• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time, help please

katarinka

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hey guys, I have decided to do Via de la Plata this year and I would really use some help and tips from you, who have already been there. First, I am young female and am going to walk alone. I would like to "wild" camp along the road. What do you think, is it too dangerous? I would like to sleep in hammock or on the ground.
Do you guys have any bad experiences along Via de la Plata. I have read about thiefs and few attacks, what to be aware of on the route?
Thank you for all answers! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would not recommend wild camping for women alone on the VdlP.
There just is not enough infrastructure and fewer other Pilgrims. A lot of long lonely stretches.
I found it very different from the other routes in that way. I did not feel any danger (as a man) while walking but...rough sleeping for a girl???

The portion of the VdlP north of Sevilla to Salamanca has had more reports and rumors of bad actors than the other routes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
oh, thank you, that was really useful. Have you heard about something more dangerous then thiefs on the way from Sevilla to Salamanca? Any bad experiences from other women you ´ve probably met?

oh, thank you, that was really useful. Have you heard about something more dangerous then thiefs on the way from Sevilla to Salamanca? Any bad experiences from other women you ´ve probably met?
I just returned from the VdlP (Salamanca to SdC) and did have one bad experience. I am a 62 year old female and traveled solo. I encountered a shepherd in Galicia in the middle of some woods that I spoke to very briefly. He grabbed me and kissed me and as I walked off he called to me and pointed to himself then me and then the bushes. I said "no" and walked away as quickly as possible. Freaked me out a bit since I never encountered anything like this on my last three caminos ( on the French Way). I decided he just saw a hopeful opportunity and really wasn't a danger. I started on March 5 and spent almost all my nights alone and never saw anyone on the trail during the day except in Zamora and the last three days into Santiago. I did manage to somehow get lost a lot but always got back on track. I never felt unsafe and locals were very friendly and helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back