• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Primitivo: Tips for a Safe Solo Journey in 2022

Carla M.

Time of past OR future Camino
2022: Camino Primitivo
I am 50 years old and I am planning to do the Camino Primitivo this June.
I am reading a lot on line, and started to prepare physically and mentally, but have a lot of questions.
I plan on doing the Camino alone, but if it is not safe, should I look for a walking partner?
And is there a updated guide or app with the 2022 covid restrictions and hostels' information?
Thank you for all the information you can share.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan on doing the Camino alone, but if it is not safe, should I look for a walking partner?
And is there a updated guide or app with the 2022 covid restrictions and hostels' information?

Hi, Carla, Welcome to the forum!

There is a lot of information on the Primitivo sub-forum, which you could scroll through by going to this link.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🇪🇸camino-primitivo.34/

I‘m in my early 70s and have walked the Primitivo a number of times, most recently in September 2021. I have always started out alone, but met lots of people and sometimes fell into the proverbial “camino family.” This is a very popular camino, and there will be many people in June. I think the best way to meet up with someone with whom you get along and who walks about your distances and your pace is to just start walking alone and see who you coincide with.

The covid situation is ever changing, but what I found in 2021 is that most places were open, and people were sleeping in albergues. I went the private accommodation route and had everything reserved ahead of time. That was the first time I have walked a camino that way, and I have to say it left me feeling unsettled and a bit out of sorts. Just didn’t feel right to have everything arranged ahead of time. But with covid, I thought that was the right thing for me since I wanted to stay in private rooms.

There are lots of apps and guides, but for the Primitivo, I would just use gronze.com, not only because it has such good information, but also because it is one place that tries to keep the covid information up to date, noting closures and openings. But no app or online guide is going to have absolutely correct information because things change too quickly.

Lots of forum members have walked the Primitivo so feel free to fire away with specific questions! Buen camino, Laurie

There is a lot of information on the Primitivo sub-forum, which you could scroll through by going to this link.

I‘m in my early 70s and have walked the Primitivo a number of times, most recently in September 2021. I have always started out alone, but met lots of people and sometimes fell into the proverbial “camino family.” This is a very popular camino, and there will be many people in June. I think the best way to meet up with someone with whom you get along and who walks about your distances and your pace is to just start walking alone and see who you coincide with.

The covid situation is ever changing, but what I found in 2021 is that most places were open, and people were sleeping in albergues. I went the private accommodation route and had everything reserved ahead of time. That was the first time I have walked a camino that way, and I have to say it left me feeling unsettled and a bit out of sorts. Just didn’t feel right to have everything arranged ahead of time. But with covid, I thought that was the right thing for me since I wanted to stay in private rooms.

There are lots of apps and guides, but for the Primitivo, I would just use gronze.com, not only because it has such good information, but also because it is one place that tries to keep the covid information up to date, noting closures and openings. But no app or online guide is going to have absolutely correct information because things change too quickly.

Lots of forum members have walked the Primitivo so feel free to fire away with specific questions! Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie for all the information and tips,
I already had a look at gronse.com and it looks very promising, I will definitely explore it further. I will also have a look at the sub-forum.
Thanks
Carla

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lots of great apps and guides. But if you want to carry a paper back-up the Village to Village map guide is the smallest and lightest available. Watch out for your feet on the descents and enjoy a mountain high. Buen Camino.

I am reading a lot on line, and started to prepare physically and mentally, but have a lot of questions.
I did this Camino in 2019 at the ripe old age of 62 and while I found it physically demanding it was eminently doable. On that walk I spent a half a stage with a young Dutch vegan girl walking her first ever Camino - and alone into the bargain. She said that she felt completely safe on the way.
Sadly as the last 2 years have shown it is impossible to predict how things are going to develop Covid-wise - one just has to take a deep breath and leap.

