 3 Calle Uria, not far from the Cathedral. This is a busy road with lots of shops, eg. El Corte Inglés.

Attachments

• Oviedo.jpg
    Oviedo.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Maybe there are 2 Decathlons? I came across one (not a big one) not far from the Cathedral.
Decathlon recently (well, within the last 4 or 5 years) has started building smaller stores in the central urban core. They call them Decathlon City. The big stores are still out in the industrial parks where land is cheap and public transportation usually pretty bad, so the in-city options are great for peregrinos. Lisbon and Zaragoza are two cities where I have seen the in-city version, so it sounds like they are expanding their locations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe there are 2 Decathlons? I came across one (not a big one) at 3 Calle Uria, not far from the Cathedral. This is a busy road with lots of shops, eg. El Corte Inglés.

Decathlon recently (well, within the last 4 or 5 years) has started building smaller stores in the central urban core. They call them Decathlon City. The big stores are still out in the industrial parks where land is cheap and public transportation usually pretty bad, so the in-city options are great for peregrinos. Lisbon and Zaragoza are two cities where I have seen the in-city version, so it sounds like they are expanding their locations.

Hiking poles here I come :D
...even if there hadnt been a decathlon in town, I sure I'd find someone else selling gear for pilgrims ;):)

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. We went to the big one that was about a 15 min drive away because we need to buy a fuel canister for our stove. That's probably the only store that had it when I did the online search.

I few years ago I was surprised to find a small Decathlon is Barcelona near plaza Cataluna. Now I understand....

:) Thank you peregrina2000 to make it clear

leyendo los comentarios me daba un poco de miedo en hospedarme en villa cecilia pero estuve en semana santa y estaba todo lleno,Me sorprendio que aunque si es un sitio algo antiguo las habitaciones y el baño estaban muy limpios y no tuve problema. continuo mi camino y queria dejar mi experiencia por si sirve de algo

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back