• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time back on the forum

rickyt

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Sept/Oct 2023 Camino Frances
Hello all,

Today is the first time I have been back in several months. I had been planning to walk for the first time in May of this year. I had made preparations, bought equipment, pretty much everything short of buying plan tickets. Oh, and getting permission from my work to take the time off. I had stockpiled my vacation time to cover and made plans for coverage for when I was to be gone. I then made my case to the chairperson of the board of directors, my boss, to take the time off. She was at first very supportive and even sounded excited about it but said she wanted to bounce it off of the rest of the executive committee of the board. Well, a week later she came back to me to let me know that they would only allow me to take two weeks off which then rendered my Camino an impossibility. I then entered into a real funk. I had been planning for over a year and was truly excited and I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me. I returned equipment and what I couldnt return I boxed up and put it in my basement. I stopped reading anything Camino related and I stopped coming to this forum. This occurred in February.
Today is my first day back on the forum. I am not sure why exactly I decided to come back today but, like with the camino itself, I felt drawn. I am still pretty salty about not being able to go and I am trying to come to terms with the reality that the only way I am going to be able to is to find another job and go during the time in between or wait until I retire. Neither of which are very appealing options, but it is what it is I suppose.
Which brings me to the point of this long winded post. Have any of you every gone through something similar? If so, how did you process it? I do not want to spend my time bitter and angry but every time I think about it, that is what happens. So, any of you zen masters out there have any advice for this wannabee pilgrim?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Really, really bad disappointments beyond my control? Yes, I have experienced it. It sucks and nothing makes it better......but, the Camino is not going anywhere and without a doubt you will experience it, so take the energy from the disappointment and channel it into training your body for when you do walk it. You cannot be in too good a physical condition to walk 800 kilometres.

I spent nearly 40 years "not allowed" to take more than 14 days consecutive leave. When they finally retired me I went and walked a camino. That was great for me and much enjoyed, but on that Camino I met so many people spending their 14 days, well sometimes only 10 with travel cost, walking Camino and coming back whenever they could to walk the next bit. I sat in Portomarin one night thinking "why didn't I think of that?".

@rickyt I feel for you. It will never feel great when a significant part of your life, your career (for want of a better) imposes on hearts desire or need. @RJM is right. Santiago isn't going anywhere. The "Camino" changes every day so you haven't missed anything - your Camino will be exactly what it is.

I'm guessing you're from the 'States so you don't have the benefits of European workers rights otherwise you could just tell them its a "religious obligation". Or you might try making a presentation to the Board on how the company will benefit from the experiences and learning you will obtain from 6 weeks in Europe mingling with high-achievers from all over the planet...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rickyt- I also wanted to plan a 4-6 week Camino Frances but was told that I could not take that much time off work by my supervisor, despite having that much vacation time accrued. So I thought I would just wait until I retired in 3 years to do it. But as you know when the bug bites.... So I managed to wrangle 3 weeks off this past May and did the Camino Portugues. Shorter but still amazing. I know many people break up a longer camino into 2-3 week portions due to work commitments. The biggest problem is usually the airfare to get to Spain multiple times. I did take a 3 month trip in Ireland years ago when I moved and changed jobs as I knew it would be the last long break I would ever see until I retired, so that is an option to keep in mind if you do decide to go to another job.

Maybe this is your lesson, your Camino has already begun. A year planning, permission granted then rescinded. Time to test how much you want it. If it where me I'd put together such a compelling presentation to the boss that they would understand the importance and find a way to make it happen for you. It sounds like there already on-side and should only take a determined effort and positive affirmation to get them on-board. Visualise them agreeing to your request and imagine them reconsidering the possibility that they could end up losing their best employee if they don't grant permission. The flip side is that there decision is final then consider walking and returning, walking from Sarria or let it go, follow your flow, camino your way and return to a better job with an employer that understands your requirements. Failing that do what I did, leave, trust in universe to provide, become master of your own destiny and believe in self fulfilling prophecy. What have you got to lose, apart from everything! 🤠

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first camino was a 2-week trip - walking from Astorga to Santiago. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I have never felt that it spoiled later longer caminos. I think a 2-week portion can still be worthwhile - either from Astorga or Leon and ending in Santiago, or starting further away and walking however far you can get. Many people do that.

