• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time in Winter!

Pops

Time of past OR future Camino
3/7 - 7/7/2017 Camino Frances.
St Jean to Logroño
CF in December....should I expect snow? Boots as opposed to trainers yes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes indeed boots!

Winter is a wonderful time to walk but you must be prepared!

To begin your research/planning do check the helpful posts/links in this recent forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-winter-advice.51183/

Difficult CF stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/memories.html
Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment
topic http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/equipment-questions.30/
to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Stay safe and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second mspath: take your boots. Waterproof boots are great. However, the rain can slide down your pants and into boots erasing usefulness of said boots. Therefore, take rain pants or gaiters. Be prepared for rain and subsequent: Mud!

Some albergues do not turn on heat, others too much, and some just right.

Buen camino.

Boots x3. I like Gortex-lined boots combined with rain pants/jacket combo. I’ve been considering some Gaiters too to help reduce the mud build-up, especially across the Meseta. I also take a waterproof hat and gloves. Staying dry will go a long way towards keeping you warm which goes a long way towards keeping you happy :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be wearing Goretex Salomon walking shoes as I normally wear trail runners or running shoes but I do plan on bringing my gaitors which will also keep my pant legs clean and hopefully dry.
Good water hiking boots are good, we wore or Keene's we never took our gators. Walking sticks are useful in that over frozen slate rock going up and down hills the paths and roads get slick and muddy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Good water hiking boots are good, we wore or Keene's we never took our gators. Walking sticks are useful in that over frozen slate rock going up and down hills the paths and roads get slick and muddy.

I don't doubt that boots are appropriate in the winter but as I have never worn them during my Caminos I decided to stick with what works for me.

Since my first Camino in 2010 my walking sticks have not left my side! Ice is a bit worrisome though, not sure how effective they will be on slick surfaces.

I have just got home to Australia after a winter Camino. Started 13 November and finished 17 Dec. 2017. Camino Frances St Jean to Compostela. Got small amount of snow between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles on day 1 as we reached the top. And then a lot of snow Dec 11 and 12 as we walked up to O'Cebriero and then next day to Triacastela. Knee deep in spots and snowed heavily as we came into O'Cebriero. Waterproof boots a must.

@GaryAus would you recommend a winter camino? And enjoy the sunshine now you are home!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@GaryAus would you recommend a winter camino? And enjoy the sunshine now you are home!

Kanga, it was fantastic. We (2 Australians walking together) had the Camino virtually to ourselves. I know the weather is a lottery, but the weather was just glorious. Most days 6-12 degrees, and coldest morning about -6 degrees coming out of Burgos and again O'Cebriero in the snow. Only 5 days of rain in 33 walking days. We saw beautiful sunny days, a few rainy days, almost no windy days, and got to walk through fresh snow. No mud anywhere and the Meseta dry. Visibility in the main excellent with only a couple foggy days. Only once did we get to our planned stopping point for the day to find nothing open, and had to walk on.

Walked with only 10-15 other pilgrims each day, mostly Europeans and South Koreans, and really only saw them at food and coffee stops and at the end of the day. But they were a great bunch, and we got on well. I'm sure I will walk again with some of them in the years ahead, and we have agreed to stay in touch. Saw no other Australians the whole time. Albergues and hostels generally open everywhere (at least one in every town) but food on some days hard to come by if the Bars were closed. But that was rare. We stocked up on muesli bars and apples for such eventualities.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a (early) winter Camino, at least the Camino Frances with its established infrastructure. I couldn't imagine doing it in summer with thousands of others, and walking in the heat. With a bit of planning, Albergues and food were fairly easily managed. Websites and Apps were invaluable and wifi generally available for free at bars and Albergues, so everything operated from our mobile phones as we worked out where to aim for each day. The Christmas lights going up in each town as we progressed was also pretty special.

I will eventually post a detailed journal for others, but I absolutely can recommend a winter Camino and can't imagine a better time of year to do it.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back