• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino First pilgrims

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
I saw today the first two groups of pilgrims crossing my hometown. One group of two and one of four.

I asked them how many pilgrims were on the way and how about the albergues. They told me that there were between 4 and 6 pilgrims in the albergue and that most of the albergues were open.

Not bad taking into consideration that my hometown is in the middle of the Camino del Norte. I assume that at the beginning of the camino should be more pilgrims and for sure even more in the CF. Also considering the different albergues, 4/6 per albergue, you can assume around 20 pilgrims walking this stage today.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good to know what the current situation on the Camino Norte is like, and grateful for letting us know about it.
It sounds good news and seems as if it’s somewhat getting back to normal. Let’s be positive and hope there’s no setback waiting for us just round the corner.
Pleased if you keep us posted in the forthcoming days Lirsy, just to know what the trend is.

Today I spoke to another pilgrim, a French lady.

She told me that she met about 10 pilgrims at each albergue. 90% European 10% other continents. 50-60% Spanish, 40-50% other countries.

Regarding the pilgrim dinner, she told me that most of the albergues that normally organize a pilgrim dinner and that have a room large enough to maintain a certain social distance continue to do so ... let's say that about 70% of the albergues that were organizing these dinners still do so.

Now regarding the wearing of masks: She told me that most pilgrims wear the mask when they cross towns, and take it off when they leave the town:). I was also told that a small number of pilgrims consider the Camino as a sports activity and do not wear the mask at any time:(.

Probably, in a strict reading of the regulations, the Camino could be considered as a sports activity and you are not obliged to wear a mask ... anyway, I would strongly suggest wearing the mask every time you cross a town ... You will protect your health, the health of the local people and the health of the other pilgrims you will meet along the Camino. IMHO covid is not a legal problem but a health problem and a little common sense is more important than the wording of the regulations.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can report from Llanes today. Walked Llanes - Pendueles (so in reverse) and met about 20 to 30 pilgrims on the way. Walkers, bikers, and also one big group of 10. I spoke to one German peregrina. She said that most of the pilgrims are Spanish, but that she has already met several other foreigners (and also made new friends).

She was going to skip this part of Asturias and move on to Gijón. Because her feet needed a rest but also because it was so hard to find affordable accomodation. A common problem for pilgrims in Asturias in July/August.

I can report from Llanes today. Walked Llanes - Pendueles (so in reverse) and met about 20 to 30 pilgrims on the way. Walkers, bikers, and also one big group of 10. I spoke to one German peregrina. She said that most of the pilgrims are Spanish, but that she has already met several other foreigners (and also made new friends).

She was going to skip this part of Asturias and move on to Gijón. Because her feet needed a rest but also because it was so hard to find affordable accomodation. A common problem for pilgrims in Asturias in July/August.
Hope you are feeling well Luka and hoped you enjoyed your walk ! Thanks for the updates😃

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back