• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Walker

chax

Hi all !!!

Finally i made up my mind and i am starting the French Cammino on the 18th of September. However i must say a big 'thank you' to you who leaded me to plug up courage and decide to do it !! Thank you people !!

I got about 19 - 20 days on the Cammino, however i got no idea where to start ...... I do not want to make a race out of it, however i do not walk to have a lazy cammino neither!!!! I did some trekking before. Any suggestions ???

Thanks you all

chax

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Chax,

Start from the farthest point. You won't be able to reach Santiago this year but you can finish it later.

If you intend to reach Santiago in 2 to 3 weeks, start from Leon -- you'll have enough time to stay longer in Santiago and take a day trip to Fisterra. Burgos may be a bit too far given your time constraint, but it can be done with long stages.

Mark

20 days camino

Hi Chax,
If I only had 20 days, I would walk the first two weeks from St Jean or Roncesvalles as they are the MOST beautiful - and then I would walk the last 6 days from Sarria so that I could walk into Santiago (and earn the Compostela of course!).
Whatever you decide have a wonderful walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hmmm.... that is a difficult amount of time. It depends on your motivations- are you in it for the compostella or the experience? If it is the experience of walking, I say start in Saint Jean and go from there, not skipping anything. Get as far as however you do, and then you can finish it up later if you want. I know if I had taken a bus in the middle, or not started in St Jean, I would personally have felt like I cheated myself. But, that is just me. The walk itself, and the people I got to know in the process were MUCH more valuable to me than the Compostella, but then again, I wasn't doing it for spiritual reasons.

If you want the compostella, either start in st jean and then take a bus in the middle, or start in Leon or a little before.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back