• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First night in SJPDP

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

I'll be arriving in SJPDP from Bayonne on Sept. 9 for my first Camino Frances. Knowing I can be there late morning / afternoon, do you have any suggestion on where I should spend my first night?

Thank's for your ever preciuous input!

Max

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys!

I'll be arriving in SJPDP from Bayonne on Sept. 9 for my first Camino Frances. Knowing I can be there late morning / afternoon, do you have any suggestion on where I should spend my first night?

Max

This website gives you a wealth of information.
Albergues, Hostales, Pensiones or Hotels.

Good luck.

I would probably stay the first night in Orison. This makes the next day SJPdP-Roncesvalles easier.

I do not know why the first stages on most roads are so hard when you still lack training, ...!😂

Now more seriously ... SJPdP - Roncesvalles is a beautiful stage ... but a difficult one. If you think that you lack a little training, sleeping in Orison, could be a good idea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would probably stay the first night in Orison. This makes the next day SJPdP-Roncesvalles easier.

I do not know why the first stages on most roads are so hard when you still lack training, ...!😂

Now more seriously ... SJPdP - Roncesvalles is a beautiful stage ... but a difficult one. If you think that you lack a little training, sleeping in Orison, could be a good idea.
I think that this is a good idea, unless you want to spend some time in St Jean. It only takes a few hours to reach Orisson, so most reasonably fit people can easily leave in the late morning or early afternokn and arrive in time. You do need to have a reservation for Orisson.

If you'd rather spend your first night in St Jean people speak highly of Beilari on Rue de la Citadelle, it also has the advantage of being immediately opposite the pilgrim office. Last ime I stayed at Le Chemin Vers L'etoile run by an eccentric but charming guy who will give you a full pep talk on what lies ahead. If you want something a little more private I could also recommend Maison Ziberoa which a nice peaceful room befpre the madness begins.

Hi guys!

Max
I also arrive in SJPDP from Bayonne. I'm spending one night there before I head out on the Camino. You can find lodging in SJPDP on booking.com.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys!

Max
There are numerous places to stay, but you need to contact them right now to reserve a bed. People normally reserve beds there 90 days in advance and you are going during a high volume month.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are numerous places to stay, but you need to contact them right now to reserve a bed. People normally reserve beds there 90 days in advance and you are going during a high volume month.

Are you speaking specifically about Orisson @c0484 ? I've not booked at all in St Jean on my previous two caminos.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am speaking of SJPDP & Orisson.

Ah. I can only speak anecdotally and say that I have not met people who have booked so far ahead. But @Maxcheese is arriving for one of the busiest two or three weeks of the year so I guess booking ahead couldn't do any harm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi guys!

Max
I’ve started and ended a few caminos in SJPDP. I’m not sure Orison saves you much. It’s essentially a tiny hut sitting along side the road. I’d suggest you would find the buzz in SJ would set you up for a great first day. I’ve stayed at the place below a few times. Great rooms. Amazing breakfast. Great host. Good English. You will love it.
Maison Donamaria
1 Chemin d’Olhonce
64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port
France

www.donamaria.fr
cell : 0033 / 661 90 29 21

PLAY Donamaria's Vidéo :

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah. I can only speak anecdotally and say that I have not met people who have booked so far ahead. But @Maxcheese is arriving for one of the busiest two or three weeks of the year so I guess booking ahead couldn't do any harm.
You're scaring me a little here! Aren't September/October supposed to be starting to be more relaxed on the camino? I was under the impression that the busiest time was may til july...

Hey @Maxcheese

Really don't mean to scare you. Here's a profile by week of numbers of people starting from St Jean in 2017 that @Katharina was good enough to share.

The busiest week of the year was for the week starting September 4th but the week you intend to leave numbers are about 500 fewer, that's a lot of extra capacity! For my first camino back in 2015 I set off in what would be Week 18 on this graph, the second busiest of the year and I had no trouble.

As far as I can tell what really determines whether you get a bed or not is how early you stop walking rather than the time of year you walk. I like to start early, basically sun up and finish around 2pm hence no issues, if I were only to be finishing after 4pm I think things we be a fair bit more tricky. Likewise for getting a bed in St Jean if you arrive first thing in the morning you'll almost certainly be fine, if you come in on the last train things may be more dicey.

Personally I love the freedom of not booking and encourage you to give it a chance too but we must all make our own choices about risk and reward.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve started and ended a few caminos in SJPDP. I’m not sure Orison saves you much. It’s essentially a tiny hut sitting along side the road.
Not sure I'd call it a tiny hut. I found it charming and thoroughly enjoyed staying there in 2016. So much so I will again stay there later this year.

Max,

Check out Ixtalpea in SJPP. Nice place run by a mom and daughter. Very clean and comfortable.

Buen Camino

Not sure I'd call it a tiny hut. I found it charming and thoroughly enjoyed staying there in 2016. So much so I will again stay there later this year.
Orisson was a wonderful start to our Camino last year, highly recommend. We took the jeep track from the top down to Roncesvalles, and arrived before opening time. (The previous year we only stopped for coffee)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back