Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time for the Camino Primitivo October 7, 2021!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck on your walk. I would also recommend Albergue de peregrinos de Bodenayo. I stayed there in 2018. Great hosts, food and atmosphere. A big climb leading up to it, but you will have it behind you for the next day. Hopefully you can do the Hospitales route from Campiello to Berducedo, if the weather is good. The scenery is spectacular. But, make sure to bring enough water and food. No cafe's up there.

And don’t forget the wonderful Albergue run by Javi in Samblismo. It is right at the spot where the Hospitales option splits from the Pola de Allande option. Another home cooked vegetarian dinner and the best bread (also made by Javi) I’ve had on the camino.

And on the topic of Hospitales — I’m not sure why the myth persists that the Hospitales route is the more difficult because it’s absolutely not. You have a steep descent of 400 m just to get to Pola de Allande from Borres which adds 400 m to the ascent up to the Puerto de Palo where the two options meet. The ascent on Hospitales is also much more gradual. Hospitales has you along a ridge line for a long time so it’d be dangerous in thunder and lightening so pay attention to the weather reports.

Beautiful route, hope you enjoy it!

Good luck on your walk. I would also recommend Albergue de peregrinos de Bodenayo. I stayed there in 2018. Great hosts, food and atmosphere. A big climb leading up to it, but you will have it behind you for the next day. Hopefully you can do the Hospitales route from Campiello to Berducedo, if the weather is good. The scenery is spectacular. But, make sure to bring enough water and food. No cafe's up there.

Thanks for the tip. Is that route well marked?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And on the topic of Hospitales — I’m not sure why the myth persists that the Hospitales route is the more difficult because it’s absolutely not.
My guess is bc it has no cafes, bars, water fountains or options for stopping. I assume guides say don’t walk solo bc (when I walked a LONG time ago) I didn’t get cell coverage the entire way but I walked alone without issue.

Extremely well marked. In fact it’s so well marked that even in dense fog, i think that if there were two of you, one could stay at a marking while the other went ahead to find the next one and you could follow by audibles all the way across the ridge. But I would have GPS tracks on my phone if I were you.
It was the best marked stage I’ve found not just on the Primitivo but everywhere I walked. Whoever marked that did a phenomenal job. For people reading who haven’t walked yet the markers are sawed poles marked with arrows. You can see in photo there’s one in foreground, one at pony, one in background near (hopefully) a black cow…can’t miss them
BC729B25-7D35-4A07-AEEF-39C0D65801DD.jpeg2649BD97-440D-4D6F-BEF6-ACB2A352A4AB.jpeg

We loved both, David at the Perigrinos Bodenaya and the hospitales route, so glad we did it. Feet are wounded, but glad🚶🏼‍♀️Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And don’t forget the wonderful Albergue run by Javi in Samblismo. It is right at the spot where the Hospitales option splits from the Pola de Allande option. Another home cooked vegetarian dinner and the best bread (also made by Javi) I’ve had on the camino.

And on the topic of Hospitales — I’m not sure why the myth persists that the Hospitales route is the more difficult because it’s absolutely not. You have a steep descent of 400 m just to get to Pola de Allande from Borres which adds 400 m to the ascent up to the Puerto de Palo where the two options meet. The ascent on Hospitales is also much more gradual. Hospitales has you along a ridge line for a long time so it’d be dangerous in thunder and lightening so pay attention to the weather reports.

Beautiful route, hope you enjoy it!
Many thanks for the encouragement, we loved it and the weather could not have been better. Buen Camino🚶🏼‍♀️

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back