• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino

Pat Boduch

Time of past OR future Camino
I have never walked a camino before but I'm looking to start my first one May 2014.
Hi everybody!

I've been doing a lot of reading on all of your experiences on this forum and on other places on the web. I am eager to begin my first camino but am trying to decide between Camino del Norte and the Camino Frances. It sounds from what I've read that the Frances has more support for walkers but is much more crowded, and the Norte has less support, is more rigorous, but is more scenic.

A little background on me, I am a twenty year old male college student who will be walking solo. I have no serious mountaineering, hiking, or long-distance walking experience. I'm in pretty good shape though, ran a marathon last October. I'm looking to do my camino in May and will have about 18 walking days available to me.

Some important things for me in trying to decide...I love nature and it seems like the Norte has the best, most beautiful scenery. I'm not so keen on the big crowds of the Frances, I would like the opportunity to walk in solitude sometimes, but also would love to develop some close friendships with other pilgrims along the way. I'm also a bit concerned about this being my first camino and I'm thinking that the Frances would be best for someone who doesn't really know what he's doing.

Any advice any one could give would be much, much appreciated. Thank you!

-Pat

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everybody!

-Pat

Hi Pat,
Considering your age and shape and aversion to crowds, I'd say go for the Norte!
I've only walked from Bilbao to Santander, and hope to finish the Norte some day.
That said, it was beautiful and we saw very few pilgrims along the Way.
It's well supported, though the stages are longer.
Maybe someone who has walked the entire route will chime in!
Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

Hi everybody!

I've been doing a lot of reading on all of your experiences on this forum and on other places on the web. I am eager to begin my first camino but am trying to decide between Camino del Norte and the Camino Frances. It sounds from what I've read that the Frances has more support for walkers but is much more crowded, and the Norte has less support, is more rigorous, but is more scenic.

A little background on me, I am a twenty year old male college student who will be walking solo. I have no serious mountaineering, hiking, or long-distance walking experience. I'm in pretty good shape though, ran a marathon last October. I'm looking to do my camino in May and will have about 18 walking days available to me.

Some important things for me in trying to decide...I love nature and it seems like the Norte has the best, most beautiful scenery. I'm not so keen on the big crowds of the Frances, I would like the opportunity to walk in solitude sometimes, but also would love to develop some close friendships with other pilgrims along the way. I'm also a bit concerned about this being my first camino and I'm thinking that the Frances would be best for someone who doesn't really know what he's doing.

-Pat

Hi Pat
The wife and I are attempting part of this route starting September. This is also our 1st Camino and we had much of the same thoughts as you. We are starting from Irun and will probably branch out on the Primitivo. I will be watching this thread to hear what others have to say

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Norte as my first camino in May/ June last year and had a fantastic time. I was none too fit (age 53) but coped with the walking ok, I too wondered about the Frances or the Norte, but opted for the Norte on the basis of nice beaches and less people, and it was definitely the right decision for me. I made some great friends, some of whom we walked together lots, others who I met up with from time to time at the alberges at the end of each days walking. (One of whom I fell totally in love with and who now lives with me). Don't worry about not knowing what you are doing, I was totally clueless, but all you have to do is follow the yellow arrows and the camino will unfold in front of you. I've said it elsewhere on the forum that I would recommend the Norte every time, and I continue to do so. Its a lovely route, just be open to whatever comes along and you'll have a ball. Feel free to contact me if you need any info or specific details.

Hy everyone

I walked 2 days on the camino del norte in autumn 2012 just for fun.

The scenery was so awesome, so that im thinking about walking again this April....
(i've got ~3 weeks time to do it)

Buen camino!

I meet a young Portugese "boy" of 20 on the first day of my Camino Norte and we walked together (small group, eventually 5) almost all the way. he really enjoyed our company (2 older Irish ladies) and we enjoyed his. I would say go for the Norte, talk to everyone, make friends, our others were a Japanese man of over 70 and a young Austrian, it was amazing the experiences we shared until our parting in Santiago. The Norte has many fine albergues and opportunity for sharing cooking/eating meals. Enjoy your planning. Carlos had no maps, no plan, except follow the arrows.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Pat,

Very nice to read you are about to embark on a great journey no matter which path you choose. I like both routes for nearly the same reasons you list above. The CF in '05 and '12, and the CN in '10 with a return soon combined with the Camino Primitivo. If you are more keen to do the CN, go for it and see if it is to your liking. If not, there is no reason why not to catch a quick bus to get you along the CF to continue your Way (or the other way around). On my first walk, I met a girl (who walked the entire Way in flip-flop sandals during summer) who loved to draw. She had only a small pack with sketch pad and colors with her other items. She started on the CF, bussed to the CN for a few days for more scenic drawings and walking, and then came back down to the CF to continue to SdC. Not the most appealing way to do it for most. The point is, you could start on one and still have options. This is the best about the Camino. It is is however you want it to be. I have no doubt you will also create a Camino family no matter which path. One of the blessings the Way brings.

