• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walker and on my own! (eek)

La Hormiguita

Hi everyone! I am new to the forums but I have read quite a few of the threads and I must say I am intrigued by some of the beautiful stories- they are so touching. It sounds like an amazing experience and I am so excited about doing the camino.

I decided back in 2007 to do it and my boyfriend was supposed to be doing it with me. Unfortunately, he broke up with me earlier this year but I´m not letting that hold me back. I will be leaving from London, and travelling by train to Paris and then from there down to the south (I´m doing the camino Frances). Can anyone tell me where is the best place to start walking from in France? or where does the camino frances actually start? Where do I pick up my camino passport? and how does that work exactly? I heard I can stay in albergues for free if I get it stamped.. is this true? how much money should I bring? I plan to do the whole camino frances and I have a lot of time because I will be doing it as soon as I finish uni and before I start the rat race of the real world. Also, is it safe? I´ve never really gone out alone at night and I am a little nervous. I would be grateful for any general advice or any walking companions! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First of all...Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get your questions answered here..maybe even more information than you want. :wink:

I will give it a try and others will fill in all that I miss

1. The most common starting point in France is St. Jean Pied de Port. There are many others but this is the most common.
2. You can get your credential (passport) at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP..or other places if you decide to start further along in Spain. They cost about 1 euro and you simply ask for it. It is also available from the Cofraternity of St. James in England if you have time.
3. Albergues are not free. The public albergues cost from 8 to 10 Euro. Some operate on a donitivo basis..but you should always pay what you can. Private albergues run about 10 to 15 Euro. The prices vary quite a bit..but these are close.
4. There are many ATMs along the way so carrying a lot of money is not necessary. I would think that the average cost per day if you are on a strict budget would be about 30 to 35 euro per day including food and lodging. Others will give you a better breakdown.
5. It is very safe if very common precautions are taken. There are many single women on the Camino at all times. You need never to be alone as you can tag along with others, or at least keep them in sight. Pilgrims tend to look after each other and single women in particular. At night you will usually be with others you have met and joined up with as a loose walking "family". You really need not have concern about your safety if you take basic precautions.
You should have "walking companions" from the very first day.
Buen Camino
Ed

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I see Grayland has already answered your initial questions pretty comprehensively. I'm sure there will be more as you plan your Camino further. There are plenty of people eager to help with any specific questions and of course the Search facility (at the top right of the page) to recall any previous threads relevant to the topic you enter.

Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino.
Mig

Welcome to the Class of 2011!

Ed has provided solid info and as you check the Camino Frances thread you will find much specific to the CF.
You may have lost a BF but you've gotten a whole new bunch of fellow peregrinos to walk the Way.

Buen Camino

Arn

Buen Camino La Hormiguita and welcome to the forum:

You have a lot of questions and many of them have multiple answers provided in the forum thread.

I will give you my opinion.

Most people, start the Camino Frances in SJPdP. Though you can start from Paris, Le Puy, Roncevalles, Burgos, Leon, or Sarria to name a few others. This is usually determined by how much time you have to walk. The purist's would say you start at your door step as the Pilgrims of old did.
If you start in SJPdP, you should give yourself at least 5 weeks. You could take more or less time dependent on how fast you walk. This, imo, is an adequate amount of time to not have to rush and also have time for injury, sightseeing etc. Once you have decided where to start (if SJPdP), take the train from the Montparnesse station in Paris to Bayonne and the another local train to SJPdP.

You can get your Passport at the Pilgrim office in SJPdP.

Most municipal Albergues charge around 5 Euro's, some are donitivo, others as high as 10.

You can get by on as little as 15 Euro's a day but planning on 20-30 a day is more realistic.

I believe it is safe. There is a thread on this subject and I would suggest you read through it.

The Camino for the most part is walked during daylight hours. Most Albergues open their door at 2pm, close them at 10pm and throw you out by 8am.

As far as walking partners, you will meet other Pilgrims in St. Jean. There is always someone you can walk with and that can change day to day. If you are looking to meet someone in advance, I suggest you post your planned departure date and see if anyone responds. There is also a Camino calendar.

I hope I have responded in a helpful manner. Others will also comment. Your questions will become more refined and opinions will abound. Keep reading the threads and I wish you well.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Joe,

Thankyou for the travel info! I wont be starting it until sometime next year. Probably around april or may. And yes, I will have a read through more of the threads. :wink:

Hi Anna

I walked the Camino Frances in April-May this year and it was a lovely time of year to do it. The weather was not too hot or cold, the wild flowers were out and the light and colours could be stunning.

As other posts have said, don't worry about being on your own. By the time I got on the airport bus at Biarritz I'd already met about half a dozen other pilgrims, many also travelling alone.

Buen Camino.

Keith

Hi Keith

Really? I wasn't sure if it would be too hot or over crowded albergues. I'm glad I've chosen a good time to do it. Did you start from St Jean Pied de Port? how long did it take? I'm not so concerned about the time I need, but more so the money I need!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anna.

I was totally unfit, having just planned the trip a couple of weeks before, so I eased myself into the walking gently and took a bit longer than most. It took me 40 days from SJPP including 2 days of total R&R along the way. Considering the length of time on the road the weather was great. A few days with a bit of rain and a few hot days, but more often than not it was spot on for walking.

There were one or two places where accommodation was more limited, but it's not nearly as busy as the high summer.

