• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time peregrinos doing El Camino Ingles

m00nman

Neil and Craig in Pontedueme - 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (2012, 2019), Norte (Hendaya - Gernika, (2013, 2019), Ourense, (2014), Portugues Oct (2017).
Hello, :)

Myself and a friend are going to walk the Camino Ingles in September 2012 and would appreciate any advice you can offer. I will list some queries below and if possible can you give us some hints/advice as we endeavour on our very first Camino.
We will fly into Santiago airport on a Thursday lunchtime and have to be back at the airport the following Tuesday by 14:00 PM. We are new to the website and will of course research everyone's comments but in the meantime can you advise with any of the following...

* Travel from Santiago airport to Ferrol
* First nights stay in Ferrol
* Can we achieve this in the time we have
* Footwear
* Guide re weight to bring
* Essentials to be packed
* Maps/guides/places to stay
* What do we need to have before we arrive...i.e. Sello?
* Anything else you would advise for the Virgin Camineros?

All/any advice would be greatly appreciated and I only hope that one day we will be in a position to return the favour...

Neil Armstrong and Craig McGuicken - Northern Ireland.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Neil and Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

A good tool to help with your planning would be the CSJ's downloadable guide to the Ingles available from here. This will provide you with route information, suggested stages, accommodation suggestions etc.

The default time frame for walking from Ferrol is 5 days which would not really fit in with the dates and times of your arrival/departure so you may need to review either the dates or the distance you walk if dates are fixed, in order to comfortably complete your camino. The other branch of the Ingles, A Coruna to Santiago, can be completed in three days, although being under 100km in length this will not qualify for a Compostela.

The weekday bus schedule from Santiago bus station to Ferrol is shown below. Buses from the Airport into the Santiago bus station run approximately every 30 mins.

You can look up other dates for the Ferrol bus route on the monbus website.

I wish you well with your planning and training.

Buen Camino
Mig

Attachments

• Ferrol.JPG
    Ferrol.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 6,758
Hi Neil and Craig

Mig's right that the Ferrol - Santiago route would be tricky in the time that you have. On the Camino Ingles the choice of accommodation is more limited than on the Frances, so even if you're fit and able you can't just decide to walk an extra 5 or 10km to make up time. I'd consider the La Coruna leg instead. That might leave a day or so to enjoy Santiago, and do the 'pilgrim rituals'. The train from Santiago to La Coruna is only about 45-50 minutes and inexpensive.

John Walker's guide is great. Regarding equipment, weight, boots etc just follow the usual advice elsewhere on the forum about packing light and being prepared for a bit of rain etc.

There are fewer pilgrims on the Ingles, so don't expect to see and meet lots of people very early as you would on the Frances. I don't think I met any other pilgrims for the first couple of days on my Camino from Ferrol last September, which would be unthinkable on the Frances. All the more reason to spend a bit of time enjoying Santiago with those that you do pick up along the way! :D

Buen Camino!

Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
If you haven't your plane tickets yet, consider an "open jaw" fly into A Coruna and back from SDC. That way you gain a day. The flt into aCoruna usually arrives early enough to take the bus to Ferrol and begin the camino.
Arn

* Travel from Santiago airport to Ferrol
* First nights stay in Ferrol
* Can we achieve this in the time we have
* Footwear
* Guide re weight to bring
* Essentials to be packed
* Maps/guides/places to stay
* What do we need to have before we arrive...i.e. Sello?
* Anything else you would advise for the Virgin Camineros?

Hola Neil and Craig

You already have the information on getting the bus from Santiago to Ferrol - it is very straightforward.

First night in Ferrol - there is accommodation of all prices listed in the guide.

Footwear - all of the Camino Ingles is on forest tracks or quiet country roads. However it could be wet or soft underfoot in parts. Walking shoes or boots with a gortex liner would be my choice.

Essentials to be packed - the less, the better! There are lots of packing lists around.

Maps/Guides - the route is very well waymarked. The guide is all you need. You don't need maps although the guide tells you where to get them if you wish. The route is very clear.

Places to stay/can we achieve this in the time we have? - there are places to stay at each stage and all are listed in the guide. This route CAN be done in 4 stages and strong walkers may do this. The stages to stay in albergues would be:

Thursday (First day) on arrival in Ferrol - walk to the albergue in Neda
Friday - Neda to albergue in Mino
Saturday - Mino - Hospital de Bruma
Sunday - Hospital de Bruma - Sigueiro (or indeed the 40 kms into Santiago!)
Monday - Sigueiro - Santiago
Tuesday - Home

However these are challenging stages and unless you are strong and experienced walkers I would advise against this.

