• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FIRST OPEN AIR MASS IN QUINTANA SQUARE

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
EL CORREO GALLEGO reports:
Yesterday Santiago was the venue for a historic act that goes far beyond the symbolic. Twenty centuries after initiation of preaching in Asia and Europe gathered in the Basilica Compostela relics of two apostles.
The St. James was accompanied by the incorrupt arm of St. Thomas, that the faithful of the Italian region of Abruzzo , headed by their archbishop, Monsignor Carlo Ghidelli , carried in procession from Saint Martin Pinario .
The event is part of the campaign to promote religious tourism in the region of Abruzzo, which takes place in Compostela along all week. The relic of St Thomas is kept in the coastal town of Ortona from 1258.
The schedule of activities is scheduled to continue Monday , a day that will pay special attention to the promotion among the local media , and the signing of a memorandum of understanding with the network of roads in Europe.
Also host a luncheon in which you can sample typical local products in Abruzzi and Lentella Choir will perform .
The Holy Arm Silver , whose interior is preserved relic of the Apostle Thomas traveled from Italy to Compostela by special permission.
Together with the ecclesiastical authorities , the delegation was composed of a large group of neighbors in Abruzzi , who attended the ceremony dressed in historical costumes , pennons and religious symbols , which gave special color to a rúas that up along the entire day, but especially in the morning, were traversed by numerous pilgrimages whose members came not only from Galicia but from all over Spain and from very different backgrounds and of all ages .
Expeditions were so many gathered in the city that for the first time this year the square of A Quintana became an extension of the Cathedral, because the capacity of the temple and the time of the tails were clearly insufficient, as that many facilities catering establishments in the historic area and its surroundings.
The Pilgrim's Mass presided over by noon Compostela Archbishop Monsignor Julián Barrio, accompanied by Monsignor Ghidelli , was heard in a place filled to overflowing, so that access point was closed from the Via Sacra and the square gives Immaculate.
Because Italy was not the only pilgrim who arrived in the morning to Compostela, as well attested to the banners could be seen in the vicinity of the Basilica, and picked the very distant origins of which came from each group.
Like in the Cathedral , which is only accessible from Platerías , also closed the entrances to A Quintana from the square in A Immaculate and the Via Sacra , in order to regulate the attendance of visitors to attend to religious celebrations.

Among the crowds that filled the historic yesterday , include the more than five hundred persons in the expedition organized by Special Olympics Galicia.
A pilgrimage is conducted in collaboration with Fademga and FEAPS , which was supported by both the Xunta and the University and the city of Santiago. In it, moreover, were also present about a hundred members of the General Directorate of Volunteering and teaching institution collaborated in the organization.
In fact, until access to the square of A Quintana had to be demonstrated, as all entries were checked by the security forces to avoid the crowds can result in some kind of problem.

The government representatives competent in collaboration with Galicia expressed in this symbolic way, and both the Mayor of Compostela , Sanchez Bugallo, as the Regional Minister of Traballo , Beatriz Mato, accompanied the members of its entry into the city.

After the ceremony , which spoke from a lectern Mato located at the top of the stairs to the plaza, the responsible regional advantage to announce that the comprehensive action plan aimed at people with a problem of disability is agreed at the end of this June with all sectors involved, from professional bodies , to collaborate in their collective integration.

Attachments

• Quintana Square.jpg
    Quintana Square.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 781
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back