• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(First Post) Has anyone done the Arles-CF route and the SJPP-CF that can compare them?

flippinkittin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, verano 2017
Hi!
I will be doing my first camino this summer. I am trying to decide if I want to start in Oloron or Saint Jean Pied de port. As I understand from the topo map, the France portion is the most climbing that you do on the way. Which route has less elevation change?

Which route did you enjoy most and why?

I speak Spanish, but I do not speak French. Should I plan to start in Spain instead?

Muy amable!
Buen Camino
-Kati

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Both cross the Pyrenees, and there is quite an elevation change. There will be fewer pilgrims from Oloron to Puente La Reina. The Camino Aragones is very nice, but hot in the summer. If you want to start in Spain, Pamplona is a good choice.

I have walked both and enjoyed both and would agree with Falcon.

There are FAR fewer pilgrims on the Aragones, which some would prefer. I would hesitate to put one over the other because they are different, so it depends on what kind of experience you want to have. Having said that, if you walk the Aragones and continue to SdC from Puente la Reina, you will have a taste of both worlds which may help you decide what you would prefer to do in the future.

Be warned though, when you reach Puente la Reina, it will be a shock!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd actually suggest starting in Oloron, but walking from there to SJPP rather than through the Somport.

The Somport way is lonelier and some of the sections up from Oloron to the pass can be psychologically difficult (there's no particular physical difficulty, except perhaps in some of the very last few km up to the pass, particularly if you run low on water) -- though the Aragon Way in Spain, especially from Jaca onwards, is very beautiful.

Here are three elevation maps. The first shows the route Jabbapapa recommended from Oloron through Saint Jean (Voie des Piemonts). The second shows the route from Oloron through to Puente la Reina (Voie d'Arles). The third shows the route through France that is the "most popular" (Voie du Puy) which is nothing compared to the Frances.
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/8/la-voie-des-piemonts
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/6/la-voie-d-arles
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/10/la-voie-du-puy-en-velay

It really depends on what you're looking for... the least elevation change vs. the least amount of other walkers. Because I would like to get a couple of days under my belt before tackling the Pyrenees, I am starting in Aroue, France. It is on the Le Puy route and is easily accessible by public bus out of Bayonne. Click on bus 811.
http://transports64.fr/horaires-interurbains?lang=fr

On the Voie du Puy, chances are you'll have a slightly easier time being Frenchless. I think they're getting used to more and more non-French speakers. I've heard the Voie d'Arles is pretty isolated.

Bon chemin!

I'd actually suggest starting in Oloron, but walking from there to SJPP rather than through the Somport.

The Somport way is lonelier and some of the sections up from Oloron to the pass can be psychologically difficult (there's no particular physical difficulty, except perhaps in some of the very last few km up to the pass, particularly if you run low on water) -- though the Aragon Way in Spain, especially from Jaca onwards, is very beautiful.
We are walking the Arles Way, beginning next week. I've done other caminos and understand Arles is much less traveled. Is this what you mean by "psychologically difficult"? Or something else?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are walking the Arles Way, beginning next week. I've done other caminos and understand Arles is much less traveled. Is this what you mean by "psychologically difficult"? Or something else?

No, the Way between Oloron and the Somport is simply tedious as such -- unless you enjoy tarmac in the middle & cliffsides left & right ?

No, the Way between Oloron and the Somport is simply tedious as such -- unless you enjoy tarmac in the middle & cliffsides left & right ?
Probably no more tedious than some parts of the Portugues Camino from Lisbon. I think I can handle that.

Thanks for all the thoughtful input! Still haven't made my decision, but I'm sure I'll choose one soon ; )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, the Way between Oloron and the Somport is simply tedious as such

I do not agree that it is tedious. There is some fine scenery. However, the road is narrow and may be frightening to those averse to bitumen. I have heard bad things about the path above the river but have no first hand knowledge.

I have heard bad things about the path above the river but have no first hand knowledge.

It can be a bit scary in a couple of places, as well as almost impracticably muddy towards the Oloron end.

Here are three elevation maps. The first shows the route Jabbapapa recommended from Oloron through Saint Jean (Voie des Piemonts). The second shows the route from Oloron through to Puente la Reina (Voie d'Arles). The third shows the route through France that is the "most popular" (Voie du Puy) which is nothing compared to the Frances.
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/8/la-voie-des-piemonts
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/6/la-voie-d-arles
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/itineraires/10/la-voie-du-puy-en-velay

It really depends on what you're looking for... the least elevation change vs. the least amount of other walkers. Because I would like to get a couple of days under my belt before tackling the Pyrenees, I am starting in Aroue, France. It is on the Le Puy route and is easily accessible by public bus out of Bayonne. Click on bus 811.
http://transports64.fr/horaires-interurbains?lang=fr

On the Voie du Puy, chances are you'll have a slightly easier time being Frenchless. I think they're getting used to more and more non-French speakers. I've heard the Voie d'Arles is pretty isolated.

Bon chemin!

Thank you for these elevation maps! They really helped answer my question-if going from Oloron cut out some of the elevation (it doesn't, the big slope is 300 meters higher)

I think your idea of starting a few days before Saint Jean is a wise one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back