• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Pilgrims walking in March 2015

Spreckel

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk The French Way in mid-March, 2015
My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances in mid March. We live in Minnesota, and we are avid hikers but not experienced pack travelers. We plan to walk to Santiago from SJPDP and would appreciate advice on hiking this time of year, gear - or anything that's helpful for first-timers.

Thank you!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances in mid March. We live in Minnesota, and we are avid hikers but not experienced pack travelers. We plan to walk to Santiago from SJPDP and would appreciate advice on hiking this time of year, gear - or anything that's helpful for first-timers.

Thank you!![/

I am also a first time pilgrim walking the Camino in mid March. I am from Texas leaving on the 12th. Bueno Camino

First time pilgrims often pack between 5 and 10 kilos of fear in their backpacks. The good news is that the Camino passes through many cities that have department stores, hardware stores, and trekking stores (often geared toward pilgrims). So only pack what you know you will absolutely need every day. Do not pack anything that you think you might need. Worst case scenario is that you have to take a taxi ride to a store to pick something up. Otherwise, pack as light as possible. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First time pilgrims often pack between 5 and 10 kilos of fear in their backpacks. The good news is that the Camino passes through many cities that have department stores, hardware stores, and trekking stores (often geared toward pilgrims). So only pack what you know you will absolutely need every day. Do not pack anything that you think you might need. Worst case scenario is that you have to take a taxi ride to a store to pick something up. Otherwise, pack as light as possible. Buen Camino!
Thank you for the packing advice! I'm relieved to hear that we can pick up things we need along the Way. I have a habit of overpacking and I've never packed an expedition type back pack for efficiency. We're presently looking into the type of packs that will suit us best.

I'm also curious about the weather conditions during mid-March; wondering how many layers to pack so as to accommodate cooler temps and snow.

Buen Camino!

Hello - so happy to hear about a fellow Pilgrim arriving in mid-March!! Are you starting in St. Jean? And have you heard about the weather this time of year? We're in the midst of making our travel plans. I'm hoping we'll be out there when you're there.

Buen Camino!

Actually it is advisable NOT to buy the backpack first, as the size of it depends on the rest of your gear (sleeping bag comes to mind!). If you buy your backpack too large you will be always tempted to fill it, if too small you will have a daily struggle fitting everything in it in the morning. Layers: The usual three ones: base, warmth and rain/wind protection. Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would pack at least one thing I might need. A spare pair of underwear. Left a pair hanging on a line somewhere and I was not the only one :). When I discovered the problem I was not in a place where I could buy new ones :(. As to time of year, I started mid March 2013 which apparently was the worst early spring weather in 25 years. There was snow on the high ground, mud lower down and really deep mud on the meseta. The weather varied from cool to very warm and on the couple of days it rained, boy did it rain. Having said that, my son walked it from March 1st 2012, had lovely weather and not a single day of rain. Weather can be unpredictable but I would say given my own and my sons experiences you will probably get more good than bad,
Buen Camino

I found one of the harder things to do was minimise the things that I would normally take bushwalking, when one does need to be independent for several days. The camino is in large part a series of day-walks, not a typical multi-day bushwalk. Once I had that figured out, I removed about 3 kg from my load immediately, and a bit more over the following weeks.

We're presently looking into the type of packs that will suit us best.
I agree with @SYates that knowing what gear you are going to take is an important first step. If it is any help, I have a simple rule of thumb to get you into the right area. Take your weight in kg, halve it and that is about the size (in litres) of pack that will take a load of about 10% of your body mass comfortably. For a spring or autumn walk, add about 25%. Smaller means tighter and more difficult packing each day. Bigger is temptation to carry more, and is to be avoided.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Spreckel, mspath is a winter walker and can give you plenty information on this subject, she will probably be along shortly.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Spreckel,

Welcome to the Forum!

Mid March weather can be VERY tricky and you must be prepared for cold weather.
Be sure to read what other Forum members and I have written regarding walking during cold weather especially in this earlier thread. Most pilgrims develop a favorite kit; mine weighs 6.5 kilos and has kept me comfy and safe walking in late autumn/winter for the past 10 years. Of course you can buy anything you need in Spain, BUT you may not find easily what you need when you need it. For example basic rations are important since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open that day or season! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons !), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Spreckel, thanks for asking, and everyone else, thanks for answering. Keep those tips coming.

