• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first night on the camino ... at Ponferrada

KarolMT

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Dear fellow peregrinos,

For those, who started their camino in Ponferrada, where did you sleep during the first night (before the actual camino)?

I plan to arrive about 6pm in Ponferrada. I shall buy my credencial, to start the actual walking the morning after. However, where do people who start from there usually sleep on the first night? I understand that the albergues are for those who have walked during the day and not for starters... or is it not?

There are a couple of hotels in Ponferrada, but I prefer somewhere humble than lavish.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You need your credential to use the albergues so you should consider getting it before you arrive. They are available here on the forum shop or you might be able to get one before you leave home in your own area.
Buen Camino.

Get your credential and find the municipal albergue. They will let you in. Maybe they also issue credentials: It is a big albergue. As said above, you can order it here on this forum too. No need for expensive hotel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
you can obtain a credencial in Albergue San Nicholas and stay there if you just starting.
why not get one before you go as mention from this forum one less item to worry about

If you want one last night of comfort before you start your camino, I can recommend the Hotel Los Templarios. It is quite a humble little place but it is clean and comfortable and the room rate won't break the bank (35 Euro last May). The location is extremely central and right on the way out of town on the camino. Ponferrada is a lovely town, one of my favourites along the way. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you want one last night of comfort before you start your camino, I can recommend the Hotel Los Templarios. It is quite a humble little place but it is clean and comfortable and the room rate won't break the bank (35 Euro last May). The location is extremely central and right on the way out of town on the camino. Ponferrada is a lovely town, one of my favourites along the way. Buen Camino.
Whilst the Albergue will put you in pilgrim mode I too would vote for the Hotel Los Templarios. Its off the main street so is a lot quieter than the Encina (also E35).
Buen Camino

or camp out the back of albergue San nicholas. not in the kept garden part its self. the ground behind through the gate then your meeting your "humble requirement":D

Last edited:
Dear fellow peregrinos,

For those, who started their camino in Ponferrada, where did you sleep during the first night (before the actual camino)?

I plan to arrive about 6pm in Ponferrada. I shall buy my credencial, to start the actual walking the morning after. However, where do people who start from there usually sleep on the first night? I understand that the albergues are for those who have walked during the day and not for starters... or is it not?

There are a couple of hotels in Ponferrada, but I prefer somewhere humble than lavish.
I had a long trip there and arrived late I stayed at Los Templarios and was very glad I did! Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Totally agree!

We started in Leon, but decided to reserve a hotel room for the first night. We were traveling a significant distance, so we decided we'd like to ensure a comfortable sleep and didn't want the uncertainty of not knowing where we'd stay that first night. It was a good choice for us.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi! I walked in June from Ponferrada. I stayed at the hostal rio selmo. It was simple but nice and near the trail. I got my credentials at an albergue in Ponferrada but I don't remember the name of it. I went to an tourist information place and asked where to get my credentials and they told me exactly how to get to the albergue. Buen Camino :)

Dear fellow peregrinos,

The parochial albergue sells credentials 1.50€ and you certainly can stay there to begin your Camino the next day. I am hospitalera there and live in Ponferrada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear fellow peregrinos,

Los Templarios is a great little hotel and the surroundings (medieval) are superb. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back