You will only do part of the Way with 18 days, correct?

Cheers,
Simeon

Hello Pat,

With only 18 days and assuming you want to reach Santiago I would suggest starting in Llanes, walking to Oviedo then taking the Primitivo.
Best of both worlds.

Cheers

Andy

Hey everybody,

Thanks so much for the excellent advice, it's outstanding and wonderful to have this community to answer the questions I can't answer myself. Thank you.

I'm pretty sold on the Norte at this point, I have a few more questions (which will undoubtedly reveal how unknowledgeable/unprepared I am for this) that I was hoping to find the answers to.

1.) Staggerlee, you mentioned it might be best to start in Llanes and walk to Oviedo and then take the Primitivo. Is it too ambitious to start in Santander and follow the Norte all the way to Santiago? Is that doable? I know it's about 500 kilometers in 18 days which approx 28km per day - too much? Would that be rushing it?

2.) Once I finish in Santiago, what would be the best way to get home (in my case, Rome). I'm thinking I'll fly into Madrid and bus to the starting point (Santander, Llanes, wherever). But should I also book a return ticket back from Madrid to Rome? Or is there a closer place to fly out of? And I assume there are buses from Santiago?

3.) I assume that it's absolutely essential to get a good pair of walking/hiking boots, is that correct? Are there any other essential items I need to get, such as rainjacket or sleeping bag? I only have about a month to prepare and want to pack as light as possible.

Thank you all!

-Pat

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Pat,

If you do a search you will find enough lists to fill a lorry with many references to Camino del Norte. So much advice but be aware these are personal preferences. The options are many even in terms of boots or trainers.

Hey everybody,

Thanks so much for the excellent advice, it's outstanding and wonderful to have this community to answer the questions I can't answer myself. Thank you.

I'm pretty sold on the Norte at this point, I have a few more questions (which will undoubtedly reveal how unknowledgeable/unprepared I am for this) that I was hoping to find the answers to.

1.) Staggerlee, you mentioned it might be best to start in Llanes and walk to Oviedo and then take the Primitivo. Is it too ambitious to start in Santander and follow the Norte all the way to Santiago? Is that doable? I know it's about 500 kilometers in 18 days which approx 28km per day - too much? Would that be rushing it?

3.) I assume that it's absolutely essential to get a good pair of walking/hiking boots, is that correct? Are there any other essential items I need to get, such as rainjacket or sleeping bag? I only have about a month to prepare and want to pack as light as possible.

Thank you all!

-Pat

Hi Pat,

I can't give route specific information because I've never walked the Norte (it's on my bucket list) but can venture some general advice.

I find it better not to be in race mode on any Camino. There are many reasons, regardless of fitness levels. One of the gifts of the Camino is to unhitch us from the pressures and stress of modern life, and that includes timetables. Without a timetable the Camino will give the gift of living fully in the moment.

If you are committed to walking 28 km a day you are making a prison for yourself. You will be constantly aware of the time constraints and thinking about how to juggle things to stay on track.

It's been said over and over again, but the Camino is a journey, not a destination. You may meet a bunch of people you really like and they may be on a slow trip. You may arrive somewhere and find there is a festival the following day and want to stay. You may have a few blisters and need an extra day sitting in a plaza drinking cerveza and watching the world go by. You may just simply find it a whole lot more enjoyable to slow down and look around you.

Other people on thus forum will let you know the transport options between Santiago and Rome.

Essential items? There are lists galore on this forum, but the essentials are: Comfortable shoes (I wear lightweight runners). 2 pairs of underpants, 3 pairs of socks. One set of walking clothes, one set of clothes to wear while you wash your walking clothes. Something to keep you warm, something to keep you dry. A sleeping sheet. A pack to carry everything.

What you don't have you can always buy on route if you need it.

Pat,

I agree with Kanga. 18 days from Santander doesn't allow you any downtime to relax and enjoy all that scenery.
I suggested the Primitivo because the scenery on the Norte kind of "runs out" between Gijon and Ribadeo (relatively speaking).
Footwear is a personal thing but I recommend (lightweight) boots. The Norte was very muddy last May. You are bound to need a rain jacket at some point, probably Galicia. Outside of July and August, I would always take a lightweight sleeping bag.
There are at least a couple of fast trains a day from Santiago to Madrid.

Cheers.

Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks a lot guys, I agree with what you guys have said and think it might be best to start off the Camino in Irun and just walk as far as I can in the 18 days. This will give me a good chance to relax without a set time table. It means that I won't reach Santiago, but I'm okay with that, I just want a nice walk!