As has been suggested why not think about getting the bus to A Coruna on arrival and walking from there? This takes three or four days as you can split the first day if you wish. Then you can have a leisurely day exploring Santiago before you go home.

With the latter you will not qualify for a Compostela but if you collect sellos from Coruna, Bruma, Sigueiro and other places along the way I am sure the pilgrims' office in Santiago will consider issuing another certificate marking your journey. Ask them.

Credenciales/sellos - The Credencial or Pilgrims Passport is available in the church of Santiago in A Coruna and from the Tourist Office in Ferrol. Sellos (stamps) are available at many places along the way. You may wish to get a credencial before you go - there are a number of posting on this forum as to how you can do this.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

John

Hola Neil and Craig,

I walked from A Coruna last October with my daughter because we did not have time to walk from Ferrol. It is a lovely route. There are some reflections on my blog:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/

especially in October and November last year. Walking from A Coruna meant we had a full day there to look around and a also a full day in Santiago at the end. And, despite being under 100km, it certainly felt like a proper pilgrimage.

Let us know if we can help at all,

buen camino,

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good evening everyone,

What a breath of fresh air it was to read all the replies we have received already regarding our first Camino. Thank you to you all for your invaluable insights for which I can honestly say have been really encouraging..
We arrive from Dublin on the Thursday at 15:40 if the flight is on time and if we're really lucky we might make the bus at 16:10 for Ferrol...unfortunately, in my opinion, whether we make this bus or the next will still prevent us from doing any walking on that day...so, can we realistically complete the Ingles and be back for our Tuesday afternoon flight, departing 16:20...
I appreciate the advice re. leaving from A Coruna and it's a great shame but we are unable to fly from Ireland directly to A Coruna and personally I really want to achieve the Compostela. Consequently we are looking at long walks on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and maybe even a short distance on the Tuesday morning to complete. Work and family commitments prevent us from taking the extra time which is unfortunate.
I will continue my research and look forward to reading any further information you might have.
A big thank you again to everyone for giving us some of your time...Hasta La Proxima!!!

Neil and Craig.

Hi Guys.

If the Compostela is important, why not just go for the Camino Frances from Sarria? I think that would be easier to do in 4 days than the Ingles because you have more accommodation options. I reckon it could work as long as you can get to Sarria on the day you arrive in Spain.

John Brierley's book has Sarria-Santiago split into 5 stages, but none are longer than 25.8km, with one as short as 20.1km. As far as I remember there are no major mountains to cross so you might be able to stretch your legs a bit and make up a day (walking approx 5-7kms extra each day compared with Brierley's suggestions). You would feel it in your legs afterwards but I reckon it's possible if you're reasonably fit.

You'll meet lots of other pilgrims as well. It's a special thing when you all bump into each other in Santiago!

Buen Camino!

Hi,

The distances as per the CSJ guide are:
Ferrol – Pontedeume 25 kms
Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms
Betanzos – Hospital de Bruma 29 kms
Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms

There is a hotel on the route between Sigueiro and Santiago, a further 4.5 km on from Sigueiro, which if you walked on to it on your 4th day (Monday) would leave you just 11.5km to walk on the Tuesday morning. I've not stayed there but hotel details can be found on the Booking.Com website here. The camino route passes just to the rear of the hotel so easily accessible. Hotel location is viewable on Google Maps here.

Regards
Mig

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Miguel - thanks I've had one or two e mails from pilgrims saying that the Hotel Vicente was very good although much more expensive than the hostal Miras in Sigueiro.

I think the options therefore are:

Thursday (First day) on arrival in Ferrol - walk or bus/taxi to the albergue in Neda 11kms
Friday - Neda to albergue in Mino 27kms
Saturday - Mino - Hospital de Bruma 38 kms
Sunday - Hospital de Bruma - Sigueiro 24 kms (or indeed the 40 kms into Santiago!)
Monday - Sigueiro – Santiago 16 kms
Tuesday – Home
or
Friday - Ferrol (or Neda) – Pontedeume 25 kms
Saturday - Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms
Sunday - Betanzos – Hospital de Bruma 29 kms (+2kms to Meson do Vento)
Monday - Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms (or 28.5 if going to hotel Vicente)
Tuesday - Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms (or 11.5kms)

The latter might work depending on your flight time.

NB - starting in Neda still qualifies for the Compostela but be sure to get a stamp.