Keith

Keith,

40 days sounds like a good achievement. Hmm, 40 days x £25 sounds like I will have enough money. I will probably bring a credit card too just for emergencies. I am also paranoid about people robbing me. Did you or anyone else experience any thefts? in the albergues or whilst you were sleeping? I know most people who I will encounter on the camino are the last people on earth who would even dream of stealing, but I am a little paranoid and I am always looking over my shoulder. Hopefully I will learn to chill and trust people once I start this adventure.

Also, my mum keeps telling me I need to get into shape if I want to do the camino. I am healthy and I do exercise but I think I know what she means now because you said you were not fit at the beginning. I guess it does help with stamina even if you don't plan to power walk the whole way! lol :lol:

Anna

I'm talking 'unfit' as in 20 cigarettes a day and way too much booze unfit. I haven't been near a gym in about 25 years.

As for crime, you have to be careful in the big cities - don't leave your mobile phone sitting on a cafe table etc. As said before, it's just using general common sense. On the road there will almost always be other pilgrims walking within sight of you, so if you want to walk alone you'll be very safe in the case of injury or any other adversity. I never heard of crime problems in albergues or hostals (I used both).

Just another thought. I know there are environmental issues, but you may find that financially using air travel is a better option, especially for getting home again.

Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi Keith

yes, I think I will opt for a plane home. I think I will be very exhausted too for another long trip back to London by ground travel. Thanks for all the info and advice! I'm so excited!! I wish it was April already!
Oh yes, one more question> I am deciding whether to take an actual sleeping bag or a "sleeping bag liner" I read on a few websites and forums that it is recommended to take a liner as opposed to a sleeping bag as it is thinner and designed for indoors. But someone else mentioned that it was really cold even in July! What did you sleep in? was it cold at night?

Anna

Oh no! The sleeping bag question. I am the idiot who accidentally left his sleeping bag in the first albergue I stayed in, so I slept in a fleece half the time! Better to refer to other posts on the subject! Some albergues have blankets that would supplement a sleeping bag liner, but overall with hindsight I'd go for one of the compact sleeping bags. Others may disagree, though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Anna
I have to warn you - you will get addicted to this forum, there is so much info here....
I have also lost my travelling companion, but after initially freaking out :shock: , have decided it will be okay. People on the forum have been very reassuring about meeting up with others on the Way.
I am starting late April so maybe I will see you. enjoy lurking about the forum - I am following catherine mccoy's blog - she is on the camino now.

karen

Hi Karen!

I think I am already addicted!! I'm so glad someone else is doing the camino the same time as me! hopefully we'll bump into each other sometime in April!

And I will be having a snoop at catherine mccoys blog too now! I've been looking at the photos on other forums too and it looks so beautiful!! I can't wait! :D

Anna

If you have the Pilgrims' Forum badge on your pack/hat it might help to meet Forum friends. Link is near the bottom of each page.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As far as theft...consider:

1. Buy a document holder that you can put your passport, credit cards, etc. in. You wear it around your neck and take it with you everywhere...even to the shower.
http://www.rei.com/product/816280/rei-t ... eck-wallet

2. Don't leave your pack outside a bar, shop...easy to pick up and walk away.

As others have said...seldom happens, but by taking a few precautions...it may not happen to you.

Buen "April is a beautiful time of the year" Camino.

Arn

We like the cheap leather document belts that can be bought for about £5 in the UK; usually available from street markets etc. Like a flat bumbag. The leather absorbs damp but keeps papers etc dry. There are cloth/silk types but they let things get damp.
I don't like too much round my neck, too hot and sticky, but that is a personal choice

I worked for several years in crime prevention. The key is to make life as difficult as possible for thieves. Be aware of what is of value to them and pack/carry these things accordingly. If you've packed well for the Camino that will probably just be money/cards, travel documents, phone, camera. Not many of us carry very high value goods such as laptops.

These neck wallets are good. Generally divide cash between different pockets in case of pickpocketing etc. Although there are ATMs in major towns it's easy to go a few days without seeing one so I found I was often carrying more cash than I would normally. I was using John Brierley's guide, which doesn't cover the locations of cash machines. I believe the German 'Jacobsweg Wanderfuhrer' does, so if you have a lazy afternoon borrow a copy from a fellow pilgrim and make a note of where the ATMs are to help minimise the spare cash you are carrying.

Consider taking an old mobile phone rather than your state of the art iPhone etc.

Download photos from your camera along the way if possible. It's sometimes what's on the camera more than the camera itself that you'd miss if it was lost or stolen.

Be aware of your strengths (e.g. you don't have much with you to protect), but also your vulnerabilities (e.g. you're often tired and with sore feet!).

Overall, you're probably safer on the Camino for a month or so than the same length of time in London or any other major city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are in London, check ou the Confraternity of St. James. Their website is http://www.csj.org.uk/
or just google Confraternity of St. James. They will be of great assistance as you prepare...

Good Luck in your final year of higher education,
And Buen Camino in the Spring!

David, Victoria, Canada.

For money, credit card, passport, etc. I use a neck wallet. I don't like things around my neck (or for the strap to show there), so I shorten the strap and loop it around my bra strap (sorry, guys, this most likely will not work for you). Mine is lightweight fabric, so I put everything in a ziploc plastic baggie inside. This does not leave my person unless I am actually in the shower, then right back on. I'm not paranoid about losing stuff, but I try not to put anything in my pockets that I can't bear to lose.

I'll probably push a few "don't be judgemental" buttons with this response, but, I think the Camino is better done solo. Have a great time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my opinion, neck wallets are not good.
It's very simply for a thief to cut the strap and run with it.
I watched this happen in Puerto Rico and it was over in about 10 seconds.
The thieves know how the wallets hang, where to grab, where to cut, and where to run.

