A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

First Passport stamp

Santiago Photo Book

sydneypilgrims

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Camino (2019)
Where do I get my first passport stamp? I am technically starting my Camino in Porto, but am taking the train to Barcelos to start walking from there. Do I get a stamp in Barcelos? Porto? Or do I wait until my first nights accommodation? (Casa de fernanda)

Thank you!

stratophile

It's up to you. To receive your compostela you only need to get two stamps a day covering your last 100km (assuming you are walking and not cycling). You can gather as many as you want, though, including from locations in Porto. Personally, I always enjoy getting that first stamp of a Camino – it feels like it signifies your Camino has officially begun! :)

Derek Booth

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances March 2019
When you arrive at Santiago and presumably go to 'The Office' to receive your Cerfiticates, (sic) the administrator will ask you where you started your walk. I think the clue is in the question. Based on your original question, I started mine in Bilbao before catching the bus to Pamplona where I started to walk.
However, I answered the question and filled out my Passport with the town, "Pamplona"

moxy

May your search through nature lead to yourself.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2016), Camino Primitivo (2018), Camino Português (2019)
If starting in Porto, can the first one be from the Cathedral?

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
We got our first stamps at Porto Cathedral then walked to Matosinhos.
Just remembered that our credencials were issued at the cathedral in Lisbon and bore that stamp. Our Compostela certificates and certificates of distance all state Porto as our departure point.

Portia1

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, (Frances 2019)
We got ours at the Cathedral but be mindful of their open times. Our first visit it was closed. Had to return that evening.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I get my first credencial stamp from where I am starting walking, generally. I am sure there will be some place in Barcelos that can give you a stamp.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
I would always suggest getting a first stamp at one's own home Catholic Parish Church.

Otherwise on the Camino, anywhere that's most convenient and easy from where you have decided to start walking.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
I get my first credencial stamp from where I am starting walking, generally. I am sure there will be some place in Barcelos that can give you a stamp.
In Barcelos are two albergues where you can obtain your stamp-in Portuguese carimbo. Further at any place ,restaurants,bars,railwaystation etc.etc.
the best stamp we got in Barcelos was on the castle ruine. Go there and find a man who is looking after and he has a place where he keeps the stamp.Ask around for him . It is one of the best stamps in my credentials.
Bom caminho

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%