👍🏻

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of great apps and guides. But if you want to carry a paper back-up the Village to Village map guide is the smallest and lightest available. Watch out for your feet on the descents and enjoy a mountain high. Buen Camino.
Thanks. I do prefer a paper guide, but due to covid I was afraid most information could be outdated. I found this 2022 edition (https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...sa-through-oviedo-to-santiago-de-compostela-1) but do not know how much does it weight

Hello Carla

I am 66 and also planning to walk the Primitivo alone this May so interested to read all the replies that you get to your query.

Hi Carla. I am heading off on the Primitivo in early June. I have been planning this with a friend and we have booked and cancelled twice due to covid. Unfortunately my friend in her 70's is likely to be too ill this year to join me, so I plan to go by myself. We might bump into each other. I so hope it goes ahead. I live in New Zealand and there are many hurdles still to overcome re overseas travel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Carla. I am heading off on the Primitivo in early June. I have been planning this with a friend and we have booked and cancelled twice due to covid. Unfortunately my friend in her 70's is likely to be too ill this year to join me, so I plan to go by myself. We might bump into each other. I so hope it goes ahead. I live in New Zealand and there are many hurdles still to overcome re overseas travel.
Lots in common on this thread. I'm planning to start the Primitivo from Villaviciosa in late May or early June.

Carla-
I also plan to walk the Primitivo in June. The peregrinas/os from this forum will provide invaluable data to help you plan and embark on your camino. Best of luck and Buen Camino !!!!

Tomas

I am a fellow Kiwi and understand any reservations you have but feel it is time to bite the bullet and go so intend to start late May.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Carla-
I also plan to walk the Primitivo in June. The peregrinas/os from this forum will provide invaluable data to help you plan and embark on your camino. Best of luck and Buen Camino !!!!

Tomas
Thank you Tomas,
I am very excited, but also with lots of concerns and doubts, especially as I am doing the Camino alone and my physical condition is not that great after almost 2 pandemic years working from home.

And you are right, I was very surprised with the amount of shared information and people wanting to help. I appreciate it deeply and hope to be able to return.
Buen Camino for you too :)

I am a fellow Kiwi and understand any reservations you have but feel it is time to bite the bullet and go so intend to start late May.
So agree. Where are you off to Robyn? I went to Germany last year to help my brother with sick, elderly parents and took the opportunity to do a couple of pilgrim routes in Germany. It was a very solitary experience, but great to be back on the trails.
I intend to go, if at all possible.
Travel insurance wise, I normally have free cover via visa card, but like all insurances, they don't cover you, while Do Not Travel warning is in place or comes into place during your trip.
Last year, I only realized that, after I got back!

So agree. Where are you off to Robyn? I went to Germany last year to help my brother with sick, elderly parents and took the opportunity to do a couple of pilgrim routes in Germany. It was a very solitary experience, but great to be back on the trails.
I intend to go, if at all possible.
Travel insurance wise, I normally have free cover via visa card, but like all insurances, they don't cover you, while Do Not Travel warning is in place or comes into place during your trip.
Last year, I only realized that, after I got back!
Hello Gitti ?
I am heading Barcelona then Santiago de Compostela to drop off a bag before catching the bus to Oviedo. Start walking after a couple of days rest. After Primitivo spending a few days in Muxia before heading to Ireland. Plan on being away from NZ for 4 months but have a backstop - family in Queensland in case I can't get back in to NZ for some reason. I saw a thread which mentioned that Spain has a policy to help any foreigners who catch Covid - I think it was on the following website https://www.spth.gob.es/
Our travel insurance is Ok for everything else, just nothing Covid related unless you happen to be going to the Cook Islands.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Gitti ?
I am heading Barcelona then Santiago de Compostela to drop off a bag before catching the bus to Oviedo. Start walking after a couple of days rest. After Primitivo spending a few days in Muxia before heading to Ireland. Plan on being away from NZ for 4 months but have a backstop - family in Queensland in case I can't get back in to NZ for some reason. I saw a thread which mentioned that Spain has a policy to help any foreigners who catch Covid - I think it was on the following website https://www.spth.gob.es/
Our travel insurance is Ok for everything else, just nothing Covid related unless you happen to be going to the Cook Islands.
Are you sure your travel insurance will cover you even if Do Not Travel warning from NZ government is in place???
Which insurance Co do you use???