I also watched a gypsy woman in a crowded Rome subway (where they pack you in like sardines) snug up to a women alike, unzip her fanny pack, reach in and help herself. She was a regular. We saw her several times afterwards on other days. She'd get on one stop, do her work, and get off before anyone knew what happened.

The best we saw was also in Rome where a few pickpockets got on a very crowded bus. One vomited (projecting) into the center of the bus.. the horrified people moved back tightly together to get out of the way. People screamed. The bus stopped. A few people jumped off. The bus started. Several people then realized they'd been robbed.

If you shorten the strap to a neck pouch and attach it to your bra strap, that sounds like it would work. But if it's around your neck, you're asking for it to be a target.

The safest place for cash,cards, and passport in my opinion is snugly around your waist under your clothing in a money belt which you carry with you at ALL times, even to the shower. Carry the day's cash in a pouch or pocket if you like, but keep the rest snugged away.

wow a lot of info! Thank you all for your help, David & Victoria for the information about the Confraternity in London- I will be joining to get my pilgrim passport. And thank you all for the security advice! :wink:

There was a suggestion on another thread to make your pack safer on public transport etc. Just put its rain cover on! That stops anyone sliding the zip if it has one, or lifting things out of external pockets. Ours have a drawstring and lid with a pullover buckle so not much problem, and we only keep water bottles in the pockets, but the idea seems a good one. In a cafe you can clip its straps round a table leg.
I loop my camera to my pack's carry strap when I take it off, chiefly so I don't walk off without it. Otherwise it is round my neck and over one shoulder, held in place by my packs chest strap. Safe but accessible. Terry's will go on his pack's waist strap, but mine won't. Phone is zipped into trouser pocket.

As you are the UK you might like to look at Berghaus packs with the Freeflow frame. They are lightweight and great on warmer days as the pack is held off of your back. It is good to try packs on as you will probably see on other threads. Ours weigh 1kg 60gms and are 30l (mine) and 50l. If you are on your own the 30 might be a bit small, Terry carries my sleeping bag, a 40l might be better, and you don't have to fill it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The raincover is an excellent idea to stop 'packpocketing'. And I think AnnieSantiago is quite right about the neck wallets - I suppose their strength is generally in concealment, so if they're not concealed...

I used a Berghaus Freeflow 35+8l pack for both my Caminos (Frances and Ingles). I'm totally happy with it now, but at first I wasn't 100% confident about the strength of the clips compared with my old Polish Alpinus 70l pack, which I still love to bits but it's too big for the Camino, bless it. The Berghaus was great as it turned out.

I used a soft fabric security holster, worn underarm under your clothes, for passport, spare cash and cards. As long as you don't pack it too full it remains comfortable and hidden under your t-shirt. I got so used to it I wore it in bed!

I also used a sturdy waist belt with zipped and concealed pockets for my camera and phone and cash needed on daily basis. This I clipped to frame of bunk overnight, next to my pillow, storing my specs and little torch too.

My credencial, being too big to fit in my waist belt, was in an interior pocket of the rucksack, next to my back.

The only downside was having to fully open up my pack to get a sello and to have to get half-undressed to retrieve my passport when checking in anywhere!

The advice about taking valuables to the shower with you in a sealed waterproof bag is good.

I met one person who had lost cash from his rucksack when he left it unattended while showering but apart from that I didn't experience or hear about any other problems.

Concerning kit, now is a good time to look around for items as many outdoor stores may be having end-of-season sales.

Oh dear, Anna. You already said you were a "little paranoid" while planning the trip. We've probably got you terrified after all our contributions! The bottom line is that, with basic, sensible precautions, you'll probably be as safe as you've ever been. And with many new friends to share it with. So enjoy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have always used the neck-strap method, and I think as long as it's securely fastened under your shirt, it's pretty hard to dislodge surreptitiously.

THANK YOU for the suggestion of the rain cover-over-pack. What a great idea. I was robbed on the Madrid metro (I know!) from a pro in a tightly-squeezed mob on board the metro..... so this is a n excellent solution.

I think common-sense measures and a certain amount of vigilance is all that is needed. No need to go nuts with the whole thing.

L

Ok, one more question (last one! I promise!)
This one is for the girls: Makeup..? I know it sounds shallow, but I am still deciding if its worth the tiny extra weight/space in my backpack.. or is it not really worth the time and effort in the morning?

My mum insists I take at least mascara to look presentable in case I meet a "handsome young single man" :lol: (I'm 26 btw) lol to be honest, my motives for doing the camino are more about focusing on my "inner beauty" but then again I don't want to look like some shaggy haired hermit cave man when I arrive to Santiago!

Any advice/experience on this matter?

With up to 120 roommates sharing the bathroom, you will have time and space for how much cosmetic work?

oh no, i apply it sitting on my bed with a little hand mirror. takes about 5-10 mins. Or even whilst walking, or sitting outside. but my question is more about "do you find you don't need to use makeup because you are focusing on something more spiritual" rather than a question of practicality which can affect other pilgrims e.i. hogging the bathroom.

hormiguita, so excited for you! not only is the camino wonderful but the prep and months of anticipation is also great fun. i walked in June/July this year from sjpdp to muxia, on rare occasions I walked with someone but mostly I walked alone because I like the quiet and solitude.

