• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walker!

Wayfarer1

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Hi, I'm a first time walker of the trail, all the way from NZ! I'm very excited, but, as it seems with a lot of the first time posts on here, also overwhelmed with the thought. I've loved reading people's advise and suggestions, it's been very reassuring for this first timer.
I do have a couple of questions though, regarding water, how easily accessible is it on the trail, and what containers have people found the most useful?
My second question is for those who combine the trail with other travel. I'm starting in Nice, then travelling down to Sahagun to begin the trail, then after I'm traveling down to Portugal. I've heard it is possible to have extra luggage transported to an end point, for example from Sahagun to Santiago, does anyone have a reliable way they've done this?

Thank you, I appreciate all your advice!
Wayfarer rat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do have a couple of questions though, regarding water, how easily accessible is it on the trail, and what containers have people found the most useful?

There are lots of places to refill water, from public fountains on the trail to shops and bars in the towns. How you carry it is up to personal preference. Some people prefer bottles, others hydration bladders.

My second question is for those who combine the trail with other travel. I'm starting in Nice, then travelling down to Sahagun to begin the trail, then after I'm traveling down to Portugal. I've heard it is possible to have extra luggage transported to an end point, for example from Sahagun to Santiago, does anyone have a reliable way they've done this?

You can mail your extra things via the Spanish post office Correos. You can mail to another post office or the main office in Santiago.

Or you can mail to @ivar

Hi, I'm a first time walker of the trail, all the way from NZ! I'm very excited, but, as it seems with a lot of the first time posts on here, also overwhelmed with the thought. I've loved reading people's advise and suggestions, it's been very reassuring for this first timer.

Thank you, I appreciate all your advice!
Wayfarer rat
There is potable water pretty much everywhere. As well as Fuentes you’ll find that your accommodation and any bar or cafe you stop at will fill your containers. The bottles vs bladder discussion has been rehearsed on here often and the conclusion is always ‘whatever you prefer’.

You can send luggage within Spain from spring to autumn very easily. A simple (and reliable) option is via correos to Ivar in Santiago.

The means of doing that is easily found on here, just do a bit of searching or wait a moment and someone with no pressing engagements (it’s a bit full in this pub) will point you in the right direction.

(A few moments later: Trecile’s reply above is correct)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome! We missed the friendly Kiwies in the past years,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
NZ is on my bucket list. So I have no idea how your water taste like, but I guess I do not lean myself too far out of the window it will be different in Spain France Portugal as well as a diet change untill you adjust to it you may encounter maybe some change with your digestive system, may I say the D word? Good hand hygiene charcoal tablets black tea and yogurt may help. Water bladder, collapsing bottle folding bottle, but I seem not to be able to walk and drink at the same time, but that is more likely a me problem. Get youself a soda in a sturdy bottle maybe 2 and then get a a contraption that closes like a bottle cap with a long straw , so you can have the bottle on the outside of you backpack but can drink without having to take it off
1674844053366.jpeg it worked well for me . But try it out at home to see if this would work for you.

Thanks for the straw advice! Yes, it does taste very different, nothing bad, but yes, different. Thankfully I've visited Spain a couple of times, so the diet changes are something I'm aware of as well. I always take things to help with the dreaded D word, but to date I've been lucky.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.