• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time on a Camino

JMessenger1

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello everyone,
I'm planning my first Camino this later this year and would like some advice on Hostels please. I would like to stay a night at the Monasterio de Zenarruza - Are you able to book or do you just turn up and try your luck? Also, what happens if you get to an albergue and there are no beds left, where do you stay?
Many thanks, JasonM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,
I'm planning my first Camino this later this year and would like some advice on Hostels please. I would like to stay a night at the Monasterio de Zenarruza - Are you able to book or do you just turn up and try your luck? Also, what happens if you get to an albergue and there are no beds left, where do you stay?
Many thanks, JasonM
Hola

I can't see if it is possile to reserve but you could call them and ask if you speak some Spanish?

I will look a little more to see if I find something.
Normally though, it is not possible to reserve at Donativos.

-

You will learn as you go :)
If you are in reasonable shape and walk from morning until 12-14-15 in the afternoon, most often you will have no problem getting a bed.
If you arrive at your end destination at 18-20-... then most probalby all the beds at the albergues will be taken (depending on the season you walk).

One thing to learn is that pilgrims have been walking on the Caminos for 1000 years...
Pilgrims are in the local Spanish songs, festivals and much more.
I have experienced myself that a woman drove 2 pilgrims to another town, no charge ofcourse, to help them as there were no more free beds..
The local people are friendly and understand the life of the pilgrims.

Don't worry to much.
At worse you have to take a taxi to another town and it may cost you some Euros, but I bet it will not break your budget. :)

Else,... if you are on a budget and you don't have a bed for the night, go to the Firestation/firemen, "Bomberos" in Spanish.

The firemen will set you up so you can sleep on the floor at the firestation.
It is an old Spanish tradition. (Policemen will also help if you approache them).

Everything flows.
Flow with it.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Hola @JMessenger1
Welcome to the Camino Forum. You will find that this is quite possibly to greatest Camino resources centre on the planet. You have already seen an example in the response from @lettinggo and @Jackcoo007 . Over the next months if you cannot get the search function to provide the answer you are most welcome to come back here and ask. (There are no Stupid Questions - but there might be a few funny answers). Lastly Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ironically, as more and more pilgrims have taken to booking ahead, the traditional albergues are finding they are not always as full as they used to be. If the muni or donativo is full (some towns have both), there will be private albergues and budget hotels nearby, or you can walk on to the next stop on the route. At least on the Francés there will be alternatives not too far away. If you download an app such as Gronze (in Spanish but you can google translate) you will be able to locate the nearest place to stay. If an albergue is full, the hospitaler@ will almost certainly help you find a place or at least tell where you can try.

You can email the Monasterio. I think they would appreciate you letting them know you are coming. I showed up there with two friends at 1800. The priest was not happy with us 😊

I only have one comment, and it may be a generalization, and some people may think it inappropriate.

"Monasteries are dirty and convents are clean."

Just based on personal experience. YMMV.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,
Many thanks, JasonM
The website Gronze.com has a list of all accommodations along the various caminos.

. If you download an app such as Gronze (in Spanish but you can google translate)
Other than their new map app which is still in beta and only thus far for Android, there is no Gronze app to download. But you can bookmark the site on your phone.

As @dick bird said, it's only in Spanish, but if you view it in the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

The monastery the OP refers to is on the Camino del Norte, presumably they know this although this link would be helpful for anyone walking the Francés.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
what happens if you get to an albergue and there are no beds left, where do you stay?
You have a discussion with the hospitaleros and ask what they suggest. If you are left without a bed, there will likely be other pilgrims with the same problem. If all else fails, you take a taxi to the nearest lodging.
It is an old Spanish tradition.
This may be an old Spanish tradition, but I haven't heard of it happening in Spain in recent years. However, I have heard of it in Portugal.

Last edited:
The monastery the OP refers to is on the Camino del Norte, presumably they know this although this link would be helpful for anyone walking the Francés.
Fixed

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola

I can't see if it is possile to reserve but you could call them and ask if you speak some Spanish?

I will look a little more to see if I find something.
Normally though, it is not possible to reserve at Donativos.

-

You will learn as you go :)
If you are in reasonable shape and walk from morning until 12-14-15 in the afternoon, most often you will have no problem getting a bed.
If you arrive at your end destination at 18-20-... then most probalby all the beds at the albergues will be taken (depending on the season you walk).

One thing to learn is that pilgrims have been walking on the Caminos for 1000 years...
Pilgrims are in the local Spanish songs, festivals and much more.
I have experienced myself that a woman drove 2 pilgrims to another town, no charge ofcourse, to help them as there were no more free beds..
The local people are friendly and understand the life of the pilgrims.

Don't worry to much.
At worse you have to take a taxi to another town and it may cost you some Euros, but I bet it will not break your budget. :)

Else,... if you are on a budget and you don't have a bed for the night, go to the Firestation/firemen, "Bomberos" in Spanish.

It is an old Spanish tradition. (Policemen will also help if you approache them).

Everything flows.
Flow with it.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you all for your help. It is reassuring.

You have a discussion with the hospitaleros and ask what they suggest. If you are left without a bed, there will likely be other pilgrims with the same problem. If all else fails, you take a taxi to the nearest lodging.

This may be an old Spanish tradition, but I haven't heard of it happening in Spain in recent years. However, I have heard of it in Portugal.
Thank yo7 for this

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back