• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first time pilgrim: How long does it take to walk?

ScottC

I am planning to walk from St Jean at the end of August and have really only 30-32 days to do it in. I a mfairly fit and a good walker. All that I have read tells me that it takes between 28 days and 35 days to complete. I also know that rest days are important... so my question is (and I know it is silly) but from experienced walkers how long does it take?

Scott

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you only have a certain number of days, that is how long it can take you. Many people skip a bit somewhere along the way and take a bus over a few stages so they can arrive in Santiago the day they need to for various reasons. If you are a fairly fit walker, chances are 30-32 days could be ample, barring unforeseen events. But if not, so long as you walk the last 100km you can still get a Compostela.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a reason for the days. If you follow most guides, you will take around 30 days from St. Jean to Compostela.

I started from Roncesvalles in 2006, it took me 29 days with no rest days. Twice in the journey, I had some issues with the boots, tendons, etc, that slowed me down a little. Eventually it still took the same number of days as in the guides.

So plan for 30 days plus the number of rest days. If may be able to take a few days if you are fit.

But with such a long journey there are no guarantee on the camino. That's the beauty of the camino. It defies exact planning.

You should be able to do it in that time. We did it in 32 days in 2008. This included staying in Burgos for an extra day and taking a bus into Leon to avoid having to walk through the depressing industrial zone.

Scott, it depends where you start. As you will see, over and over again in this forum, there is NO 'official' starting point for the Frances. Many start in St Jean, others in Roncevalles, others - well, wherever they want. If you are concerned about time, and wish to walk the whole way and not take any buses, start closer to Santiago, ie. Pamplona. If a Compestela is important to you, you must walk the last 100km; other than that, it doesn't matter if you walk 1000km, 850, or 105 kilometers to the Camino Office (forgive me, but I can't remember the official name for this). Do NOT feel you are 'missing' anything, the Camino is what you make of it, it doesn't make you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for all those thoughts - they have helped me deal with the dilemma of "doing it because it is there" as opposed to "walking my pilgrimage".

I 'walked my pilgrimage' in 2002 from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 27 days with no official 'rest' days (and my walking buddy was 74 years old).
You don't have to walk an average distance each day to keep on track. Start slowly at the beginning until you have got into the rythym of day-to-day walking. Some days we walked 15km and others - especially on the meseta - 40km.
We walked a few really short days so that the remainder of the day was a rest day. Remember that you can only spend one night in an albergue. Most albergues ask you to leave by 8am - 8h30. You will then have to check into a hotel for your extra night.

sillydoll said:
I 'walked my pilgrimage' in 2002 from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 27 days with no official 'rest' days (and my walking buddy was 74 years old).
You don't have to walk an average distance each day to keep on track. Start slowly at the beginning until you have got into the rythym of day-to-day walking. Some days we walked 15km and others - especially on the meseta - 40km.
We walked a few really short days so that the remainder of the day was a rest day. Remember that you can only spend one night in an albergue. Most albergues ask you to leave by 8am - 8h30. You will then have to check into a hotel for your extra night.

This is very helpful thanks - I will be doing it alone and I understand the need t ostart relatively slowiy. I think I have now confirmed for myself that I should start inside Spain to give myself enough time to do it and a little at the end.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Scott, just to add a bit of confusion... and following on from your comment above... of course, start from wherever you feel comfortable. BUT, especially if you feel fit and your boots (and feet) are broken in, then don't miss that wonderful walk over the Pyrenees from SJPP...! The views are breathtaking. It is a hard walk, no doubt... but if you can do that first long day, you can do any day. And you will be able to do it all inside 30 days.

Are you planning to go on to Finisterre?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Scott, if your time is limited try to save on travelling to and from the Camino. If it is easier to start in Pamplona because of transport links, then start there. Come back another time and walk from Le Puy to Pamplona......

That works well for those between the ages of 25 and 40!:)

I did 80 days last year, averaging about 20km per day. I am not between 25 and 40...

Thanks I did it in 21 days this year and you have just reduced my age by somewhere between 26 and 41 years. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would rather skip a day in between then skip the walk from Sjpdp to Roncesvalles. That first day is awesome!!!!! Don't miss out on this one.
Skip a day on the meseta for instance or make a few longer days to walk in some time, but miss that first day? That, to me, would be a shame.

The OP asked this question and completed his Camino in 2010. He hasn't been heard from since 2011, so we're not talking to him. Good info for anyone tho. :).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hahhahaha.....how stupid of me :)

I just looked at the last post and ussumed the discussion was recent

Thanks for the alert of the question having been posted in 2012. :p
Good info for me, though, as I am vacillating between the Camino Portugues (from Lisbon) vs. the Camino Frances (from SJPdP) as my first camino in May 2015, and I also only have 30 days.
Y'all just helped me decide on going the Frances way!

