Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

First Night

mikepreston

We arrive in Oporto on 20th June and, after collecting our Credencial from the cathederal, will travel to Valenca in readiness to start our Camino the next day. Would we be eligible to stay in the Albergue in Tui on the night before we start or do we need to book local accommodation?

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

mtnjugs

We start our walk next Sunday from Astorga and I have that same question. Can we stay in an albergue or in a local hotel?

D

Deleted member 3000

The Albergue San Javier in Astorga is a Red Albergue, so probably will not require that you walk into Astorga. They have 110 beds (or so, after recent renovations), so your chances are good if you are not too late in the day.

mmonomm

if you don't want to spend money, in valenca you can stay at the fire station, for free!!!!! every fire station welcomes pilgrims!!! but in Valenca, the albergue is much more beautiful, it is next to the fire station, near the castle... and is donativo.
so if you already have a credential, so can stay there. the worst case scenario is that pilgrims walking more than you , will be housed first.

mikepreston

Thanks for the advice - we have booked into a hotel in Valenca for the night and it's not too bad at £66 in total for 3 of us but, I may cancel now and stay in the Alberge

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

mikepreston

mmonomm said:
if you don't want to spend money, in valenca you can stay at the fire station, for free!!!!! every fire station welcomes pilgrims!!! but in Valenca, the albergue is much more beautiful, it is next to the fire station, near the castle... and is donativo.
so if you already have a credential, so can stay there. the worst case scenario is that pilgrims walking more than you , will be housed first.
Any idea how busy the route will be from 20th June onwards?

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Impossible to tell exactly - last year almost 12000 pilgrims walked this route - it is expected that this year that number will at least double to 24,000+. May is getting busier as will June with the busiest months being July and August.

Simon

Past OR future Camino
2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2019
As long as you have a Credencial you are eligible to stay in the albergue.

Davroos

Simon said:
As long as you have a Credencial you are eligible to stay in the albergue.

This line above is incorrect.

What we found is that when we walked from Pont de Lima to Tui, there were pilgrims who had walked just from Valenca and they were not given beds until after 19:00. The beds will always be given to Pilgrims who have come some distance before they give it to a pilgrim who has walked across the river

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Simon

Past OR future Camino
2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2019
Apologies folks: I've obviously been lucky in the past. I hope you encounter friendly hospidalleros in Tui and Astorga. Buen Camino.

catattack

I was also wondering about my first night in Porto. Since I will be travelling via train, bus and ferry from Marrakesh, I don't know the exact day or time I will arrive in Porto.

I have actually been looking at places to couch surf, might be a fun way to start of the Camino, with a local :):)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads