Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

(First Post) Has anyone done the Arles-CF route and the SJPP-CF that can compare them?

Discussion in 'The Arles route' started by flippinkittin, Apr 16, 2017.

1. flippinkittin

flippinkittin New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino francés, verano 2017
    Hi!
    I will be doing my first camino this summer. I am trying to decide if I want to start in Oloron or Saint Jean Pied de port. As I understand from the topo map, the France portion is the most climbing that you do on the way. Which route has less elevation change?

Which route did you enjoy most and why?

I speak Spanish, but I do not speak French. Should I plan to start in Spain instead?

Muy amable!
    Buen Camino
    -Kati

2. falcon269

falcon269 sidra; no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    Both cross the Pyrenees, and there is quite an elevation change. There will be fewer pilgrims from Oloron to Puente La Reina. The Camino Aragones is very nice, but hot in the summer. If you want to start in Spain, Pamplona is a good choice.

flippinkittin and Kanga like this.
  3. AJ

AJ Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Malaga(08)Leon(09,11)San Sebastian(09)Vezelay(10)Canterbury-Rome(11)Rome-SdC(12)Winchester-SdC(13)Piedmont,Frances,Portuguese(14)MaryMichael,Norte,Frances(15)Levante,Sanabres,Invierno(16)
    I have walked both and enjoyed both and would agree with Falcon.

There are FAR fewer pilgrims on the Aragones, which some would prefer. I would hesitate to put one over the other because they are different, so it depends on what kind of experience you want to have. Having said that, if you walk the Aragones and continue to SdC from Puente la Reina, you will have a taste of both worlds which may help you decide what you would prefer to do in the future.

Be warned though, when you reach Puente la Reina, it will be a shock!!

flippinkittin likes this.
  4. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Logroño - Compostela 1993 ; Paris - Compostela 1994 ; Monaco - Rome 2000 ; Monaco - Lourdes - Compostela 2005 ; Lourdes - Compostela 2014 ; Cap d'Ail - Monaco - Beausoleil 2016 ; Fatima - Compostela - SJPP - Lourdes 2017
    I'd actually suggest starting in Oloron, but walking from there to SJPP rather than through the Somport.

The Somport way is lonelier and some of the sections up from Oloron to the pass can be psychologically difficult (there's no particular physical difficulty, except perhaps in some of the very last few km up to the pass, particularly if you run low on water) -- though the Aragon Way in Spain, especially from Jaca onwards, is very beautiful.

5. BShea

BShea Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (Sept/Oct 2013) Le Puy to Pamplona, (May/June 2015) Pamplona to SdC, (May/June 2016) Le Puy to Viscarret, (May/June 2017) Aroue to SdC, (Sept 2017) Le Puy to Aire sur l'Ardour
    Here are three elevation maps. The first shows the route Jabbapapa recommended from Oloron through Saint Jean (Voie des Piemonts). The second shows the route from Oloron through to Puente la Reina (Voie d'Arles). The third shows the route through France that is the "most popular" (Voie du Puy) which is nothing compared to the Frances.
    http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/8/la-voie-des-piemonts
    http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/6/la-voie-d-arles
    http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/10/la-voie-du-puy-en-velay

It really depends on what you're looking for... the least elevation change vs. the least amount of other walkers. Because I would like to get a couple of days under my belt before tackling the Pyrenees, I am starting in Aroue, France. It is on the Le Puy route and is easily accessible by public bus out of Bayonne. Click on bus 811.
    http://transports64.fr/horaires-interurbains?lang=fr

On the Voie du Puy, chances are you'll have a slightly easier time being Frenchless. I think they're getting used to more and more non-French speakers. I've heard the Voie d'Arles is pretty isolated.

Bon chemin!

6. frida1

frida1 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
    We are walking the Arles Way, beginning next week. I've done other caminos and understand Arles is much less traveled. Is this what you mean by "psychologically difficult"? Or something else?

7. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    Logroño - Compostela 1993 ; Paris - Compostela 1994 ; Monaco - Rome 2000 ; Monaco - Lourdes - Compostela 2005 ; Lourdes - Compostela 2014 ; Cap d'Ail - Monaco - Beausoleil 2016 ; Fatima - Compostela - SJPP - Lourdes 2017
    No, the Way between Oloron and the Somport is simply tedious as such -- unless you enjoy tarmac in the middle & cliffsides left & right ?

flippinkittin likes this.
  8. frida1

frida1 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014

9. flippinkittin

flippinkittin New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks for all the thoughtful input! Still haven't made my decision, but I'm sure I'll choose one soon ; )

10. AJ

AJ Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Malaga(08)Leon(09,11)San Sebastian(09)Vezelay(10)Canterbury-Rome(11)Rome-SdC(12)Winchester-SdC(13)Piedmont,Frances,Portuguese(14)MaryMichael,Norte,Frances(15)Levante,Sanabres,Invierno(16)
    I do not agree that it is tedious. There is some fine scenery. However, the road is narrow and may be frightening to those averse to bitumen. I have heard bad things about the path above the river but have no first hand knowledge.

11. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    It can be a bit scary in a couple of places, as well as almost impracticably muddy towards the Oloron end.

12. flippinkittin

flippinkittin New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you for these elevation maps! They really helped answer my question-if going from Oloron cut out some of the elevation (it doesn't, the big slope is 300 meters higher)

I think your idea of starting a few days before Saint Jean is a wise one.

13. falcon269

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    But the bus through the tunnel to Canfranc does cut out all the elevation change...

14. flippinkittin

flippinkittin New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Isn't taking a bus cheating?

15. falcon269

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    No. There is no such thing except getting a Compostela without walking the last 100 km to the Cathedral! :)

16. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga-SdC (Nov 2012). SJPP-Sahagun (Oct 2014). SJPP-SdC (Oct 2015). Leon-SdC (Mar 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017)
    Seems to me that if you take the bus and lie about it, that would be a type of cheating whoever you lied to. Otherwise, what are the rules that you would be cheating on?

17. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa "True Pilgrim"

Camino(s) past & future:
    You're definitely cheating yourself if you do.

The stage up to the top of the Somport is FAR easier than SJPP > Roncesvalles.