I look forward to reading about your plans for 2020. Keep in mind that May and September are the busiest months for starting in SJPP, and July-August are busiest for starting in Sarria. I would recommend starting in April - either make reservations as necessary during Easter week (we can help you, based on your route and schedule), or start anywhere right after Easter.

rickyt,

You’re Camino has already started. It began when, for whatever your motivation, you decided you needed to go on your Pilgrimage.

Buen Camino my friend, I look forward to the day you take the first of 1,000,000 steps.

Sorry to hear your problems with leave, pretty amazed it had to go up to the board to decide. Yes you can do it in 2 week chunks, and if you are concerned about employment then you should revise your plans and head off.

People used to say how lucky we were to be able to take 8 weeks off every 2 years to travel. Luck had little to do with it. We prioritied our time together so worked hard, drove old cars and saved our pennies to be able to afford to go. When we first chucked in our jobs and took off for 6 months and I worried I'd never get another job (and that the kids would really go off the rails). What I learnt was firstly that we were OK parents and our young adult kids coped well. Secondly we were not indispensable, work went on without us and while we were offered our old jobs back we both went on to jobs that enabled us to balance life and work better.

Life is short. I've seen a lot of older people who worked all their lives and then took a "trip of a lifetime" and hated it, no fun being carried around Ephesus in a wheelchair. When Scott was diagnosed with terminal cancer he never moaned about not having lived the life he wanted. The maps in his study were covered in lines and notes of trips he'd planned, and the kids had boxes of postcards from exotic places and seen first hand how to live and love life.

So if you are brave, chuck the job, pick up the pack and see where the road takes you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the words of a great poet: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

There's a lot you can do in 14 days. I did the Primitivo this year and it is now my 2nd favorite camino. It can easily be done in 14 days, including travel time. The Aragones is another beautiful camino. It's short (5/6 days) but you could continue on CF when it hits Puenta la Reina. Or just start in SJPdP, get as far as you can and rinse & repeat, next year. Then when you can, do it as a pass-thru. Even though you may have done it in sections in the past, it'll still be a different experience.

So, snap out of it and go walk. Don't let someone dictate how you feel.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, sure. Life does this sometimes because it's not there to satisfy our individual personal desires.

So this is what's happening.
The 'now what?' is up to you.

It sounds like you're emerging from the disappointment and the pity party that can often follow a big unpleasant surprise. So now's the time when you can more easily respond to the situation you find yourself in with creativity. So in your shoes I'd be transmuting my disappointment into planning.

The Camino Francés is not the only game in town nor even the main event. There are dozens of 'complete' caminos ranging in length from four or five days upwards. Two weeks is a good chunk of time, actually, and there are tons of possibilities.

I'd love a month to walk, but have only managed that a few times. Some years I only have days rather than weeks - so I adjust, and do what my schedule allows. It's a blessing, rather than the end of the camino (or the world ;) ).

Another vote for going there and doing a 2-week camino :)
The Portuguese from Porto fits in that time frame, so does the primitivo.
And once you get that amazing satisfaction of completing a camino, start planning the next ones, even if it's one chunk at a time :)

My first camino i was lucky enough to have 3 weeks, so we did a good part of the Frances (bused a few cities). For the second, just 2 weeks, so Portuguese it was. This year, I had only one week of leave... I flew to spain from Australia anyway and we did the Lebaniego (4 days).

Reality may be frustating sometimes. But here in the forum we will all support you in whatever you decide to do :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be ready to make a camino on a few days notice. Quitting your job isn't the only way to get time off for a pilgrimage. I've been through at least a half dozen layoffs giving me time off from work (lucky me). You also need to be ready quickly if you do job seek and get an offer. Either so your new employer doesn't have to wait long or so you can tell your current employer that you have the offer but prefer to stay with them if they can part with you for awhile.

At one job that I had they were only willing to let me go on vacation for a week at a time when I required two. I didn't threaten anything and in the end they decided to let me go for two weeks despite their policy but I was ready to take the two weeks anyway right after telling management that I would be gone for longer than I was approved for and that on my return I would report to HR to work out the next steps we would take. However I was close to retirement anyway (no pension from them) so I wasn't going to suffer any of the consequences that you would if you did the same thing.