As a female walking alone (there were many others)... some advice
1. carry a whistle, if nothing else it will make you feel better... when i walked through outskirts of cities or bigger towns, i creep myself out with an overactive imagination but felt better when I clutched the whistle
2. don't bring anything that you are afraid of losing, so you won't worry about losing them
3. when men ask if you are walking solo, gauge him carefully before you answer 'si', prob better to say no, a couple of imaginary muscular brothers coming up behind you is a good answer if the hombre asking looks a bit dodgy

I brought a silk sleeping bag liner and I was very cold, very cold at night.

As for makeup... like johnniewalker I don't use any but I met a very pretty woman on the first day of her camino, then I saw her again a week later and she told me tho she never goes out of her house without makeup she threw away her bag of makeup, it was too much of a hassle. I thought she looked prettier without the cosmetics.

have fun and buen camino!

Shampoo, toothbrush and a tiny pot of toothpaste, a disposable razor and a small 'sapphire' nail file was my kit. The nail file was important for keeping my toe nails short and smooth as well as finger nails and the shampoo doubled as shower gel and occasionally for clothes. Hotel size soap is good for washing clothes too.
No other kit really needed and it helps to keep the weight down too. If you change your mind you can always buy stuff in Spain. Or you can take some out and ditch it like others have done before you :)
It depends on how you really feel about it deep down.
Buen Camino

Peregrinacheena, a whistle is such a good idea! I never thought of it and it doesn't take up much space! ideal. :wink:

Tia Valeria, yes, I want to travel really light. I like the bar of soap idea for clothes. I think I might chop my locks too before I set off to save on shampoo/shower gel. And buying stuff there is always better than throwing away excess!

I love this forum! so much useful info and wise words of the experienced peregrin@s!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ha ha! One for the girls...yeah right!

I walked with an Irish girl between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles and one of the first things she said was how liberating it was not to feel that she had to make up in the morning! I don't know how make-up works, but if anything I'd have thought it would be evenings only, otherwise it would be all over your face by lunchtime.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable, I say, but I doubt any 'handsome young single man' will miss your outer or inner beauty due to a lack of mascara. I doubt John et al will deny you your Compostela either. :D

Tyrrek,

You sound fairly smitten with La Hormiguita!

Best get your bag packed and escort the lovely lady yourself.

I will admit I met this lovely lady on my 2008 CF. The Swiss Miss...still pining for that lady. :wink:

Gotta love the Camino...in all it's aspects.

Buen "ya never know" Camino

Arn

Ha ha! Arn, I suspect I'm beyond La Hormiguita's age limits. I do love the way a few days on this forum have move LH from being worried about being robbed while she slept to worried about make-up, though! :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hahaha I just worry about everything! worst case scenario: being robbed of my makeup whilst sleeping :lol: no, really on a serious note, I want to make sure I am properly prepared for the Camino and I am concerned that the weight of my bag might be too heavy for me to carry. I read somewhere that it should be no more than a tenth of your body weight or something (???) not sure if I remembered correctly..Also, I am even thinking about staying in Santiago permanently when it's over. I don't have a job to come back to here in UK, or studies to finish, or any other ties. So why not!

Excellent! Put a few bunk beds in your spare room and we'll all be sorted!

Two girls at an albergue in Arzua spent 45 minutes on their blisters, then 15 minutes on toenail polish. I would say that their priorities were correct!

falcon, 45 mins!! :shock: they must have had some giant blisters! I hadn't even thought of the blisters I would get.. It should be fine though, 8 hours on my feet a day in cheap £5 shoes in london doesn't seem to cause blisters. but i guess walking over rocks and stones might.. oh no! I need to invest in some good quality socks (i have walking boots already).

Time on your feet is not the same as six to eight hours of identical repetitive motion! And you will be 15 to 20 pounds heavier. Your feet won't get many breaks (only the ones you intentionally take, which are not like regular minutes off them at work during the day), so the moisture and heat will build and stay.

As you read the threads in the Forum, you will see that the number one misery is blisters (not bed bugs, not snorers, not patatas fritas). It is time to start thinking about them and how you will prevent them. There are plenty of techniques recommended on the Forum, so try them out to see which ones work for you.

The girls had bad, multiple blisters, and they had started in Sarria three days earlier. It is not uncommon for a pilgrim to spend an hour on blisters, piercing, draining, sanitizing, covering, and taping. I personally would prefer eating and drinking.

€83,-
piercing and draining??? :( i'm not sure I have the stomach to do that- I get very queasy about things like that! I heard that its good to rub vaseline on your feet before you put your socks on for the long walk ahead. But surely this adds to the moisture and heat in your feet!? What do you suggest?

Someone else will do the piercing and draining for you. Some people love it.

Surprisingly, Vaseline doesn't seem to heat up your feet much, but does reduce toes rubbing etc. It didn't stop my little toenail falling off yesterday after my Ingles a couple of weeks ago. Good socks are worth the investment.

I think my room mates were grateful for the Dr Scholl boot deodorant spray.