Is March really "winter"? It would feel so much warmer if y'all would agree to refer to it as "early spring"! :-]

We too will be Camino newbies worried about weather this March. We'll be starting in Pamplona on the 23rd or 24th. Perhaps we'll cross paths. Buen camino!

Thank you for the packing advice! I'm relieved to hear that we can pick up things we need along the Way. I have a habit of overpacking and I've never packed an expedition type back pack for efficiency. We're presently looking into the type of packs that will suit us best.

I'm also curious about the weather conditions during mid-March; wondering how many layers to pack so as to accommodate cooler temps and snow.

Buen Camino!
You're from MN, it will feel like you are 3 months ahead on the calendar!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found one of the harder things to do was minimise the things that I would normally take bushwalking, when one does need to be independent for several days. The camino is in large part a series of day-walks, not a typical multi-day bushwalk. Once I had that figured out, I removed about 3 kg from my load immediately, and a bit more over the following weeks.
That is one of the best ways to describe it I have heard. The only thing I would add is that those day-walks aren't what I would consider a daylong bushwalk. So many towns and villages along the way.
It seems so many who have never done it approach it as the latter.

Hi - We start our walk first thing 1st march and without this forum, we would have had no idea as live in Australia. We have had great advise from everyone above in last few months and 1 month today till we fly to Paris, can not wait.
We will have 7Kg + water and have the bare minimum of things required. Love the cold as it has been very hot here and fingers crossed no rain when we walk, but know it will. The gortex gear will help, but you get wet, its part of the experience. Hope boots don't fill up with water lol

Buen Camino

I started mid March 2013 which apparently was the worst early spring weather in 25 years. There was snow on the high ground, mud lower down and really deep mud on the meseta. The weather varied from cool to very warm and on the couple of days it rained, boy did it rain.
My third Camino was during what awful spring of 2013 Tpmchugh refers to. Until then I has walked the CF mid-May to early June and late Sept. to mid October and had only encountered a day of rain an never cold or terrible heat. And so terribly proud of myself for traveling light with just a sleeping bag liner. After that Camino, in May of 2013 I no longer take good weather for granted: I ended up buying gloves anda sleeping bag (when I had some at home) and walked in inches of mud in some places, not just in a spot, but for kms on end.

So I would not bank of what information you can find online from people or databases, just aim for much worse than you think it'll be (It'll not be like Lake Wagebon). But again, it will never be like MN. Or so the Prairie Home Companion tells me ;0)

This year I was told, by a Spaniard who has spend every free day of his life walking around Spain, to bring a sleeping bag for del Norte en september because it would rain and at night I would welcome its warmth. It rained one day: on my first day - when I was in bed, getting over jetlag, while everyone else was at dinner. As for the rest of the days: scorching temps: up to 34C mid morning ;0)

It really is up to you to weight what matters to you most: comfort (heat!) or lightweight on your back.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3kg off: what did you leave behind? After seeing the lists of items people are bringing, and their weight, I weighed my items this weekend. Would love to know what I could leave behind to get me under where I'm at at the moment.

I agree with @SYates that knowing what gear you are going to take is an important first step. If it is any help, I have a simple rule of thumb to get you into the right area. Take your weight in kg, halve it and that is about the size (in litres) of pack that will take a load of about 10% of your body mass comfortably. For a spring or autumn walk, add about 25%. Smaller means tighter and more difficult packing each day. Bigger is temptation to carry more, and is to be avoided.
The problem with this calculation is that for people who are carrying extra weight themselves, and would benefit from even less weight in their backpack, with this calculation you end up having them carry a lot more than they should. If you are all muscle, then yes. But if not .... people would end up carrying 3 times the size of bag. Perhaps you should preface your calculation with a few words of caution ;0)

I can remember backpacking through Europe with an 85L bag, filled with my postgrad books on board. And I remember the bruises on my shoulders ;0)

