• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time camino walker requesting information

Fperez

Time of past OR future Camino
First time camino walker requesting information:
My wife an an I are planning to walk the camino this fall starting on September. Will be flying to Pamplona and from there getting to St Jean De Pied De Port. Need to know how to get from the Pamplona airport to the city and from there how to get to St Jean De Pied De Port from there. We are retired on our 60's and traveling on a budget. Would appreciate advise and information.
Fortunato and Rosemary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fperez,

Welcome to the Forum.

A useful source for all travel links is
www.Rome2Rio.com
Hit the blue type for a link.

Their web shows:
1. many buses from Pamplona airport to the bus station in Pamplona every day.

2. one bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port run by Alsa each day.

Good luck with your plans and
Buen camino to you and your wife.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, Fperez, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum.

Below is a link to a taxi company that transports Pilgrims from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port. On my second Camino, I had planned to use them, but changed my flight from America to land in Paris instead of Madrid.

They will pick you up at the airport.

When you make reservations, you can request to share the taxi. If there are other passengers, it will split the fare and lower the cost of the trip.

Last edited:
I think there are no buses from he airport to the bus station.
From bus station to SJPP you can see timetable here

My wife an an I are planning to walk the camino this fall starting on September. Will be flying to Pamplona and from there getting to St Jean De Pied De Port. Need to know how to get from the Pamplona airport to the city and from there how to get to St Jean De Pied De Port from there. We are retired on our 60's and traveling on a budget. Would appreciate advise and information.
Fortunato and Rosemary
Hi FPerez,

I produce a series of YouTube videos specifically for seniors and first time walkers - like you.

I cover everything from training, to rain gear, things to pack, and i have started a series of videos where i read a day by day account from my diary. I think you would find the videos very helpful.

Feel free to ask any questions happy to help

Here's a link to one video (and where you can find others)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Fperez

Welcome, Fortunato and Rosemary
there are only a very few airlines landing in Pamplona, you're lucky. So why on earth you want to complicate your Camino by first going back to SJPdP? Save your energy, spend a couple of nights in Pamplona and start your Camino from right there.

Buen Camino to both of you.

Fperez,

Welcome to the Forum.

A useful source for all travel links is
www.Rome2Rio.com
Hit the blue type for a link.

Their web shows:
1. many buses from Pamplona airport to the bus station in Pamplona every day.

2. one bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port run by Alsa each day.

Good luck with your plans and
Buen camino to you and your wife.
The Rome2Rio app for your smart phone is also really useful (and free). Strongly recommend it.

Just to reassure those oldies that are thinking of walking the camino. I started in St Jean in the month of May in excellent weather. I was 64 years of age. Starting at 6.30 am, I reached Ronscvalles at 12 30pm, 6 hours later. I went on to reach SdeC in 30 days. I had trained in the hills of Wicklow for some time before the event, which prepared me well. Without walking the hills with a backpack, similar to that which you would carry on the camino, the first day could be a bit of a shock. Whilst I considered myself quite fit for the journey, walkers of similar vintage turned up in the villages that I was staying in each day. We got to know each other quite well, along the way and we celebrated on reaching SdeC. The key to enjoying the walk is to prepare. Climb the hills for a few weeks before you head off. Also walk at your own pace, do not walk at a pace that is quicker than your own, in order to keep up with another walker. Let them off, you will meet again. I did not drink water from local supplies. I carried bottled water all the time. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to reassure those oldies that are thinking of walking the camino. I started in St Jean in the month of May in excellent weather. I was 64 years of age. Starting at 6.30 am, I reached Ronscvalles at 12 30pm, 6 hours later. I went on to reach SdeC in 30 days. I had trained in the hills of Wicklow for some time before the event, which prepared me well. Without walking the hills with a backpack, similar to that which you would carry on the camino, the first day could be a bit of a shock. Whilst I considered myself quite fit for the journey, walkers of similar vintage turned up in the villages that I was staying in each day. We got to know each other quite well, along the way and we celebrated on reaching SdeC. The key to enjoying the walk is to prepare. Climb the hills for a few weeks before you head off. Also walk at your own pace, do not walk at a pace that is quicker than your own, in order to keep up with another walker. Let them off, you will meet again. I did not drink water from local supplies. I carried bottled water all the time. Buen Camino
I was also 64 when I walked my first Camino last year. I split the first stage by stopping at Orisson. I wanted the challenge of walking over the Pyrenees in one day but decided to play on the side of caution and pleased that I did. I took 32 days to complete the Francés and did suffer from tendinitis for the final 8 days. It was, however, one of the most amazing things I have ever done and has left me looking forward to me second in October. Buen Camino

There once was an hourly bus (Line A) that ran between the train station, bus station and airport and also in reverse. Apparently there wasn't enough traffic to/from the airport so the Pamplona street bus people set up something to reserve a taxi at bus fare rates. You may have to beg to have it stop at the bus station instead of the new destination though. The difference between the bus rate and the taxi rate is minimal to someone who pays to fly. Take a taxi if available.

Though no bus stops at the airport now Line 16 passes by. You could walk from the terminal to the main road and continue either to the left or right to a bus stop (right is my choice). That bus will have a stop at the bus station. Take a taxi if available.

The Pamplona bus website is one of the best sites I've ever worked with but it is only in Spanish and Euskadi (Basque). Use Chrome for automatic translation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fortunato and Rosemary
The bus station in Pamplona is below street level with no obvious markings. Look for building on sidewalk with an escalator going down. I wandered above it for sometime and gps never said go down.

Check the ALSA bus schedule at alsa.com -- there is also an ALSA app for phones. So far as I know, there's only one bus per day from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port and that's in the early afternoon. I chose a future day (August 18th) and found a 14:30 bus. Typically you can only search for schedules ~90 days in advance so I could not search for September -- also you should check if the bus schedule is the same for weekends. FYI -- There are several direct trains from Madrid to Pamplona but the earlier trains are the only ones that can connect to the bus. Someone else above mentioned that the bus station can be confusing to locate as signage is minimal. We have walked from the train station to the bus station. I used rome2rio to check for transfers from airport to the bus station. It's about 15 minutes by bus. Taxi is perhaps 15 euros.

Check the ALSA bus schedule at alsa.com -- there is also an ALSA app for phones.
Don't write St, or SJPdP will not be found. Spell the word out as Saint, although when I tried it I could see SJPdP listed as an option after just typing the first three letters, sai.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back