Keith

Keith, so you did the camino Ingles a couple of weeks ago and the Frances earlier this year? That is pretty hardcore. Have you done any other routes? and which do you prefer?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I use a petrolatum (Vaseline) and silicone ointment, SportSlick. Friction causes blisters. Moisture increases friction. Vaseline and silicone both repel moisture. I think it works better than Vaseline alone. Talc also reduces friction and does not add moisture. Feel free to use a lotion in the evening to soothe and soften skin, but they add moisture, and will cause blisters if used for walking. Read the ingredients on anything that is recommended. If it does not have ingredients that reduce moisture and friction, put it in the category of snake oil that does not work. Aloe, for example. Reapply anything you use every couple of hours. Rest and air your feet, take off your shoes/boots, remove your socks, even put on dry socks, and reapply lubricant. It will be worth your time. Also, I use a silk or polypropylene liner socks with wool or wool-blend medium weight socks. I fit my shoes/boots with that sock combination, which generally happens to be be my normal size. Some find that a 1/2 size larger shoe is necessary for thick socks. Do not follow advice to buy a larger size than normal unless it results in a good fit. Extra space will cause extra friction. Similarly, footwear that is too small will cause friction. Be like the Baby Bear, and get it "just right."

In thousands of kilometers of caminos, I never have gotten a blister.

Ha ha! Not that hardcore - just a bit addictive!

They are both wonderful, but very different. The Ingles is much quieter (I didn't meet another peregrino for about 3 days). The relatively short time on the walk (for me 6 days) meant that I didn't get into the same frame of mind as I did on the Frances after several weeks walking. It's hard to explain, but personally I wouldn't recommend someone doing the Ingles as a 'tester' before doing the Frances, even though it may appear a sensible idea on paper. A Camino Frances is not just a Camino Ingles x 6km, if you see what I mean!

I haven't done any others although I have the Portuguese lined up for next year. :)

We don't use vaseline. Instead we use 3layers of socks. The middle pair take the friction.
Inner and hot socks from Rohan (expensive but worth it).
Middle (Sportsman) and outer (Companion) from Corrymoor.

We take one spare full set plus an extra pair of the Rohan. The Corrymoor genuinely don't get smelly, but a second pair is needed for if they do get wet, or you do wash them. The Rohan ones we wash daily so the extra pair means you can be sure they are dry. Damp feet blister more easily.

We have not had any blisters at all with our method. Others have their preferred methods too. Just try and see what works for you. Also if you already have boots what fits them best, or are you planning to buy new. If so buy them with the socks you will be wearing and wear them a bit before setting off.

There is a whole thread on socks, blisters, boots etc ........

Tia Veleria, thank you sooo much for the sock info! I never would have thought 3 pairs would do the trick! and I appreciate the hyperlinks you added to your post- very thoughtful. Thanks :D

And yes, I think I will have to buy another pair of hiking boots- the ones I have are not actually mine I think they belong to one of my brothers or sisters, but being one of five we all kind of exchange /borrow and wear eachothers shoes whether they fit or not! But I have to be sensible with my shoes with regard to the camino for obvious reasons! It is well worth investing in some good walking boots even if they are expensive and I will definitely buy the socks you recommended too. :wink:

La Hormiguita:

Your feet are the most important part of your body on the Camino. As your feet go so goes your Camino. Go to a good outdoor store and tell them your plans. They should be able to help you in your purchase.

I wear merril low cut hiking shoes with vibram soles. I also vaseline my feet each morning and wear smartwool socks. Never had a blister. That said, everyone's feet are different. Some people need ankle support etc.

In regards to make-up, I would say leave it behind. I have seen very few women wearing make-up on the Camino. That said, if it gives you comfort, go for it.

Ultreya,
Joe

La Hormiguita,

Did I miss something, I think I read, ah yes:
Code:
 I need to invest in some good quality socks (i have walking boots already).

In this case, take the boots with you when you purchase your socks. The proper fit means, foot, socks and boots all working together.

Speaking of lubricants, Falcon mentions Sportstick...a good one is Glide:

http://www.rei.com/product/745879/bodyg ... mula-13-oz

This is a good option and has other uses than just feet: use anywhere you may chafe, i.e. thighs, bra straps (not you Keith), shoulder straps (possibly you Keith), etc.

Buen "the good news just keeps coming" Camino

Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BodyGlide:
Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Allantoin (0.5%) (Skin Protectant)
Allantoin is frequently present in toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral hygiene products, in shampoos, lipsticks, anti-acne products, sun care products, and clarifying lotions, various cosmetic lotions and creams, and other cosmetic and pharmaceutical products
That's it. It may smooth your skin, but I would not count on it preventing blisters.

La Hormiguita:

My suggestion was made because I read this quote. I suggest you follow through on this idea and make sure everything (foot wise) is fitted to you.

Ah yes, I think I will have to buy another pair of Hiking boots-the ones I have are not actually mine I think they belong to one of my Brothers or sisters

Ultreya,
Joe

Agreed Falcon, but I've found it great at the first indication of a chafe or hot spot.

I tend, instead of using Vaseline, to use Bag Balm:

http://www.bagbalm.com/
The active ingredients of Bag Balm are 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base.[2]

Not only a lube, but also a good antiseptic.

Buen "Slip, sliding a Way" Camino

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Honestly! You come on this forum to offer your (limited) advice to would-be pilgrims in order to 'give something back', and the moderators hurl accusations and abuse at you! Tut! :D

Back on subject. Personally, I prefer boots to shoes, as I think they affect my overall posture and make me 'want to walk'. I have absolutely no evidence for this being a general experience, though. Try on as many pairs as you can and see which ones give you 'ganas de marchar', so to speak.

