A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

First time walker/hiker: Combine Camino Vadiniense AND Camino Primitivo?

Camino(s) past & future
None so far!
Dear all,

I'm a little bit overwhelmed by this rich - yet fantastic- resource online. I am trying to figure out one thing before heading to Bilbao mid-July for my first-time camino and maybe one of you could help:

I'd like to see the Picos and then head to the mountainous Camino Primitivo. Has anybody done this before and could recommend it? I see it's quite common to do the Camino Vadiniense and then head to Camino Frances though the latter one does not attract me too much given the crowds. I think I'd start in San Vicente de la Barquera.

I unfortunately only have ca. 16 hiking days (from ca 17 July - 02 August as I'm flying into Bilbao in and out on, so I need to take at least two days of travel into account). I'm pretty fit and I love hiking in the mountains, so physically I think I could manage it...it's more on the practical side of things, where I'd appreciate any hints/tips & tricks.

Many thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Nadja

Advertisment

M

mikevasey

Hi Nadja have you thought about the San Salvador route, it starts in Leon is about 110 km long, goes through a mountain region connecting with the Primitivo in Oviedo. The British CSJ ( Confraternity of St James) do a very good guide, you can get a copy from the net. It will be busy but the Primitivo will be as well.

Buen Camino

oursonpolaire

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Doing the Vadiniense is not common at all. During my Vadiniense three years ago, I was the only pilgrim for the entire trek. I think that it would be sensible to do either the Vadiniense or the Primitivo--doing both would require about 20-25 days. Mikevasey's suggestion of the Salvador out of Leon, connecting to the Primitivo in Oviedo, would be more do-able. But note that they are both very demanding trails, and require that the pilgrim be very very fit. I would not say that the Primitivo is busy-- when I did it in October of 2013 and 2014, there were about 15-25 pilgrims per stage.

Camino(s) past & future
Future - Frances -July (2015)!
Doing the Vadiniense is not common at all. During my Vadiniense three years ago, I was the only pilgrim for the entire trek. I think that it would be sensible to do either the Vadiniense or the Primitivo--doing both would require about 20-25 days. Mikevasey's suggestion of the Salvador out of Leon, connecting to the Primitivo in Oviedo, would be more do-able. But note that they are both very demanding trails, and require that the pilgrim be very very fit. I would not say that the Primitivo is busy-- when I did it in October of 2013 and 2014, there were about 15-25 pilgrims per stage.

Camino(s) past & future
Hi mate - I pretty much asked the same question just now - except I have longer to do it - still not sure if it's enough - when are you going? I cannot possibly bypass the Picos and admire them from afar...

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
None so far!
Dear Mike, Oursonpolaire,

thanks so much for your speedy and very helpful answers! I think I got my route then! Starting in Leon going through mountains and then taking the Primitivo (I can't get enough of (high) mountains and I was not planning to end up in Santiago de Compostela anyway given the rather short amount of time I have). Thank you again!

And Markus: yes, the Picos look amazing and was wondering also for a long time how to plan it --I will do a little bit more research and then decide. I'll get into Bilbao on 16 July and then have time until 02/03 August (and I do not have the aim to be somewhere by someday - I just want to have a good time walking in hills/mountains). Good luck to you also with the research!

Best,
Nadja

Camino(s) past & future
hi nadja

I am on my way now - v excited !

Check out the GR74 and GR71 trails - you might have to type spain into your search otherwise it comes up with French routes

angulero

No sé si el traductor hizo bien su labor, pero entiendo que os queréis adentrar en Picos de Europa. Si es así os aviso que no es un terreno fácil y hay que preparar bien las rutas porque no es complicado perderse. Este enlace es de un foro dedicado a Picos de Europa. Ahí os pueden aclarar muchas dudas.

Las rutas que habéis puesto no son de Picos de Europa.

Hay sitios muy bonitos y menos complicados para hacer rutas de senderismo tanto en Asturias como en Cantabria. Os dejo un enlace donde se hay muchas opciones.

I do not know if the translator did his work, but I understand that you may want to delve into Picos de Europa. If so, be warned that it is not easy terrain and have to prepare well because it is not complicated routes lost. This link is a forum dedicated to Picos de Europa. There you can clarify many doubts.

http://www.foropicos.net/foro/index.php

Routes that have set are not Picos de Europa.

There are very beautiful and less complicated to hiking trails both in Asturias and Cantabria sites. I leave a link where there are many options.

http://losdelasclaras.blogspot.com.es/search/label/LISTADO

Camino(s) past & future
None so far!
Hello all, I thought I give an update...in the end I did not choose any of these caminos, as I thought I needed high altitude (to escape a little bit the heat) and to have lots of nature. So I chose the GR11 trail in the Pyrenees (from Candanchu to La Guingueta d'Aneau) and it was just mindblowing. Physically of course challenging (two days in heavy rain and storm), but it was so worth it. Along the way, the route was actually joint with the Camino, so I frequently reminded about my original plan!
One day, I find my way to the Picos and maybe later on a different camino again.
Thanks and all the best to all for future caminos.
Cheers,
Nadja

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June