• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time caminando

Daniel A Rodriguez

Time of past OR future Camino
Abril/May 2018
Hi everyone,

I would like to get so much information about the Camino Frances. This would be my first time. My mainly concern is how much money would I need to take? How long of a distance should I stop in a albergue? Where do I get my passport/camino and what city do I get stamps? Any advice would diffidently help I would appreciate.

Thanks Daniel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are desiring to do this on a minimalist budget and willing to stay in Municipal Algergue's my best guess would be $30 per day for room, meals, snacks. Walking length is based on your fitness and you will become more fit during the walk - look at the guides for what makes sense for you, passport you can get where you start or from this website (I believe), every place in each city has stamps

If you are desiring to do this on a minimalist budget and willing to stay in Municipal Algergue's my best guess would be $30 per day for room, meals, snacks. Walking length is based on your fitness and you will become more fit during the walk - look at the guides for what makes sense for you, passport you can get where you start or from this website (I believe), every place in each city has stamps[/QU
If you are desiring to do this on a minimalist budget and willing to stay in Municipal Algergue's my best guess would be $30 per day for room, meals, snacks. Walking length is based on your fitness and you will become more fit during the walk - look at the guides for what makes sense for you, passport you can get where you start or from this website (I believe), every place in each city has stamps

Thanks Kent

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Daniel, welcome!
The more time you spend poking around on this forum, the more educated you will become on every "jot and tittle" which should provide all the head knowledge you need before taking your first step on pilgrimage. Once you begin your journey, each day will bring new experiences and the learning continues.:)

P.S. You can order a pilgrim's passport ahead of time through APOC (American Pilgrims on Camino) on their website or in the city you plan to start in at the pilgrim office or cathedral. You can get your passport stamped wherever you spend the night and also at many bars/cafes along the way.

I would like to get so much information about the Camino Frances....
Information about the Camino Frances:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-francés.39/
Especially the Getting Started Guide:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-santiago-–-getting-started-guide.334/
FAQ:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/frequently-asked-questions.16/
Equipment:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/equipment-questions.30/
Trending Forum Topics:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/trending/topics

And here is much information in Spanish (and google translation, if you want):
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/15/camino-frances/

How long of a distance should I stop in a albergue?...
Go the camino in your pace. It is very individual. If you are not sure how to start, start slowly.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your budget also depends on the time of year you plan to walk. During the "season" roughly March through October, you CAN get away with only €30 per day, as most albergues are open.

However, from November through March, many albergues and some hostals are closed for the winter. In this case, you will logically be compelled to spend more on commercially available lodging. In this case, I would suggest a budget of at least €50 per day.

I have walked my five Caminos in the late April through end of May timeframe. I prefer to stay in hostals (B&Bs, or small, family run hotels, or Casa Rurales); I snore and need to get to the toilet several times nightly.

My average daily cost is about €57. Most of that is for lodging in private rooms with an en-suite bathroom. I do not eat large meals and rarely spend a lot on alcohol, if at all. I will stay in albergues, but only if commercial lodging is not available.

I hope this helps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My [mainl] concern is how much money would I need to take?
Not much. You leave most at home in an account that you can draw on with a card at an ATM. Take two cards kept in different places in case one gets lost or kept by the ATM. Check into this - if you have an account at Schwab you will not get charged for ATM fees. You will use mostly cash on the camino so while carrying a credit card is a good idea in case of an emergency you will probably not use it.

[Edit: If you get a new debit card I suggest you use a four digit pin for the time you are traveling and then reset it to a longer pin (if allowed) when you get back. There is a lot of advice out on the web saying that some ATMs do not accept pins longer than four digits and, while there are others saying that the ATMs now will accept six digit pins, why take the chance that you get to a foreign country with no way to get money.]

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The camino is a cash economy so you want to be sure of having a card that will give you money from an ATM when you need it. Having had problems with one of my cards, I now take three - a debit card, a credit card and a travel-money card (preloaded with Euros).

Hi Daniel - I'm doing my first Camino in November and have been studying up and feel pretty ready at this point (as ready as Im going to be) :)
Look below at The Most Liked Resources - there are several downloads to get you started. The one that really helped me at the start is the profile map of 34 stages of the Camino Frances. I still refer to this when Im looking at information on where places are located.
Ive read so much information but what I have found is that I need to "wing it" and not be concerned with if I make it to a destination or not and to know that there is always going to be an alternative.
Im excited and a little nervous about my first Camino but but excitement way outweighs everything and Ill just take it one day at a time.
Ive also found the John Brierley' A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino de Santuago a great help - Im doing Camino Frances and it gives great references for your day to day walk. While I don't feel compelled to stick to his daily schedule, its been invaluable in getting to know what I am getting in to.
This site is just as helpful - Ive had lots of questions and they have been answered here. Its a great community and there is always people willing to offer their expertise from their past experiences on the camino. You'll make great friends along here and perhaps walk with one or two along the route
I wish you a Buen Camino on walking the way.

My mainly concern is how much money would I need to take? How long of a distance should I stop in a albergue? Where do I get my passport/camino and what city do I get stamps?l

Budget: As others have said, it depends on what style you want to travel in and when you go. We went in high season last year and mostly stayed in private albergues, eating either communal meals served at the albergue or pilgrim menus at local restaurants. For that kind of lifestyle, we generally paid about 10 euros a night for the bunk at about 10 euros a day for our supper. Add a bit more for breakfast/lunch. You can do it cheaper by staying at municipal/parochial albergues and making your own dinners. You can do it more expensive by staying in private rooms and ordering a la carte.

How long should you walk each day? Pay attention to your feet. Many people walk 20-30 km each day. We met some who walked much more and a few who walked less. We walked three days of 15 km for our second, third and fourth days as a sort of "on the camino" training and then built up to 25-30 km a day. But that ended up being too hard on my son's feet so we scaled back to 20-25 km a day and were more successful.

If you start at any of the main starting points you can get your passport (credencial) there. Most "Friends of the Camino" associations will also provide them. Expect to get stamps every day, not just in certain cities. You always get one if you stay at albergues (except in Grañon, where they give hugs instead). Many hotels also offer them, if asked. They can also be found at churches and bars. You can even get them from people who set themselves up at the side of the road at little tables or in vans (where we got one outside San Anton). Be sure and get two each day for the last 100 km.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back