• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time, Solo pilgrim on Portugal coast from Porto - seeking advice

LUISA G

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi pilgrims, I am hoping to plan for El Camino this year in October is this a good time? Not too busy and crowded?
I am a First time, Solo pilgrim on Portugal coast I would be so grateful with any help planning itinerary starting in Porto. Thank you 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Luisa, and welcome.

Old-fashioned though it may be I would strongly suggest buying one of the several physical guidebooks which are available and reading it at your leisure. If you have specific questions thereafter: post them.

There are many excellent threads on that route if you go to the appropriate section of the forum, or use the search function.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a section on a boardwalk I believe. Apologies for random comment

The Village to Village Camino Portuguese guide book along with the Wise Pilgrim phone app have tons of useful information and tips concerning route, accommodations, etc. Stingynomads.com also has good information about the Camino’s. Happy planning!

I am a First time, Solo pilgrim on Portugal coast I would be so grateful with any help planning itinerary starting in Porto

I second Henry's advice. Later into October there maybe fewer options for finding a place to stay at night. Most of the stops on the coastal are beach resort towns and they start shutting down for the season.

I am planning to walk on the coast at the end of October as part of my kind of weird camino this year. Bayonne to Burgos via Vasco Interior, Burgos to Leon on the Meseta (love the Meseta), and then hop over to Porto and up the coast. I checked Gronze and it looks like all the albergues are open year round. Of course just because it says it, it doesn't always work that way. If the OP wants only hotels, I didn't check those.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for this important information, I am going to change it to the first week in September and I have two weeks to reach Santiago de compostella. I welcome any advice and route recommendation. I am interested in changing to the central Portugal route wherever it is the most beautiful and peaceful route. I am in pretty good walking shape so that is not a problem. Thanks you all.
Buen camino

Hey! I am doing it right now! If your want we can have a call next week and I tell you everything you want to know!
Kind regards
Sounds like a plan will wait for your response when you return. Thank you
Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I second Henry's advice. Later into October there maybe fewer options for finding a place to stay at night. Most of the stops on the coastal are beach resort towns and they start shutting down for the season.
Thank you

Hello Luisa, and welcome.

Old-fashioned though it may be I would strongly suggest buying one of the several physical guidebooks which are available and reading it at your leisure. If you have specific questions thereafter: post them.

There are many excellent threads on that route if you go to the appropriate section of the forum, or use the search function.
Thank you 👍

Hi pilgrims, I am hoping to plan for El Camino this year in October is this a good time? Not too busy and crowded?
I am a First time, Solo pilgrim on Portugal coast I would be so grateful with any help planning itinerary starting in Porto. Thank you 😊
I did it in October 2018. It was a good time. I only walked along the coast for the beginning and then switched to the Central. It wasn't too crowded but it wasn't empty either. It was hot at the beginning but nicer as the Camino went on.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did it in October 2018. It was a good time. I only walked along the coast for the beginning and then switched to the Central. It wasn't too crowded but it wasn't empty either. It was hot at the beginning but nicer as the Camino went on.
That sounds wonderful can you remember where you made the transition to the central and how much extra time was the trip from coastal to Central.
Thank you

That sounds wonderful can you remember where you made the transition to the central and how much extra time was the trip from coastal to Central.
Thank you
I made the transition to the Central from Vila do Conde to Arcos. On my first day, I walked along the Senda Litoral to Vila Chã. The second day I walked from Vila Chã up to Vila do Conde, over to Arcos, and then up to Rates where I stayed in the albergue. The first day was 27 km, but that could have been broken up with a stop at Matosinhos. The second day was 19 km.

I made the transition to the Central from Vila do Conde to Arcos. On my first day, I walked along the Senda Litoral to Vila Chã. The second day I walked from Vila Chã up to Vila do Conde, over to Arcos, and then up to Rates where I stayed in the albergue. The first day was 27 km, but that could have been broken up with a stop at Matosinhos. The second day was 19 km.
Thank you, greatly appreciate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for this important information, I am going to change it to the first week in September and I have two weeks to reach Santiago de compostella. I welcome any advice and route recommendation. I am interested in changing to the central Portugal route wherever it is the most beautiful and peaceful route. I am in pretty good walking shape so that is not a problem. Thanks you all.
Buen camino
I'm starting from Porto on August 31 this year, we may meet on the way!

Hello, I walked a solo Camino last year on the Frances, starting in Ponferrada, Spain, and I loved the solitary walks, but also meeting the many nice people along the way.

This year I will be walking the Portuguese with a friend, starting from Porto on August 26th. My 14 day itinerary starts on the Senda Litoral and moves over to the Central Route at Vila de Conde, and we are also including the Spiritual way. Thank you Stingy Nomads for your detailed information :cool:
Happy to share our itinerary with you if you are interested.

Buen Camino!

Hello, I walked a solo Camino last year on the Frances, starting in Ponferrada, Spain, and I loved the solitary walks, but also meeting the many nice people along the way.

This year I will be walking the Portuguese with a friend, starting from Porto on August 26th. My 14 day itinerary starts on the Senda Litoral and moves over to the Central Route at Vila de Conde, and we are also including the Spiritual way. Thank you Stingy Nomads for your detailed information :cool:
Happy to share our itinerary with you if you are interested.

Buen Camino!
Yes, I would greatly appreciate

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back