Are you sure your travel insurance will cover you even if Do Not Travel warning from NZ government is in place???
Which insurance Co do you use???
In the General Exclusions it does not cover any loss, damage, liability, death or incapacity directly or indirectly caused by or arising from "the NZ government's recommendation that travel not be taken to that country if issued prior to the purchase of the insurance whether essential or non-essential". That is the Allianz policy. I took that to mean anything arising out of Covid. I might investigate more....

Here is the link to the Galicia info I mentioned -

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the General Exclusions it does not cover any loss, damage, liability, death or incapacity directly or indirectly caused by or arising from "the NZ government's recommendation that travel not be taken to that country if issued prior to the purchase of the insurance whether essential or non-essential". That is the Allianz policy. I took that to mean anything arising out of Covid. I might investigate more....

Here is the link to the Galicia info I mentioned -
I would love to know, what you uncover.
Thank you.

I'm new to the Camino, but my copy of that little book just arrived. I can't vouch for it's usefulness yet, but it weighs 102 g.
Thanks. I did a first estimate and my backpack is almost 10 kg, I am 2 kg over my target, so every gram count, but I am going to try to fit the book

Totally safe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would love to know, what you uncover.
Thank you.
I have confirmed my understanding with the insurance company - no cover for anything related to Covid (cancellations, treatment, delays, interrupted travel etc) unless in a "Safe to Visit" country but anything else is covered.

I'm also planning to walk the Primitivo this year. Do I need to take a tent in case or are there plenty of places to stay?

I'm also planning to walk the Primitivo this year. Do I need to take a tent in case or are there plenty of places to stay?
I think that there are enough places to stay along the way that you will be fine, so long as you are able to spring for private rooms if the albergues fill up. The municipal albergue in Grado fills up quickly, but there are other options, both a private albergue and pensiones. The one potential bottleneck is Berducedo. I would reserve there a day or so ahead, or walk further on to La Mesa where there is a private albergue, which also has private rooms.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Carla

My friend and I are 60, first time pilgrims, and doing the Primitivo starting June 1 or 2. Since we live in different states—Nevada and California—we are meeting in Oviedo on May 31st. We may take a few more days than typical so we don’t tax ourselves and we want to explore a few churches. We are staying at the Soho Boutique Hotel on the 31st if you want to find us. Julia and Laura.

Last edited:
Hi Carla

My friend and I are 60, first time pilgrims, and doing the Primitivo starting June 1 or 2. Since we live in different states—Nevada and California—we are meeting in Ocivedo on May 31st. We may take a few more days than typical so we don’t tax ourselves and we want to explore a few churches. We are staying at the Green Hostel on the 31st if you want to find us. Julia and Laura.
I am also planning the Primitivo starting June 2. In Oviedo 2 nights prior. El Tendejon on June 2.
We may meet up in Oviedo for a glass of wine?
I am staying at Soho Boutique Hotel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is all great to read! I am also walking the Primativo starting in mid-June. I walked it in 2019 with my then freshly-graduated-from-high-school daughter. This time I will be walking with my husband and a friend of ours. I agree with others...the Camino felt safe last time we did it, and I hope it will be the same this time. I appreciate all the perspectives that others have to offer here. Buen Camino!

Hi Carla

My friend and I are 60, first time pilgrims, and doing the Primitivo starting June 1 or 2. Since we live in different states—Nevada and California—we are meeting in Oviedo on May 31st. We may take a few more days than typical so we don’t tax ourselves and we want to explore a few churches. We are staying at the Soho Boutique Hotel on the 31st if you want to find us. Julia and Laura.