Thank you all for your comments and advice; I have missed that while I have been away. Just a few words to add some context to my situation. I am the CEO of a small non-profit social services agency serving individuals with disabilities. And although I am the head of the agency everyone has a boss, including me. This is why my request had to go through the board of directors. And while I have certainly over the years contemplated throwing in the towel and figuring out the next steps as they come, I cannot do that. If it were just me, then maybe, but with a family depending on me it is not a feasible option for me.

I did give some serious thought to taking the two weeks and either doing a part of the CF or possibly walking one of the other routes. In the end I decided that the CF was the route I was drawn to currently. And doing it in two week chunks was not something I desired due to the cost of travel. This is one of those times I wished I lived in Europe so that travel would not be such a big deal.

So, I think my best option at this point is just to do a better job of making my case to the board. Board leadership changes hands as terms end so I plan to just be a little more strategic regarding when I make my request. Hopefully with a better plan presented to a more understanding chairperson, my results will be better. And, if not, as many of you have stated, the Camino is not going anywhere. Someone else mentioned that I was having a pity party and although that initially set me back bit to read those words, it is probably pretty accurate. The level of my disappointment was and continues to be very high. But, hearing from you all have helped me put things back into perspective. Instead of being mad that I have to work and can't get the time off, I need to be thankful that I have a job and a good one at that.

Thank you all; this forum is the best!

Let me echo what others have said - 2 weeks on the Camino are better than 2 weeks at work. If you can't negotiate for all the time you want, maybe you can get an extra week at least? Don't put it off. Walk as much as you can, as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

Buen Camino!

Firstly, Welcome Back to the Forum, Ricky and I can understand your absence having only just returned here myself, only after a few years away.

During my sabbatical though, my life was filled with loss and dying, losing close and dear friends both suddenly and tragically but also supporting some over long goodbyes. I know/knew some exceptional people and here’s the thing, none of them died asking ‘what if?’...

If the Camino truly calls you - GO!! Life is fragile and so much shorter than we think - gone in a New York minute as we’ve commemorated just recently.

I’m so glad that you’ve recognised and are over your pity party. They can rave on a bit from experience.

I think you might need to get creative. You have a very responsible job where you do so much for people who would know more about disappointment than we could appreciate. Not going down the fund raising angle, but could your own Camino be a way of inspiring others?

When we walked our first Camino (have to write that to keep my options open), my husband and I volunteered in a respite program for people with early onset dementia. We used to lead walks around the Adelaide Hills which proved a most enjoyable riot in more ways than one! I wrote daily updates for the group and sent photos of our journey ensuring that I highlighted places that were of particular interest to individuals. Well, when we returned our entire Camino was laid out on the activity room’s walls. Our dear friends refused to go home until the latest bulletin was read to them. They had walked every step of the Way with us! They were buzzing!

Perhaps your disappointment might become an inspiration both for yourself and those you serve. Caminos Walk us in very different Ways and never quite how we would like or expect.

Look forward to following your Journey - wherever it takes you for, as others here have noted, you are already well on your Way.

Buen Camino

Welcome back.

Well, you have something clients of your organization don’t: the ability to walk possibly without disability.

I say walk Sarria to Santiago then onto Fisterra/Muxia.

That will jump start future and longer caminos.

And, thank God you’re the CEO of a company that helps others.

What a blessing.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and advice; I have missed that while I have been away. Just a few words to add some context to my situation. I am the CEO of a small non-profit social services agency serving individuals with disabilities. And although I am the head of the agency everyone has a boss, including me. This is why my request had to go through the board of directors. And while I have certainly over the years contemplated throwing in the towel and figuring out the next steps as they come, I cannot do that. If it were just me, then maybe, but with a family depending on me it is not a feasible option for me.

I did give some serious thought to taking the two weeks and either doing a part of the CF or possibly walking one of the other routes. In the end I decided that the CF was the route I was drawn to currently. And doing it in two week chunks was not something I desired due to the cost of travel. This is one of those times I wished I lived in Europe so that travel would not be such a big deal.