For those who did it in 20-21 days - I have exactly 21 days of walking time! Do you remember your stops? It would be superbly helpful to get an idea of where you stopped and on average how many hours you walked daily.
Was it ever a problem finding a bed if you walked longer, ie past 1pm?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For those who did it in 20-21 days - I have exactly 21 days of walking time! Do you remember your stops? It would be superbly helpful to get an idea of where you stopped and on average how many hours you walked daily.

Dear Joy, if you want to do the Camino Frances, I'd tell you to start in Burgos (if you are a strong walker) or later (maybe better), to fit in that schedule.
Stops vary a lot, due to weather, your physical conditions or if you thought the place was pretty and wants to stay longer.

In average, I walked 6-7 hours per day in a comfortable pace for me, starting never after 7h30am.
We went in May and didn't have problems finding beds. The only day the albergue was full (after Cebreiro), we walked a bit more and took a private room in an inn in Biduedo.

Take a look in guides, books and in this forum, they will help your planning. But go with an open mind that things may change - it's actually one of the best things of the Camino. You are free to listen to your body and decide if you should go on or stop.

Buen Camino!

I am planning to walk from St Jean at the end of August and have really only 30-32 days to do it in. I a mfairly fit and a good walker. All that I have read tells me that it takes between 28 days and 35 days to complete. I also know that rest days are important... so my question is (and I know it is silly) but from experienced walkers how long does it take?

Scott
Hi Scott , I returned 4 weeks ago and walked for 37 day's nice and easy . I did look around , visit places and meeting lot's off nice people along the way .
I wish you a very nice time on the Camino , Peter .

Hi walked mid April ...took me thirty five days......started off quite slow for first week then increased daily kilometres to a max of 33 but usually less than that....around 20-25 then 25--29km ....some of my group went quicker in the beginning but quite a few of those ended up behind me ....having had episodes of tendonitis..or severe blisters. I did not have any of these problems.
Didn't have full days off but always arrived at a city by 1pm ish to allow for sight seeing. On those days prob only walked 12-15km.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi joy ...I only got caught out once....ended up having to walk another 12km...making a 33km day .....not good as was extremely hot and there was no one else in sight....After that whenever I planned my next days stage I made sure that I knew how far the next albergue was.....and if it was more than say 5km I would shorten my days walk. I don't think the big gaps in albergues happens very often but worth checking when you do your planning.

A lot of comments her I will have about 28 days in June from St-jean to Santiago. I am 31 pretty healthy. Would this realistically be enough, I see some posts here saying 21-26 days is this true?. I know slow and steady is the best but I am flying from Canada and time away from work is limited.

Scott

Hey Scott, your question is impossible to answer -- probably you couldn't even answer it yourself.

The question is contingent on daily hiking speed, which is the far more important factor than your hourly speed or your training speed.

Only you will know what your comfortable daily speed is, and then only after a week to 10 days or more of walking.

Having said that, 30-32 days is probably sufficient, if you're a good walker -- good walkers typically take about 4.5 weeks, and if you're good and strong enough to be capable of picking up your pace when needed, even if that might mean leaving some people behind sooner rather than later (it's inevitable regardless), then you should be OK from the sound of it.

A more pedantic answer to your question is that, fastest to slowest, the Camino can take anything between 10 days and two and a half months. That information will not help you as such, but it may hopefully help you realise that you will only know how long it takes after you've done it.

Personally, my first "proper" Camino in 94 (though the 93 one was vital personally) ended up as SJPP to Santiago in 3 weeks (longer to there from Paris) ; my last one in 2014 took about 2 months for a similar distance, and 69 days from Lourdes.

Bottom line -- you'll see when you get there, but from the sound of things I'd say that you have a good handle on it.

Buen Camino !!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many people skip a bit somewhere along the way and take a bus over a few stages

Which is very silly, sorry, I mean that it's a mistake rather than being "stupid" or anything like that -- better to start from closer to the Shrine that's compatible with your time frame.

And spiritually, encouraging people to take a bus is unhelpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
aaarrrrgg ancient-thread-itis-a-phobia strikes again !!!

Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread as there is a lot of good info in them. But when prople address an OP directly as if he is awaiting an answer, and he asked the question years ago, I think they deserve to know that. I have fallen into the same trap of not noticing the date and was grateful when it was brought to my attention.

Scott
It took me 37 with 2 rest days.. I’m 280 lbs and wasn’t in the best shape lol. Motor on the meseta and you should be good in 31 days

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back