A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

First Time Walker

chax

Hi all !!!

Finally i made up my mind and i am starting the French Cammino on the 18th of September. However i must say a big 'thank you' to you who leaded me to plug up courage and decide to do it !! Thank you people !!

I got about 19 - 20 days on the Cammino, however i got no idea where to start ...... I do not want to make a race out of it, however i do not walk to have a lazy cammino neither!!!! I did some trekking before. Any suggestions ???

Thanks you all

chax

marktqm

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2006)
Chax,

Start from the farthest point. You won't be able to reach Santiago this year but you can finish it later.

If you intend to reach Santiago in 2 to 3 weeks, start from Leon -- you'll have enough time to stay longer in Santiago and take a day trip to Fisterra. Burgos may be a bit too far given your time constraint, but it can be done with long stages.

Mark

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
20 days camino

Hi Chax,
If I only had 20 days, I would walk the first two weeks from St Jean or Roncesvalles as they are the MOST beautiful - and then I would walk the last 6 days from Sarria so that I could walk into Santiago (and earn the Compostela of course!).
Whatever you decide have a wonderful walk.

hmmm.... that is a difficult amount of time. It depends on your motivations- are you in it for the compostella or the experience? If it is the experience of walking, I say start in Saint Jean and go from there, not skipping anything. Get as far as however you do, and then you can finish it up later if you want. I know if I had taken a bus in the middle, or not started in St Jean, I would personally have felt like I cheated myself. But, that is just me. The walk itself, and the people I got to know in the process were MUCH more valuable to me than the Compostella, but then again, I wasn't doing it for spiritual reasons.

If you want the compostella, either start in st jean and then take a bus in the middle, or start in Leon or a little before.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%