So, I think my best option at this point is just to do a better job of making my case to the board. Board leadership changes hands as terms end so I plan to just be a little more strategic regarding when I make my request. Hopefully with a better plan presented to a more understanding chairperson, my results will be better. And, if not, as many of you have stated, the Camino is not going anywhere. Someone else mentioned that I was having a pity party and although that initially set me back bit to read those words, it is probably pretty accurate. The level of my disappointment was and continues to be very high. But, hearing from you all have helped me put things back into perspective. Instead of being mad that I have to work and can't get the time off, I need to be thankful that I have a job and a good one at that.

Thank you all; this forum is the best!
I totally get the all or nothing. I feel the same way. Simply because the entire Camino frances is talking to me. I’ve waited almost 20 years to be able to do mine which is next spring If you are as determined as you sound you will have your time. In the meantime do all that is in your power to stay healthy and present in your daily life. You WILL absolutely get there. With good health time will be on your side.

Bon courage and good health.
Danielle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
doing it in two week chunks was not something I desired due to the cost of travel.
I understand your preference. However, don't let the "best" be the enemy of the good. I think it is a good idea to re-group and present your proposal again for the full time off. However, if that isn't accepted, please reconsider the 2-week option. The additional cost of coming back again is only the airfare. Maybe having a 2-week experience will give you patience for another year or two until you have time. Better to do the 2 weeks than nothing. You would not regret it!

I understand your preference. However, don't let the "best" be the enemy of the good. I think it is a good idea to re-group and present your proposal again for the full time off. However, if that isn't accepted, please reconsider the 2-week option. The additional cost of coming back again is only the airfare. Maybe having a 2-week experience will give you patience for another year or two until you have time. Better to do the 2 weeks than nothing. You would not regret it!

I agree. My plan of attack for sometime in the future is to present a new proposal for the full time off but if I am again turned down, I will most likely do what I can in the two weeks I am allotted. But, hopefully that contingency plan won't be needed.

I agree. My plan of attack for sometime in the future is to present a new proposal for the full time off but if I am again turned down, I will most likely do what I can in the two weeks I am allotted. But, hopefully that contingency plan won't be needed.
Great! Let the planning resume!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi rickyt -

Welcome back to the Forum - this step alone is getting you closer to your longed-for camino. Take heart from being a part of our global pilgrim community.

A couple of suggestions:

While your camino start date is unknown at this stage, you’ve already set the intention to go on camino, so, if you’ve stopped training, restart that training. You’ll be fitter and stronger and as you walk you will know that you’re getting closer to your camino.

What about hosting for your Board a screening of “I’ll Push You” - the inspirational documentary of two life-long friends - Justin and Patrick - who ‘walked’ the Camino together a few years back? Justin has MND - Patrick pushed him in a specially-made wheelchair from St Jean to Santiago. They were helped by many pilgrims along The Way and not only does this film show the devotion the two friends have for each other it shows the wonderful camino community - selfless and wanting to help. Your Board cannot fail to see how powerful the Camino is and how your non-profit organisation could benefit from the experience you will have - insights - new ideas - and grant you the time you need. You could even perhaps make it into a fundraiser for your organisation and for Justin’s and Patrick’s chosen charity. Google “I’ll Push You the movie” for further information.

Take joy in every step in your training and Buen Camino -

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hi rickyt -

Welcome back to the Forum - this step alone is getting you closer to your longed-for camino. Take heart from being a part of our global pilgrim community.

A couple of suggestions:

While your camino start date is unknown at this stage, you’ve already set the intention to go on camino, so, if you’ve stopped training, restart that training. You’ll be fitter and stronger and as you walk you will know that you’re getting closer to your camino.

What about hosting for your Board a screening of “I’ll Push You” - the inspirational documentary of two life-long friends - Justin and Patrick - who ‘walked’ the Camino together a few years back? Justin has MND - Patrick pushed him in a specially-made wheelchair from St Jean to Santiago. They were helped by many pilgrims along The Way and not only does this film show the devotion the two friends have for each other it shows the wonderful camino community - selfless and wanting to help. Your Board cannot fail to see how powerful the Camino is and how your non-profit organisation could benefit from the experience you will have - insights - new ideas - and grant you the time you need. You could even perhaps make it into a fundraiser for your organisation and for Justin’s and Patrick’s chosen charity. Google “I’ll Push You the movie” for further information.