Hi Pat, starting in Irun and walking for 18 days will give you a much more pleasant walk, than starting in Santander and having to hammer along to reach Santiago in time. The first part of the Norte is a great walk and you will be able to suit your own time and speed. I would be very surprised if having walked the first part, you didn't make it back sometime to walk the rest of the way to Santiago.

Okay, I'm planning on flying into Barcelona on Friday, May 2nd. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get to Irun from Barcelona?

THANKS!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pat,

See this handy Rome2Rio web site for travel possibilities from Barcelona to Irun by train, bus and air. Once the site loads click each bubble for further info.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Okay, I'm planning on flying into Barcelona on Friday, May 2nd. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get to Irun from Barcelona?

THANKS!

Hi Pat
I booked online with raileurope Australia and leave Barcelona Sants at 0730 for Irun on 19th May,gets in at 1328
So easy I just printed off our tickets . Cost 25.85 Euros each +2.35 tax
Hope this helps?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into how to get back to Barcelona after the Camino for a Friday, May 23 departure. I have 19 walking days, starting in Irun and seeing how far I can go. I've been looking at maps and distances and it looks like Oviedo would be a good goal for an ending point. Google maps tells me Irun to Oviedo is about 415 km, which works out for 19 days, at approx. 22 km per day. Is this the correct walking distance from Irun to Oviedo? And does this seem like a reasonable time/distance goal without rushing it?

I plan on buying a bus ticket ahead of time from Oviedo back to Barcelona on Thursday, May 22. If for some reason, I fall a bit short of Oviedo, but still need to catch my bus, can I take public transport to Oviedo the last bit of the way?

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

-Pat

Hi pat! Im 22, not fit at all, and 5 days into my first camino on the Norte. Do the Norte. Spectacular doesn't even begin to describe the energy the north coast has to offer here!

Hi Eli marie,
If you think that you are not fit spare a thought for the elderly out of shapes...................

I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising.
I decided to take an aerobics class for seniors.
I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour.

But, by the time I got my leotards on, the class was over.........................sais la vie.

Hi Eli marie,
If you think that you are not fit spare a thought for the elderly out of shapes...................

I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising.
I decided to take an aerobics class for seniors.
I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour.

But, by the time I got my leotards on, the class was over.........................sais la vie.

Hahahahahahahaha !!!! Too funny !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everybody!

-Pat

Pat I am unable to take the time to reas evryones recommendation right now, but will....
I am Norting it as I type and stopped for lunch.
I will be updating my comments before whenI thought everyone should experience the Frances ....I actually think for a great population of people, and you sound like you might be one of them that the Norte is your walk.
If you love nature this can not be beatin on the Frances, if you want to walk aline for the most part you can have that....in some ways I think I have more support on the Norte. On the Frances there is the great infrastructure of support that might not be present here but if I take a wrong turn or even go to question something or take a sigh of needing water some local comes to my aid!!!!!!
I have been offered cold water for the road, a seat on a patio, candy, a two liter coke bottle filled with cold water and today a man gave us a bottle of the traditional cider drink of the region that he makes....
Hope to read evryones recommendation this eveningbut had the quick amount of time to respond!!!!
Both are excellent, you can not go wrong!!!!

Pat:

It depends what type of terrain you are looking for from your walk. I am currently walking the Norte. I just finished day 23. I think this route is more difficult than the Frances day in and day out. There are no huge climbs like day 1 out of SJPdP. There is also no Meseta. If this is your first walk and you are uncomfortable, I would suggest the Frances. The Norte has much more road walking than the Frances. That said, it has many wonderful ocean views you do not get on the Frances. They both have their pluses and minuses.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into how to get back to Barcelona after the Camino for a Friday, May 23 departure. I have 19 walking days, starting in Irun and seeing how far I can go. I've been looking at maps and distances and it looks like Oviedo would be a good goal for an ending point. Google maps tells me Irun to Oviedo is about 415 km, which works out for 19 days, at approx. 22 km per day. Is this the correct walking distance from Irun to Oviedo? And does this seem like a reasonable time/distance goal without rushing it?

I plan on buying a bus ticket ahead of time from Oviedo back to Barcelona on Thursday, May 22. If for some reason, I fall a bit short of Oviedo, but still need to catch my bus, can I take public transport to Oviedo the last bit of the way?

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

-Pat

Pat:

Nineteen days is pushing it a bit, imo, to Oviedo. It allows no time for rest due to unplanned injury. That said, it could be done. If you fall behind you should be able to get a bus to Oviedo from most places. Oviedo to Leon by bus or train and then a long train ride to Barcelona.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.