The problem with this calculation is that for people who are carrying extra weight themselves, and would benefit from even less weight in their backpack, with this calculation you end up having them carry a lot more than they should. If you are all muscle, then yes. But if not .... people would end up carrying 3 times the size of bag. Perhaps you should preface your calculation with a few words of caution ;0)

I can remember backpacking through Europe with an 85L bag, filled with my postgrad books on board. And I remember the bruises on my shoulders ;0)
Sorry, this is the issue with doing a Q&D response,:oops: although I take it your assessment that using actual body mass would lead to a three times increase in the size of the pack is a dramatic flourish. So treating this as rhetorical hyperbole, there clearly is an issue if one is overweight or obese. My view if someone were to use my rule of thumb, they should be basing the calculation on their ideal walking weight, ie if you are over BMI=25, then use your BMI=25 weight.

I would take the same approach with the other weight based rules of thumb, such as the 20% FSO weight target that I use and recommend, or the other infamous magic number, the 10% rule:rolleyes:.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most pilgrims develop a favorite kit; mine weighs 6.5 kilos and has kept me comfy and safe walking in late autumn/winter for the past 10 years.

Margaret, I just clicked through and read your blog post about your kit. I love reading packing lists! One question: what are the "soft white plastic bags" you mention? You say that the "soft plastic is noiseless" but I'm having trouble picturing what kind of plastic bag you mean. The disposable white shopping bags which are ubiquitous here are pretty noisy, so I'm guessing that's not it. Maybe you mean kitchen trash bags? Or something else?

Prentis, The bags which are extremely sturdy (10 years old!) and virtually silent originally carried computer equipment home from Parisian shops; cinched tightly closed with quarter inch cord they resemble stuff sacks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Prentis, The bags which are extremely sturdy (10 years old!) and virtually silent originally carried computer equipment home from Parisian shops; cinched tightly closed with quarter inch cord they resemble stuff sacks.

Thanks, Margaret. First stop on my camino: swing by Paris to buy some computer equipment! :-]

Thank you!!

Hello Spreckel, I will also be a first-timer walking the Camino Frances in mid-March! Glad to see they'll be a few of us out there:). I'll be coming from Syracuse, N.Y. arriving in Madrid on March 22nd and am still trying to figure out the best way to make to SJPDP will be. I plan on starting my Camino on March 23rd. Will be keeping an eye on this thread as I am also looking for advice on what to bring during this time of year. Will you be in SJPDP earlier in March then I will be? Maybe will cross paths at some point:)..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Spreckel, I will also be a first-timer walking the Camino Frances in mid-March! Glad to see they'll be a few of us out there:). I'll be coming from Syracuse, N.Y. arriving in Madrid on March 22nd and am still trying to figure out the best way to make to SJPDP will be. I plan on starting my Camino on March 23rd. Will be keeping an eye on this thread as I am also looking for advice on what to bring during this time of year. Will you be in SJPDP earlier in March then I will be? Maybe will cross paths at some point:)..
Hello!! We arrive in Madrid on March 10 and plan to head out to SJPDP on or around March 14. We are also trying to figure out the best way to get to SJPDP. This seems a bit confusing to us. We'd appreciate any advice on this.

It seems we'll be about a week ahead of you as to our Camino start. It sure would be nice to see you out there! I'll keep my eye on this thread too. We're also trying to determine the best clothes for March. Talk more soon!

Buen Camino!

We are also trying to figure out the best way to get to SJPDP.
From downtown Madrid, you can choose the bus or the train to Pamplona. Train is always more comfortable, but the train station is some distance from downtown and the bus station. From Pamplona, there may be a bus to SJPdP; ALSA is a bit coy about the starting date for the service. Otherwise you can take a bus six days a week to Roncesvalles, and a taxi from there to SJPdP. Another option from Pamplona is to spend the night at Corazon Puro if they are open. They will pick you up in Pamplona, house and feed you, and deliver you to SJPdP the next day.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Buen camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello!! We arrive in Madrid on March 10 and plan to head out to SJPDP on or around March 14. We are also trying to figure out the best way to get to SJPDP. This seems a bit confusing to us. We'd appreciate any advice on this.

It seems we'll be about a week ahead of you as to our Camino start. It sure would be nice to see you out there! I'll keep my eye on this thread too. We're also trying to determine the best clothes for March. Talk more soon!

