• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie or Veteran? The Ratio of First-Time and Returning Pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
So when I find myself in Roncesvalles, looking around and figuring out my routine (where to shower, where to put my bag, etc), how many of my fellow pilgrims will be doing this for the first time, and how many will be old hands who have done this all before?

I know there are plenty of pilgrims who walk multiple caminos, but I have no idea if they make up the majority, or are a small minority.

Not that it makes any difference, but I'm just curious, particularly for the first couple days. After that everyone will have found their groove and will seem like experienced pilgrims.

What have you experienced? When chatting with people in Roncesvalles were most people you talked to first-time pilgrims?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think I met 8 people during the entire Camino from SJPdP to SdC that had walked Camino before. It's likely that there were many more that had walked before as I clearly did not talk to every single person :D None of the people I talked to in Roncesvalles had walked before.

JustJack,

In easier past years I have stayed at the Roncesvalles albergue 11 times. Usually the fellow pilgrims were first timers. Some walked up but others even arrived by taxi! Here is an account of how it was the very first time in autumn 2004 when accommodation was in a repurposed barn.

Whenever, however you go Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey JustJack (perhaps from Ireland). That’s a great question. From just a data perspective, that would be a good question for the Pilgrim’s Office in SJPP to ask. I’ve been through there twice and I do not remember being asked if this was my first Camino. My first experience seems to be similar to what @mspath described above. Upon reaching Roncesvalles, most of us there were on our first camino and with every bed taken, that’s quite a few pilgrims. Even as I think back to that first camino, I don’t remember meeting many camino veterans. Some, but they were certainly in the minority. On our more recent trips, I do meet people who have walked before, but not in great number. I do remember a certain thrill crossing the Pyrenees with my many fellow pilgrims all experiencing the Camino with such fresh eyes and enthusiasm. But, I have to admit, my excitement for each subsequent Camino has been nearly as great.

I've definitely met more repeat pilgrims on routes other than the Francés. I probably met no more than 5 repeat pilgrims on my first Camino Francés in 2016.
Yeah that makes sense. I imagine the vast majority of first time pilgrims walk the CF, and many will choose a different route on subsequent caminos. I should have thought of that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have met repeat pilgrims on the Frances and Norte, but they were a minority.

After my first CF, I think like lots of other pilgrims, I did some shorter routes on the CP and CI for my next pilgrimages. Given the time constraints of another 30 to 45 days, I suspect many of us go back and repeat the CF, when we have the time. I had the luxury of living nearby the Camino in Biarritz and could go walk many different routes for a week or a month. That is my plan now that I have moved to Lisbon and thanks to some advice from Jungleboy, I am looking at the San Vincente in southern Portugal this spring.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've definitely met more repeat pilgrims on routes other than the Francés. I probably met no more than 5 repeat pilgrims on my first Camino Francés in 2016.
Without a doubt this is true. On the Norte in 2018 I would say 80% walked before. On the VDLP everyone I met save 1 person had walked before and he gave up pretty early on just after Carcaboso. None on the Aragones, When I walked the from Le Puy I didn't meet any pilgrims going to even ST Jean let alone Santiago. I have only met one Pilgrim whose first camino was from Le Puy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am walking the Camino Frances at the moment. Not that many other pilgrims around but of those I'd estimate about 1/3 have walked a Camino before. It may be that being midwinter shifts the balance a little. I'd certainly agree that on the VdlP the proportion of returning walkers is far higher. Also true in my experience that many who walk the Via Francigena have already completed at least one Camino.

I have walked the CF multiple times and seldom saw any returning pilgrims...one year I did not encounter any other who had walked before.

