• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino!

SarahP

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2017
Hi all
Looking at doing my first ever Camino next year and think I would like to start with this one as I just want to see the sea as well. So I suppose I have a couple of questions if ok....
1) Is it generally safe for a single female to walk?
2) Can I get away with just finding accommodation ad hoc or would I need to book anything on this stretch
3) Should 2 weeks be sufficient for this part?
4) Looking at going mid to end April. Anyone been this time of year and thoughts on weather?
5) Any resources that are recommended?
6) Finally (for now!) any particular points of interest along this route that are recommended?

Thanks
Sarah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You should be able to do the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in 2 weeks, if that is the question.
The rest of your questions will be answered in full if you go the resources pages for each of the questions.

1. Yes if you stick to the yellow arrows 2.Yes you can find ad-hoc, it's not busy in April 3. It's about 240 km so is doable in 2 weeks, most pilgrims can walk at least 20km a day. 4.Yes not a bad time to go, not too warm or too cold, may get some rain though but generally pleasant as drier in south. 5.Luis Freixo's Blog - see below 6. Lots of interest - see Blog

I would take a Smartphone and download Luis Freixo's PDF maps of each stage so you can consult offline see http://www.caminador.es/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And so is Johnnie Walkers guide written in cooperation with Laurie Reynold (aka peregrina2000 here on the forum) and the experience of many pilgrims.for a donation you can download the guide here on the forum.

Hi all
Looking at doing my first ever Camino next year and think I would like to start with this one as I just want to see the sea as well. So I suppose I have a couple of questions if ok....
2) Can I get away with just finding accommodation ad hoc or would I need to book anything on this stretch
4) Looking at going mid to end April. Anyone been this time of year and thoughts on weather?
6) Finally (for now!) any particular points of interest along this route that are recommended?

Thanks
Sarah
1. yes
2. april no problem regarding accommodation
3. depends on your stages, but it should be
4. expect mild temperatures (not warm) and rain
5. this forum has several
6. lots and lots, however, do not expect to experience the 'french camino'; this one's different

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi:

I walked the Portuguese Coastal Way in July, starting at Matosinhos. To address your question #3 - Should two weeks be sufficient? - it took me 13 days of walking to get to SdC, and that was with a couple of short days. So you should be fine with two weeks. The weather was superb, but that was July, not April.

Definitely stay a couple of days in Porto. It is a great city to explore. If you have an extra day, I would suggest starting in central Porto (as opposed to taking the subway to Matsinhos), walking down to the river, along the river to the coast, and up the coast from there. It probably adds an extra day to your walk, but it is pretty nice.

Buen Camino!

Hi all

Thanks
Sarah

Hello Sarah
I walked solo from Lisbon in mid-May this year. I felt very safe although it was very quiet during the day. I enjoyed the solitude and then the catch-up with other walkers at night. I didn't book except for a couple of youth hostels ( because I thought it may be busy on the coast). They are a good option, have pilgrim rates and you don't need to be a member to stay.

Here is link to a few of my blog posts about the nuts and bolts of this walk, plus some of highlights.
https://melsonebigadventure.wordpress.com/category/two-feet-walking/camino-portuguese-2016/

Bom caminho, Mel

Or walk to Mastosinhos as your Porto exploration time. It gives you beautiful views of the city, plus a walk through the port warehouses, though a bit tourisy, but ideal if you want to sample a few different ones and learn about it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April 9th to 16th is Holy Week. The Portuguese aren't quite as mad about processions and celebrations as people in the North of Spain, but you'll still see plenty of celebrations - and churches that usually aren't open will have a much larger chance of being open at that time.

Portugal in spring can be very wet, but absolutely worth it. (We SWAM our Easter Camino Portuguese, but that was an unusually wet year, the locals told us.)

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back