Take joy in every step in your training and Buen Camino -

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Amazing insight and suggestions Jenny. Spot on and wow!!!

I respect what you say when you write that other caminos are not an option because it is the Camino Frances you are drawn to. Not a surprise, since it is bar far the best known. Chances are, when you first learned about the Camino through books or movies or the account of a friend or acquaintance who walked it, it was the Camino Frances you heard about.

I would suggest taking a closer look at some of the other routes. Read some accounts, watch YouTube videos of people who walk other routes, etc. Things change. Who knows, maybe you will find yourself drawn to one of them, too. Then you won't have to wait until you retire. If not, there are new boards and, as has been said, the Camino has lasted over a thousand years. It will still be there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@rickyt I love the spontaneity of those who say "just go!" but having been in the situation you are in - i.e. commitment to family - I agree with your priorities. Being a pilgrim is not only about the self, it is also about others. You have to find the balance that works for you and those you love. And sometimes that means having to wait. The good thing is that delayed gratification is still gratification!

So I am your cheer squad for you working out your own priorities, and sticking to those. The road is always waiting...

My personal perspective: I walked the CF in 3 stages back in 2012-14. Simply jetted in and out of Madrid, and filled-in the missing stages. It can be done in 30 days, so three consecutive 14-day vacations will work.
I now wish I had done the whole thing in one trip, but it is nothing I fret about. And I met a lot of interesting people during those 3 years.

I love the spontaneity of those who say "just go!" but having been in the situation you are in - i.e. commitment to family - I agree with your priorities
The op never referenced family commitments in original post. I too love the spontaneity but in light of what we now know I agree regarding priorities and top of that list should be oneself, I've been there and left directorship of successful family business which turned out, in hindsight to be toxic and not my purpose. 🤠

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all,

Today is the first time I have been back in several months. I had been planning to walk for the first time in May of this year. I had made preparations, bought equipment, pretty much everything short of buying plan tickets. Oh, and getting permission from my work to take the time off. I had stockpiled my vacation time to cover and made plans for coverage for when I was to be gone. I then made my case to the chairperson of the board of directors, my boss, to take the time off. She was at first very supportive and even sounded excited about it but said she wanted to bounce it off of the rest of the executive committee of the board. Well, a week later she came back to me to let me know that they would only allow me to take two weeks off which then rendered my Camino an impossibility. I then entered into a real funk. I had been planning for over a year and was truly excited and I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me. I returned equipment and what I couldnt return I boxed up and put it in my basement. I stopped reading anything Camino related and I stopped coming to this forum. This occurred in February.
Today is my first day back on the forum. I am not sure why exactly I decided to come back today but, like with the camino itself, I felt drawn. I am still pretty salty about not being able to go and I am trying to come to terms with the reality that the only way I am going to be able to is to find another job and go during the time in between or wait until I retire. Neither of which are very appealing options, but it is what it is I suppose.
Which brings me to the point of this long winded post. Have any of you every gone through something similar? If so, how did you process it? I do not want to spend my time bitter and angry but every time I think about it, that is what happens. So, any of you zen masters out there have any advice for this wannabee pilgrim?
Hi rickyt
Can I encourage you, if you can manage the travel costs, to do what you can when you can. That’s far better than waiting for the perfect time to do it all if that’s unlikely to happen.
A taste of the Camino will inspire you, teach you, nurture you, and get in your blood.
My husband and I planned, prepared and trained long and hard to do the Camino beginning the end of August this year. We planned to do SJPdP to Santiago. We made it to Grañón before we were called home to Australia for a family emergency.
We have wonderful stories and memories and met the most amazing people.
When things are back to normal here we will definitely return, possibly to start at the beginning again in August 2020
I’ve taken so much more from the Camino in 2 weeks than I would have thought possible.
Please don’t let this disappointment defeat you!
xx

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back