I was going to say something about chaffing on behalf of the boys, but I don't think I'll go there now. :|

Keith

Hello little ant!
I'm planning to do the camino frances for the first time and by myself too, in May 2012. And I have been thinking about this makeup question. While there are many other facets to my personality and life, aesthetics do matter to me, and in my ordinary life I get a lot of pleasure from making my own clothes and dressing fabulously! Obviously I will be putting aside the majority of that while on camino... but... I *am* going to take makeup. Just a little - a single dual lip/cheek creme product and perhaps a tube of mascara.
Honestly, since it will weigh hardly anything, the only reason I *wouldn't* take make-up with me is fear of judgement from other pilgrims, but in the end I try not to change my plans for reasons like that. Perhaps I'll end up binning it along the way - I won't rule anything out!But I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm an aesthete and a hedonist not an ascetic! I think I'm still allowed to want to go on a long, meditative walk across one of my favourite countries :) And I think, in reality, I'm not likely to be shunned by other pilgrims just for having a little pink in my cheeks!
My advice to you is to do whatever you feel like, either way :)

Hi Anna!

If you are going in April that is the time I am planning on going. I may start the trip in Leon, not sure the time frame I will have.

But if you wanted to meet up at some point during the trip, I'd love the company!

Good luck!

Chris

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
Not sure if anyone has already posted this but Ryanair do very cheap flights to France if you book a few weeks in advane if you start at a common starting point St Jean Biarritz is the closest airport.Also if you walk all the way to Santiago Ryanair fly Santiago to London Stanstead cheap. I walked with a 32litre backpack which some people say is too small but you can use this as hand luggage and save quite alot of money there and you do not have to worry about them damageing or losing your stuff.
Bien camino
Paul

Could make-up be a good way of getting to meet/bond and share with others? I don't know anything about it, but if a fellow peregrina who hasn't brought any make up is looking a bit regretful as you're applying it, can you share? I don't know how personal it is; maybe you'd be happy to share mascara, but not lipstick, say. I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.

Hey Ana,

I'm preparing to do this also in April and wish you Buen Camino! As for make-up....my perspective comes from my age of 53....leave it behind and focus on your inner beauty!

Cheri

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Honestly, since it will weigh hardly anything, the only reason I *wouldn't* take make-up with me is fear of judgement from other pilgrims, but in the end I try not to change my plans for reasons like that.

If you start in Saint Jean, a very amusing metaphor of what the Camino is all about is the huge "take what you want" bin at the albergue in Roncesvalles. Not only tons of makeup, but brand new Italian shoes, glitter nail polish, dresses, night gowns, books, gadgets, hairpins, hair brushes, hand mirrors, umbrellas, insect repellent, pillows, cutlery, bath towels, teddy bears (I swear!), jeans, fake jewelry and everything else that is not strictly essential for your comfort, hygiene and survival. A veritable bonfire of vanities. And if you manage to resist your first day of reality shock, you can always join the morning pilgrim queue in front of Pamplona's post office 2 days later...

If you start in Saint Jean, a very amusing metaphor of what the Camino is all about is the huge "take what you want" bin at the albergue in Roncesvalles. Not only tons of makeup, but brand new Italian shoes, glitter nail polish, dresses, night gowns, books, gadgets, hairpins, hair brushes, hand mirrors, umbrellas, insect repellent, pillows, cutlery, bath towels, teddy bears (I swear!), jeans, fake jewelry and everything else that is not strictly essential for your comfort, hygiene and survival. A veritable bonfire of vanities. And if you manage to resist your first day of reality shock, you can always join the morning pilgrim queue in front of Pamplona's post office 2 days later...

Bromeliad, that sounds like quite an amusing sight!

You'll be pleased to hear that I don't plan on bringing glitter nail polish (!!), soft toys (!!), or anything - single package of blusher aside - that isn't included on the most minimalistic of packing lists. At 4'11 and 53 kilos with a 30 litre pack, I must acknowledge the severe limits to my capacity for carting extra indulgences around! And should I find my single makeup product too heavy a burden, I will happily bin it while having a hearty chuckle at my own absurdity and vanity, something that I do not infrequently :)

tyrrek said:
Could make-up be a good way of getting to meet/bond and share with others? I don't know anything about it, but if a fellow peregrina who hasn't brought any make up is looking a bit regretful as you're applying it, can you share? I don't know how personal it is; maybe you'd be happy to share mascara, but not lipstick, say. I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.

That's really not a bad idea Tyrrek! Provided I don't end up binning my blush/lip creme I would be most pleased to share with any other peregrina (or peregrino, for that matter ;)) who wants to pretty up for dinner. I can just see it now... I'll share my makeup, they'll open the bottle of wine with the corkscrew they inadvisably brought, and by the end of the evening I'll have a new friend!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having just returned from my first Camino, I can honestly say that while I seldom go out without make-up at home, one of my pleasures on the Camino was not even thinking about make-up, hair, etc. I think the pink of my cheeks from sun would have "clashed" with blush anyway. As for meeting a potential suitor, I can't imagine a guy thinking "if only she had worn make-up." Also, sharing make-up is a no-no from a sanitary standpoint. Just my 2 cents worth.....

Hi Caitlin

A bottle opener/corkscrew would be vital if you were as over-enthusiastic about beer as I am! We all have our different requirements, but I think everyone deserves one little 'luxury' on the Camino. It might be a corkscrew, make-up, torch, gadgets...etc. The danger comes when your one little luxury turns into two, or three...

For me, part of the whole 'Camino experience' was discovering how I felt about what I did or didn't take/need/miss.

Buen Camino!

Keith

tyrrek said:
Honestly! You come on this forum to offer your (limited) advice to would-be pilgrims in order to 'give something back', and the moderators hurl accusations and abuse at you! Tut! :D

Back on subject. Personally, I prefer boots to shoes, as I think they affect my overall posture and make me 'want to walk'. I have absolutely no evidence for this being a general experience, though. Try on as many pairs as you can and see which ones give you 'ganas de marchar', so to speak.