I think Roland has it right above...you are much more likely to encounter returning walkers in the Winter as they may feel more confortable with the much smaller crowds....although the year I did not encounter any other veterans was in January so I "guess" that we are always only guessing. :)

I on every visit to Spain I do the Frances from SJPP to Santiago, plus other Caminos as time allows. I make it a point to talk to a great many pilgrims and am amazed at the tremendous amount of repeat CF pilgrims there are. Each year I meet a higher percentage of repeaters-a lot have done more than 2x.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Judging from this site and several others - first time pilgrims seem to be in the minority! LOL
I learned that many first time pilgrims visit this forum as readers only to get information. In fact I met 2 silent readers from this forum on my first camino. Experienced pilgrims however, have a lot to tell and they have opinions on everything. Hence they are not the majority, but clearly the most visible and active part of the crowd on here 😉

I tend not to identify myself as a “veteran” when I’m walking. I don’t want kudos and I don’t want to answer the “what’s the best next bit” question. I’ll use an “experienced hiker” guise to try and help with blisters, back-pack set-up, hydration/nutrition questions.
I don’t expect I’m unique. I suspect many multi-Camino walkers will keep their heads down in a crowd. On this lovely forum it’s different; I’ll flaunt my silver-back status with as many belly-slaps as required. 😉

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tend not to identify myself as a “veteran” when I’m walking. I don’t want kudos and I don’t want to answer the “what’s the best next bit” question. I’ll use an “experienced hiker” guise to try and help with blisters, back-pack set-up, hydration/nutrition questions.
I don’t expect I’m unique. I suspect many multi-Camino walkers will keep their heads down in a crowd. On this lovely forum it’s different; I’ll flaunt my silver-back status with as many belly-slaps as required. 😉
I very much agree. I am not interested in talking to others about my Caminos unless they express a genuine interest in going themselves. I spend more than enough time here on the forum in company of like-minded people. When walking in Spain, I keep my head down and prefer to be seen in a neutral way - not a complete innocent, but not an expert. Of course it is a pleasure to meet up with others who have similar or more experience on the Caminos - but then we don't really need to talk about it; we are doing it!

So many people I met on Del Norte had done CF and perhaps CP as well. Very few on CDN were first time pilgrims. I'm starting #4 in May, back to CF. It will be interesting and a very different experience than the first one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a repeat offender, many Caminos, but I do not talk about it unless directly asked. And I don't register for a Compostela in SdC anymore. Not for many years.
Me too. I'm very aware of an unfortunate personal tendency to bore the backside off people on the subject of pilgrimage at the slightest excuse. A deplorable habit which I try to subdue. :) I arrived in Santiago today and asked the pilgrim office for just a sello rather than a Compostela. Which provoked a raised eyebrow but no audible comment from the volunteer at the desk.

Me too. I'm very aware of an unfortunate personal tendency to bore the backside off people on the subject of pilgrimage at the slightest excuse. A deplorable habit which I try to subdue. :) I arrived in Santiago today and asked the pilgrim office for just a sello rather than a Compostela. Which provoked a raised eyebrow but no audible comment from the volunteer at the desk.
Congratulations! Have some tapas (one for me) at Do Bispo in Rua do Franco!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hard to say. I walked the Frances right when Spain reopened after COVID closures (arrived the first day I was allowed to fly in). There weren't many of us - around 30/day walking the same stages as me during the first half of the Frances and there were quite a few repeat pilgrims. In fact - almost every American I met had been on the Frances at least 3 times. It seemed like at least 20% were repeat pilgrims. I am not even counting the Spanish pilgrims who do more frequent shorter stretches. But it was a strange time for sure - I don't think that is the norm. Spain announced their reopening and those itching to return hopped on the first flights they could board. I felt like there were more first timers on the Frances than on the Norte/Primitivo the following year.

I am now a repeat pilgrim having walked the Frances/Muxia/Finisterre and the Norte/Primitivo and planning my VF this summer - but I haven't walked any route twice yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I will be more mindful of this next time I walk. It seemed like EVERYONE kept wanting me to compare routes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the bus to St. Jean the German guy sitting next to me said it was his 18th Camino Frances and he had a tattoo for each one! In Roncesvalles there was a group from Australia with one experienced pilgrim leading others, another Ozzie and friends from the USA who were returned pilgrims and a delightful Irish couple where the guy had walked before but his wife had not.

Beyond Pamplona I did not meet many obvious returning pilgrims until Sarria. Probably luck of the game.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back