I am also planning the Primitivo starting June 2. In Oviedo 2 nights prior. El Tendejon on June 2.

I am starting from Oviedo on June 12 so I will miss that glass of wine. Maybe we will meet in Santiago and share Camino experiences.
I hope you all a good Camino, and if you can, share it here in the forum :)

I am starting on April 29th from Oviedo walking solo. This is my third Camino and I am 66 years old this year. I have been walking a good bit getting ready. My pack is now down to 12 pounds so I have room for some water weight. My first Camino I was at 17 pounds at the start and then started leaving things in donation bins each morning.

If you are wearing all of your clothes on the coldest day, you packed right. :)

I will be keeping a daily Blog -- but I don't have the address until next week.

Good luck! Buen Camino!

€60,-
I am starting on April 29th from Oviedo walking solo. This is my third Camino and I am 66 years old this year. I have been walking a good bit getting ready. My pack is now down to 12 pounds so I have room for some water weight. My first Camino I was at 17 pounds at the start and then started leaving things in donation bins each morning.

If you are wearing all of your clothes on the coldest day, you packed right. :)

I will be keeping a daily Blog -- but I don't have the address until next week.

Good luck! Buen Camino!
It will be great to hear from you in the Camino. As my departure date approaches (june 12) so my insecurities grow.
And I am seriously impressed with your 12 pounds (so far I could only manage 16,5 pounds, so I guess I will feed the donation boxes throughout Camino Primitivo).
Bueno Camino

The pack weight just comes with lots of small choices.

For example I will walk only in trail runners and have some light weight sandals for showers and town walking. Leave the Tevas (11 oz) home for Xeros (5 oz). Also usually only bring a silk liner, but I am also bringing a down throw (14 oz) to use as a blanket -- no sleeping bag.

Also, I never needed supplemental batteries for my phone on my two previous caminos. Using only wifi there are plenty of places to plug in. I carried a battery brick in the past.

When you get down to it -- set aside the clothes you will be wearing and check your pack again.

On the clothes end two top, two bottom, three socks, three underwear, a fleece, and a windshell (zpack 1.6 oz).

I have done some backpacking on the AT and extra weight is always food for me, so the lighter the load the better I eat. On the Camino -- food and cafe con leche await at every stop.

Don't get stressed -- the Camino provides. Also, there are stores all along the way so if you leave something home feel you need you can buy it.

The pack weight just comes with lots of small choices.

For example I will walk only in trail runners and have some light weight sandals for showers and town walking. Leave the Tevas (11 oz) home for Xeros (5 oz). Also usually only bring a silk liner, but I am also bringing a down throw (14 oz) to use as a blanket -- no sleeping bag.

Also, I never needed supplemental batteries for my phone on my two previous caminos. Using only wifi there are plenty of places to plug in. I carried a battery brick in the past.

When you get down to it -- set aside the clothes you will be wearing and check your pack again.

On the clothes end two top, two bottom, three socks, three underwear, a fleece, and a windshell (zpack 1.6 oz).

I have done some backpacking on the AT and extra weight is always food for me, so the lighter the load the better I eat. On the Camino -- food and cafe con leche await at every stop.

Don't get stressed -- the Camino provides. Also, there are stores all along the way so if you leave something home feel you need you can buy it.
As I see your suggestions I think "I have to take the sleeping bag because I get cold at night", "I have to take the power bank because I am walking alone and can't take the risk of being with no phone", "I have to...."
You get the idea. As someone said, you pack your fears, and I will really be out of my comfort zone.
I hope I can leave the fears behind along with the stone I am carrying.
Thanks for sharing your tips

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I see your suggestions I think "I have to take the sleeping bag because I get cold at night", "I have to take the power bank because I am walking alone and can't take the risk of being with no phone", "I have to...."
You get the idea. As someone said, you pack your fears, and I will really be out of my comfort zone.
I hope I can leave the fears behind along with the stone I am carrying.
Thanks for sharing your tips
To comment on one item…the power bank. I understand your fear. But there are choices here. I had a 16 oz power brick I carry in my work bag that can give two full charges. There also small power banks about the size of lipstick that give 30% power charge. The small one is enough for an emergency on the Camino. Also, I walk with phone in airplane mode so it lasts for two days or more.

