• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Walker

chax

Hi all !!!

Finally i made up my mind and i am starting the French Cammino on the 18th of September. However i must say a big 'thank you' to you who leaded me to plug up courage and decide to do it !! Thank you people !!

I got about 19 - 20 days on the Cammino, however i got no idea where to start ...... I do not want to make a race out of it, however i do not walk to have a lazy cammino neither!!!! I did some trekking before. Any suggestions ???

Thanks you all

chax

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Chax,

Start from the farthest point. You won't be able to reach Santiago this year but you can finish it later.

If you intend to reach Santiago in 2 to 3 weeks, start from Leon -- you'll have enough time to stay longer in Santiago and take a day trip to Fisterra. Burgos may be a bit too far given your time constraint, but it can be done with long stages.

Mark

20 days camino

Hi Chax,
If I only had 20 days, I would walk the first two weeks from St Jean or Roncesvalles as they are the MOST beautiful - and then I would walk the last 6 days from Sarria so that I could walk into Santiago (and earn the Compostela of course!).
Whatever you decide have a wonderful walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
hmmm.... that is a difficult amount of time. It depends on your motivations- are you in it for the compostella or the experience? If it is the experience of walking, I say start in Saint Jean and go from there, not skipping anything. Get as far as however you do, and then you can finish it up later if you want. I know if I had taken a bus in the middle, or not started in St Jean, I would personally have felt like I cheated myself. But, that is just me. The walk itself, and the people I got to know in the process were MUCH more valuable to me than the Compostella, but then again, I wasn't doing it for spiritual reasons.

If you want the compostella, either start in st jean and then take a bus in the middle, or start in Leon or a little before.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back