I was going to say something about chaffing on behalf of the boys, but I don't think I'll go there now. :|

Keith

If I'm think'n where you going with the boys, I use sudocream when my crutch gets sore, wonderful!
XNG_HEgwTGqCeihSZO7eR-Tp2ThxRrYuHZ_W8D7nDwFLVjIe-TKS5gz8KjpwZGCwPR97h3OucQp-UQ1irUP7a4i3gzam5CLOKj87sG2YrcOj-nMDBWzzD6kze14Ibdg_HWp_SYeGFE291Js5YqgNSb2zeZXVr7iAWgUTyjULKJ3qiLfuQedog7s6c4rac9Nc6ui0vbhJ21-PGdbkVg

Ha ha. Abbeydore - you're definitely along the right lines!

I was wondering about the choice of undies for men, really. I had a couple of pairs of boxer shorts and a couple of the tighter jersey shorts (no reason for this, they were just what I happened it pick up when packing). I thought the looser material on the boxer shorts was chaffing a bit at times. Are there any recommended underwear choices for long distance walking, I wonder? Maybe the fabric is more important than the style.

the choice of undies for men
I suggest avoiding cotton for the same reason that you should avoid cotton socks -- the moisture build-up causes friction.

May I suggest bamboo undies for men? I wore them on the Camino to blissful effect.

I'm biased, because I actually have acres of the same species of bamboo (moso) from which the fabric is made, though not in Oz, of course. Here are my Camino briefs (made in China) hanging off some of my own bamboo.

undieboo.jpg

The blue pegs come courtesy of the local bower birds. I don't feel guilty about robbing their bowers when I need pegs or biros, since they strip my property of thousands of pieces of fruit every year.

Seriously, it's hard to beat bamboo for ventilation, dryness, low odour etc. I buy mine off the net, quite cheaply from Asia. I'm told Icebreaker wool is good for undies, but I can't yet bring myself to get too intimate with wool.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A bottle opener/corkscrew would be vital if you were as over-enthusiastic about beer as I am! We all have our different requirements, but I think everyone deserves one little 'luxury' on the Camino. It might be a corkscrew, make-up, torch, gadgets...etc. The danger comes when your one little luxury turns into two, or three...

I carry the corkscrew , make-up and torch, also camping pan and cutlery!

The make-up I don't use on the camino and I carry very little, lipstick, eye-liner and a tiny bottle of perfume, but I love to feel just a little human when I arrive in Santiago and at 64 I need any help I can get. My first camino I parted with stuff as I went along, only to discover I needed it later on. Kitchens in Galicia are ill equiped, there is always something missing, this last time I frequently carried a small box of wine in my emergency rations, so maybe I could manage without the bottle opener, but a bottle of wine is much more friendly. :D No advice is for everyone, for those who can afford to keep buying that's fine, for others you just take what you think you will need. (I carry first-aid too!)

Hi Sulu

I agree with you about arriving in Santiago. I made sure I was better shaved and cleaner(!!) than at most points along the rest of the way - it's a special day after all!

I still looked like a tramp, though.

(Edited: This doesn't mean that I think you looked like a tramp, by the way! Goodness, you read back what you've just written and realise you could cause horrible offence!)

Keith

Hi Robertt

Bamboo undies sound interesting, in a disturbing kind of way. As far as I remember there aren't any pandas on the Camino that might challenge you for them! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Keith!
(Edited: This doesn't mean that I think you looked like a tramp, by the way! Goodness, you read back what you've just written and realise you could cause horrible offence!)

No offence taken. I do look like a tramp on the camino, some women manage to look smart no matter what, I'm not one of them, hence the need for some make-up. :) Actually being in Santiago is the beginning of a return to daily life and for me just being a little, a very little, bit smarter is part of that.
I know from other threads that some people post clothes to themselves in Santiago, I just have what I've carried.
Sue

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Sue

I've only carried what I've worn (and vice versa) on my Caminos as well. Needless to say I didn't wear much of it ever again! As much as possible I take old t-shirts etc that are already consigned to the bin. (Hence, I probably looked like a tramp before I even started! Ha ha.)

I reckon people should stick to the 8-10kg bag limit as much as possible. What the 8-10kg consists of is 100% their own business, as long as they're clothed, warm, safe, comfortable and happy.

Keith

We don't carry any "Santiago stuff". We pay no attention to how we look on the camino. We do treat ourselves to new shirts upon arriving in Santiago (we've met several others who do the same), and I pick up a couple of cheapo makeup items and there we go.. Another pilgrimage over and we're just enjoying Santiago (clean and fresh) again.

robertt said:
May I suggest bamboo undies for men? I wore them on the Camino to blissful effect.

I'm biased, because I actually have acres of the same species of bamboo (moso) from which the fabric is made, though not in Oz, of course. Here are my Camino briefs (made in China) hanging off some of my own bamboo.

undieboo.jpg

The blue pegs come courtesy of the local bower birds. I don't feel guilty about robbing their bowers when I need pegs or biros, since they strip my property of thousands of pieces of fruit every year.

Seriously, it's hard to beat bamboo for ventilation, dryness, low odour etc. I buy mine off the net, quite cheaply from Asia. I'm told Icebreaker wool is good for undies, but I can't yet bring myself to get too intimate with wool.