Put your fears in that stone.

“Lord, may this stone, a symbol of my efforts on the pilgrimage that I lay at the foot of the cross, weigh the balance in favour of my good deeds some day when the deeds of my life are judged. let it be so.”

Hi Carla! It’s been a number of weeks since you posted and I am curious if you are still set to go on the Primitivo? My friend and I are leaving this weekend and are set to start from Oviedo on Thursday 2 de junio.

Hey Gittiharre,

Have you been successful in making a reservation in El Tendejon? I’ve tried to contact Fernando via email with no success. The municipal albergue doesn’t take reservations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Gittiharre,

Have you been successful in making a reservation in El Tendejon? I’ve tried to contact Fernando via email with no success. The municipal albergue doesn’t take reservations.
I called them and made a reservation.
I had no luck with emails.

Hold. I am 66 years old and currently in the middle of walking Camino Primitivo on my own. I have had no problems as you meet up with other peregrinos along the way. I have been using the Buen Camino app for info along the way. At the moment there are not really any restrictions that I have seen however, while not compulsory, it is good to wear a mask when in the smaller villages to help put the locals people at ease.

It is perfectly safe but a lot of up and down. So trim your toenails WAY BACK so you don’t bang them into the front of your foot wear. Make a reservation with David at his Bodenaya albergue. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Carla! It’s been a number of weeks since you posted and I am curious if you are still set to go on the Primitivo? My friend and I are leaving this weekend and are set to start from Oviedo on Thursday 2 de junio.
Hi @wanderlustesq , yes, I am!
I will arrive in Oviedo in the june 11 and start walking in june 12. This forum has been my life saver in terms of preparation, but as it gets closer to due day I have a mix of anxiety and fear. I try not to listen to the fears (and to some family that thinks I am crazy), and keep in mind why I want and need to do this.
Will you be posting on the trail ?

Hi @wanderlustesq , yes, I am!
I will arrive in Oviedo in the june 11 and start walking in june 12. This forum has been my life saver in terms of preparation, but as it gets closer to due day I have a mix of anxiety and fear. I try not to listen to the fears (and to some family that thinks I am crazy), and keep in mind why I want and need to do this.
Will you be posting on the trail ?
I’m planning to! We are taking a few slower days in the beginning to build up stamina, but I’ll let you know how it’s going.

Hold. I am 66 years old and currently in the middle of walking Camino Primitivo on my own. I have had no problems as you meet up with other peregrinos along the way. I have been using the Buen Camino app for info along the way. At the moment there are not really any restrictions that I have seen however, while not compulsory, it is good to wear a mask when in the smaller villages to help put the locals people at ease.
I hope you are having a good Camino.
How are the nights? it is necessary to take a sleeping bag? To cut down the weight I was thinking about taking a liner and a light scarf (that could double as a blanket).

€60,-
It is perfectly safe but a lot of up and down. So trim your toenails WAY BACK so you don’t bang them into the front of your foot wear. Make a reservation with David at his Bodenaya albergue. Buen Camino
Thanks Jerry, I did make a reservation in Bodenaya albergue following a suggestion in the forum. But it will all depend if I can keep the scheduled stages. Only once I start walking I will know.
I already have boots that are one size bigger than my usual and will trim the toenails :)

I’m planning to! We are taking a few slower days in the beginning to build up stamina, but I’ll let you know how it’s going.
I will keep an eye for you :)
I really appreciate the peregrinos that share their journey, the good and the not so good.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back