Buen Camino!
From downtown Madrid, you can choose the bus or the train to Pamplona. Train is always more comfortable, but the train station is some distance from downtown and the bus station. From Pamplona, there may be a bus to SJPdP; ALSA is a bit coy about the starting date for the service. Otherwise you can take a bus six days a week to Roncesvalles, and a taxi from there to SJPdP. Another option from Pamplona is to spend the night at Corazon Puro if they are open. They will pick you up in Pamplona, house and feed you, and deliver you to SJPdP the next day.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Buen camino.
Yes Spreckel would be great to see you guys out there:) and yes I've been finding getting to STJPdP quite confusing myself..
Thanks falcon269 for further info on that:) - here's what I've found so far:

I emailed Corzonpuro as that sounded like a great and very reasonably priced option, but unfortunately Istvan emailed me back to tell me they are not open til March 27th:(. I think my options may be further limited by arriving on a Sunday and therefore no bus to Roncesvalles on Sunday. I then tried www.expressbourricot.com and Caroline emailed me back and said she doesn't provide transport service from Pamplona. So Madrid to Pamplona doesn't seem to be a problem as it seems like bus or train will be an option, but still trying to figure out if I'll need to spend the night in Pamplona or perhaps taxi on Sunday (but was hoping to not have to spend the money it'll cost for a taxi, at least not alone perhaps if I found another peregrino arriving at same time would be great we could share the cost). Caroline did tell me a couple of other options:
1) Try Ivan: transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com
2) Go from Madrid to San sebastian or Irun, and she could transport me from there to st JPP
- San Sebastian to St JPP: 126€
- Irun to St JPP: 106€

And yes faclon269 your right about ALSA be a bit coy about the starting date for bus from Pamplona to SJPdP can't seem to find that info, although I imagine Sunday may not be an option for me on that also...

Well I'll make to SJPdP one way or another just have to make it through some initial roadblocks looks like - oh and I saw a thread on strike in Spain dates and I'm arriving on one of those days designated as an all day strike so have no idea if that will mean anything for me - all part of the journey my camino journey I suppose:)..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Jelli
Yes Spreckel would be great to see you guys out there:) and yes I've been finding getting to STJPdP quite confusing myself..
Thanks falcon269 for further info on that:) - here's what I've found so far:

I emailed Corzonpuro as that sounded like a great and very reasonably priced option, but unfortunately Istvan emailed me back to tell me they are not open til March 27th:(. I think my options may be further limited by arriving on a Sunday and therefore no bus to Roncesvalles on Sunday. I then tried www.expressbourricot.com and Caroline emailed me back and said she doesn't provide transport service from Pamplona. So Madrid to Pamplona doesn't seem to be a problem as it seems like bus or train will be an option, but still trying to figure out if I'll need to spend the night in Pamplona or perhaps taxi on Sunday (but was hoping to not have to spend the money it'll cost for a taxi, at least not alone perhaps if I found another peregrino arriving at same time would be great we could share the cost). Caroline did tell me a couple of other options:
1) Try Ivan: transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com
2) Go from Madrid to San sebastian or Irun, and she could transport me from there to st JPP
- San Sebastian to St JPP: 126€
- Irun to St JPP: 106€

And yes faclon269 your right about ALSA be a bit coy about the starting date for bus from Pamplona to SJPdP can't seem to find that info, although I imagine Sunday may not be an option for me on that also...

Well I'll make to SJPdP one way or another just have to make it through some initial roadblocks looks like - oh and I saw a thread on strike in Spain dates and I'm arriving on one of those days designated as an all day strike so have no idea if that will mean anything for me - all part of the journey my camino journey I suppose:)..
Hello,

We just emailed Istvan not knowing if they were going to be open or not so thank you for your reply - now we know he won't be open for us either. This sounded like a really nice option. We may be up against a Sunday start too. We leave Madrid on Saturday, March 14 but based on timing, things may push us back until the next day.

We will look into some of the other websites you've included in your post - thanks again for that! I hope somehow our paths cross out there. Let's continue this thread. And yes, I agree, we'll get out to SJPDP some way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back