I've been intimate with wool(icebreaker) for over 10yrs now, will be wearing some 10yr old stuff next April. Of course I'm a bit biased

:::laughing:: I love this forum!
It's like a bouquet...

Ok.. here are my 2 cents:

Hair. I cut my hair into a tiny pixie cut so I don't have to worry about it. Wash & wear. Dries fast. EZ

Make up. Never. Too much weight and not always a place to apply or take off. I haven't seen many with makeup.

Shoes. No boots for me. Lightweight running shoes 1 size too large with Motion Control gel inserts.

You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!
Buen Camino!

Just back from the Caminho Portuguese and...it was more than I thought it would be...for all the right reasons.

Speaking specifically about shoes/boots: I took some sage advice and tried the New Balance Men's walking low cuts with motion balance control. As it turned out, the original pair I bought three weeks prior to departure appeared two different shoe, though both were labeled: 12 2W. The right shoe felt too tight at the big toe. So, I went back and got a pair of 13s 2W. Worked like a champ. The only draw back may have been the motion balance control. For the first time ever, I developed a callus on the outside of my heel. Still, they were great shoes...light weight, Gortex and held up well.

I guess I could have used some discarded make up to reduce friction, then again, maybe not.

Bom Caminho,

Arn

Hi Arn!
Glad you're back and enjoyed it.
What did you think to the 'board- walk' at the beach? I'm sure those boards were less forgiving than much of the other strange surfaces I've walked on or maybe that was because I wear boots :?
I'm not going to investigate all terrain, all weather footwear, I'm sure there is plenty of advice on this forum. I'll stick with my boots and not walk the beach again :)
Sue

Sue,

We walked from downtown Porto out through the high rent part and thru a park to the entrance of Porto harbor at Castle Cheese, then along the boardwalk into the fishing section of the beach. At that point I decided to take the metro to Vila do Condo. So I effectively escaped some of the worst sections, though I love walking along the shoreline.

As it happens, I lengthened the number of kms per day up to 18 to 20 and finished two days earlier than planned.

The decision on the change in boots turned out to be a good one.

Arn

La Hormiguita, hi

I have tramped (walked) in several mountain ranges in middle New Zealand (NZ) and used some of that experience when doing some of the Camino in 2010.

I strongly echo the advice re footwear, both sock and shoes.
Three pairs of socks (see details in other posts) with one set of spares.

Shoes, in my view, should be a light as possible as your feet are what you have to lift the most. Again a spare pair to rest - alternate every couple of days. Mine will be made in China and cost about NZ $ 40.

The other thing to keep light is your pack. Our NZ custom (male and female) when walking is usually above the knee shorts (baggy if you prefer) and short sleeved shirt. Two of each. Your walking soon warms you up. Keep a parka (light nylon knee length jacket) close to hand. If it rains this goes over your head, your pack and shoulders with some way to loosely gather in front.

For evenings, wear a light long sleeve blouse/shirt with jersey (or use your parka for the latter).

Depending on the season a sleeping bag liner may be sufficient at night.

Water bottle and minimal toiletries - air travel compliant - complete the story.

But a friend of mine took some sachets of rolled oats to cook for breakfast - very light weight.

I have read advice (here or CSJ site) to keep total pack weight to about 7 kg (15 pounds???) Including everything except your clothes, socks and shoes worn when walking.

Re travel - unless you wish to visit Paris look at flights from London to, say, Biarritz - lot quicker and overall cost most probably considerably less if you can adjust your travel day.

Enjoy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ed,

thanks for the advice!

Anna :)
Hi, I plan on my first Camino in 2018 or 19. I could be alone and at then 76 would that be more of a problem. I plan to work up to the endurance of 20 km a day. At 75now I can manage 12-14.

Hi, I plan on my first Camino in 2018 or 19. I could be alone and at then 76 would that be more of a problem. I plan to work up to the endurance of 20 km a day. At 75now I can manage 12-14.
@Maddy1942 , you might want to start your own thread. You had added on to an old thread from 2011. I'm sure that you can do it! There are many your age and older who have walked the Camino.
Buen Camino!

Ok, one more question (last one! I promise!)
This one is for the girls: Makeup..? I know it sounds shallow, but I am still deciding if its worth the tiny extra weight/space in my backpack.. or is it not really worth the time and effort in the morning?

My mum insists I take at least mascara to look presentable in case I meet a "handsome young single man" :lol: (I'm 26 btw) lol to be honest, my motives for doing the camino are more about focusing on my "inner beauty" but then again I don't want to look like some shaggy haired hermit cave man when I arrive to Santiago!

Any advice/experience on this matter?
I know I am a man! and trust me when I say "the best make up for a lady - is a smile" - and it does not weigh anything. I think it is a Camino thing too, you present yourself too the world, just the way you are, no hiding behind a mask of cosmetics! and if you do meet a nice young man, a bit of smudged mascara wont help! Just be yourself, it's not a race, help your fellow pilgrims and you will be half way towards finding out what the Camino is all about, have a great Pilgrimage and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know I am a man! and trust me when I say "the best make up for a lady - is a smile" - and it does not weigh anything. I think it is a Camino thing too, you present yourself too the world, just the way you are, no hiding behind a mask of cosmetics! and if you do meet a nice young man, a bit of smudged mascara wont help! Just be yourself, it's not a race, help your fellow pilgrims and you will be half way towards finding out what the Camino is all about, have a great Pilgrimage and Buen Camino
She last visited the Forum in June of 2013, so her Camino has probably come and gone!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back