I've known pilgrims who have walked this route using both configurations - beware that walking Mino - to Bruma (38kms) is challenging at points :)

Buen Camino

John

Mention of the hotel Vicente reminds me of something I should share. My last day on the Camino Ingles I did from Sigüeiro. Following the Camino through a little village on the back road (so I didn't see the hotel Vicente), I noticed a small chapel just before the Camino comes to join the main road. It was ten o'clock as I went past and conscious that I had some good kilometres to go to Santiago. A man came to ring the chapel bell with its bell rope on the outside. As I took a quick look inside at the simple beauty of this tiny old sanctuary, he asked if I had come to mass. I explained that I was hurrying to catch the noon pilgrims mass in Santiago and had time for only a quick prayer, before the priest and his alter boy started to process in. Later, back home, I wondered about this place and found nothing on the internet about it, except the following (if anybody has more information I would love to hear it):
From The Visitor' Guide to the Marian Santuaries of Galicia, by Juan José Cebriém Franco.
Morantes, San Vicente, Eremita de Nuestra Señora de Las Angustías, Agualada, Santiago. La Curña-Santiago. 8 September.
It is a chapel which is located on the Camino de Santiago which comes from Ferrol, Villalaba and Betanzos and which enters the City of the Apostle by the north.
It was the place where they washed themselves, purifying themselves before entering Santiago. Already in the XII century this chapel existed, a time at which it was part of the presbytery. In the XVI, when the cloister of the cathedral was demolished so as to construct the present one, one of the arches was brought to this chapel and retained as its triumphal arch.
Often, having bathed in the fountain, which the pilgrims used to cure warts, they took water from this fountain to give it to the sick. On stormy days, it was usual to ring the bells to drive away the clouds and stop the thunder.
[/b]
That I did not stay for mass was perhaps the only regret I have since had about my camino. A pilgrims mass in the great cathedral is grand, but there is one there every day (and several in that Holy Year 2010). Next time I'll stop for mass in Nosa Señora de Agualada.

JohnnieWalker said:
Miguel - thanks I've had one or two e mails from pilgrims saying that the Hotel Vicente was very good although much more expensive than the hostal Miras in Sigueiro.
It certainly is. Hostal Miras approx 15 Euros for single room. Hotel San Vicente, £54 for double room, but you do get breakfast and your own shower :) !

There is another hotel even closer to Santiago, Hotel Castro, leaving just a 7km trot to the Cathedral, although of course it extends the Bruma - Sigueiro stage by 9km.

Mig

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Neil and Craig
as you can see the English is a much loved Camino,John is the expert and a wise man would heed his advice.
I have done it twice both times in 4 days.
the first time in Feb 2009 catching the same bus as you and walking to Neda in pitch blackness its a great place to stay 5 euros,it may be empty you have to phone the numbers on the front door,don't do what I did and not know the code for Spain from my English mobile,as it will be light till late in September-the Alburges at Neda and Mina are run by the civil defence and will come and let you in whatever the time.
I think its wise to spend that first night in Neda (you can get your credencial from there too) that gives you 11km in the bank and a good start for your main first days walking.
I would also stay in Betanzos ( free bed in the judo room at the sports center ask at the tourist ic) too hard to continue to Bruma.
Bruma to Sig is an easy flat walk giving you time to continue to Santiago ok, its 40km but does not seem that far-thou it is a pig of a walk from Sig you are walking into a large city!!
roots and boots hostel in Santiago can be booked in advance (12 euro) you will get there maybe by 8pm-24 hour key, a wander and a drink-que one hour in the morning for your compostella time to visit the Cathedral even the Pilgrim mass and then homeward bound.
you look a couple of young fit lads so no problem, I was 64 the last time though I had walked from France to get there.
oh when you arrive at the bus station on the lower floor you will have to charge up to the first floor to get your ticket to Ferrol and charge back down again, but you will expend a lot more energy thinking about the walk before September than you will do on the walk itself.
Have a great Camino Lads,but be careful they can get addictive :D
on my blog below are pics of the ingles the first one feb 2009

Thank you again to you all for your continued support, I only wish it was next week we were going and not September. All good things and all that and I have a feeling we will need the time ahead to continue our planning. I also have a feeling that it will not just be Craig and myself who make the trek as everyone we have talked to so far about it have expressed their interest...so much so that I have creasted a small website (which is a work in progress) which I am going to use to prepare us for the Camino. Feel free to take a look here at http://www.caminoingles2012.webs.com

We are having our first official meeting on 03rd March so it's all sytems go!!!

