• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Or Last Section Of The Camino

Rhun Leeding

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2015
Camino Ingles & Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia Sept/Oct 2016
Hi all,

I'm planning to set out on my third Camino experience in September 2018, having completed the Ingles in 2016, and from Leon to Santiago with my father in 2015.

I'm currently torn between heading out on the first section of the Camino Frances, which for me in the time I have available would be from St Jean to Burgos, or possibly retracing my steps from Leon to Santiago, with the memories that section holds.

Any thoughts or preferences that more experienced walkers may have of the two parts of the Frances?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have not walked any section of the CF - but I know for sure you can never go back. It will never be the same as your first experience, and you will constantly be comparing the two. Don't do that to yourself. Go forward! Your plan to walk from SJPP to Burgos is sound.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, that was pretty unanimous! I suppose as I'll be walking alone, it'll be a shame to let friends made along the way go on without me, but I think you're all right about making new memories. Then the meseta the following year...subject to work and money allowing of course! :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I'm planning to set out on my third Camino experience in September 2018, having completed the Ingles in 2016, and from Leon to Santiago with my father in 2015.

I'm currently torn between heading out on the first section of the Camino Frances, which for me in the time I have available would be from St Jean to Burgos, or possibly retracing my steps from Leon to Santiago, with the memories that section holds.

Any thoughts or preferences that more experienced walkers may have of the two parts of the Frances?

Hey Rhun,

I completed Camino France from SPDP in June 2016, the whole million steps over 32 days - I'd do the first part again not a question. From Sarria to Santiago was more like a fun run with way too many people on the trail...it was overwhelming after the first half.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have not walked any section of the CF - but I know for sure you can never go back. It will never be the same as your first experience, and you will constantly be comparing the two. Don't do that to yourself. Go forward! Your plan to walk from SJPP to Burgos is sound.

So true Kitsambler. The wonderful thing about the Camino and what keeps people coming back is that you never get the same experience twice. On that basis I agree with the others in the thread and suggest breaking new ground.

Last edited:
I'll also add myself to the SJPDP to Burgos vote. Not so much for the scenery though because there is plenty of beauty and variety along the way in both the sections you mention. My two main reasons would be (a) that it is always good to try something new and (b) there is so much infectious enthusiasm and anticipation amongst your fellow pilgrims who are just setting out on their journeys in those first few days.

Leon to Santiago...personally I will never cross the Pyrenees again after my last experience...and my next solo Camino after Camino del Norte will be from Leon to Santiago...I was so tired by the time I reached Leon I really did not get a chance to enjoy the best part of the Camino Frances...but for something extra add in Finisterre and Muxia for a new experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When starting a journey, I customarily recommend starting at the beginning. On the Camino Frances (CF) that means starting at SJPdP.

The Camino Frances changes character as you progress West, towards Santiago. To fully appreciate the entire CF, IMHO, you ought to do it in order from East to West, even if you need to split it into segments done in consecutive journeys. Many people do this.

In the context of your original post, I suggest starting at SJPdP and stopping at Burgos. The next time, start at Burgos and go as far as time permits.

Remember to use the same credential you started with. It is okay to do this, as long as the separate segments depict continuous progress along the CF.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A couple of alternatives to throw into the mix:
O Cebreiro to Muxia
Bayonne to Burgos via Pamplona (i.e. Camino Baztan then Camino Frances)
Lourdes to Pamplona via SJPP

Let me make your choice even more difficult. How about re-doing Leon to Ponferrada, about 4 days and then taking the Camino Invierno from there. Take a different route from what you took before between Leon and Astorga and in Astorga see some sights you missed last time. So you get a bit of what you did before but by taking the Invierno you do something new and do it before it starts getting crowded.

Between Leon onward on the CF or SJPdP onward I think I would pick SJPdP onward.

BTW, Peg and I did not do the Invierno, something I regret as it would have been more adventuresome, but Peg was injured and the CF was the best way for us to finish.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll second the people saying not to miss the sjpdp to burgos section. I'm not sure if it was because it was all so new at that point or the views but it is probably my favorite section from the one time I have walked.

Definitely in the minority here, but I would pick León to Santiago without hesitation. Galicia was the prettiest part of Spain on the CF, at least in the late fall, and there are enough variants that you can make it feel like a 'new' camino if you want.

St. Jean to Burgos had too much road walking for my tastes, and was probably my least favorite stretch in 1500 km of walking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me, the stretch between SJPP and Burgos was delightful for many reasons. There is an excitement, a certain frisson in SJPP for pilgrims beginning their camino. Lotsa chatter, people sharing their excitement. Like skitterish colts wanting to break out of the corral. On a good day, unparalleled views when you go up and over the Pyrennes. Even when the weather is terrible, as it was when we reached the summit and then down to Roncesvalles, there was a soul-expanding feeling of accomplishment.

Burgos and the view from Alto Perdon ... some real camino highlights in a short period of time.

Attachments

• 20170913_163253.jpg
    20170913_163253.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Definitely St Jean to Burgos, I consider it is far superior to the second half. Navarre, Rioja and Castille are in my opinion far more beautiful than Galicia, and not as wet and cold. Plus you have less pilgrims. Pamplona to Santo Domingo is a beautiful stretch. If you had the time though: doing the Camino Aragonese from Pau, or even Bedous or Urdon and linking onto the Frances, is an even more impressive crossing of the Pyrenees, and quieter. Don't be conned into missing the Meseta eventually, it is wonderful.

Based on my own Camino experience, I recommend walking the entire length of the Camino Frances in any order and over any number of years, and then do not hesitate to return to re-walk any or all sections. It will never be exactly the same experience because everything—the weather, the people, the albergues, and you—will be a little bit the same, but different. One of the greatest joys I have as I re-walk the CF year after year is re-encountering the memories of the places and the people and the feelings I had that seem to be ‘stashed’ there along the way, waiting for me to remember them again. I know that I am not the only one to have had that strange experience. (I am sure this sounds very weird.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me there is no contest, the first days between STPP and Burgos were easily my favorite days on the Camino.

DITTO to all prior comments! Each half of the Frances is entirely different from the other, so finish it before you head back for a repeat! Beauty awaits you!
We are unanimous (to quote an old tv program)! Besides walking a new to you path, you will make new memories. Embrace the unknown!!

Thanks all - some good insights both for and against. I think I will look at SJPP to Burgos this September, and hopefully the Meseta in the Spring of the following year. After that, there's plenty more Caminos to explore evidently! Now to crack on with the training...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanx for the welcome and link threads. Got a language barrier for both French and Spanish and will be relying on google translate, hope this will help.

If you are thinking of walking from Lourdes to SJPP, I have PDF versions of the accommodation lists. Just message me if you are interested.

Hey 10derfoot - welcome to the gang. Hope to see you out on the road later in the year. I have limited Spanish (point and smile apologetically a lot!) and no French at all. In my experience on the latter part of the Frances, almost every albergue/shop had someone who spoke at least some English.

The Camino Ingles however was not quite so popular, so had fewer English speakers. I still enjoyed though, and found a helpful mate who was better in Spanish than I!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back