• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Camino Walker.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first thing you can do is by a guide about the Camino. Try to reed as much as possible. And than wich backpack, shoes etc. to use. I wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pack your bag with everything you think you will take. Then walk with it for 15 miles. Then take a load of stuff out!!

My biggest mistake was not doing long hikes in my boots multiple days in a row - compounded by my mistake to not bring any antiseptic (thank goodness the camino provides). My heels were nasty - like infected, destroyed nasty... still were eaten by my boots in Finisterre six weeks later so no breaking them in would have done it. On the other hand, I did bring my summer hiking sandals (Chaco) so while my feet were recovering I still had great hiking shoes. So - wear those babies for a few days because day hikes in the Rockies were enough for me to know that my boots didn't work.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Something a bit different....have chocolate each day and an extra orange to share.

One never knows when the opportunity may arise to lift another's spirit no matter how simply. Words are rarely needed. Both translate well.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Mid April means you will be missing Easter, April 5, on the Camino, a special experience but decidedly cool this year since Semana Santa comes early next year. The weather has been a'changing but you should enjoy cool mornings and evenings, mid-day temperatures very comfortable for walking. Expect anything, anything at all from beautiful sunny days to magnificent cloud formations over the mountains on the horizon, to mist and rain, to deluge, to snow, and blizzards. It's a great time to walk but the weather is hard to predict anymore. More importantly, you will follow the Spring across Spain. starting in Navarre the vineyards will be only dried looking sticks, as you progress those sticks sprout leaves and the roses planted at the head of each row to attract the bees will blossom and bloom, the first wild-flowers will appear so prepare yourself for a delight of wild cyclamens and crocuses (croci?), wild lilies and gladiolas, bee orchids and others of the wild orchid family, hillsides of blue lobelia, yellow broom, and secretive primroses (the primavera is a protected plant!), and finally poppies. The towns and villages will be blooming with pansies, lilies, iris, roses, and my favorite wisteria.The strange knobby looking things in gardens are all that remain of berza, that is collard greens, which are needed for the lifesaving caldo Galego, a so-called vegetable soup with the greens and despite the name, chunks of meat. Weather allowing, it should be glorious. Look for first wines now coming out of the barrels and through Navarra and into La Rioja watch for farmers off to the side of the Camino collecting snails-those which have walked on asphalt or stone considered inedible, you may find them in your salad or your soup – if you think this is a good thing yum yum if not you have been warned! Buen Camino

@scruff1 what a delightful post! Yes, @kevhan84 it is a lovely time to walk. I had some days with cold rain on my early spring Camino on the Frances, but truly the flowers were spectacular.

My best bits of kit for an early spring camino are ski gloves and a pashmina (silk/wool scarf). Plus the usual stuff (see gear lists).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
remember to begin walking and hiking, get yourself reasonably fit , get the shoes run in, and pack light - buen camino

My biggest mistake was not doing long hikes in my boots multiple days in a row - compounded by my mistake to not bring any antiseptic (thank goodness the camino provides). My heels were nasty - like infected, destroyed nasty... still were eaten by my boots in Finisterre six weeks later so no breaking them in would have done it. On the other hand, I did bring my summer hiking sandals (Chaco) so while my feet were recovering I still had great hiking shoes. So - wear those babies for a few days because day hikes in the Rockies were enough for me to know that my boots didn't work.

I have started too break in my boots,, I will check out a good pair of sandals as well, Thanks for the tips ;-)

Mid April means you will be missing Easter, April 5, on the Camino, a special experience but decidedly cool this year since Semana Santa comes early next year. The weather has been a'changing but you should enjoy cool mornings and evenings, mid-day temperatures very comfortable for walking. Expect anything, anything at all from beautiful sunny days to magnificent cloud formations over the mountains on the horizon, to mist and rain, to deluge, to snow, and blizzards. It's a great time to walk but the weather is hard to predict anymore. More importantly, you will follow the Spring across Spain. starting in Navarre the vineyards will be only dried looking sticks, as you progress those sticks sprout leaves and the roses planted at the head of each row to attract the bees will blossom and bloom, the first wild-flowers will appear so prepare yourself for a delight of wild cyclamens and crocuses (croci?), wild lilies and gladiolas, bee orchids and others of the wild orchid family, hillsides of blue lobelia, yellow broom, and secretive primroses (the primavera is a protected plant!), and finally poppies. The towns and villages will be blooming with pansies, lilies, iris, roses, and my favorite wisteria.The strange knobby looking things in gardens are all that remain of berza, that is collard greens, which are needed for the lifesaving caldo Galego, a so-called vegetable soup with the greens and despite the name, chunks of meat. Weather allowing, it should be glorious. Look for first wines now coming out of the barrels and through Navarra and into La Rioja watch for farmers off to the side of the Camino collecting snails-those which have walked on asphalt or stone considered inedible, you may find them in your salad or your soup – if you think this is a good thing yum yum if not you have been warned! Buen Camino

You make it sound like it will be an very enjoyable experience, I am looking forward to it, thanks ;-)

@scruff1 what a delightful post! Yes, @kevhan84 it is a lovely time to walk. I had some days with cold rain on my early spring Camino on the Frances, but truly the flowers were spectacular.

My best bits of kit for an early spring camino are ski gloves and a pashmina (silk/wool scarf). Plus the usual stuff (see gear lists).

I had'nt thought about a good pair of gloves,, thanks ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Fabulous post! Your description of the flora makes it sound breathtaking. I'm walking end of March through end of April so I am especially looking forward to the trees and wild flowers as my walk progresses (I realise end of March will probably be a bit soon for any flora).

Regarding boots - I would also recommend getting really good insoles. We did a lot of hiking in our boots before our Camino, but were not prepared for the toll that road walking takes on the feet while wearing hiking boots. Most of our mountain trails around here are fairly soft, so I didn't notice that my insoles were kind of hard. We trained a lot on roads too, but I wore my tennis shoes, which had plenty of cushion. It seems obvious in hindsight, but I never thought about it until I had achey feet on the Camino. I bought soft insoles along the way and it was fine, but it would have been nicer to have them from the beginning :).

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back