My wife is Basque (from Zarautz) and you will see a photo of me on there on a stretch between Orio and Zarautz. We passed several peregrinos that particular day and it was a joy to greet them and wish them well on their way...'Buen Camino'...
My father-in-law (mi suegro) Antonio has walked from St Jean de Pied de Port as far as Leon so hopefully one day I'll manage to finish his Camino with him. I also have a feeling Antonio will join us on the Ingles which will make it even more special.

Speak to you all again soon and feel free to offer any guidance or advice for the website. I can be contacted anytime at neilsanchez72@hotmail.com

Neil and Craig.

Hi guys,

Just an update to confirm flights booked for September 2012... :D :D :D

We arrive on Saturday 08th September, returning to Dublin on Thursday 13th...

Sagalouts, I like the idea of doing that initial 11 kms from Ferrol to Neda the evening/night of our arrival; Craig is more up for travelling the first night and walking to Santiago from Neda but I have always seen us doing it from Ferrol so I will try to persuade him. :shock:

I'm still not too sure if we will be travelling as two or more but either way I am really looking forward to it. My two kids (boys of 12 and 9) have been talking about it with me so I envisage a return already with them in 2013.

The main item I need to purchase will be my rucksack which needs to be big enough to carry what I need but light and compact enough to travel with (and put on the flight with Aer Lingus as hand luggage). I've seen this ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Verden ... GZUU7CNEXO
though not sure if it will be big enough (45+8???)

Anyway, any advice as always appreciated and accepted...

Hasta la proxima,

Neil + Craig

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola - great news on the travel plans. Many people would argue that the rucksack is too big! Less is best on Camino. Because the Camino Ingles is 5 days don't be tempted to take 5 of everything! You won't need very much. You can afford to only take 2 pairs of socks and liners and 2 of underpants. You can wash a pair of the liners and pants each evening. It will still be warm in September. I'd either take one pair of trousers which are convertible to shorts or shorts and a lightweight pair of trousers for the evening. You need a light top to walk in and a light top and/or fleece for the evening if it is cold. Toiletries, light sleeping bag if you are using the albergues and that's about it. DON'T rely on getting blankets on this route. I'd aim for 6 kgs max.

Best wishes

John

I'm glad it's all coming together. As an addition to what John's just said, if you can it would be a good idea to try on your rucksack before you buy. Rucksacks come in all sorts of back-sizes and strap configurations and trying on means you'll get something relatively comfortable.

buen camino,

Andy

John and Andy,

Thanks to you both for taking the time to add your thoughts. I was even thinking that the rucksack I posted might have been too small, so that was welcome advice. A rethink is required and I have decided that I will visit the local stores to get a close up look and try them for size. :D :D :D

Speak soon,

Neil

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well its finally official...I've just received my Pilgrim Forum Badge...yee ha ! Counting down the days, it can't come quick enough.

Off to Barcelona today for a few days with the wife to celebrate our 40th
birthdays. Plenty of walking coming up I reckon...

Thanks for sending the badge...hasta la próxima amigos!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

I've been really pleasantly surprised at how helpful everyone is on this forum. I'm attempting the Camino Ingles in July with 4 others, we've got so far as booking flights, and doing some training walking (with bags, and plenty of rain!). We are planning on arriving in SDC the night before we get the bus and start walking from Ferrol, and we'll also (all things being well) arrive back in SDC with a day to spare. We were hoping that if we booked a hotel in SDC for our first and last nights that we could leave a bag of clothes, etc. and avoid carrying them all the way. Has anyone found a hotel in SDC that would accomodate this request?

Thanks in advance,
Rachel

I would find a hotel you like the look of and then just drop a mail or phone call to ask. If you have one bag with everyone's spare clothes then all the better. You can also leave bags at Pilgrim Office, 1 euro per day.

Ingles from Ferrol is a lovely route.

Buen Camino
Mig

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
08th September is fast approaching. I have purchased a new rucksack, I've got my credential and most importantly my Pilgrim Forum Badge...time to get out and do a little training I reckon! :shock: ...though to be honest the couple of walks I have done recently, the only issue I am having is with my feet. I suffer from a condition called Pompholyx which is a sort of eczema that affects my feet. Consequently my biggest worry for the next few weeks is treating this condition so that I am not left limping my four day Ingles with blisters.

If anyone has experienced this awful condition and know of any remedies I'd love to hear from you. I am applying creams every day prescribed by the doctor, but nothing seems to take it away... :x

Cheers,

Neil

Attachments

• Camino Bag.jpg
    Camino Bag.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,725
Hola Neil

Great to see you getting ready - September isn't far off now. To whet your appetite I've just posted some of the experiences of other pilgrims on the Camino Ingles here:

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogs ... ience.html

I haven't suffered from the particular condition you mention but I have suffered from foot problems in the past. Whilst my doctor was sympathetic I got the best help from a podiatrist who understood long distance walking.

Best wishes

John

This is the report we submitted to a local paper here in Northern Ireland.

Neil Armstrong and Craig McGuicken are heading off to Spain on 8th September to walk the Camino Ingles (The English Way) in North West Spain. A shorter version of the main Camino Frances (The French Way) their trek takes them from Ferrol the 111 kilometres down to the infamous city of Santiago de Compostela. For many the pilgrimage is a spiritual one but for Neil and Craig it was simply about seeing a new part of the world and meeting fellow trekkers along the way. You can read a bit more about details of the walk by visiting our website at http://www.caminoingles2012.webs.com which we will keep updated throughout and after we return.
During our preparation Craig suggested we walk for charity and The Robin Menary Foundation was an easy choice for us both. Last year we received devastating news of the sad passing of our dear friend, Robin Menary. Robin was a strong, healthy, happy and very sporty 36 year old, looking forward to the birth of much longed for twins, when, without warning, he was diagnosed with a Grade 4 Glioblastoma brain tumour, one of the deadliest forms of cancer. Only 17 months later, on 24th August 2011, Robin died aged just 38.
We hope to support awareness of this illness through this walk and hopefully raise a few quid along the way. Donations can be made on-line by logging onto the Robin Menary Foundation Website where you can also read more about Robin's story and more facts about Brain Tumour Research - http://www.therobinmenaryfoundation.com

Attachments

• Neil and Craig1.jpg
    Neil and Craig1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,932
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL...I'm missing Galicia already.

Thanks to everyone for the help, tips and advice...I am putting a Blog together so will update our fantastic Camino Ingles here soon!!! :D :D :D :D

Neil

Hi everyone,

Well it's been six weeks since we got back from our wonderful journey along the Camino Ingles. Must admit there's barely a day goes by that I don't look at the blog and recount stories with friends and family.

All in all we have raised approx. £1,000 for charity along the way and coupled with the memories and stories it has been one of the best things I have done in my life. The charity we supported is The Robin Menary Foundation for Brain Tumour Research. http://www.therobinmenaryfoundation.com

In fact so much do I miss it that I am going to do 5 or 6 days along 'El Camino del Norte' next July. My wife is from Zarautz which is the arrival point for day two from San Sebastian and I will walk on at least as far as Gernika, a town I've wanted to visit for many years now. Then it'll be back to Zarautz for a week or two to lie on the beach and wave the Caminero's Buen Camino as they pass!!! Bliss!

So I'm off now to El Camino del Norte part of the website to start my research...July is along way away yet I know but to be honest time passes pretty quick and you can never research too much. I hope to post something on there later in the new year and look forward to hearing from you all again...thanks for everything and 'Buen Camino' to you all.

Neil and Craig

Attachments

• Santiago.jpg
    Santiago.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,213
Hello, pelegrinos!

In June I am planning to do camino Primitivo, Fenisterra, Muxia and Camino Ingles. Last year I did French way. I am asking is better to go to Coruna futher to Ferrol from Muxia by bus and than walk to Santiago or start walking from Santiago to Ferrol back by bus to Santiago. Can anyone advice me. How much exactly kilometres is from Ferrol to A Coruna and to Santiago. 150 km?

Tatjana

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there,

Like John says I'm not sure what you are asking. He has provided you with the distances.

I certainly wouldn't be considering walking to Ferrol from Santiago but I suppose that its your Camino so only you can decide on the best way to go. For Craig and me, we wanted to enjoy the arrival into Santiago. ..which we'll never forget!

Hi, John!
Soory that you did not understand my question!

I am planning a circle trip in June
First Camino Primitivo - start in Oviedo - Melide - Santiago, Fenisterra, Muxia and Camino Ingles, Santiago

I would like to go from Muxia to Ferrol and there start camino Ingles to Santiago. My questions are
Is there any direct line from Muxia to Ferrol?
How often daily drives bus to Ferrol?

Can you advice me?

Thanks Tatjana

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back